As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    In case anyone’s interested, the story insert from Tears was scanned and posted. Link.

A lot longer than I was expecting for something to come with the pack.

Also a new article up talking about Battle for Rokugan.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Fonjo wrote: »
    The great thing about "Illustrious Plagiarist" is that it breaks some mechanics. You can play those actions without the fate cost. You only pay a cost if it is listed after the word Action: and before the -.

Also, you can use actions beyond their normal limits. So if you play "Banzai!" and your opponent counters with a "Banzai!", your plagiarist can copy that action from the graveyard. Since the action is being triggered from a card with a different title than "Banzai!", it can be used a second time despite the normal limit.

Then you use your dragon champion to copy their plagiarist who copied your banzai.

What is this I don't even.
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Fonjo wrote: »
    The great thing about "Illustrious Plagiarist" is that it breaks some mechanics. You can play those actions without the fate cost. You only pay a cost if it is listed after the word Action: and before the -.

Also, you can use actions beyond their normal limits. So if you play "Banzai!" and your opponent counters with a "Banzai!", your plagiarist can copy that action from the graveyard. Since the action is being triggered from a card with a different title than "Banzai!", it can be used a second time despite the normal limit.

Then you use your dragon champion to copy their plagiarist who copied your banzai.

They they dishonor your champion and take them for a swim. :)

edited November 2017
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cool birb

kind of an odd overlap with Steward of Law but it's definitely a playable card

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Got to play two 1-core games last night to kinda get some of the ropes down.
    Feel like the game is ... good. Definitely doesn't knock my socks off or offer the same internal delight as Netrunner did, but there's something there. Right now my biggest hesitation is the combination that there isn't exactly enough in the core to be truly interesting, but it's a huge ask to spend another $150 on packs over the next month going into the Christmas season. I might look into taking thing more to heart in January once the dust settles some, but man ... they were dammed one way or the other with that play. :/

$150? Are you in Australia or somethin'? :P

Canada, so I might as well be since our dollars are often about par. ;P

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Surprised to see the harriers being brought back. They were a fairly divisive part of the old lore (and were ultimately removed about five years before the game ended).

cckerberos.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    cool birb

kind of an odd overlap with Steward of Law but it's definitely a playable card

Ehhhh. So it does things similar but different. I'll break it down:

Steward of Law prevents the adjective dishonor. Harrier prevents the verb dishonor. What the hell does that mean? Steward of Law prevents anything that would apply the dishonored status token/card to a character. It doesn't prevent anyone from moving from honored to neutral. Harrier prevents the verb form, a dishonoring. So no honored to neutral, no neutral to dishonored. So it's a way better effect, right? Harrier also does it for the phase, so you play it preconflict and it provides a dishonor protection blanket the whole conflict phase, whether or not it participates in a conflict. Steward has to be there.

Kind of. Harrier kicks ass versus shameful display or court games, since your honored Hotaru can run into shameful and not give a fuck. This also blanket protects from Way of the Scorpion. That ain't bad. Harrier also screws you for For Shame! You have to bow, no options there. Harrier also doesn't allow you to use For Shame to force bow using Steward.

The glory is a double edged sword on the character, making it a 0/0 when it does it's thing. It does let it steal the favor, being a rare conflict character with a glory value. I'm not sure I would ever really WANT to go through the effort of honoring the guy, but then it is a 2/2 for 1. My feelings are meh.

Yeah. Sorry. I should've clarified that I understand all the ways in which it's different, I just found it weird that in the span of core + one cycle Crane got two 1/1 for 1 Conflict characters with a dishonor prevention effect.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Our LGS's shipment was delayed a day. *sigh* Tomorrow...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    More cards from pack 2.

https://imgur.com/a/mdy1R

Notes in spoiler
    Kabuki Hero - it doesn't say "base" so if you put a fan on him he can be a 4/4. I don't think investing that much in a character that can be assassinated is a good idea, but still not bad.

North Wall Sensei - Dragon isn't Keeper.

Ikoma Ujiaki - uuuuuugh. I honestly don't know if Lion wants to be playing another 5f and I don't think this replaces Toturi, but boy is it a beating!

Kakita Blade - This could be good when there is more than (spoiler alert) one source of political duels.

High Kick - This is a pretty powerful effect, but limited by military-only and Monk-only. Still, bow + no abilities is really strong.

Kamayari - I don't think Lion wants to pay 2f for +3 even if the effect is good.

Magnificent Lighthouse - It's cards like this that's going to get me playing Phoenix. This effect has gotta be powerful and a +2 holding is nothing to scoff at.

Harmonize - This feels way too limited to be good. Defending only and your opponent's card has to be cheaper, plus it costs a fate? At the same time there will be times when this card can completely shut down an enemy's attack when you couldn't possibly defend it. They come in with a single big-hitter military swing and all you have is a dishonored Tsukune? Got 'em. But does Phoenix want to be playing more conditional mid-power events? idk.

