As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] #12: OWL Stage 3 Returns, Retribution Soon

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    so this season is just as bad as last season. everyone plays DPS shittily at low tiers and no one else tanks or heals. good job blizz! what is the reason for seasons again?

But I should be grand master except all these shitties in bronze are holding me back for the past 5(?) seasons, the only way to climb is to be a pro-genji carry!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    If we're gonna have a glam-bowie Moira skin, I want this Freddy Mercury tribute Tracer skin:
    1ee7s14pe8kk.png

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    so this season is just as bad as last season. everyone plays DPS shittily at low tiers and no one else tanks or heals. good job blizz! what is the reason for seasons again?

I mean the seasons are there mostly to provide occasional point bonuses and give players personal goals/benchmarks for performance, e.g. 'I didn't do great in season 6 but I turned it around in season 7' which is better than just 'I did bad for a while, then good for a while'.

I'm not sure why you would expect players at the same skill level to be playing much different just because it's a new season.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Moira seems neat. I wish that PTR previews didn't mean auto-locks by people with faster connections than me, because I'd like to try her out in a fight.

Not sure how I feel about a healer that encourages me to have to use stealth movement, but it's worth a shot.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Dontor wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    hahahahaha blizzard skins in Overwatch

yesssss i am genuinely happy

Pretty good to see them!

It definitely is, but tbh only adding a handful of (some amazing, some decent, some meh) new legendary skins to the base game - not exclusive to any seasonal event - over a year and a half after launch feels... a little measly. Like we got Rein's Eichenwald skin when that map launched, and beyond that the only new base items have been emotes. Don't get me wrong - sit and dance emotes are a big deal and I love them and how they can contribute to how we can nonverbally socialize in Overwatch - but I feel like we should have been getting stuff like these skins semi-regularly since launch.

Also after a three-week hiatus I finally completed a new clip show but it got buried with the Blizzcon news at the end of the last thread so I'm posting it again wooo low-skill PS4 Tracer fun woooo!

Wooo obscure Canadian 90s rock wooo!

the amount of courage i takes to melee a roadhog to death

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Ran into two people using aimbots tonight.

In Mystery Heroes.

Why.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Posting this a week late, but my oldest daughter Chloe wanted to be D.Va for Halloween, but I didn’t want my seven year old wearing a body suit, so we compromised on the Lunar skin D.Va dress and I was Team Dad 76.

m1a34wvy6mxm.jpg

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    That dress is badass anyway so I'd call it a win-win.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Did you run around saying "I'm not your father." so everyone could hear?

"Smells like victory."

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Overwatch sub hits 1 million subscribers, team makes adorable congratulations video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/7biqwv/congratulations_from_the_overwatch_team/

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Posting this a week late, but my oldest daughter Chloe wanted to be D.Va for Halloween, but I didn’t want my seven year old wearing a body suit, so we compromised on the Lunar skin D.Va dress and I was Team Dad 76.

m1a34wvy6mxm.jpg

This is amazing.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Thanks guys :)

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

m1a34wvy6mxm.jpg

This is a-mei-zing.

fixed that for you

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

m1a34wvy6mxm.jpg

This is amazing.

Fun fact: its called a Hanbok, and a Korean tailor can probably make one for any age.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Some more random observations about Moira's matchups:

- Against Genji and Tracer, Moira tends to do pretty well. Genji can't just dash into her like he would against most supports, because she'll just fade away again and then drain him from beyond his effective range. Tracer does better, because she can stay on top of Moira after she tries to fade away, but Moira's passive healing with the damage beam and thin hitbox still makes her a relatively tough target. Moira's fade can also counter both of their ults if they don't bait out her fade first.
    - Sombra and Doomfist actually do pretty well against Moira. Because Moira tends to play close up, she's often vulnerable to getting surprise hacked from behind, at which point she has basically no way to kill a full health Sombra, it's an easy kill. because Moira plays up close she's likely to get hit with an EMP as well. Doomfist's big hitbox isn't a disadvantage vs. Moira, and his abilities cooldown faster than Moira gets fade back. Both Doom and Sombra are very good at stunning/hacking Moira out of her ult, which is a big part of her kit.
    - Pharah actually does OK vs. Moira. Yes, damage beam guarantees damage against Pharah, but Pharah's already positioning herself to avoid hitscan, it's not that different avoiding Moira's low-dps beam. Because Moira plays close up, Pharah can have a pretty easy time seeing where she fades to and then dropping a couple rockets on her. More passive pharahs who just float around firing long-range shots may have issues though. Moira probably has the edge in lower-tier play, but good Pharahs should be fine.
    - Similarly, in open maps Widow should have a pretty easy time murdering Moira. Moira has a pretty upright hitbox even when she's moving, and she has to stay close in fights. Plus, all those beams and sprays emanating from Moira make it immediately obvious where the healer is. In general Moira seems like she's more effective on more closed-in maps, maps where Widow and Pharah do well on are bad for Moira.
    - Kind of random, but Torbjorn actually does quite well against Moira. All of Moira's damage abilities are low amounts of damage that hit multiple times a second, which is exactly what armor excels at blocking. Not that Moira's a DPS, but it limits part of her kit.
    - Out of the the dive tanks, D.Va is probably one of the best Moira counters. Most of her HPs are armor, she can eat Moira's orbs, and she's more mobile than Moira and has enough burst damage to kill her. Winston has a harder time - Moira's not really a threat to him, but she'll just fade away from his dives while staying in healing range of her teammates. And her self-heal means even when he gets near her he can only damage her slowly.
    - Roadhog would much rather see a Moira on the enemy team than an Ana, and she's a pretty easy hook kill. Her lack of vertical mobility makes it easier for him to pressure her, too.
    - Rein and Orisa's shield presence can make it harder for Moira to attach her damage beams, and therefore harder for her to gain ult and heal charge. Moira's ult being able to go through shields doesn't really threaten them directly too much, but it makes it harder to hold the anchor position if the beam's hitting their teammates behind them. Orisa is probably more threatened as she's easier to flank, less mobile, and without fortify she has a lower health pool. Plus Rein can counter Moira's ult with an earthshatter.

