As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fiendish Fist of Social Entropy

ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday ArmadilloI'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Social Entropy++
The Fiendish Fist of Social Entropy

Welcome to the monastery of the half-fallen nerd. In it we have perfected such magnificent martial art techniques like the Ghosted Palm, the Strike of the Secret Satan, and our most profane move, They Fucked on a Boat.

But today we embark on the formation and mastery of a new technique; The Fiendish Fist of Social Entropy.

So in the style of some other nerd on this sub-forum I'd like to start doing a communal watch-along of media. But unlike some other projects, we'll only be doing martial art/kung fu cinema in here.

We're going to watch films staring some of these guys and more!

hqdefault.jpg

We're going to make fun of anything this guy does:

bloodsport-jcvd.jpg

We're going to do this on Tuesday evenings at 5:30 p.m. pacific-coast time via rabb.it

So forget what you know and transcend the stone steps, we all have much to learn.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
Zonugal on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Can we watch the Stallone masterpiece, F.I.S.T.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Is it streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Is it streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

If it's not it should be!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The intent of this is for us to watch and make fun of martial art films, and to broaden my own knowledge of the genre.

So yeah, if it comes to one of those streaming services I'll watch Stallone.

Well... F.I.S.T. isn't a martial arts film. It stands for Federation of Inter-State Truckers.

It's a drama about labor unions.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    you could have tricked him, steve

6vjsgrerts6r.png

you could have tricked him, steve

I'm realizing my mistake now...

Well... F.I.S.T. isn't a martial arts film. It stands for Federation of Inter-State Truckers.

It's a drama about labor unions.

Do you want to get banished from the monastery????

list of mandatory watches:

duel to the death
    master of the flying guillotine
    the city of violence
    the crippled masters
    gymkata

6vjsgrerts6r.png

oh and knock-off, wherein jean claude van damme must stop an evil fashion designer from taking over the world with exploding jeans

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Oh shit. Knock-off is fucking great.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Everything JCVD is great, in its own way.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    oh this isn't a thread about fisting

oh......

oh..............................

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Do ninja movies count?

Because I am champion of the ninjas.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I am shocked AJ didn't bring up The Last Dragon, aka the best kung fu movie ever made.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    It's cause I watched it last instead of him

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    this thread is my jam.

i am on a Donnie Yen binge right now. i mean, just watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VfAWV_3dCU

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    My friends have shown me some amazing obscure kung fu films.

I couldn't tell you a single movie name though, and if I tried it would definitely be the wrong movie.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    edited November 2017
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I am shocked AJ didn't bring up The Last Dragon, aka the best kung fu movie ever made.

sho 'nuff, it woulda been in my next round of recommendations

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Ooh, been kinda wanting to check out this genre.

but for real, i'd save branching off into the blaxploitation/kung-fu hybrid off-shoots until well after getting a foundation in the basics of the genre.

then you can go into your blackbelt joneses and tnt jacksons.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I know you said we would make fun of anything with JCVD, but bloodsport actually is very good and I would like to watch it.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    https://youtu.be/exUfNQelDUg

Edit: Oh I thought this was the marital arts thread

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    the best martial arts thing is ranma 1/2 because it has martial arts figure skating and ramen delivery

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    bloodsport is terrible

everyone should watch it, mind

let the record show that I was not the first one to bring up anime, your honor.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    22528309_1474934199210924_8731091438278901471_n.jpg?oh=f375c1aef8fd57ba6373f2e4307eba50&oe=5A61C143

Radius wrote: »
    let the record show that I was not the first one to bring up anime, your honor.

this is a first for you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Let me know when you're going to watch The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    In all seriousness, Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen) is my favorite martial arts film.

I want to post the trailer but the one I found is fucking terrible so I won’t.

But great movie. As long as you find the version with the non-shitty subtitles. The scene where the kid beats the crap out of a few guys while calling his moves is one of my favorite martial arts scenes ever.

Legend of the Drunken Master (Jackie Chan) is up there - especially the last 20 minutes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/exUfNQelDUg

Edit: Oh I thought this was the marital arts thread

This was a way better joke than mine.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    As someone who spent a summer regularly trawling the local dollar store for the cheapest, shittiest, most nonsensical kung fu movies no one had ever heard of

I am into this

(The Guy With Secret Kung Fu was pretty good. There was also one about a kung fu gorilla that I can't remember the name of)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    This seems like the perfect place to complain you put this on tabletop game night, obviously to spite me.
    But also to say, rumchata in coffee or even just over ice is actually legit. Thanks zon.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

the raid and the raid 2 are my favorite action / kung fu movies

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    This feels like a good thread to drop this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    someone could just play the sound effects of old kung fu movies and I'd be entertained

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    And the corporate antagonist of the monastery trying to steal the traditional techniques to add to their records, the Singularity Engine

VRXwDW7.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    someone could just play the sound effects of old kung fu movies and I'd be entertained

Yeah give me pretty much any low-budget affair from the 70's and I'll listen to it as background noise

Those punch noises are good

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    as long as this means I get to watch ip man again I'm game

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg