As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2018 [Hotel] Partners and Discussion

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I got my fall back hotel this year, the Omni Parker. By the time i got to the hotels, all 4 close hotels couldn't give me the 3 nights I needed. I'll be stalking the hotel page anyway, just incase something close opens.

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    builderr0r wrote: »
    havok978 wrote: »
    The Westin wasn't available for the days/room I selected so I got the Seaport. I've never stayed in a hotel this close to the convention center before, so this is a major upgrade for me! :)

Honestly, a lot of people would argue the Seaport is the best choice, so you're definitely in a good spot.

I actually meant the "Aloft Boston Seaport." Didn't realize there was also a Seaport Hotel!

Stayed at the Aloft for 2016 in a group of 4 and we really loved it but it was a bit snug with all of our stuff. And we had a view of the industrial district but when you're only seeing that for a few minutes a day it doesn't make much difference.
    Edit: and I'm totally realizing I know you from tumblr.

TopherRocks on
  • builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    havok978 wrote: »
    The Westin wasn't available for the days/room I selected so I got the Seaport. I've never stayed in a hotel this close to the convention center before, so this is a major upgrade for me! :)

Honestly, a lot of people would argue the Seaport is the best choice, so you're definitely in a good spot.

I actually meant the "Aloft Boston Seaport." Didn't realize there was also a Seaport Hotel!

Stayed at the Aloft for 2016 in a group of 4 and we really loved it but it was a bit snug with all of our stuff. And we had a view of the industrial district but when you're only seeing that for a few minutes a day it doesn't make much difference.
    Edit: and I'm totally realizing I know you from tumblr.

Omg :D Hi!

steam_sig.png
  • ogbaogba Registered User regular
    I booked omni parker. Stayed there last year.

1.5 miles away, completely walkable. Also a free shuttle.

• darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    Is it me or did the hotels get picked up extra quick this year? Last year I had no issue getting the Seaport but this year I got intercontinental. I’m gonna keep stalking the site though for something closer.

• Jer1ch0Jer1ch0 Registered User regular
    Grr, got Hyatt Regency for the enire stay (4-9) - had Element in my basket and by the time I clicked buy someone else had snatched them up. I wish the system reserved the rooms for the time period you are booking them. A tad annoying. If anyone is cancelling an aloft or element stay in that period please DM me and if I get the rooms I owe you a beer/beverage of your choice! :)

dr5jolvtc9bn.png

• ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    If anyone ends up cancelling their reservation at Element for April 4th - 8th, I would gladly take it off their hands.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The hotel reservation system definitely wasn't great this year, I got to the point of entering my credit card in for a room in the Westin with 2 beds only to get a "whoops, this room was booked" upon hitting submit. While doing that, I'm sure other rooms were getting scooped up.

Ended up with the Omni Parker which is fine - I completely forgot that's where I stayed last year with a group. We'll probably keep checking occasionally to see if there are cheaper options that open up, but for now at least I know we'll have a room.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    The hotel reservation system definitely wasn't great this year, I got to the point of entering my credit card in for a room in the Westin with 2 beds only to get a "whoops, this room was booked" upon hitting submit. While doing that, I'm sure other rooms were getting scooped up.

Ended up with the Omni Parker which is fine - I completely forgot that's where I stayed last year with a group. We'll probably keep checking occasionally to see if there are cheaper options that open up, but for now at least I know we'll have a room.

Yeah I'd prefer you have time to complete your transaction where it's held for you...and the fact that it doesn't allow auto-fill either made punching in all that info only to find it already booked to be a sad experience. That being said I was able to grab the aloft after missing out on the Westin so I'm fine with that.

P0P7S6y.png
    Did the Embassy Suites at Logan have shuttle service last year, or is it assumed if it's on Onpeak it will? It would save us $80, includes breakfast and has a bit more room to stretch since I'm bringing the wife, kid and niece.

• STEAKSTEAK Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I thought about not posting this, so it can remain a hidden gem, but it seems like people are fretting over not getting their treasured close hotels.

So... I've stayed at the Embassy Suites for 4 years now. Hear me out! It seems everyone is always thinking "Embassy Suites is too far away, and they're not on the shuttle schedule, why would you do that, BWAAAAAH!" Well... here's what it's actually like, and why my group always stays there.

The rooms are suites. They have a separate bedroom with 2 full-size or queen beds. The living room has a pullout bed in the couch. and they have roll-away beds that you can request. (We bring a blow-up mattress as well, just in case the roll-away beds aren't available.)

