As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    OMG I am so out of practice. First damn bot pretty much would have killed me if it wasn't for the armor, lol. I still haven't found a good way to take one on safely. Only a little bit into the game, so
    The Tallneck was a good twist, having to fix it up and all. And that comes into my first point. The last piece was guarded by a scorcher, and that thing is friggin hard to kill. I don't see how it could be weak to cold and live in a blizzard, but even triple shotting it with cold arrows didn't even slow it down. I liked the dam area. It was nice to explore old ones ruins without having to kill a bunch of people to do it. Hopefully they can keep the people killing to a minimum. That's what Haephastus is for. Got faked out by not reading the notes and tried to overide a demonic croc. Didn't go well, lol. At least those things are still vulnerable to fire.

The Scorcher and really all the demonic machines got easier once I got the new bows from the bluegleam. That extra physical damage really helped against them.

It seems like tearows are a lot weaker in Frozen Wild. Blowing off parts doesn't really seem to have the same damage impact

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Are the Banuk bows different than the Shadow Carja ones? I looked briefly but all of my stuff is modded out so I can't see baseline differences. not that I've found much in the way of bluegleam or anything. But I did get a pretty bitchin Banuk Drum epic mod that went straight into my warbow.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've only gotten the Banuk Sharpshot bow so far, but basically it has two draw-timers; one for accuracy that's the same as before, and a concurrent, longer one for additional damage. So if you snap off a shot without waiting for the second timer, it'll do the regular amount of damage; waiting for the second timer will do more damage, I think up to double.

Is there any coop in Horizon yet?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Stragint wrote: »

No, and I'm pretty sure there never will be. Well unless it's in a sequel.

-Loki- on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

This is not a game that is designed around multiplayer. And I'm thankful that such games still exist.

Orca on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, HZD is definitely a game that is better for that fact that it has no multiplayer of any kind. It's a tighter, more focused experience and I'm glad Sony and Guerrilla realized not every game needs a shoehorned in multiplayer or co-op mode just to check a marketing box.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Plus if I can’t slow down fights then there’s no way I’m hitting any more robot weak points.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Plus if I can’t slow down fights then there’s no way I’m hitting any more robot weak points.

Killing Floor does 'multiplayer slowdown' pretty well. I'm not saying it'd be a perfect 1:1 fit for HZD, as it's more of a 'proc' than an on-demand necessity, but I wouldn't rule out the notion entirely either.

That's speaking generally, however. I love it as a single player game. I love that it hasn't had some half assed MP mode crammed in with loot boxes and micro transactions to roll my eyes at. If the sequel remains purely SP I will cheerfully snag it without hesitation.

But if they decided they could have a mode that allowed for MP, I would at least hear them out. If nothing else, I haven't forgotten the (justified) skepticism over Mass Effect 3 having a multiplayer mode, and it ended up being an incredible experience that I'm thankful they included, just as an example.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Having coop hunting wouldn't detract from the game in any way if it stays away from the story. The story itself can stay single player, doing coop for the story would take a lot away from it. But coop hunting would be fun. Have it done through the lodge with instanced zones where the player and a partner hunt named enemies like Redmaw and there are herds of machines and specific time goals and stuff like that.

Something like this would make the game a lot more enjoyable once I beat it. Without something like that I have absolutely no reason to keep playing the game once I beat it and get all the collectibles.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's not matter of "could they do it", it's a matter of how much budget and time does it take to do? Do you think the things you're describing are easy and require no technical budget? What features currently in the game are you willing to give up for them to spend time and energy on co-op?

For that matter, who cares if you have no reason to keep playing it once you've literally done everything in the game? Not every game needs to be a game as a service you're meant to play forever. It's okay for a game to be out of things for you to do. There are enough other video games in the world that you could do nothing but play video games from now until the day you died and not run out.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's not matter of "could they do it", it's a matter of how much budget and time does it take to do? Do you think the things you're describing are easy and require no technical budget? What features currently in the game are you willing to give up for them to spend time and energy on co-op?

For that matter, who cares if you have no reason to keep playing it once you've literally done everything in the game? Not every game needs to be a game as a service you're meant to play forever. It's okay for a game to be out of things for you to do. There are enough other video games in the world that you could do nothing but play video games from now until the day you died and not run out.

I care if I have a reason to keep playing?

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I was always bad at that. I mean the focus attacks are easy, but I really wanted to get good at the jumping and sliding slowdowns. Just don’t have great control for that kind of thing.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I care if I have a reason to keep playing?

I mean, people have been replaying single player only games going back decades. I dust off Half Life 2 and the episodes once per year or two, as an example.

