As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited January 2018 in Games and Technology

dIL7nNd.png
The Switch is Nintendo's 7th home console 5th handheld newest hardware. After the Wii U's struggles over the past four years, especially with advertising and PR, this is Nintendo's attempt to get people back on board and right the ship.

As the name implies, the Switch is a hybrid console, capable of going between standard TV play and on-the-go gaming. The console itself is actually just a thin, tablet-esque bit of hardware that's like a slightly smaller and less bulky Wii U gamepad. But don't be confused: whereas the gamepad was just a screen that streamed from the Wii U itself, the Switch is a fully independent console. It has a capacitive touch screen (a departure from Nintendo's preference for resistive), two slots on the side for controller attachments, Wi-Fi, and uses a USB-C cable to charge. Due to its mobile nature, it uses cartridges to play games. There are three main ways to play:

0SgPsNn.png
TV Mode
This the traditional couch playing mode. The Switch comes with a dock that uses an HDMI cable to broadcast the Switch to your TV. This is where the Switch acts like a regular home console, and there's not much else to say. You can play using the game's controller (Joycons) separated or together (there is a grip included in box to give the joycons a controller form factor, but it does NOT charge the Joycons), or you can opt for something more typical like the pro controller (Sold Separately).

lwj0MDJ.jpg
Handheld Mode
The mobile mode, this is just taking the Switch out of the dock and playing on it. The Joycons slide on to each half of the console, giving you a more handheld experience. Battery life will vary based on the game and what you are doing, with estimates being a broad 2-6 hours. Breath of Wild was used as a benchmark, going three hours on a single charge. People are saying something like Shovel Knight can go as long as 7 hours. The general rule of thumb is that polygon-based games will drain the battery roughly twice as fast as ones uses sprites or less demanding graphics. Switches can also connect to up to seven additional Switches for local multiplayer purposes.

oCSjfHq.jpg
Tabletop Mode
Tabletop mode is basically handheld, but the Switch has a little kickstand that lets you prop it up. Each half of a Joycon can operate as its own independent controller, so you can use this mode to play games with another person. The Joycons also have an attachment called a strap that slides in and gives you better L/R button and a bit more grip. It's worth noting that ALL controllers work in this mode, including the pro controller, so you don't need a bunch of joycons.

Oh, and the Switch won't be region locked. Prepare to import.

pKdbuRi.png
In the USA, the Switch will retail for $299.99, and it comes with the following:
  • Switch Console
  • TV Dock
  • Left and Right Joycons
  • Joycon Wrist Straps
  • Joycon Grip (NOT a charging grip)
  • HDMI Cable
  • AC Adapter
You have the option to buy a Switch with black Joycons or Red/Blue Joycons. CHOICES!

Need more crap? Accessories are available if you got cash to burn.
qY2lGed.jpg
MSRP: $69.99
Want a more traditional controller? That'll be seventy bucks, pal. As a bonus, it comes with a USB to USB-C cable that can also charge the Switch itself, and the Pro can connect to your bluetooth-enabled PC with little difficulty. The Pro has most of the features of the joycons, including motion controls, HD rumble, and NFC support. I don't think it has the infrared scanner thing, however.

2lSUmW0.jpg
MSRP: $79.99
Additional Joycons can be purchased for a hefty fee. They do come with two straps, however.

pmemXGu.jpgE7hNz9V.jpg
MSRP: $49.99
Lose just ONE Joycon? Nintendo has got you covered, although they will charge you an extra ten dollars more than what they cost bundled together. Because business.

22W0iUI.jpg
MSRP: $29.99
That pro controller sure was pricey, wasn't it? Well, for less than half the cost, you can just slap your joycons in this thing and get a similar experience while pretending it's a dog or something. This one also charges your joycons while they're connected to it, unlike the one that comes with the Switch because Nintendo is cheap.

HUpSshu.jpg
MSRP: $14.99
Because you really want a wheel icon next to your name in Mario Kart. Slap a joycon in and race or just use it as a very awkward controller grip.

Z9IINT0.jpg
MSRP: $89.99
Breakdowns of the dock expose this thing as being hilariously overpriced. Please don't buy it.

z8rzxC7.png
The Switch will probably be Nintendo's biggest step forward regarding online play since it actually added online services to its hardware. It seems like Nintendo is finally learning from its contemporaries, having all online stuff managed from your Nintendo account. Sadly, Nintendo is also learning from its contemporaries in that they're going to charge us just to play online. The good news is that the service is fairly cheap, being $3.99 on a month by month basis, or $20 for a year. The service doesn't launch until Fall 20172018, but people can play online for free during a "trial" period going on now and ending whenever they get the service running. Check out the chart to see what a subscription gets you versus being a plebeian who thinks online play should be a basic free service.
1Cfjnc8.png
The monthly game downloads may have caught your eye. Nintendo is doing something new, and they're launching a Netflix-esque service for their catalog of classic games. While subscribed to Nintendo Online, you'll have access this library along with bonus features like online leaderboards and multiplayer. It's (currently) just NES titles, but SNES is under consideration.

