As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2018 [Hotel] Partners and Discussion

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
Need a place to stay? PAX has you covered!

https://compass.onpeak.com/e/012604497/

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Ok, Westin room get. Not a fan that it took so long for them to post the link though.

XyqJPIp.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was available at the end of the registration process I believe?

I'm always more hard pressed about the hotel than the passes, personally.

XyqJPIp.png
  • builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The Westin wasn't available for the days/room I selected so I got the Aloft. I've never stayed in a hotel this close to the convention center before, so this is a major upgrade for me! :)

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Titan222Titan222 Registered User regular
    My badges were paid for when the twitter notification hit. I was able to click the link at the end of the registration process to snag a reservation for Aloft. Great Success!

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    Apparently the hotels opened before the tickets were on sale. I collaborate with like 8 other people for PAX and one of them was able to drum up the link 5 minutes before tickets dropped on twitter. They must be available directly from OnPeak when the event is set to live.

builderr0r wrote: »
    The Westin wasn't available for the days/room I selected so I got the Seaport. I've never stayed in a hotel this close to the convention center before, so this is a major upgrade for me! :)

Honestly, a lot of people would argue the Seaport is the best choice, so you're definitely in a good spot.

XyqJPIp.png
    havok978 wrote: »
    The Westin wasn't available for the days/room I selected so I got the Seaport. I've never stayed in a hotel this close to the convention center before, so this is a major upgrade for me! :)

Honestly, a lot of people would argue the Seaport is the best choice, so you're definitely in a good spot.

I actually meant the "Aloft Boston Seaport." Didn't realize there was also a Seaport Hotel!

steam_sig.png
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Scored the needed space at the Seaport. I is happy.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    The Westin wasn't available for the days/room I selected so I got the Aloft. I've never stayed in a hotel this close to the convention center before, so this is a major upgrade for me! :)

Aloft is definitely a solid hotel!

FYI, later in the day, after the queue hall is cleared out and what not, you can use the side entrance of the BCEC to just walk straight across the street to your hotel. Pretty convenient.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    I got quad spots in the Aloft AND the Element. Not sure which one is better. Probably Element, since it has a kitchen? Has anyone stayed at either of these?

• SugarToezSugarToez Registered User regular
    Whoever just dropped a wednesday 2B at seaport earned a drink on me

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    I got Element, aloft was missing Saturday. Same as Westin.

zmYaVYP.png
  • SilverspudSilverspud Registered User regular
    I got the Westin this year. First time I've ever hit the mark on that.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

The Seaport Hotel is definitely the best hotel. It's just also not connected to the convention center.

• RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    Seaport isnt totally that bad but the aloft/element boston i think would be better. And UGHHH as i was typing in my reservation for the element boston it got booked. Now time to find room share people....

xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    I'm in the Yotel for now. Hoping to get something closer in the coming weeks/months.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I actually meant the "Aloft Boston Seaport." Didn't realize there was also a Seaport Hotel!

Honestly getting in the Westin is a pipedream that a lot of us chase but I can definitely say the Seaport, the Renaissance, and the Aloft are fantastic. Each has their perks. The Seaport has a really short walk in the morning to the entrance, the renaissance has a hidden starbucks that no one goes to, and the aloft has an extremely short walk in the evening (due to being able to go right across the street from the side exits).

I'm in the Aloft again this year and I'm not disappointed in the slightest.

Solanales on

P0P7S6y.png
  • pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    I got quad spots in the Aloft AND the Element. Not sure which one is better. Probably Element, since it has a kitchen? Has anyone stayed at either of these?

Element is an extended stay hotel, so it's got the kitchenette, and it's a bit more spacious. I'd recommend Element over Aloft.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    Solanales wrote: »

Honestly getting in the Westin is a pipedream that a lot of us chase

Yeah, I got in a few minutes early thanks to another Forumer posting the hotel link, and already the Westin only had single-bed, and I think for only some of the days. They probably had about two and a half rooms available.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

Honestly getting in the Westin is a pipedream that a lot of us chase but I can definitely say the Seaport, the Renaissance, and the Aloft are fantastic. Each has their perks. The Seaport has a really short walk in the morning to the entrance, the renaissance has a hidden starbucks that no one goes to, and the aloft has an extremely short walk in the evening (due to being able to go right across the street from the side exits).

I'm in the Aloft again this year and I'm not disappointed in the slightest.

...I'd forgotten about the Secret Starbucks (TM) when I made my booking.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png

Truthfully, the only real selling point that the Westin has going for it is its direct connection to the convention center. The walk to Renaissance and Seaport really isn't that bad, and now with the Aloft and Element you have options basically across the street. If you need that direct connection then by all means go for it, but you're perfectly fine anywhere within that "Big 5." And like I said before, many people would argue that those other hotels are better choices for various reasons anyway. There was a point where I would lose my mind if I didn't get the Westin but I'm honestly not that hard pressed anymore as long as I'm in that area.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    zerzhul wrote: »

The Seaport Hotel is definitely the best hotel. It's just also not connected to the convention center.

I have stayed at the Westin, Seaport, and Renaissance multiple times and I can confirm the Seaport is our favorite of the "big three" in South Boston. I pass up chances for the Westin now to get rooms there. Its not THE closest but its pretty damn close. The Aloft and Element are new and haven't tried them yet so I'd love to get feedback from people who have stayed there as I might try it in future years, depending.

But yes as Zerzhul said, the Seaport is a really good grab so get hyped! :P

Commander Cain on
    E68SJmZ.png
    I'm just happy about being in walking distance for once!

