As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Job] Thread in mourning

milskimilski Poyo!Registered User regular
edited January 2018 in Social Entropy++
Here is the thread to discuss the place or activities we do to get money required for buying food and shelter needed to sustain our existence. This OP was stolen from its rightful author.

Also get your flu shot or everybody here will be disappointed in you.

Rest in Peace.

I ate an engineer
milski on

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    A new job thread with the [Job] tag in it from the start instead of an esoteric joke? What a brave new world.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    A new job thread with the [Job] tag in it from the start instead of an esoteric joke? What a brave new world.

I'm all about functionality :)

I ate an engineer
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Had to work today. Don't think I made any mistakes, but if I did it was a pretty big mistake. That's the problem with being the only member of the skeleton crew with training in my area.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Finally a thread to talk about jobs. I felt bad usurping the Flu Shot thread to do so.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Are there dueling threads now?

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The old thread needs to get closed

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Generally considered poor form to start a new thread when the old one lingered, I believe.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Meanwhile now I'm trying to get work done in a bar and these people near me keep jumping pool balls off the table without even trying

How are they so bad at this

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I assumed the other one was locked when I saw there was a new one.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

The [Yeard] thread will live in our hearts forever.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    New job is going pretty well so far. I am only making one mistake per week as of yet.

I am still working the Sunday cook shift at the bar, and it's a little disappointing. The Boss Man changed the kitchen schedule so it's just one shift a day and he is doing all of the prep. Little things that I used to get done during the week are falling through the cracks.

It's a little disheartening.

I really thought that someone here would step up and help out. I really do love all of my coworkers, and I also understand that going above and beyond what they have to do doesn't really get them anything extra.

I'm not angry or upset with any of them. I'm more afraid that the Boss Man is going to run himself ragged trying to do almost everything around this place, and I don't want that to happen.

My problem is that I care too much.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lets talk about how dehumanizing retail is during the holiday season

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I dunno what you're talking about, serv-o-bot

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    tynic wrote: »
    Generally considered poor form to start a new thread when the old one lingered, I believe.

I mean, have your social conventions if you like, but if threads are supposed to be 100 pages then the old thread going to 101 is a logical time to make the new one. Under the system you mention I'll usually find the new [Job] thread like a week later because who knows when the new one will actually go up.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It's more of a moderator enforced rule that doesn't seem to be written down anywhere rather than the preference of an individual poster.

Threads go until 100, but sometimes a little longer, and a new one isn't made until the old one is closed and then we give thanks and throw rose petals over a portrait of Tube.

Call it parochial, if you like, but it's just how things are done in this village.

ChicoBlue on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think there's also something about white smoke from a chimney.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Well clearly I've fucked up or something.

*shrug*

I ate an engineer
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You've brought doom down upon us all.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    You've brought doom down upon us all.

https://youtu.be/R1Nd6LU4ImQ

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    DnD does new threads like this and SE++ does new threads like this.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

But what about H/A?!

I am confused. One thread was clearly a jab thread and this is a job thread. There is zero overlap!

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Goddammit I sent you all a memo describing the transitional period as a new thread maker is given the power, to maximize the synergy we've created to make the best thread possible. The new thread metrics will prove the minimum viable product needed to be forged in the standard but industry redefining conventions, with reduced time to live and shortened production cycles that increase the potential value that can be achieved. Thank you for your understanding as excellent threads perform optimally throughout the new reporting period. Synergy!

hippofant wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

But what about H/A?!

I would post about how I am just really burnt out with no where to turn to and blah blah blah why bother blah blah no one cares blah blah
    But I really feel I am past the point of helping

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Impactful"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    The problem with unwritten rules is that they are unwritten.

And also that they are rules.

Fuck The Man

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    @Brainleech apply for your damn VA benefits already you could be getting over a grand a month.

Weaver wrote: »
    @Brainleech apply for your damn VA benefits already you could be getting over a grand a month.

Someone I served with whom they put back together with wires and screws is rumored to get over 4k a month
    I only know this because someone else I served with only lives a few blocks away from him and is shocked how fat he got.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So what you're saying is, is that you're going to apply for your benefits.

sig.gif
    I did like many things I have yet to hear back from them

I really found it sad that I had the meeting for my benefits back in 2013 saying they will kick in 2019
    Yay for government paperwork

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well I just found out that I had it all wrong, and even though I have to work Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas day, we don't get any extra pay. I mean. I still get 8 hours of holiday pay same as everyone else, but it doesn't count as OT or anything, its just a flat extra 8 hours per holiday added to my check, so I do come out a little ahead of other departments, but everyone in my department still works 40 hours every week, so working the holiday gets you nothing.

Horrary.

• DedpuppyDedpuppy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I did like many things I have yet to hear back from them

I really found it sad that I had the meeting for my benefits back in 2013 saying they will kick in 2019
    Yay for government paperwork

There is no way it should take that long, unless maybe you're still in the inactive reserves. You should register at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage , from there you can apply online as well as check the status of your claim. Also, it would be a good idea to get in contact with one of the veteran's advocacy agencies, like the VFW. They can help quite a bit getting through the process.

f9uosTq.png

Battle.net:Ritalynn#1974
    XBL: Tranewrek
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also besides all the physical stuff you've dealt with/might still be dealing with, file a PTSD claim. It's hard, especially if you're in a mindset still "No I've got this nothing wrong with me". File it, go to the exam, be honest and don't hide anything. Besides having greater access to any social support stuff that might help you out, actually getting a rating with monthly payments can be the key to getting out of walmart hell.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So.

I almost won the first battle with the sales manager.

But then one of my team 2ICs stepped in, bypassed the agreed upon process, and moved the order to the next stage.

In the process of doing that they made a bunch of assumptions that weren't easily available through the information provided, made me look like an asshole to both the customer and the sales team, undermined the process that we're trying to implement, and decided to do an end run around all the management.

Yes, we'll likely get the customer connected, but that doesn't change the fact that their address as they told me doesn't exist in the system. We're still going to need all the back up documentation to get their address added to the national system. And we're still going to need to establish the correct process and who is responsible for it going forward.

This person told me all last week to keep fighting, to keep pushing, to keep following procedure. They waited until my day off before doing the opposite of what they'd been telling me.

I'm. Furious.

To the point of tears.

But I've decided that I'm not going to do what I used to do, which would be fume in silence. I'm going to talk to my manager tomorrow morning.

It's one thing to be proven wrong. I can eat that. It's one thing to be right and then tossed under the bus.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    At least when the bus runs you over, you'll pop out the back to see it fly off the cliff.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oh man, the christmas change freeze cannot come soon enough.

Then I can finally organise my emails because right now my inbox is a disorganised mess and that vexes me

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Oghulk wrote: »

It was the weekend, get off my dick.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Don't you have minions to do that for you?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

It was the weekend, get off my dick.

Y'all need more mods? What about making someone like Viv a mod?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2017
    Nah, we're ok. A thread can go to 101 before getting locked every once in a while.
    Karl wrote: »
    Don't you have minions to do that for you?

I'm the only person who actually has to be here.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.