As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre Fight Debate: Bracket 2

Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
Match A:

275px-LadyDeathstrike.png
Lady Deathstrike

Powers: Superhuman strength, agility, and reflexes derived from cybernetically enhanced body. Adamantium skeleton and claws, artificial healing factor.

Vs.

175px-Sinestro.jpg
Sinestro

Powers: oddly shaped head, purple skin, bad mustache, qwardian power ring that allows him to create constructs and weapons

Environment: Sh'iar space station.

Match B:

mirror.gif
Mirror Master

Powers: Various powers over mirrors, including the ability to travel through them and trap others within them.

Vs.

225px-Loki64.PNG
Loki

Powers: Goofy hat, vast magical powers, typical superhuman attributes of Asgardian race such as extended longevity and superhuman strength, great intellect, shape-shifter

Environment: An amusment park house of mirrors. Breaking any of the mirrors will result in a disqualification.

Match C:

250px-Rasalghul.PNG
Ra's Al Ghul

Powers: advanced lifespan, skilled alchemist, fencer, skilled in hand to hand combat

Equipment: Epee, 3 viral bombs

Vs.

250px-SHAW.jpg
Sebastian Shaw

Powers: poor fashion sense, metabolizes kinetic energy or electricity directed at him into greater physical strength, endurance and durability.

Environment: STAR Labs. Full access to all equipment for both competitors.

Match D:

225px-Bright_luthor.png
Lex Luthor

Powers: Genius intellect, Apokaliptican Battlesuit

Vs

225px-Uxm140.png
Wendigo

Powers: Superhuman strength, durability and endurance, regenerative healing factor, hardened talons

Environment: Mogo. Mogo is not allowed to socialize.

Doctor Doom on

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Loki's in this!? I see the environment is intersting. But still: Loki?

august on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Mirror Master by a longshot. I'm not even going to touch the second match.

Terrorbyte on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:

Thor won the other tournament. Why's Loki worse than Thor?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Deathstrike has a snowballs chance in hell of beating Sinestro.

Furu on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sinestro
    Loki
    Ghul
    Luthor

PiptheFair on
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:

Thor won the other tournament. Why's Loki worse than Thor?

Shit, I dunno.

august on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Loki doesn't have a funny hat...it's a helmet...I think...

I call Sinestro, Loki, Ra's Al Ghul, and Wendigo.

Edit: Actually...after looking at the Wikipedia entry for Luthor (and his battlesuit) I'm gonna go with Lex on the last battle.

Royse on
    edited November 2006
    If Deathsroke gets the drop on Sinestro, she could gut him.

august on
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:

That's the only possible way, though, and it's hard to get the drop on someone who flies and is not stupid.

Furu on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    august wrote:

That's the only possible way, though, and it's hard to get the drop on someone who flies and is not stupid.
    And can, you know with prior knowledge, put up a shield anyway.

PiptheFair on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

And is near-constantly surrounded by a powerful shield and wears a ring that has galaxy-wide sensor capabilities.

Terrorbyte on
    edited November 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Furu wrote:

And is near-constantly surrounded by a powerful shield and wears a ring that has galaxy-wide sensor capabilities.

Okay fine.

Jeez.

august on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Mirror Master by a longshot. I'm not even going to touch the second match.

I'm inclined to agree. Mostly because there's something poetic about the god of trickery getting trapped in a funhouse mirror.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How's Loki with other dimensions? Assuming he cannot traverse them (including Mirror Master's mirror dimension) with ease, I give it to Mirror Master. The environment prevents Loki from going all out with his powers. Eventually, he'll get frustrated and mess up.

What can the Apok battle suit do?

Ghul takes out Shaw with knockout gas.

Sinestro punches a hole in the space station and Deathstrike gets sucked out?

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    Will Ghul know Shaw's powers beforehand?

august on
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Okay fine.

Jeez.

Plus they are on a space station.

All he has to do is blow a hole in the hull.

EDIT: Beat'd.

Furu on
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:
    Even if he doesn't, the rules of comic book expository dialogue dictate that Shaw explains them within the first five minutes of the fight.

Ghul doesn't punch people anyway. He has his epee, so he'll tag shaw in the jugular.

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    How's Loki with other dimensions?

Loki's Wiki says he's capable of "interdimensional teleportation"...so I don't see him getting trapped by Mirror Master.

Royse on
  • Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:

no. competitors will have access to all of the prior round's fights, but unless they have knowledge of their opponent prior to their first match, they are on their own.

Doctor Doom on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fighting Mirror Master in a House of Mirrors where you're disqualified for breaking anything? Tsk, hate to say it, but Loki's screwed.

Synthetic Orange on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mirror Man in a house full of mirrors...Thats like his thing man. Loki has got some cool tricks im sure, but its gonna be tough.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited November 2006
    Nogs wrote:
    Mirror Man in a house full of mirrors...Thats like his thing man. Loki has got some cool tricks im sure, but its gonna be tough.

Man...he can uh...like...trick MM into breaking one of his own mirrors. He could...uh...I got nothing.

:(

Royse on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, I'd like to see Loki tricking Mirrormaster into breaking a mirror in that fight. God of trickery and all.

