As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I probably sound grumpier than I intended in those posts, I'm mostly being curmudgeonly for comic effect and because it's early.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I probably sound grumpier than I intended in those posts, I'm mostly being curmudgeonly for comic effect and because it's early.

Anyone not grumpy this early is weird. Anyone actually cheerful should be shot.

Your grumpiness at this hour is right and good.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My fiance is so chipper in the morning and I do not understand how she does it.

I suspect she is doing a bump of coke every morning on the sly

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The old thread needs to get closed

It was the weekend, get off my dick.

:tell_me_more:

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

My partner wakes up when her alarm goes off and positively springs out of bed. Then she says crazy shit like "I want to go do some exercise right now", and I'm still a solid hour away from being able to force myself to tumble out of bed.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's the morning and I'm chipper. It's also almost my bedtime. #thirdshiftlife

sig.gif
  • Options
    The good thing about flipping your work day so that your "leisure" time is before work begins is that one can accumulate a truly catastrophic amount of life stress before the actual day begins

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Even if I get up at 7:30 for work I am not awake until noonish.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Aw fuck, its almost time to sleep and I haven't written or exercised.

I just applied to an entry level GIS position at the oregon end of Idaho, I have no faith or hope, but doing something with that apathy is necessary in life.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm not closing today, instead I have a normal people shift. Which would be fine, except I've been up since 5am which has not put me in the same galactic supercluster as anything approaching a happy place.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I've stuck to my plan of doing 9-5 every day at university even if class starts at midday. Pretty chuffed about that.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I've stuck to my plan of doing 9-5 every day at university even if class starts at midday. Pretty chuffed about that.

I would have absolutely done better at uni if I had done that, so well done.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

My partner wakes up when her alarm goes off and positively springs out of bed. Then she says crazy shit like "I want to go do some exercise right now", and I'm still a solid hour away from being able to force myself to tumble out of bed.

I need a solid hour of staring at a wall while drinking coffee before doing anything in the morning

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Liiya wrote: »

I would have absolutely done better at uni if I had done that, so well done.

Ditto in my undergrad, I would have been less stressed!

Liiya on
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

I need a solid hour of staring at a wall while drinking coffee before doing anything in the morning

I used to lift on such a tight schedule that I needed to time my "stare at a wall, drink coffee" time. I got it down to twenty minutes I think.

• Options
    Just had a meeting with our new account rep for time warner. He is a pleasant dude.

Also we're setting up a point to point network between our remote office and this one.

Please to be no more VPN thank you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Job thread, I need some help.

I need resources to help me get back up to speed with Excel (and specifically Excel) and I need them fast. I haven't used this shit in ages and now I'm going to have to do it daily.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Coming down from a glorious three day weekend is the worst. It is at least tempered by the fact that my time in Visiting will soon be done once I train the person arriving today.

Apparently the other person who keeps fucking up in major ways has also inserted herself into the training so oh boy here's hoping I can maybe shoo her away so this job gets done right.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Get an email from a teacher asking to schedule book checkout for her classes. I reply, "sure what blocks do you have."

Send it then pause, click back on her email and see that she clearly listed the blocks right at the top.

Ugh. Mondays.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    korodullin wrote: »

I need resources to help me get back up to speed with Excel (and specifically Excel) and I need them fast. I haven't used this shit in ages and now I'm going to have to do it daily.

What do you need to know how to do?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Might check and see if your local library subscribes to a tech skills or professional training database. Something like lynda.com or LearningExpress Library will have some good introductory training materials. If not, they'll definitely have some Excel 2010 For Dummies style books that should get your feet wet.

Otherwise, the Mr. Excel YouTube channel got us through some tricky patches when my wife was having to learn crazy spreadsheet stuff in college.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I need resources to help me get back up to speed with Excel (and specifically Excel) and I need them *fast*. I haven't used this shit in ages and now I'm going to have to do it daily.

If you have any specific questions feel free to @ me (and I assume there are other excel wizards in here).

What specific tasks will you need to be doing? Knowing what specific things you need will be helpful.

This tutorial site looks pretty decent, though I cant actually check any of the Youtube stuff at work.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

https://excel.tips.net/index.html - that one's helped me out with a couple things for banging together my own "I did that thing," tracking system, but you do sort of need to know what you're looking for.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

What do you need to know how to do?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I know for sure I need to set up a daily manifest for what parts are going to be processed and shipped out and which teams will be assigned to handle them, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be pulling it from a central database or if I'm going to have to be doing it by hand or what.