2l2JFV7.png
What's the battery life for everything?
The Switch: 2-6 hours depending on the game. As a rule of thumb, 3D games like Zelda or Mario will last about three hours. A game with sprites or 2D effects like Shovel Knight will last about 6-7 hours.
Joycons: 20 hours. Note that that do not draw power from the Switch when attached to it and in portable mode.
Pro Controller: 40 hours. The dock does have three USB ports that can be used to charge.

Is the Switch backwards compatible?
No, it uses carts and has no disc drive to play Wii U media. And no, it's also not backwards compatible with the 3DS, DS, or any other Nintendo system.

Do the carts really taste bad?
Yes, they are coated in denatonium benzoate, which is one of the most bitter compounds for humans. It's meant as a deterrent against children eating them. Don't lick the cart, dummy.

Can I go online in portable mode?
Yes. Also, while it has no browser, if you are at a place with Wi-Fi, there will be an applet that lets you pay/agree to their terms so you can get online.

Are there seriously friend codes?
Yeah, who knows why. The good news is that when you punch in someone's code, they'll get a request instead of playing this game of "Did you send it?" Furthermore, more options are set to be added like traditional friend requests through your Nintendo account, which...raises the question of why use friend codes in the first place.

Is the Switch region-locked?
Nope! Import to your heart's content. You can even switch regions on the eShop, BUT you will lose whatever current balance your account has in its current region. So spend your money first.

Can I connect to the TV using third-party USB-C cables?
No, for whatever reason the Switch must be docked to display on the TV.

Will I be able to recharge the Switch using a portable power bank used for cell phones?
The Switch uses about 30-40 Watts, which exceeds most portable power sources right now. It also doesn't use quickcharging functionality of USB-C, so that's another concern. In other words, your average power brick may extend your Switch's battery life by an 60-90 minutes depending on the wattage, but your system will still consume power. This is dependent on the game, however, and you'll get more juice out of a power bank while playing Shovel Knight than Breath of the Wild. However power banks for phones WILL take significantly longer to charge the thing while the power is off (we're talking eight hours in some cases). There are a few 15v/3A batteries meant for MacBooks that DO charge the Switch, but at a rate of like 1% every five minutes. To be honest, there are serious cost/value considerations to make, as a laptop charger that can feed the Switch will run into the triple digits. Do you really need 20+ hours of Switch battery? If not, then consider a $50ish dollar power bank for just the Switch, one with 5V/3A that has a USB-C slot, and use a high-quality USB-C cable to charge. It will, at the very least, double your Switch's battery life even if it's not the most efficient charging solution.

tl;dr: most phone chargers are good for extending the battery, but not recharging a system. Try to get as close to 15V/2.6A as possible, and use USB-C instead of USB-C to regular USB.

Which screen protector should I used?

Tempered glass. While plastic ones are cheaper, they themselves are prone to being easily scratched, which means you'll have to replace them every so often. On top of this, tempered glass feels better when using the touch screen, and they tend to be easier to apply (fewer bubbles). Tempered glass will set you back more cash, but you'll save more in the long run. Right now, amFilm is the screen of choice for most people.

How much memory does the Switch have?
32 GB, of which around 25 is usable. For reference, Breath of the Wild uses around 13GB. You can use micro-SD cards to expand the memory. Because Switch carts are so small, I recommend a micro-SD with plenty of memory, because Switch games will be large and it defeats the purpose of going digital if instead of 32GB carts you're just swapping 32GB SD cards. A Sandisk Ultra with 128GB of memory should last you a while.

What's up with the Joycon desync issue?
Some left joycons have manufacturing defects that make their signal weaker and easier to block. If you think yours is acting up, then you can ship it off to Nintendo for a free repair. Just...hope you have a Pro Controller or something while you wait.

Can the pro controller cable be used to charge the Switch?

Yes, the cable that comes with the Pro Controller can be used like any other USB to USB-C cable. Hook it up to power banks, charge your pro controller through your PC's USB ports: go wild.

Where's Virtual Console?

It's coming. Nintendo has stated that their online service (which offers a Netflix-esque selection of classic games while subscribed) will NOT be replacing Virtual Console. So there are definitely plans for it, but that's about all we know.

Does this mean end of the line for the 3DS/Wii U?

