As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dell Laptop LCD - color slightly different on each side of screen

BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
Ok I have a strange thing going on with my newish Dell laptop.

When I am looking at a browser, Discord, any normal windows app, I can see a line down the middle of the screen where the color is slightly different on each side. This is there no matter the color (though it isn't there or at least is very hard to see on white).

It is not there playing games. I need to double check later but I do not think it is there when using an external monitor.

I do not see it doing a LCD diag test (holding down D key while turning on laptop).

IhRlVNa.jpg

5xF387H.jpg

Is this a bad LCD or something to do with calibration?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Yea I saw that but figured since it was from 2008 it probably wasn't applicable. I'll see if Dell will send me a replacement LCD to swap in. Maybe it's the backlight?

Bigity on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It almost looks like a TV I just repaired today that had a bad T-Con. I'd definitely talk to Dell.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah you see it pretty commonly in TVs, the only way to fix it is to replace a circuit board I think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah you see it pretty commonly in TVs, the only way to fix it is to replace a circuit board I think.

Fun fact: newer TVs have the T-Con built into the panel. One less part? Yeah, but the panel will likely cost you more than the TV did!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Well, just to humor the Dell guy, I updated BIOS and chipset drivers and rebooted. Still had the line.

Set up to return the laptop to Dell Depot (just basic warranty).

Three hours later I notice the line is gone. Hasn't come back in 2 days (through reboots, games, regular use, etc).