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2017
    *message deleted, answer found*

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

I have stayed at the Westin, Seaport, and Renaissance multiple times and I can confirm the Seaport is our favorite of the "big three" in South Boston. I pass up chances for the Westin now to get rooms there. Its not THE closest but its pretty damn close. The Aloft and Element are new and haven't tried them yet so I'd love to get feedback from people who have stayed there as I might try it in future years, depending.

But yes as Zerzhul said, the Seaport is a really good grab so get hyped! :P

I stayed there last year. The rooms aren't large by any means but the restaurant downstairs was pretty good and the availability of fresh fruits as well as drinks and pastries in their shop is quite a nice addition. The rooms are well laid out, but as i said it probably wouldnt be great for someone trying to fit more than 2 people in a double occupancy. The place is well maintained and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly, and the short walk at night back to the door made it an easy call to rebook there.

I like the rooms at the renaissance better, but that short evening walk when your feet are already on fire by day 2 is a nice break lol.

P0P7S6y.png
  • rpgamer246rpgamer246 Registered User regular
    I’ve stayed at the aloft the last 2 years and while it is cramped, I like it. This year though I got the element because it’s more spacious and with it having a kitchen I can go food shopping

• ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    Hotel registration was a disaster. By the time I got in could only get one night at Element. So, gonna have to do the yearly constant hunt for rooms opening up.

How do people like the Element? I've stayed at Aloft, Seaport, Westin, but not this one.

zmYaVYP.png
    likewise gonna have to do a room share again most likely. Which im open to meeting new people just please dont snore.... I was in a room where half the people did it and it was hard to sleep

xhdr64jir3c2.png
    RedK232 wrote: »
    likewise gonna have to do a room share again most likely. Which im open to meeting new people just please dont snore.... I was in a room where half the people did it and it was hard to sleep
    Haha, I shared a room with a friend of mine and he snored so bad I did not sleep a single night of PAX. I now stay alone, it's worth the money to be well rested.

zmYaVYP.png
    edited November 2017
    RedK232 wrote: »
    Haha, I shared a room with a friend of mine and he snored so bad I did not sleep a single night of PAX. I now stay alone, it's worth the money to be well rested.

Yea only room close and cheap is the midtown but thats 2.5 miles away and trying to get to pax on actual pax days is a pain. Says about 30 mins but with traffic could take even longer. So ill just be more careful with room sharing. I would have loved to get my own hotel at the close ones but didnt get them in time. Edit again was in process of booking it and now its gone.

RedK232 on
    xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • mahshahmahshah Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Element a 2 years ago, it's pretty great. The rooms are like studio apartments with a full fridge and mini kitchen, they had free breakfast sandwiches every day, and free beer Thursday. There was also a free coffee/espresso maker in the lobby that was pretty good. If you're trying to fit people on the floor make sure you have an air mattress or something though, as everything's hardwood.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    We've stayed at Seaport, Westin and Aloft. Seaport is the most comfortable and closest to great food/bars/etc. They also have had the best customer service in my experience. We stayed in Aloft the opening year and while its more quirky and bare bones, we LOVED how close it was at the end of the night. Protip: If you stay in either Aloft or Element, you can get free and available street parking on Saturday night along with a quick and easy exit on Sunday.

As for the Westin.... I'll just leave this review here. It should cover most of my feelings.

jayh0va on
    npyymaqh3gup.png
  • starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    mahshah wrote: »
    I stayed at the Element a 2 years ago, it's pretty great. The rooms are like studio apartments with a full fridge and mini kitchen, they had free breakfast sandwiches every day, and free beer Thursday. There was also a free coffee/espresso maker in the lobby that was pretty good. If you're trying to fit people on the floor make sure you have an air mattress or something though, as everything's hardwood.

I'm also in the Element. I stayed there once earlier this year on a separate trip to Boston and I loved it. Tho I didn't use most of the actual kitchen it has, having a full size fridge and an extra sink is amazing. Breakfast was not bad at all for being included free

Anyone else at the Element this time around?!

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    starNOstar wrote: »
    mahshah wrote: »

I'm also in the Element. I stayed there once earlier this year on a separate trip to Boston and I loved it. Tho I didn't use most of the actual kitchen it has, having a full size fridge and an extra sink is amazing. Breakfast was not bad at all for being included free

Anyone else at the Element this time around?!

I booked Element this year so we could save some money on food instead of eating out every meal (so much $$$). I've not stayed there before, usually stayed at Seaport. Good to see some experienced opinions since I hadn't heard about most of those benefits :biggrin:

qtjvjrS.png
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Alternative Recommendation: Search for the following Terms "Corporate Apartments Boston" I've snagged a nice place that way plenty of times, and if you're a veteran now is the time to remember many hotels offer veteran/active pricing or have deals accordingly.

ZeroHourHero on
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Now starts the casual refreshing looking for a closer hotel before April :P thankfully I need only Friday and Saturday... but then they are also probably the hardest nights to get haha

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • falknessfalkness Registered User regular
    Got the Element this year. Stayed there last year and I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Loved having a kitchen and free breakfast. The super close walk was great last year with those freezing temperatures. And we were able to comfortably fit 5 in the room. 3 in the bed and 2 on the couch.

edited November 2017
    Im guessing a share room thread will start soon. I wasnt able to get myself a hotel of my own wasnt quick enough. So room share is again for me this year. If anybody plans on doing a room share either at the westin, element or aloft then plz msg me. The Seaport ive been to the past few years and idk i feel like i wanna try out one of the other 3 this time around. Thank you guys :)

RedK232 on
    xhdr64jir3c2.png