Play it on a harder difficulty mode? Wait for more DLC/the sequel? Make challenges for yourself (look at the weapons you mainly used, now do it again without touching a couple of them)? Speedrun it?

Multiplayer can certainly extend a game's life expectancy, but look at all the heavily MP focused games (or MP with a token SP campaign tacked on, Call of Duty I'm looking at you), even if it's a hit it can become time, manpower, and money spent on something with ghost towns for servers a few months down the line.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!

I was always bad at that. I mean the focus attacks are easy, but I really wanted to get good at the jumping and sliding slowdowns. Just don’t have great control for that kind of thing.

I can do jumping shots pretty well- they’re good to get a breath while the zoom/slow meter is recharging. Slide shots are ridiculous though. You have to time so many different things while aiming your slide and your shot. The risk vs payoff hasn’t been worth learning how to do it well, for me anyway.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'm not crying, you're crying.

also, I'm crying

And that's why the B-story is so great.

The B-story makes three things very, very clear:
    • Elisabet Sobeck was basically the greatest human being ever to live, and she saved humanity.
    • Despite Elisabet's brilliance and drive and absolute utter ruthlessness, she would never have been able to do it without the knowing or unknowing assistance of virtually every human being on the planet.
    • Fuck Ted Faro.

About the last guy you mentioned...
    I'm pretty sure he's not dead, or at least no more dead than Elisabet is, e.g. Aloy. I think he's probably going to be the big bad in the larger story and the one who is causing the old machines to wake up and continue their rampage. The end of the story makes very clear he had completely lost his mind and was determined that the only way to stop all of this was to kill everything. It would line up perfectly with him being "reborn" around the same time as Aloy and still being a completely broken man mentally, attempting to continue his insane final acts.

I actually hope this isn’t true.
    Ted Faro is a much better villain because he is completely out of your reach.

I dunno, killing a whole
    Ted Faro clone army where they all buy into the original's bullshit
    would be preeeeetttty satisfying. Especially if you get to ride Thunderjaw when you do it.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Nah. I mean, for the sort of ridiculous “future dinosaur robots” premise, the game deals with some serious themes and treats them pretty well.

If the game wanted to be ridiculous I’m the way you describe, they should’ve done it from the beginning. Bringing that character into things would be jarring and silly, frankly.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I personally doubt we'll end up with something that bombastic, but I would be really surprised if we don't end up dealing in a big way with something that is directly his legacy.

And killing the shit out of that will still be plenty satisfying, since the only thing better than killing him would be killing his fuckawful ideas.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've started this up again to finish my first playthrough before I pick up Frozen Wilds. Twice in about 30 minutes it crashes with a CE-34878-0 error, my PS4's fan running like a jet engine before it happens.

I really hope the fucking thing isn't dying on me, i've only had it a few months.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have to agree with that though the fact that.
    Ted Faro is 100% Completely out of your reach and is long gone but the impact of his horribleness is still brutally there just make's him one of the better bad guys in my opinion.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    100% of achievements complete again, yay.

The Frozen Wilds epilogue was interesting.
    But sadly not very informative.

Aloy was like “Ted Faro? Elisabeth Sobeck?” And CYAN was like “Yes, I have heard those names before! But that’s all I know.”

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Aloy was like “Ted Faro? Elisabeth Sobeck?” And CYAN was like “Yes, I have heard those names before! But that’s all I know.”

Where does this take place in terms of what aloy knows from the main story?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Where does this take place in terms of what aloy knows from the main story?

I did this just before the very end.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Welp, that's Horizon finished finally. The first end fight was meh with a satisfying resolution cutscene, second end fight was fucking awesome, third end fight was decent but I didn't really use much in the way of tactics since I was so overleveled. I just shot weak points with arrows til they fell off and also shot explosive balls at other things that showed up to help.
    No idea why she left her spear there other than it needed to be there for a dramatic moment in setting up Sylens getting ready to fuck over the entire planet because he's a goddamn moron.

The epilogue with Elisabet was amazing, though. This game is just brilliant at making me care about people who have been dead for thousands of years. Caring more about them and their stories than the people currently living in their world now. I hope as part of her post-game activities Aloy creates a memorial to everyone she was able to find records for, they deserve to be remembered by the people their work allowed to exist.

Thinking of picking up Frozen Wilds and going through it as part of my NG+ playthrough. Will probably be more fun than just smashing my way through it effortlessly with my endgame save.