In general Moira seems like, I dunno, sort of an anti-Zen? Both heal but can deal damage, but where Zen excels in helping his team vs. tanks and is good at healing flankers, Moira excels at damaging flankers and healing tanks. She definitely seems best suited to a deathball / tank heavy type of team comp. Her fade gives her a lot of outplay potential in general.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Does she have a way to heal herself? Or does she just regen like Mercy?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Does she have a way to heal herself? Or does she just regen like Mercy?

The only way she can reliably heal herself is to toss her healing orb in close quarters so it bounces around her.

• Options
    I thought her primary fire also heals her? The drain beam?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, she is healed with her damage primary(right click, no ability use....she's complicated okay?).

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, her right click heals her as she's hitting with it - this is actually just an ongoing passive effect, it's not lifesteal like Reaper, and so her healing isn't decreased if she's damaging armor nor increased if her target is discorded.

Her healing orb will target her, so she can self-heal off of it if she needs to.

And then if she ults she'll also self-heal, though I don't remember how much.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    damn, that's tragic

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Complications from a tonsillitis is the rumor. Wow. I didn't even think you could die from that, but apparently it's deadlier you think if it goes bad

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Complications from a tonsillitis is the rumor. Wow. I didn't even think you could die from that, but apparently it's deadlier you think if it goes bad

It's substantially more dangerous in adults than in kids. In kids it's an easy outpatient procedure with a quick recovery, in adults it's a serious surgery with a long, hard recovery during which you might choke to death on your own blood.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    What I don't understand is that I do placements every season and actually have really pleasant games. There's ragers and quitters and all of that, but I enjoy the matches and people seem like they try hard.

Then I get into the regular season and jesus christ it's so much toxicity and genji mains.

Guess I'll just keep ranking up through placements every season...

• Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that I do placements every season and actually have really pleasant games. There's ragers and quitters and all of that, but I enjoy the matches and people seem like they try hard.

Then I get into the regular season and jesus christ it's so much toxicity and genji mains.

Guess I'll just keep ranking up through placements every season...

I've noticed similar things, although I haven't typically played many games past the placements. Last season I played a few, and there was a noticeable amount more negativity and anti-team play. Then last night I started playing placements for this season and got a team that actually shot called, switched when I said I needed more help healing as solo Mercy, and we won a really exciting game.

If anyone is in the Gold/Plat range on during EST evenings I'd love to actually group for ranked play, just toss me an invite as Shadow #1525

• Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Hmmm...wanted to share this adorbs picture but not sure I can get the linky thing to work...
    ltaBj5q.jpg

Ok, first part working. Now it might be too big? Does spoilering it make it ok?
    Reading the rules, I believe it is of legal size but since it's a bit bulky I'm leaving it spoilered.
    Still, a wonderful mash up.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That's totally fine on file size. It's a little big for no spoilers but also pretty awesome so I wouldn't complain.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I'm on an Overwatch Discord last week, and someone was talking about how Pharah needs a nerf, how no DPS deals with her, and when you're essentially a Mercy main you don't have the experience on the hitscans to switch to like a Soldier to deal with her - to which I tersely responded "so shoot the Pharah." Which may have seemed dismissive at the time, but...

https://youtu.be/IPjLoxx2nSI

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Maybe when they nerf Mercy, they can nerf a bit of Junk's spam. It's not much fun to lose to random bullshit when a dude isn't even aiming or positioning properly, just throwing shit around randomly and getting accidental kills.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Maybe when they nerf Mercy, they can nerf a bit of Junk's spam. It's not much fun to lose to random bullshit when a dude isn't even aiming or positioning properly, just throwing shit around randomly and getting accidental kills.

This is how I've always felt about Junkrat. Just blindly lobbing bombs onto a point, getting picks... Such skill. Such strategy.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    playing Junkrat is like shitposting in real time. I love him.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I use Junkrat to reverse troll enemies who use some kind of Mercy/Torb/Bastion basic bitch formula. I become the darkness in selfless sacrifice to destroy darkness.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I use Junkrat to reverse troll enemies who use some kind of Mercy/Torb/Bastion basic bitch formula. I become the darkness in selfless sacrifice to destroy darkness.

Truly you are he who hunts monsters.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

If you regularly die to random Junkrat spam you should fix your own positioning.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »

If you regularly die to random Junkrat spam you should fix your own positioning.

It's virtually impossible to avoid junkrat spam on certain maps with narrow corridors. Plus, given the chaotic nature of fights, running into random grenades happens occasionally.

It's not that he's some god-tier character. It's that he can be effective through relatively random effort. Even Winston and Sym require proper positioning and put themselves at risk. Junkrat can kill people just by lobbing random grenades through a window into an ongoing fight and get kills. That's BS.

• Options
    Plus, I don't "regularly" die to junkrat spam. It's that fights can be won and lost through randomness, and that's, imho, not healthy for the game.

• Options
    Chance wrote: »

This is how I've always felt about Junkrat. Just blindly lobbing bombs onto a point, getting picks... Such skill. Such strategy.

If they're literally doing it blindly without any gameplan or purpose in mind, they're a bad junkrat and you should be able to deal with them pretty easily (especially if they're not positioning properly). If you're having trouble dealing with them, they probably know what they're trying to accomplish and they're using the character and abilities well (and if you watch the best junkrats, their most meaningful kills are just about always targeted and intentional). Not every fight should be won by the team with better aim.