The Wii U is definitely done. I think Breath of the Wild will be the last first-party title for the system, and hardware production was ended last year. The 3DS, on the other hand, is still going strong and has titles planned throughout 2017 and 2018, including yet another hardware iteration with the New 2DS XL. This is probably going to be a GBA/DS situation, where Nintendo will claim that both pieces of hardware will coexist...until one of them sinks or swims. So if the Switch does well (and it currently is), then expect development for the 3DS to slow down until they quietly discontinue the 3DS hardware.

HgpHq3s.png
The Switch will have games, making it a true revolution in the industry. Oh, and in case you missed it: the Switch is not region locked. You can create separate accounts for other regions and access their eShops there. All dates are for NA.

G&T Approved!
The following games are almost unanimously praised by the community. If you need a place to start, make it here.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Snipperclips
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Tumbleseed
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Disgaea 5
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Sonic Mania
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Pokkén Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Doom
Steamworld Dig 2
Mummy Demastered
Has Been Heroes
Resident Evil Revelations I & II

Upcoming Major Releases
Rocket League - Holiday 2017
Terraria
Metroid Prime 4 (Nintendo) - 2018
Pokemon (Nintendo) - TBA
Yoshi
Wargroove
Octopath Traveler
Wolfenstein II
Kirby Star Allies
Lost Sphere
Battle Chasers
Dragon Quest Builders

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Hey all - Add me on your friend list!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      In honor of the new thread:

https://youtu.be/A9X4V3169Lw

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • DrezDrez Registered User regular
      Why is Terraria not on your list?

Terraria is the only thing that matters to me anymore.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Mmm new thread smell.

RE hasn't come out yet right?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
      *Stares at domino video with blank slack-jawed amazement*

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
      Longest wooden table ever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Why is Skyrim on the unanimously-praised list?

We don't yet know if there's some game-breaking awfulness about it! Like it starts slowing down and crashing after 20 hours worth of saves!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      Wait, are any Switch Skyrim reviews even out yet?

I mean, I kinda want to get it because portable Skyrim, but... I think I'll wait until I hear how buggy this particular version of Skyrim turns out to be.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
      If i can't launch myself into the stratosphere via giant club it's a 100% no buy.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited November 2017
      Mmm new thread smell.

RE hasn't come out yet right?

the 28th for RE.

Here's a list of the major releases for the rest of the month:

Rocket League (Nov 14th)
      L.A. Noire (Nov 14th)
      Rime (Nov 14th)
      Batman Telltale (Nov 17th)
      Skyrim (Nov 17th)
      Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 (Nov 28th)
      Syberia 2 (Nov 30th)
      Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Dec 1st, not a November release but you get the idea)

Funeral For Wallet (December 2nd)

edit: Also WWE2k18 is TBA but is still slated for this year.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
      Is that a bug? I always figured that was intended

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
      Rocket League tomorrow!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
      steam_sig.png
    • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      Is Funeral for Wallet a Viking funeral? Or cremation? Or a lavish ceremony?

edited November 2017
      Brainleech wrote: »
      Is Funeral for Wallet a Viking funeral? Or cremation? Or a lavish ceremony?

Whatevers cheapest obviously, probably cremation into a coffee can.

edit: then we spread it's ashes at a Best Buy parking lot.

editedit: or a cliff overlooking the ocean. Donny would have wanted it that way.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      plufim wrote: »
      Rocket League tomorrow!

Do you mean Tuesday?

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
      edited November 2017
      skeldare wrote: »
      Rocket League tomorrow!

Do you mean Tuesday?

I'm in Australia, so it's already monday. Infact the eshop updates around 11:30pm, so... 15 hours!

plufim on
      3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
      steam_sig.png
      edited November 2017
      Rocket League tomorrow!

Do you mean Tuesday?

Maybe he lives in Australia? It's 9am Monday there.

edit: Aha!

editedit: this would've looked way cooler had I not been beat'd

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Rocket League tomorrow!

Do you mean Tuesday?

I'm in Australia, so it's already monday. Infact the eshop updates around 11:30pm, so... 15 hours!

Damn time travelers

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      edited November 2017
      BTW it took that dominoes guy 2 months to set up that video. My questions for the guy are twofold. First, did anything fall on accident during those two months? Second, What did you do to prevent them from falling on accident before you were ready?

edit: Bonus question: What was your process for setting it up?

edit2: Bonus Bonus question: do you havs any cats or dogs? If so, do you board them or leave them with a relative/friend while setting up? How does that work?

I am endlessly fascinated by this.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      BTW it took that dominoes guy 2 months to set up that video. My questions for the guy are twofold. First, did anything fall on accident during those two months? Second, What did you do to prevent them from falling on accident before you were ready?

edit: Bonus question: What was your process for setting it up?

edit2: Bonus Bonus question: do you havs any cats or dogs? If so, do you board them or leave them with a relative/friend while setting up? How does that work?