Policy Debate - I think I'm in love? Choose-and-discard is so good. I don't know why they're fixated on only describing duel results in terms of the loser, given how bad the wording on this card is.

Shrine Maiden - holy shit so good. See above re: Lighthouse.

Seal of the Scorpion - zzzzzzzz... wake me when Shinobi matters.

Bayushi Yojiro - he's a little understatted but his effect is definitely good.

Shinjo Saddle - is this good? 1f for +1 is bad but (a) it can participate in two conflicts per turn and (b) it can move from a fate-less character to one staying in play. That might push it up.

Ide Tadaji - This is... a very bad harpoon effect. Pretty below-average stats as well. I think this card is bad.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I actually kinda like Kamajari, but it's definitely going to be the target of attachment hate.

Kabuki Hero is assassination bait, especially with a Fan.

Policy Debate is a power card and going to get used a lot in Crane/Scorpion(/Phoenix) decks. Also, that Phoenix province is remarkably powerful, since it can hit Conflict or Dynasty decks.

Sometimes I wish Let Go only targeted stuff that was 1 cost or lower.

persona4celestia.jpg
    My favorite thing about Magnificent Lighthouse is that it's literally only good because you put one of the cards back on top of the deck. Card games!

I can't help but feel the first cycle is kind of a missed opportunity. The cards seem pretty split between dynasty and conflict which totally makes sense, each deck is 50% of what you build right?

But the dynasty deck is way more starved for meaningful or interesting options that feel good. You get like, 20-30 cards you feel good about, and you take the rest as kind of chaff you put up with because what else are you going to run, Miya Mystic and Wandering Ronin? There are still core set conflict cards I'm wondering if I can work into the deck, and now I'm adding stuff like Test of Skill, Policy Debate, Kakita Blade, and other stuff. The dynasty deck needs more choices overall to make that more interesting, so you can tailor it to a game plan or something. They should have weighted it 70/30.

Also I'm pretty positive these seals are going to end up being a waste of 7 cards which is disappointing for a cool idea.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Played in an Imperial Summons today. Won one and lost one with Phoenix. Got the promo Favor but not the promonly champion they also gave out.

Then I played Unicorn against someone with a 1 core deck and it was a lot more brutal than I was expecting given how much people complain about Unicorn being weak.

I think for my Phoenix deck I need to make the Shugenja deck and Honor deck as separate concepts because right now I just have something in between and it is at best okay.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I can't think of any reason I'd ever play Seeker Initiate. It really seems garbage tier. Am I off base? Keeper Initiate is fuck off amazing, and Seeker is just... not.

What is this I don't even.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Never underestimate Unicorn. :D

Our tourney is going on right now. 9 tables, 18 players.

Pretty good breakdown!

http://www.thelotuspavilion.com/tournaments/62/stats

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I can't think of any reason I'd ever play Seeker Initiate. It really seems garbage tier. Am I off base? Keeper Initiate is fuck off amazing, and Seeker is just... not.

It's terrible.

If it cost 1 it might be good.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    HamHamJ wrote: »

If it cost 1 it might be good.

Yep. The Reaction is really strong but it's conditional and the stats are terrible. Keeper Initiate is good entirely because it's free.

Went 3-0 at imperial summons which ended up being good enough for 3rd place after tie breakers since my opponent at the final table (Lion Hatamoto!) ended up getting paired down in the second round which screwed my SoS. Defeated a fellow Crane in what was a super tough game, I never got anything going until later. Defeated a Lion in the second round who saw all three Lion's Pride Brawlers in the first two turns. That game entirely turned on two plays. One time he attacked into Fertile Fields, so I drew a let go, which let me knock off his Katana so he couldn't bow an honored Doji Challenger. The other play was a Doji Challenger swinging military, pulling in a bowed Lion's Pride Brawler with two fate and another Katana, and then getting rid of him with Fallen in Battle. Close game.

I got my 2nd of 3 Hotarus and a promo favor, which is all I was really after anyways.

Seeker Initiate will probably be decent in at least Dragon, since it qualifies as a Monk. I also think the value of the initiate goes up if there is a real honor victory condition deck. Lets you get cards without spending honor.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    So have people been playing anything interesting deck wise?
    I'm enjoying deck building currently and have something cool I want to test for most clans.
    Also...
    eqiogcjc5ctj.png

persona4celestia.jpg
    I'm getting very close to abandoning the facebook group for Unicorn. Everyone is just so goddamned negative over there! "Oh, the clan can't do X or Y and these cards suck!" "Well in a vacuum, yes, but what if you pair them together?" "Then this will counter them and that's a ton of work!" ".... yes, and?"

The current complaining is over War Dog Master, a spoiled upcoming card.
    Dynasty, 3 fate, 2 military, - political, 2 glory.
    Bushi
    Reaction: After this character is declared as an attacker, discard the top card of your dynasty deck -- this character gets +X Military until the end of the conflict. X is the printed cost of the discarded card.