Siestro, Ra's, and Luthor are pretty fucking given winners, otherwise.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2006
    Honselty, Loki is pretty badass.

Marvel Comics Loki, though? Eh.

august on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Why all the Loki hate? He's the god of trickery, I doubt Mirror Master could fuck with him. With his interdimensional powers, godly strength and stamina I think Loki's got it in the bag.

EDIT: I need signature help, I made a sig for this tourney have it on imageshack but it won't show up. Yes I have "Show Signature" checked, what's the correct BBCode I put in the box?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Loki also has a temper problem. I see him breaking a mirror early on.

Hensler on
    edited November 2006
    Loki is nothing if not a schemer...I think the "no mirror breaking" rule helps Loki more than it does MM. Because of it, all Loki has to do is trick MM into breaking a mirror. And trickery is what he's good at.

To look at it another way...since MM can't trap Loki...in what other ways could he eliminate him?

Royse on
    edited November 2006
    Mirror Master taunts Loki and jumps around the mirrors until he gets pissed and breaks one.

Hensler on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Mirror Master taunts Loki and jumps around the mirrors until he gets pissed and breaks one.
    If Loki is aware of the rules, I doubt he would get that pissed that easily. He has a temper but most of the time he loses it when he battles Thor, whom he loathes with an amazing passion, so he wouldn't go beserk against a guy who can do some tricks with mirrors neraly as quick.

Also, I doubt Loki would be unable to catch Mirror Master, MM can go into one dimension, Loki can go through many. Loki has much more potential for mind fuckery than MM.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man.... my two picks that made it facing against each other in the first round... Sigh.

Well I'll have to give that match to Sinestro.
    then Loki.
    then Ras.
    then Luthor.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sinestro/Loki/Ra's/Luthor

Dude. Loki.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Re: Shaw, from the wiki. "He absorbs the energy of any blow he is struck by, not just punches, but bullets"

"Without absorbing energy he is merely a strong ordinary human, but normally Shaw works to keep his strength at a superhuman level"

So he'd go into the fight with at least some extra strength and stamina. With the supposed ability to absorb energy from a bullet, it's unclear to me how well an epee would work. So I think it'd come down to his intellect and viral bombs, and if they can take him out before shaw one-punches what is essentially a person with a relatively standard human physique.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2006
    Septus wrote:
    Re: Shaw, from the wiki. "He absorbs the energy of any blow he is struck by, not just punches, but bullets"

"Without absorbing energy he is merely a strong ordinary human, but normally Shaw works to keep his strength at a superhuman level"

So he'd go into the fight with at least some extra strength and stamina. With the supposed ability to absorb energy from a bullet, it's unclear to me how well an epee would work. So I think it'd come down to his intellect and viral bombs, and if they can take him out before shaw one-punches what is essentially a person with a relatively standard human physique.

If Wolverine's claws don't hurt him, I don't think the epee will, either. And since he has superhuman durability and endurance, I think he'd be able to hold his breath and resist the viral bomb to get close to Ra's and take him out. But I could be mistaken - I only really know Ra's from BTAS.

Hensler on
    edited November 2006
    How does he prevent Wolverine's claws from hurting him?

robosagogo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A: Sinestro. A basic meleer has no chance against a Green Lantern type.
    B: Loki. What the fuck is Mirror Master going to do to fucking Loki? The only way he can lose is by breaking a mirror, and Loki's not the one who's going to get tricked.
    C: Shaw. Viral bombs might take him down, but not before Shaw's had a chance to break Ra's neck.
    D. Luthor. Luthor's thing is fighting a guy way past Wendigo in strength, and unlike Superman, Wendigo has the IQ of a piece of toast.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    How does he prevent Wolverine's claws from hurting him?

It didnt explain it when it happened, but Wolverine's claws just didnt go into him. I'm guessing it works just like it does when he gets shot by a bullet - he absorbs the incoming kinetic energy, and the projectile comes to a halt.

Hensler on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    A: Sinestro. A basic meleer has no chance against a Green Lantern type.
    B: Loki. What the fuck is Mirror Master going to do to fucking Loki? The only way he can lose is by breaking a mirror, and Loki's not the one who's going to get tricked.
    C: Shaw. Viral bombs might take him down, but not before Shaw's had a chance to break Ra's neck.
    D. Luthor. Luthor's thing is fighting a guy way past Wendigo in strength, and unlike Superman, Wendigo has the IQ of a piece of toast.
    This is how I see it.

deadonthestreet on
    edited November 2006
    Come on, the Hellfire Club is pathetic compared to Ghul's global conspiracies and Shaw is just a second-rate grandmaster.

Even if a viral bomb isn't enough, Ghul could just smoothly take him with the epee (it's not a bullet and there doesn't need to be a whole lot of kinetic energy behind the strike).

robosagogo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it's been established that blades don't hurt him.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Come on, the Hellfire Club is pathetic compared to Ghul's global conspiracies and Shaw is just a second-rate grandmaster.

Even if a viral bomb isn't enough, Ghul could just smoothly take him with the epee (it's not a bullet and there doesn't need to be a whole lot of kinetic energy behind the strike).

If it's moving at all, it has kinetic energy.

Hensler on