Huuuuuuuuuuge breakfast buffet!!! This is free every morning. I'm not talking about a bagel with cream-cheese, I'm talking tons of meats, eggs, potatoes, waffles, pancakes, pastries, fruits, cereals, OMG SO GOOD!

Downstairs lobby area has a restaurant with crazy good food, and a fully stocked bar with good beer and spirits (Brick red!!!!!) They have tons of tables and hangout space, and we typically will chill there every night playing tabletop games.

I think the Embassy Suites are the least expensive hotel on the OnPeak list.

Here's the part that people seem confused about... Travel to and from the convention center... There is a free shuttle service every 15 minutes to the Airport. You then get off the hotel shuttle, and hop on the Silverline shuttle (free from the airport and direct to the World Trade Center stop, which is a short 2 minute walk to the convention center). When heading back to the hotel, you just walk out the front entrance of the convention center, straight across the bridge and down the steps to the Silverline terminal. Grab a Charlie card from the machine (throw like 10 bucks on it, and it will cover the entire PAX Event, just keep the Charlie card in your wallet), it then costs $1.70 to get back to the airport. Call the front desk of the hotel, and they send a free shuttle to pick you up from the airport at any time.

Looking forward to seeing you all at PAX :hydra:

STEAK on
    QDo8ACR.png
    I was just debating this exact thing. The bigger rooms and free breakfast would be a huge benefit to my group, but the official buses are super convenient. We're used to Boston (we're from Maine and end up down there for something nearly monthly) so the public transportation doesn't worry us, although depending on a hotel shuttle at night can be sucky sometimes.

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    Did the Embassy Suites at Logan have shuttle service last year, or is it assumed if it's on Onpeak it will? It would save us $80, includes breakfast and has a bit more room to stretch since I'm bringing the wife, kid and niece.

I don't think it does, here's a shuttle list from 2016 and I don't think they've changed much

Route 1: Colonnade, Mariott Copley Place, Midtown Hotel
    Route 2: Hilton Back Bay, Lenox Hotel, Sheraton Back Bay, Westin Copley
    Route 3: Courtyard Downtown Tremont, DoubleTree Downtown, Loews Back Bay Hotel, Park Plaza, Revere Hotel, W Boston
    Route 4: Hyatt Regency, Omni Parker
    Route 5: Hilton Downtown, Langham Hotel
    Route 6: Boston Harbor Hotel, InterContinental
    Route 7: Holiday Inn Brookline

Sorry, man!

5fhxvn385q28.png
    Yeah, depending on the hotel shuttle at the end of the night, is the only iffy part. Granted, the longest I think we've ever had to wait for that was about 20 minutes. Also, I'm in a group, so we're hanging out and BSing about the event and planning out our night anyways. The airport has heated waiting booths for the hotel shuttles as well. So, it's really not ever been a big deal.

QDo8ACR.png
    edited November 2017
    That's good to know - I just sent my wife a pro/con list for switching over to that hotel. I think my biggest con right now is simply the convenience of a closer hotel if one of the kids (I say kids lightly, they're 13 and 18) needs a break or to drop off purchases.

Worst case scenario, it's probably less than $20 to get a Lyft back at night and given we'd be saving $125+ on hotel/breakfast alone for the two nights, that seems like a fair trade off.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited November 2017
    It's been my experience, when travelling during other large events, that Lyft and Uber tend to price gouge (especially if you need a large vehicle for more occupants), when there is a huge event demand going on. So, I try not to even consider them. It's easy enough to check the app and see what their prices look like, though.

STEAK on
    QDo8ACR.png
  • melzwaymelzway Registered User regular

No shuttle last year but it was easy to get to and from using the transit system and hotel van. I love the Embassy and it's my preferred place to stay. Can't beat made to order omelets.

• DrakkenPADrakkenPA Registered User new member
    Embassy is definitely a positive part of our PAX weekends. As mentioned, starting the day with the hearty breakfast keeps you fueled well into the food blitz at the BCEC. Lobby space to chill and play games. Our first year there were many more PAX-goers present due to a shuttle running directly to the event. Our follow up year we had concerns with transit but that was all washed away with the easy to use airport shuttle and Silverline as mentioned above. For our group, lowering costs where possible is a win and the Embassy rooms are significantly lower while keeping plenty of space so we don't feel crowded. Hopefully more folks use the hotel or at least these posts will let others know there are like minded fellow PAXers willing to hang out, BS, or throw some pickup games together.

