As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I played 3 player FFA today verse Grey Knights and Death Guard.

Ugh killing Death Guard is just a pain. Especially when I am a 1k points which is basically the foundations not the toys of my list.

Also tried Lucius. He killed a strike squad. The biggest issue is he is a super expensive Chaos Lord but has a worse invuln. Oh great I get a single mortal wound if I make a save but he just dies to about anything with a decent ap.

Top it off he only has 4 strength and all his weapons are based on his strength with no increases making him also mediocre at killing many characters.

Well back into not using. For 23 less points I get a a lord with plasma pistol and a power fist and a 4++. Or I can go cheap and give him a power sword for even less. I wish he was useful at some point.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Building my Death guard my only complaint is that the kit doesn't support all of the options in the boxes. Everything is also specific to each sculpt so there is some lack of variety.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    FW bounty hunter coming from necromunda.
    t4kvf9u1ppyi.jpeg
    On the one hand, a beastman bounty hunter is fukkin rad as hell.
    On the other, between this sculpt, the DoW Angelos sculpt and the BB star players it feels like FW’s not been up to snuff recently

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I think the Blood Bowl players have been about 50-50, but I get what you're saying. Also, I'm totally ordering this guy.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    t4kvf9u1ppyi.jpeg
    On the other, between this sculpt, the DoW Angelos sculpt and the BB star players it feels like FW’s not been up to snuff recently

Helllllo Chaos Lord.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The 'Free In-Store Pickup' option on GW's site should really have another line for "Store Manager will harangue you for not paying in the store"

TIFunkalicious on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    *shrug* It's a dick move on GW's part, since the store gets no credit for the sale if it's delivered to the store but not paid for there. It's worth it for the manager to mention it, although certainly not go as far as 'harangue.
    The others I know, but what's wrong with this sculpt? It looks like an exceptionally badass 40K beastman.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    t4kvf9u1ppyi.jpeg

What are you talking about? That guy is rad as hell. He's a beastman mercenary with bionics, a chainsword and gun, chomping on a cigar. I may get him just to paint t him.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Can’t you just pay in store at the same time you order? They all have a little kiosk now, I thought. Then the store gets credit for the sale and your manager doesn’t stare hungrily at you with his cold, dead shark eyes as you leave.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I didn't want the model to sell out online and they were closed at the time. I've used their desktop to order stuff before

That store has just been bumming me out lately. I bought my starter set and all my paints there and it still feels like I can't hang out, play, and talk about hobby stuff without it turning into a sales pitch

Damn if they don't have the best terrain though

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Can’t you just pay in store at the same time you order? They all have a little kiosk now, I thought. Then the store gets credit for the sale and your manager doesn’t stare hungrily at you with his cold, dead shark eyes as you leave.

You canorder online and have it shipped to the store at no cost. But if you pay online, instead of doing it at the in-store terminal, then the order doesn't count for the store's numbers.

One of the Kirby era dick moves that's still around.

• frayfray Registered User regular
    Yeah, that beastman looks rad AF.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    Is that what forgeworld resin looks like now or is that some sort of demo model? I don’t remember their resin looking that white. Maybe it’s just the lighting.

I want a box of Escher to turn into Slaanesh cultist.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I want a box of Escher to turn into Escher gangers for my Escher gang

fuck gendered marketing
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Its not a bad sculpt by any means, but the chest aquilla, the pouches and the loincloth seem kinda clunk by FW standards

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Painted:

40k-open-days-template-for-product-promo-images-bounty-hunter-700x700.jpg

I’m throwing all my money down the money hole on a tyranid army, and man does it really hurt starting a brand new army without a decade of bits to fall back on. Lucked out over the weekend though, went to a local flea market for some delicious boiled peanuts and some guy had a big filthy box full of old broken warhammer miscellanea next to the sack of McDonald’s toys and old hair dryers. Ten bucks got me the whole box.
    After braving potential hepatitis digging through it all, I ended up with a bunch of metal tyranid torsos that I can slap some guns on and run as biovores, as well as heaps of old space crusade minis. I just need to drop everything in some strong cleaner first to get the funk of forty thousand years out of it all.

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I spent 3 years doing flea markets/tag sales every single sunday Spring-Fall and I never once saw ANY 40k, and ONE small fantasy starter set.

You're a lucky dog!

