As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[5E OOC] Before the Darkness - "Who Watches the Poopmen"

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Baby Wizard.

no, that' would make him a practitioner of baby magic, he's a wizard baby, which is a baby version of a wizard, ala muppet babies.

also are we right in assuming we're starting about level 8 and with money?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Melding wrote: »
    Baby Wizard.

no, that' would make him a practitioner of baby magic, he's a wizard baby, which is a baby version of a wizard, ala muppet babies.

Prolly a level 10 start buuut I haven't put a ton of thought into it yet.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Baby Wizard.

well, i guess so long as i can get at least gauntlets of ogre power my idea works. also, there is shit all for magic polearms. what a grievous oversight.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    no no no, his name is Baby, and he's a Wizard

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Baby Wizard.

well, i guess so long as i can get at least gauntlets of ogre power my idea works. also, there is shit all for magic polearms. what a grievous oversight.

Yep, in my Wed game the DM gave me a glaive of sharpness because there's nothing in there. I've used it to Cool Aid Man walls a time or two

• Options
    I mean, if you want a rad magic item or two in your field lemme know, I like making shit up.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    how young is your wizard gonna be, Scott?

trying to get a mental image

Hard to say. Part of the idea was having him be a recent graduate of a wizarding organization he'd come to recognize some major ideological differences with. He'd gone off to sort of figure out who he was and what he cared about, while his old order was pissed because they invested so much time in training him just to have him get up and leave.

But if we're starting at around level 10, the idea of an idealistic recent graduate doesn't work as well. So he'll actually probably be late 20s/early 30s, and have worked with his order for a longer time before he became disillusioned? I can't say for sure yet, I'm still deciding between different versions of the core concept.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Baby Wizard.

It's only polearm-adjacent, but if you want a Trident of Goddamn Fish Command, I may know a guy who's selling...

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Baby Wizard.

It's only polearm-adjacent, but if you want a Trident of Goddamn Fish Command, I may know a guy who's selling...

nah, i'm thinking of doing a poleaxe by way of halberd, i'm just mostly trying to figure out what i need for the base idea to work and what other things i want. mithral plate looks neat, but because of how things work you can't get like +1 mithral full plate or anything because why would you want that? then with a +1 halberd, ogre globs, and maybe a cloak of protection i got everything a level 10 paladin needs?

solid ac, good saves, magic weapon, and resistance to magic. yeah, yeah that's a face tank.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    as soon as we know the magic item limits I'll put the finishing touches on this Tortle

I imagine the rest of us will have access to xanathar's by the time the next campaign starts

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

Hard to say. Part of the idea was having him be a recent graduate of a wizarding organization he'd come to recognize some major ideological differences with. He'd gone off to sort of figure out who he was and what he cared about, while his old order was pissed because they invested so much time in training him just to have him get up and leave.

But if we're starting at around level 10, the idea of an idealistic recent graduate doesn't work as well. So he'll actually probably be late 20s/early 30s, and have worked with his order for a longer time before he became disillusioned? I can't say for sure yet, I'm still deciding between different versions of the core concept.

beleaguered grad student

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

beleaguered grad student

left on a quest to get data for their dissertation, ended up on an adventure with a turtle druid, a knight out of time, and a poop pervert.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    That skews dangerously close to my own academic history.

So while we're in the wish list phase of things, how should I handle extra spells? Wizards are in a weird spot as the only class with a real market for trading spells these days, without 5E having bothered to provide pricing guidelines.

Desert Leviathan on
  • Options
    wait, how many sapient turtles do you know?

• Options
    so are we still thinking about meeting tomorrow

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I'm still planning on it

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I'm still game.

• Options
    wait, how many sapient turtles do you know?

I know four!

• Options
    i am available.

• Options
    what even is our meet up time anyway? 9? 8:30?

• Options
    what even is our meet up time anyway? 9? 8:30?

5:30 Pacific, 6:30 Mountain, 7:30 Central, 8:30 Eastern

• Options
    I hope Honesty isn't a demon/devil/aberration worshiper

she's offered the cleanest solution so far!

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I hope Honesty isn't a demon/devil/aberration worshiper

she's offered the cleanest solution so far!

She could also be a secret undead!

• Options
    as long as she isn't in league with the aboleth.

• Options
    I realized that my impetus for changing characters is because I did exactly what I wanted with Auraj

like, I can't think of a character arc to do with her because I'm extremely happy with who she is and don't want to change it

which means it will be a perfect time to retire her when the campaign ends

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Okay, magic item questions for my Tortle. Asking the GM for goodies sorta makes me feel uncomfortable because it feels 'metagamey,' so I'm spoilering everything to hide my shame.
    Magic staff: so the staff of the woodlands was sorta a "uhhhhh not sure what else I can get" I would have asked for the staff of blighting in a heartbeat if it had any actual bonus to attack + damage. Is it possible to get one with a bonus, or could I convince you to let me have a staff of striking? :D No biggie if that's a big no.

Shield: It would be cool to have a +2 shield, but I'm okay with waiting on this one if you'd prefer. A +1 Sentinel Shield would be even more rad!

In general, it would be nice to have weapon/shield/armor (lol my tortle can't even wear armor) that can be given some bonuses. I presume that it's okay to toss in the silly enchants on my gear if I pay the gold for it, but lemme know what you think.