ZRaphhV.png
  • Jax7786Jax7786 Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I got my fall back hotel this year, the Omni Parker.

Omni Parker has been my go-to hotel for the last three years. The Bruggers Bagel shop down the street makes for a filling breakfast and it’s the first stop on one of the shuttle routes. It is also walkable if you want to walk! It’s a nice spot if you can’t get closer!

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    im thinking either the double tree by hilton or the langham hotel.cant decided what to go with,price diffrence isnt to bad so not a factor.

• UnakiUnaki Registered User new member
    Kind of annoyed that I could only get a single bed at the westin. Element was the first choice for my dates and when I went to select the double bed it was gone because of saturday. Then I tried a single, gone. Then tried a double at the westin annnnnd....gone! Managed to at least snag the single so my group can make due with that. If anyone ends up canceling a double for April 5-9th at the Element I'd appreciate a heads up.

• falknessfalkness Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever had any luck with upgrading at the Element? I feel like I saw some people mention it in the past but when I called last year, they said there was nothing they can do.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If anyone drops a close room, could you let us know please and thank you!

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• POE_SE1POE_SE1 Registered User new member
    Has anyone stayed at the Boston Marriott Copley Place?

• tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    Single bed rooms available at the Element right now.

• caitlin147caitlin147 Registered User regular
    Thank you tipsy_tommo! I was able to get i to the Element with your update, hooray!

That said, there is now a Friday and Saturday room at the Aloft, haha!

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Single bed rooms available at the Element right now.

Looks like a few of those rooms are still available.

XyqJPIp.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Renaissance is also available for single beds!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    A few early day rooms (wed/thrus) nights just popped up for the Westin and the Element. All single bed though.

• TurQTurQ New York CityRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience and/or advice they can give for staying at the W? (Not the Westin)

TurQ wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience and/or advice they can give for staying at the W? (Not the Westin)

I haven't stayed at the W before, but for 3 years in a row we've stayed down the street at the Revere. Personally I'd stay at the Revere over any other hotel, we just choose to stay at the Element since it was across from the con center and it's a larger room. But it's a super cool part of the city if you're into nightlife and surrounded by a lot of great restaurants

5fhxvn385q28.png
    Do hotels ever have rooms open back up? I was really hoping to switch to Embassey Suites but they have no double rooms on Friday night anymore. I have the Omni Parker already for Fri/Sat, but the savings would be great (and I love free omelettes.)

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Do hotels ever have rooms open back up? I was really hoping to switch to Embassey Suites but they have no double rooms on Friday night anymore. I have the Omni Parker already for Fri/Sat, but the savings would be great (and I love free omelettes.)

The last 3 years I got Westin full weekends, months after the initial release. So yes.

zmYaVYP.png

The last 3 years I got Westin full weekends, months after the initial release. So yes.

That's what I'm hoping will happen - did you just check onpeak occasionally to find them?

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    That's what I'm hoping will happen - did you just check onpeak occasionally to find them?

I set my home page for my phone and PC to the Hotel Queue and just check whenever it opens. Doubt I'll try as hard to get the Westin this year only because I got the Element for the entire thing, and they're so close the only thing I'd miss is the sky bridge.

zmYaVYP.png
    edited November 2017
    anyone staying at the revere hotel?kinda far at 1.8 miles but uber is always an option.anyone remember is the shuttle bus goes near it?

a fraking toaster on
    anyone staying at the revere hotel?kinda far at 1.8 miles but uber is always an option.anyone remember is the shuttle bus goes near it?

Yes, the shuttle was part of The Revere root in the past. I stayed there for my first 2 Pax trips. Great hotel and tons of stuff around it. However expect to be on the shuttle for at least 20 minutes so keep that in mind if you're running late.

5fhxvn385q28.png
    starNOstar wrote: »

Yes, the shuttle was part of The Revere root in the past. I stayed there for my first 2 Pax trips. Great hotel and tons of stuff around it. However expect to be on the shuttle for at least 20 minutes so keep that in mind if you're running late.

any idea when they take the money for reservation fees out?

[quote=

any idea when they take the money for reservation fees out?[/quote]

It should just be a hold on your card, not an actual charge. You shouldn't have to pay anything until you check out.

5fhxvn385q28.png
    ahh ok,first time renting a room so dont know squat lol.i did reserve it but then cancelled because dont have enough int he bank for the full amount for them to put a hold on just yet.hopefully in next couple weeks ill be good to go.