As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] #12: OWL Stage 3 Returns, Retribution Soon

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I'm not saying that Junkrats can't be killed (relatively easily). I'm sayin' getting 70% of your health bar blown off by an ability that someone tossed willy nilly is never fun. S'like when a Hanzo is just blindly plinking arrows towards your team and you catch one in the head.

Sometimes bullshit kills happen, but with most Junks - certainly not all - bullshit kills are pretty much the defining attribute. They kill you by accident, because they were just hoping someone would walk into a bouncing nade tossed fifty feet and you pulled the short straw.

Not fun. At least you have to aim Scatter arrow.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    People are so bad at this game they need abilities like that.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

This is accurate but rude. I've recently had to admit that I am, at best, aggressively average. Especially on PS4 where I prefer to play.

• Options
    soylenth wrote: »

This is accurate but rude. I've recently had to admit that I am, at best, aggressively average. Especially on PS4 where I prefer to play.

I don't mind being average, especially when I'm playing against other average players - it's fun! And given that Overwatch is the first multiplayer shooter I've really played I was very proud to hit gold and edge my way into platinum.

I kinda hope I never make Diamond. I don't need the stress!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Chance wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Maybe when they nerf Mercy, they can nerf a bit of Junk's spam. It's not much fun to lose to random bullshit when a dude isn't even aiming or positioning properly, just throwing shit around randomly and getting accidental kills.

This is how I've always felt about Junkrat. Just blindly lobbing bombs onto a point, getting picks... Such skill. Such strategy.

If they're literally doing it blindly without any gameplan or purpose in mind, they're a bad junkrat and you should be able to deal with them pretty easily (especially if they're not positioning properly). If you're having trouble dealing with them, they probably know what they're trying to accomplish and they're using the character and abilities well (and if you watch the best junkrats, their most meaningful kills are just about always targeted and intentional). Not every fight should be won by the team with better aim.

Nine times out of ten when I die to Rat spam it's because the spot I was in was perfectly safe for the last 45 seconds, then they, in random hopping around and shooting over a wall and through a window, just happened to find a weird angle that makes the bombs bounce bizarrely, and the first hit knocks my squishy ass into a few more.

It's not because I blithely wandered into a spot that's already being filled with explosives.

It's not the seventh or eighth random lobs that get you. It's the first couple, which then knock you into more.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Okay, so my brother is always hassling me to do my placements with him, and this week I relented.

I don't like comp. I should play it more, but I take it too seriously - I want those rank points to buy a golden staff on Mercy! I can't derank! So I basically just do my placements - with great reticence - and generally nothing else. I've done eight so far, I think. I'm either at 2-6 or 3-5, I forget - but this was my first placement match this season.

I'm trying to psych myself up as I approach on the first push - it's just another match! Just go have some fun, I tell myself - and I get instagibbed the moment I come to the choke. Then I come out and just... can't be killed. They pull out Torb, they pull out Bastion, but we and our excellent Soldier and excellent Zen just roll it.

https://youtu.be/VEdtSckdZhI

On defense, we get a Torb, but no Sym. I switch to Mercy 'cause I like winning, and our excellent Zen goes Sym. Bam. Victory. I love that comp.

Our excellent Soldier, who stayed Soldier for round 2, gets the elims card, but that incredible first round gets me a killstreak card.

56c3d00bf9yb.png

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The worst experience I had vs Junkrat was a Mystery Heroes on Hollywood where the defending team rolled 3 Junkrats, something like 2 Mercys and an Ana. We weren't getting through that choke.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I mean really how hard is it to fix two simple things for arcade in the next update?

-no duplicate heroes on a team at the same time

-Mercy's resurrection does not eliminate a kill in TDM. It doesn't erase it from your kill stats so they knowingly put that shit in there

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's not really junk's spam that bugs me, it's his effective ult charge rate. He can get it really fast, and his tires tend to get kills, often without much potential counterplay.

They need to either nerf the tire a little, or decrease the ult charge. Powerful ults need to charge slower.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Junkrat is area denial, especially against squishy flankers. If he's denying you the opportunity to advance down a given route as Genji/Tracer/whatever, then Junkrat is literally doing his job.

Just go grab a character that can fly or has a bigass shield or go down a different route.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    randomly: One of my favorite things to do is take out a widow at long range with Mercy. I do a tiny back and forth strafe to make countersniping hard. At least half the time they grossly underestimate the power of a steady plink of headshots and I get the kill before they realize "Oh shit! I should move"

Of course, against a widow using KBAM on ps4 or someone with just really good aim I'll die.

soylenth on
  • Options
    I feel like the key to a good widow or bastion is to keep moving. Don't be in the place they expect you to be.

• Options
    soylenth wrote: »
    I feel like the key to a good widow or bastion is to keep moving. Don't be in the place they expect you to be.

Torbjorn too. Make them paranoid of finding a turret around every corner. And then, when they go around the corner, it was on the overpass above them. Which is why bad Torbs just dropping their turrets in the most obvious places make me sad.

All the defense heroes should be doing that for the most part though.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    What drives me crazy is when our Sym drops here tele at some angle where a Widow beyond the choke can easily snipe it. It's like they have GUNS you know, they don't have to melee the thing to death.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    You know I hate that Bastion has such a bad reputation that folks can't see the niche situations that he'd be very useful in.