I'd rather not burn my attunement slots ALL on my basic gear, tho. Having a good staff is paramount, regardless, since it's my spell focus and an okay weapon for a druid.

Okay, now that the boring magic items are out of the way, can I make a personal request for some neat enchanted robes/clothing later on? I'm really feeling the lack of super varied magic items, here, because the only two robes that I can equip and like are the robe of eyes, and the robe of scintillating colors (the former comes with a significant flaw, however). Honestly, I'm up for anything new that does cool stuff.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Elidana is kind of in a similar state. Yeah, she can come back once again an elven exile, this time completely deservedly, or she can move on grow up. Come back later, less petulant. She still does have a mystic tattoo thing to figure out, but i figure getting home and maybe shoring up a defense against a demon's blood oath might be a bit bigger on her mind.

side bar, that +1 mithral plate thing i toss out there, any chance i could take that as a rare item, and if so how much would that cost? i don't really Need mithral armour, but come on, an elven knight should be wearing mithral full plate.

• Options
    I could probably roleplay Tusk forever as a personality, but Barbarian is so starved for tactical options that I feel like an idiot every time my turn comes up. "GEE WHAT SHOULD I DO? RAGE, CHARGE THE BIGGEST THREAT, AND RECKLESS ATTACK TWICE? HMM. YEAH. SOUNDS GOOD FOREVER."

In retrospect, the last time I played a Barbarian (the legendary Otto the XXIX, Legitimate Inter-Dimensional Highest of High Kings of All Dwarfs Everywhere), I was also running a Sorcerer for the latter 2/3rds of that campaign to act as a pressure relief valve.

• Options
    ranger bores the heck out out of me because, despite having spells, I spend 99% of the time shooting something with projectiles

that's the real reason I haven't really considered rogue - my gut feeling is that I'm gonna be rinsing and repeating the same tactics ad naseum

and rogues are sorta My Archetype

but that's okay, bards are rad as hell and are pretty much the wizard to the rogue's fighter

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    most classes have points where they're the most fun. like sorcerer and casting their big money spells.

4e usually gave everyone a fun thing to do, and i will love it forever. it was also a very cut down tactics war game, which i also loved. but almost no one i played with was very tactically minded, so i almost took out 3 out of 5 players with 4 wolves.

• Options
    oh wow, +1 armour is rare. that is something i did not know.

They really want you to work for extra AC don't they? like getting up to 16 is pretty easy, but everything after that, you're going to put in work. Oh well, i guess i'm sticking with 20 ac then.

but i think i got stuff figured out. I have a pre mirror back story, some reasons why the mirror thing is moderately ironic, and a likely defunked knight order. once i got a name for this character iw ill start bugging rainfall with my pms once more.

• Options
    I wish they’d just make Mage Armor a standard class feature for Arcane Casters. It bugs me so much having it as basically a spell list tax.

• Options
    I wish they’d just make Mage Armor a standard class feature for Arcane Casters. It bugs me so much having it as basically a spell list tax.

Nah, I like how that makes getting medium/heavy armor proficiency efficient rather than a waste of a class feature.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    plus if you're a dwarf mage you don't need it.

so, be a dwarf wizard in half plate.

you know you've considered it.

Angus might even be able to get you some slightly used +2 dwarven half plate.

Melding on
  • Options
    I considered it for half a second, but nothing else about a Mountain Dwarf is at all attractive to my wizarding plans. Aside from the huge and fabulous beards, anyway.

• Options
    oh wow, +1 armour is rare. that is something i did not know.

They really want you to work for extra AC don't they? like getting up to 16 is pretty easy, but everything after that, you're going to put in work. Oh well, i guess i'm sticking with 20 ac then.

but i think i got stuff figured out. I have a pre mirror back story, some reasons why the mirror thing is moderately ironic, and a likely defunked knight order. once i got a name for this character iw ill start bugging rainfall with my pms once more.

Yeah, AC is locked down pretty tight in 5E. Defense Paladins can hit 23 with Full Plate, a shield, Defense Fighting Style, and Shield of Faith, accessible at very low levels, but that's temporary. A level 20 Barbarian that stacked dex and con can hit 26, until Level 20 the best they can hit is 22, and that's essentially it. Adding a +3 Shield, Cloak of Protection, and +3 Armor to that is an additional +7, putting the Paladin at 30, Barbarian skips the armor and also ends up at 30. Anything past that is straight up shenanigans or unviable for a single character to achieve.

So overall I think what they attempted to avoid with Bounded AC was requiring enemies to get better than 20 to hit their foes. They didn't do an amazing job of it, but I'm inclined to offer AC increases at a lower pace than to-hit increases. One of the first 5E campaigns I played in had a Paladin using Dodge and the rest of the party working with him to clog up choke points and make it impossible for anything to actually happen on monster turns, and it was very silly but the GM(not me) was furious.

Anyway that's just some thoughts on AC, shrug.

• Options
    and half plate. no need to take mage armour.

• Options
    That medium armor proficiency is real attractive to spellcasters that don't want to invest too heavily into dex.

• Options
    just sent rainfall my character sheet for the paladin, and i am already in love with the results.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    You want a cloak of displacement over a cloak of protection for the constant (until hit, restarts on your turn) disadvantage to enemies I feel.