I'm mostly just looking for basic functionality refreshers.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @korodullin

For basic Excel stuff, the Help text isn't really bad, so start there. (For anything advanced, it kinda sucks donkey balls.)

Practice the SUMIFS, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX, and concatenate (&) functions, and you've got, like, 85% of things you'll need to do in Excel down.

• Options
    Just remember putting "=" into the box will pop up a whole bunch of stuff, and you can start doing most basic arithmetic from there (remember PEMDAS)

You can refer to cells and ranges specifically by doing things like "C15" and "B10:B19". So if you wanted to add up a range of cells, you can just do "=SUM(B10:B19)", or hell, even type them individually.

Knowing how to do that puts you into the upper ranks of "people who can use excel well". I discovered a few years back that someone was doing it all by hand every day and eating up hours of their day doing calculations that a spreadsheet can do in seconds.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Also I've had a lot of luck just googling what I want Excel to do and finding out how to do it. Even if it's weird shit like "How do I sort this sheet using only the middle 4 digits of a 14 digit number."

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    "Professional googler" is pretty much my job description.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I used to lift on such a tight schedule that I needed to time my "stare at a wall, drink coffee" time. I got it down to twenty minutes I think.

Well I've been steadily working my way down from 16 hours.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My issue with Excel is I know how to do all these neat functions but don't have a real-world situation where I can apply any of them in a practical sense.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    My issue with Excel is I know how to do all these neat functions but don't have a real-world situation where I can apply any of them in a practical sense.

its quite simple really

you make up uses for them, insist there's no other way to do it, and then hold an organization captive over your excel witch-doctoring

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Oh are you a librarian too?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I am a data hoarder if that's what you mean.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    There are tags to pull data from our process database into excel, (not exactly) like FLOW0001. Many times, these also have a tag that shows the percent opening of the associated valve, FLOW0001.OP

The formula for pulling data is complicated and 90% of users use a little wizard to do it by selecting the tag and start/end date, limiting their ability to make flexible formulas but letting them generate the data they want. More confident users can edit those formulas to do things like use relative cell references, so you get stuff like PULLDATA(B$1,$A2,$A2+1,*otherstuff*), where the "1" row is tags and the A column is dates (e.g. B1 is Flow0001, C1 is Temp0002); you can then drag this over a range to get the average data for all those tags on all those days.

One madman decided that he didn't like having to type the same tag with ".OP" when making these sheets, so he instead created the above formula but replaced "B$1" with Concatenate(B$1,".OP"), creating PULLDATA(Concatenate(B$1,".OP"),$A2,$A2+1,*otherstuff*)

It worked but I have no idea how that was meant to be easier.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Had my job interview this morning, I think it went well!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    i have excel stories. i have excel stories so deep and rich that not only do i not care to recall them, even if i could, they would be too long for a forum post

roughly 2.5 years ago, i began writing a from-scratch bizarro version of Google Sheets for a major healthcare company so that they could do bulk processing of their sales and pricing formulas, which were so vast and convoluted that attempting to do so in MS Excel itself would basically cripple all but the most expensive desktop computers.

they became so grief stricken with what this process revealed to them about their own handiwork, they basically had to hire whole other person just to make their spreadsheets actually work they way they had always thought they worked

could you imagine an excel file so large that changing any cell would lock up a $4,000 computer for 25 minutes

i can imagine it. i saw it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i have excel stories. i have excel stories so deep and rich that not only do i not care to recall them, even if i could, they would be too long for a forum post

roughly 2.5 years ago, i began writing a from-scratch bizarro version of Google Sheets for a major healthcare company so that they could do bulk processing of their sales and pricing formulas, which were so vast and convoluted that attempting to do so in MS Excel itself would basically cripple all but the most expensive desktop computers.

they became so grief stricken with what this process revealed to them about their own handiwork, they basically had to hire whole other person just to make their spreadsheets actually work they way they had always thought they worked

I remember you guys writing that excel clone.

Did you never finish it?

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular

I am a data hoarder if that's what you mean.

One of us! One of us!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Jasconius wrote: »

I remember you guys writing that excel clone.

Did you never finish it?

pretty much yes. there are a few taboo things in Excel that we didn't do because they would have taken months if not years to fully implement

but for the purposes of financial modeling, it is whole and marketable

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, the big thing with all our monitoring spreadsheets is that you have to turn off auto-calculate and only F9 when you need to update them. They don't take forever but it's easier than hanging for a few seconds every change when you have a lot to do.

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.