Like on attack he's actually pretty good vs spam comp if you play around him.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    my favorite thing is to wallride up next to tunnel vision-y widows and take my sweet time lining up headshots on them when they don't react to me

it's like, yeah i snuck up from outside your LOS but you can hear these techno skates, right??

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Junkrat spam is one of the only ways I can contribute to a team (especially since they nerfed Roadhog), because I am turbogarbage at twitchy FPSes.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    my favorite thing is to wallride up next to tunnel vision-y widows and take my sweet time lining up headshots on them when they don't react to me

it's like, yeah i snuck up from outside your LOS but you can hear these techno skates, right??

There was one match where I was playing Lucio and an Widow was giving my team trouble.

I spent the entire round just pestering them. Killed them like 5 times too.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

There was one match where I was playing Lucio and an Widow was giving my team trouble.

Those are my favorites - when you form a rivalry with an enemy.

• Options
    Chance wrote: »

Those are my favorites - when you form a rivalry with an enemy.

I feel like that describes half of how I play Lucio. Find someone isolated or near a ledge, and then just constantly poke at, boop, and generally harass them mercilessly.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    are we complaining about characters we personally don't like and making judgments about people who play those characters

• Options
    I'm not making judgements I don't think, but I could do with a Trashmouse nerf.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    they could probbaly tone down his ult charge and/or mine damage

i saw people around the time of the patch saying it's hard for a junkrat to 2-shot you with his mines on account of knockback but nah, as junkrat it's really not that difficult to account for that and aim your mines accordingly

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    are we complaining about characters we personally don't like and making judgments about people who play those characters

Of course. How else are supposed to hate our enemies?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Personally, I don't have a problem with any of the characters.

I just mildly hate all the players!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Widowmaker is that Melisandre level of evil that no condom would protect me from.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Widowmaker is that Melisandre level of evil that no condom would protect me from.

It’s widowmaker. , no condom needed ! :P

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I think people are mostly mad they actually have to respect what Junkrat does now when they really didn't have to before. It was the equivalent of getting dicked down by that one dude that mains Dan Hibiki back in the day. The only real nerf he needed he already got when they removed his ability to teleport his RIP-tire cross map by flying it off a wall Lucio style.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I like Junkrat a lot but I do think they could do with nerfing his mines slightly. Make those do 80 damage. Up the damage of the trap to 120 so he can still combo with trap/mine. I feel like he would be in a good place then.

Isorn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wish I could place above garbage tier sometime

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Cantido wrote: »

Had a game on Oasis where the enemy Widow and I had a weird truce when we were away from the teamfight. When the fight was on we'd prioritize each other like nothing else - she was bodying me from 100 yards with weird angles, forcing me to go on huge flanks around her - and every so often we'd just stop shooting, wave, and go our separate ways.

She never got me - her Pharah did when I was mid-fight with the Widow, twice - and I got her 3 times. We won, and after the match I sent her a "Good game" and a thumbs up sticker on PSN. She wrote back "ily < 3"

Chance on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There's a tournament in memory if Dennis "INTERNETHULK" Hawelka today. A bunch of old teams got back together for it and they're playing on the PTR, which includes Moira, the Mercy nerfs, and Ana buff.

https://go.twitch.tv/gosutv_ow

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Junkrat is my go to on Deathmatch anytime Chateau is the map. I don't think I've ever missed top 4 with him there, and I've placed first several times. It's complete bullshit because I struggle to make top four with basically any other character*, but it's some of the most fun I've had with the game.

*I'm not good at shooters, but I'm especially bad at solo deathmatch type modes. When I was playing Chivalry I loathed Free For All for that reason. I was actually a pretty decent Vanguard on the scenario maps, especially the offense side of the main three, but god help me if it went FFA.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There's a tournament in memory if Dennis "INTERNETHULK" Hawelka today. A bunch of old teams got back together for it and they're playing on the PTR, which includes Moira, the Mercy nerfs, and Ana buff.

https://go.twitch.tv/gosutv_ow

Blizzard just sent out an "In loving memory" server message on PTR during the tournament.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Did my placement matches today for the first time and only won 2 of them sadly. Had two or three matches with a leaver on my side which didn't help but most of the games were actually close and a lot of fun. Got placed in silver, which I thought I was abit better than but I guess not. Oh well, I'm having fun anyways. :D

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Hmm...heard a player got banned for one-tricking.

While I don't much care for folks who do that can't say I agree with that course of action.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I don't think people being stubborn about how they play and getting unintended benefits for it because of how Blizzard's ranking system works should result in them getting a ban. Seems kind of shitty, if true.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Hmm...heard a player got banned for one-tricking.

While I don't much care for folks who do that can't say I agree with that course of action.

Not just a player - wasn't it Eevee or however you spell it?

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Yeah. If Blizzard wants to punish players for Off-Meta picks, then they should label it on character select screen:
    "Warning, picking this character on competitive may result in ban."

It was a top 500 Torbjörn player with a 58% winrate, who got banned.
    Not bad for a one-trick.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    jammu wrote: »
    Yeah. If Blizzard wants to punish players for Off-Meta picks, then they should label it on character select screen:
    "Warning, picking this character on competitive may result in ban."

It was a top 500 Torbjörn player with a 58% winrate, who got banned.
    Not bad for a one-trick.

that's fucking stupid of Blizzard to do.

TexiKen on