See, I look at that and I'm like.. holy shit! That gets cards into my discard, helps me rotate my deck more, fuels my Cavalry reserves, so on and so forth.

Everyone else is complaining that it is too random, doesn't have cavalry, costs too much, that the character's glory is equal to the champion's (and bashing on the champion)...

It's like.. urgh. I want to just.. shake people!

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Avoid the internet is my top tip...

Cerberus wrote: »
    Avoid the internet is my top tip...

Yeah, but I have to be there to organize and promote the local meta. :(

Athenor wrote: »
    I'm getting very close to abandoning the facebook group for Unicorn. Everyone is just so goddamned negative over there! "Oh, the clan can't do X or Y and these cards suck!" "Well in a vacuum, yes, but what if you pair them together?" "Then this will counter them and that's a ton of work!" ".... yes, and?"

Bushi
    Reaction: After this character is declared as an attacker, discard the top card of your dynasty deck -- this character gets +X Military until the end of the conflict. X is the printed cost of the discarded card.

See, I look at that and I'm like.. holy shit! That gets cards into my discard, helps me rotate my deck more, fuels my Cavalry reserves, so on and so forth.

Everyone else is complaining that it is too random, doesn't have cavalry, costs too much, that the character's glory is equal to the champion's (and bashing on the champion)...

I mean, all of that is true. The expected value out of your deck has to be like 2 minimum to even consider running that.

Bushi

I mean, all of that is true. The expected value out of your deck has to be like 2 minimum to even consider running that.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by value.

Bushi

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by value.

If the ability doesn't get him to a 4 on average then it's just not an efficient use of fate to play him or pick him over other 3 drops.

My point is there's more to it than that.

Our playstyle is currently built around cavalry reserves - the ability in a military conflict to drop up to 6 fate from our dynasty discard into play for 3 fate. Everything should feed into this - going first, flipping POL to MIL, everything. Our stronghold is built for this. Our champion's ability feeds off this.

To me, the ability to toss a card into discard without waiting for it to go through the provinces is worth just as much as the attack power.

Average fate cost for Unicorn dynasty decks is well above two at the moment, so that's not currently a problem.

Our playstyle is currently built around cavalry reserves - the ability in a military conflict to drop up to 6 fate from our dynasty discard into play for 3 fate. Everything should feed into this - going first, flipping POL to MIL, everything. Our stronghold is built for this. Our champion's ability feeds off this.

To me, the ability to toss a card into discard without waiting for it to go through the provinces is worth just as much as the attack power.

Do you often find yourself in a situation where you want to play Cavalry Reserve but do not have 6 fate worth of characters in your discard? This is a mistake people often make, valuing on the optimal situation without regard for how likely that situation is.
    Average fate cost for Unicorn dynasty decks is well above two at the moment, so that's not currently a problem.

There is a lot of talk about Yurt and Rebuild which presumably means more holdings.

edited November 2017

Do you often find yourself in a situation where you want to play Cavalry Reserve but do not have 6 fate worth of characters in your discard? This is a mistake people often make, valuing on the optimal situation without regard for how likely that situation is.

Yes, actually, during the early game. My playstyle also tends to put, at most, 1 fate on characters, so I usually have a decent chunk of fate.

There is a lot of talk about Yurt and Rebuild which presumably means more holdings.

I don't run more than 2 yurt. Don't run Rebuild personally, though I do have the one that lets me move characters into and out of a holding. So.. yeah, spin the wheel, let's say 10-20% of my cards will be duds - either lower cost than 3 or a holding. Okay... Still probably worth it.

All I'm saying, is... there is a LOT of shitting on Unicorn today, and I'm getting sick of it.

Edit: Shitting on Unicorn from Unicorn players.

Athenor on
    edited November 2017
    Communities that are down on their faction tend to stay down on their faction until some tournament result or significant results show otherwise. It's very rare for a spoiler or preview to turn community expectation around on its own. I've seen this across a lot of competitive games.

I do tend to start lower on cards than a lot of other people (with notable exceptions like Lighthouse/Maiden/Policy Debate as I prioritize card control a LOT) but I think aggressive pessimism about a faction and its cards does more harm than good.

Newton's law of faction communities.

admanb on
    I've definitely been in the defeatist camp before, but honestly that was Warmachine and stemmed from (to this day) feeling like PP had no idea how to design their own game and constantly giving units with no synergy to a game and faction that demanded it. But that was years into the lifetime of a game that's over a decade old. I can't fathom being so down on a faction from just the starter box and a few extra cards. That's dedication to your cause right there. :/

People give up so quickly on ringteki and it's fucking frustrating as hell. Like turn 2 concessions with 1 break to 0.

How the shit are you ever going to learn to play the game from a bad position if you give up the first instant?