As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

blinds art thread

13»

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Another schoolism assignment, making the values a few steps higher. This one ended up being really hard because of the way the shadows fell on the reference
    9l53c62ahn9d.png
    And some fooling around in Sai, which has a much better brush engine for drawing than PS
    iinp14w9177b.png

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    wow, I can see your value studies are definitely improving! I actually really like this one, it seems like you did a good job of executing on what it is meant to show you!

For the cel shading one, I think I might suggest using a slightly warmer corresponding color as it would give a richer rendering, unless there's a specific lighting reason to keep the shadows in the cool range? using black and grey tones has a tendency to mute the colors underneath them in a way that takes some life away from the image.

(I am doing a deep dive on learning how to paint digitally and cel shading is one of the things that I've been focusing on. I'm still not very good at it myself so I don't want to attempt to do a paintover or show you any of my garbage practice pieces, but lemme see if I can find the tutorial I used that definitely brought me up to speed miles faster than anything else I've found.)

(found it! here: https://defenestratin.deviantart.com/art/How-I-cel-shade-things-528499342)

edited September 2017
    Thanks for taking a look!
    yeah shading and color is definitely something I need to deep dive on. I kind of just habitually shade with blue on multiply for shadows because thats how I shaded when I did watercolor paintings

BlindPsychic on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    yup, watercolor is an entirely different game for sure!

6myel7nb81p5.png
    wdlbydc05qwc.png
    nrry96tjkyba.png
    3k94hc8i2ld6.png
    a4uvvncsyk2u.png
    Some drawings, the start of my next schoolism piece, and some sketchbook pages

2hntq3cqjiuf.png
    spent like 5hrs on this, I think i'm done with it for now, I'd like to do other stuff today too...

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wow! That's pretty wonderful!

thanks iruka, that means a lot.

6bhoj37g1a77.gif
    Clip studio paint has an animation tool. I don't know how to animate, but I played around with it some and now I want to learn

scu3lmom2dk9.png
    gonna be trying to knock out a house study at least every other night. I have this painting series I'd like to do trying to tell a story with just environments to really push myself hence the subject matter

9x6edsfi3zi2.png
    Progress on this next painting. Accuracy/Proportion is still killing me, I think I have an issue seeing it before I progress to painting

edited September 2017
    brvyqith4s0k.png
    put a couple more hours in, I'm not even really sure if I'm meeting the assignment for this one (proportionately softening the edges), its kind of super difficult for me. gonna put it down for now because I feel like I'm just going in circles

BlindPsychic on
    gb5oj584l3lg.png
    I made this too, after some twitter shit put me in a real sour mood.

axifaf8ef95a.png
    my project for the last week

• ninesnines Registered User new member
    Wow they are amazing!

Unlike other words like "love" or "hate", "morgue" has only one meaning. umowa kupna sprzedaży
    Thank you!

vvsnbd7y5v1b.png
    Doing color lessons now. Gonna try to do a couple of these. I was pretty happy with the color and light in this, edges are a mess though.

mt32nxaxcpcs.png
    nother still life. Next one I'm gonna try to light and keep, work on it tomorrow, saturday and sunday if I can get the lighting on point. I wanna do one longer one now that I've done these sketches

This is the first environment series painting I'm working on, anyone got some crit before dig in?
    xt4mktrkwz5c.png

3q1avzxcnajj.png

Started slipping behind on my schoolism to stay weekly, but here's my last color study one.

Just a little update on these. I'm basically done with the class. Mostly mentally I'm just really sick of it and I really have other things I want to do right now but not enough time in my life to really grind out the time with these still lives as important as I know they are. I just really need a break from them and come back later. n4qoxwgtjc21.png
    This is the last thing I'm doing for the realism class. A painting with a zorn palette of the same still life. I was going to do one of the Nathan Fowkes classes first, but I kind of want to do the Terryl Whitlatch class on creature anatomy instead and take a break from painting for a while.

r12pt5hapsxv.png
    some practice

I started Nathan Fowkes Composition class on Schoolism. HW will be up later this week. But oh my god that was one of the worst first weeks ever. 1.5 hr, 10 minutes was spent on theory, the rest was him talking about how he got his job and how much he was selling his paintings for

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've been trying to work my way through those Fowkes courses and I hate to tell you, He sorta does that through the whole course. You can tell the dude loves the industry which can be somewhat endearing, but it really reduces the amount of useful information in the teaching segments. I recommend just watching the critiques if the courses begin to be a bit too much. He STILL manages to stick something about dreamworks in most of his critiques, but they are generally more focused and useful.

here's the first of 3 studies. I ended up so busy this week i just haven't had time. clockwise: 3 value study, full color, full value
    based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Duel_After_the_Masquerade
    fk1lv4t2bhvy.png

9gj62c39efvk.png
    700yiyssyx30.png
    last 2 for this week. aughgh im so behind already

rl3h7mhp2p0z.jpg
    u4b9vmka4zhw.jpg

One of five for this week's hw. The busier one was first, but I think might still be in the right direction more. The idea is to do value comps using unity with variety, trying to make the comp stronger by repeating shapes in a smart way

uxojt0r2kv9p.png
    51m2ubmtbo0j.png