I am endlessly fascinated by this.

In the video description he says it's a lot of individual setups made to look like it was one long unbroken chain. Still I'm sure each individual one collapses prematurely or messily once or twice before he gets it right.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      edited November 2017
      Doom controls so much better with the pro controller it's not even funny. I went from being dominated consistently in multi to actually winning in the blink of an eye after I switched to the pro. Then I went to the area in the campaign that I had been having trouble with and breezed through it with ease. People playing in handheld mode don't have a chance vs those with pro controllers, it's just as big of a gulf as the one between kbam and controllers.

PS. make sure to turn look smoothing all the way down.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
      See that troubles me. If I wanted to play Doom with the Pro then I would just buy it on PS4...decisions decisions...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
      edited November 2017
      See that troubles me. If I wanted to play Doom with the Pro then I would just buy it on PS4...decisions decisions...

It's still totally playable in handheld, you're just going to be at a disadvantage in multi, no more than the people who chose standard instead of motion controls in Splatoon 2 though. I suppose a lot of it has to do with not being used to that control scheme for FPS games. This is the first FPS on the Switch after-all.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      How is using the pro better, don't they both have the same button layouts? Are there separate control schemes between joycon and pro or is it the analog sticks in particular?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

You can also still play the game with the pro in mobile mode. :P

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
      Tbf I did that maybe twice during my SMO playthrough. I’m not a fan

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
      Ah I love it, personally. I generally don't like looking down when playing games. Being able to put it on a table and laying back is golden.

edited November 2017
      urahonky wrote: »

You can also still play the game with the pro in mobile mode. :P

This is my preferred way to play a shooter. Back when Splatoon first came out it got to a point where I'd just start bringing the tablet (in hybrid cover of course) + pro controller with me and would leave everything else at home. There's something liberating about the simplicity of propping open the hybrid cover with the pro controller in my lap and being automatically ready to go for a full-ish console experience.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Zen Studios has delayed the release of Pinball FX3 on Nintendo Switch from November 14, 2017 to a date in December 2017, which will be announced shortly. According to a PR email.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      Giantbomb said the joycon sticks have some sort of weird dead zone that makes aiming with them in Doom tricky. Or Brad was coming for excuses as to why he kept missing easy rocket shots, but that sounds a bit weird. But I'm not a fan of the joycon anyway so pro controller all the way.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
      Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
      Neaden wrote: »
      Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?

The Switch is the best portable I have ever owned. The power of a console in your hands.

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      As a handheld it is too expensive and not sturdy enough for me to trust my 6 year old to hold and play. But he still gets to play Super Mario Odyssey on the TV with a Pro controller. I use it as a handheld from time to time but I never really take it anywhere outside the house.

(She/Her)
    • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Keep in mind the 3DS and Vita (especially the Vita) are nearing the end of their lives, so don't expect too many new games going forward.

I love Switch though you won't be able to put it in your pocket and will almost certainly need a case if you're using it portable most of the time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
      edited November 2017
      cloudeagle wrote: »

Keep in mind the 3DS and Vita (especially the Vita) are nearing the end of their lives, so don't expect too many new games going forward.

I love Switch though you won't be able to put it in your pocket and will almost certainly need a case if you're using it portable most of the time.

Yeah, part of it is I'm torn between buying something that has a good backlog of games vs something that will have games in the future. I'll be carrying a bag anyway so the pocket thing isn't an issue.
      Thanks for all the input so far.

Neaden on
    • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      I frequently bring my Switch with me, and have played it in all kinds of places. Splatoon in a Cafe is great, folks! However, it certainly isn't the "throw it in your bag and go" sturdy console that 3DS is. I use the hard case that came with Zelda BOTW Special Edition, which feels very secure, but also very bulky. It's bigger than the hardcover books I carry around.

If you haven't had a 3DS, there are a TON of great games on the system, and it's price point is phenomenal right now. Hard to say it isn't worth while, so long as you're okay playing older games.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
      edited November 2017
      SniperGuy wrote: »
      Giantbomb said the joycon sticks have some sort of weird dead zone that makes aiming with them in Doom tricky. Or Brad was coming for excuses as to why he kept missing easy rocket shots, but that sounds a bit weird. But I'm not a fan of the joycon anyway so pro controller all the way.

Look smoothing creates the deadzone.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      SniperGuy wrote: »

Look smoothing creates the deadzone.

Ahhhh that sounds like the culprit.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      Zen Studios has delayed the release of Pinball FX3 on Nintendo Switch from November 14, 2017 to a date in December 2017, which will be announced shortly. According to a PR email.

That noise was my wallet breathing a sigh of relief.

The Vita still exists? I haven't heard Sony even mention the name in several years.

This discussion has been closed.