Depending on your difficulty setting, TFW will probably not be effortless.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The expansion seems like basically 'more Horizon' but I completely forgot how awesome 'more Horizon' is

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Yeah. I'm using an endgame save, and I am not cruising through the DLC. It's tuned to be hard at the final levels, and I imagine it would be really hard earlier in the game.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    First timer adventures:

I'm guessing I shouldn't be OCD and try to knock all of the carrying capacity upgrades out of the way at the very beginning? I just got to the very first hunting challenge and one of them requires a weapon I don't have enough shards to buy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    First timer adventures:

I'm guessing I shouldn't be OCD and try to knock all of the carrying capacity upgrades out of the way at the very beginning? I just got to the very first hunting challenge and one of them requires a weapon I don't have enough shards to buy.

Well, the generic backpack upgrades make the rest of the game way better, and the starting area is one of the best places to gather animal materials.

Trying to specifically farm for all those materials will drive you crazy, though, and certain animals are more or less plentiful in certain areas. You'll be scavenging for plants etc a lot, so while you're doing that, be on the look out for any fauna that you need.

Javen on
    Javen wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    First timer adventures:

Well, the generic backpack upgrades make the rest of the game way better, and the starting area is one of the best places to gather animal materials.

Trying to specifically farm for all those materials will drive you crazy, though, and certain animals are more or less plentiful in certain areas. You'll be scavenging for plants etc a lot, so while you're doing that, be on the look out for any fauna that you need.

Thanks. Follow-up:

Is there a use for animal bones/skins once I've upgraded all your storage, or should I just sell them?

Keep them. Some traders will want them for certain equipment, and you don't have all the storage yet. Each time you get a new weapon type you'll get a series of storage upgrades for that weapon's ammo. Hold on to that goose skin. Hold onto it like your life depends on it.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

Yeah. I'm using an endgame save, and I am not cruising through the DLC. It's tuned to be hard at the final levels, and I imagine it would be really hard earlier in the game.

Yeah, the last quests in TFW are about 20 levels above the recommended for the final mission in the main game.

They did really well to make it tough despite the excessive gearing most of us will go in with.

I find the final machine type revealed to be way tougher than Thunderjaws or Stormbirds.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying this game a lot. I'm about 15 hours in and I'm level 22 and just finished Maker's Rise. Once I got all the tallnecks, I've been ignoring everything and doing story quests when they are under my level, is that the way to go? I feel like I would overlevel everything if I went after all of the collectibles everywhere.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Weeeeeeelp. I found the Daemonic Thunderjaw.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Wrapped up the main quest in TFW last night, after playing it a few hours a days all week. Still got a few odds and ends to wrap up.

This game versus Battlefront II are an incredible case study in player experience for me. I was super excited for both games. With Horizon, I now have 78 hours invested in my single playthrough, and I look forward to doing it again in a few months to do the Ultra Hard NG+ playthrough. It was smart, it was fun, it was emotional, it was everything I could have wanted from a new IP, and I hope it's enough of a success to come back with a sequel in a few years.

Meanwhile, I was super stoked for battlefront, and then pay to win has crushed my desire to actually buy it, even though the core mechanics are frankly great.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying this game a lot. I'm about 15 hours in and I'm level 22 and just finished Maker's Rise. Once I got all the tallnecks, I've been ignoring everything and doing story quests when they are under my level, is that the way to go? I feel like I would overlevel everything if I went after all of the collectibles everywhere.

The main story missions hold most of the background lore that people like as well as the only collectible set with a decent reward (power cells). Nothing wrong with focusing on them and sidelining the other collectibles.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

The main story missions hold most of the background lore that people like as well as the only collectible set with a decent reward (power cells). Nothing wrong with focusing on them and sidelining the other collectibles.

Yeah, @Spawnbroker, I don't know that you'd really be overleveled if you went for everything (or that it would hinder your experience, I should say), but it's perfectly fine to focus on the critical path. I took a 50/50 approach, going for collectibles that were pretty much in my path but not going way out of my way, because I'm a completionist but I also hate getting to the end of a game and seeing that I have to start collecting 9,000 doodads. 4,500 doodads is way more reasonable.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I ended up way overleveled just because robot dino hunting was so much fun.

All I know is that when I'm done with the game, I'm going to have to find some wiki that details all the text collectables. Because the few I've stumbled upon so far are pretty goddamn fascinating. Unless I'm violently wrong the main game has nothing to do with New Zealand, but a news report on what's happening to pre-calamity New Zealand is bafflingly wonderful.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Ok I know I said I was gonna focus on the story, but I lied. I spent all last night going around hunting robot dinos and getting collectibles.

Steam: Spawnbroker
This discussion has been closed.