TraceofToxin on
    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’m throwing all my money down the money hole on a tyranid army, and man does it really hurt starting a brand new army without a decade of bits to fall back on. Lucked out over the weekend though, went to a local flea market for some delicious boiled peanuts and some guy had a big filthy box full of old broken warhammer miscellanea next to the sack of McDonald’s toys and old hair dryers. Ten bucks got me the whole box.
    After braving potential hepatitis digging through it all, I ended up with a bunch of metal tyranid torsos that I can slap some guns on and run as biovores, as well as heaps of old space crusade minis. I just need to drop everything in some strong cleaner first to get the funk of forty thousand years out of it all.

I hear ya. I made the bad choice of picking up the nid codex and get started box. Luckily I think my LGS has some good tuperware containers full of craptastic nids I can scavenge.

website_header.jpg
    The guy who ran the stall was a cleaner for a company that owned low income housing projects. So after a tenant left or was kicked out, he’d go in and clean the place up. Apparently one tenant had left a huge warhammer collection, and he’d pocketed the majority for eBay. That was just a big filthy box of stuff he didn’t want to clean and organize.

Luckily, I have incredibly low standards and will buy anything.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Just traded some Chaos models I chouldnt use in my DG (some chosen, raptors, and some spare chaos lords) for some nid stuff. Got the old start collecting, some spore mines, three carnifexs and like a huge box of bits that weights about a kilo.

All aboard the bug train in this thread.

edited November 2017
    I am selling my orks, had less than I thought when I started cataloging.

I am not on the nid train.

I am on the Eldar train.

TOOT TOOT! Next stop wraithguard town.

(the starter box is still illegal no matter what I look at I think, you need two to get a spearhead detachment)

Edit:

This on the other hand is legal.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Craftworlds-Army-2017

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I want a box of Escher to turn into Escher gangers for my Escher gang

I'm half-wondering if I can use them as a base to add some variety to my Witch Elf squads (I suspect not!), but I'm definitely gonna pick up a box regardless.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    .............all of these people getting on the bug train, and me, an actual living bug doesn't have the disposable income yet to do so

(you guys i'm totally making a hive fleet kraken nidzilla list with some gargoyles and flyrants for deepstrike flexibility)

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    How do you counter a Raven Guard army that uses Strike from the Shadows with Aggressors?

Even a three model squad can drop 9" away from a unit anywhere on the board and fire off 36 + 6D6 (so anywhere from 42 to 72 shots, multiply this by 2 if they take a full 6 model unit) on turn 1 if they go first. They're only S4 AP0 D1 shots, but still. If the player wants to be a dick they can do this with multiple squads (as many CP as they have), since RAW the strategem is paid for outside of an actual game turn and isn't subject to the once per turn limit.

The only thing I could think of was maximizing the odds of getting the first turn to limit their effectiveness. If they were single wound models than you could use an Orbital Bombardment and hope for a 4-5 die roll, but they're 2W, and even if it worked you likely just burned through half of your CP.

Strike from the shadows deploys them, so if you go first you can just shoot them dead and it’s a bunch of wasted points. Also you can limit what they can target with your deployment.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm actually happy to see so many people starting kids. I love them, but I would love the old school mass of scuttling critters that advances on you in an inexorable tide, not flyrants.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'm actually happy to see so many people starting kids. I love them, but I would love the old school mass of scuttling critters that advances on you in an inexorable tide, not flyrants.

Kids are easily the most expensive and destructive army.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Well, the GW website is currently out of stock of almost all of the big Tyranid critters. So, it looks like I'm gonna be starting that old school scuttler army you're talking about, @valhalla130 . Mine enemies are (eventually) gonna be waist deep in hormagaunts and gants with a side of genestealers garnished with warriors, and a flyrant chaser.

Also, I'm fulla crap- they updated the biovore model while I wasn't looking, and it no longer looks like poop from an orkbutt.

How do you counter a Raven Guard army that uses Strike from the Shadows with Aggressors?

Even a three model squad can drop 9" away from a unit anywhere on the board and fire off 36 + 6D6 (so anywhere from 42 to 72 shots, multiply this by 2 if they take a full 6 model unit) on turn 1 if they go first. They're only S4 AP0 D1 shots, but still. If the player wants to be a dick they can do this with multiple squads (as many CP as they have), since RAW the strategem is paid for outside of an actual game turn and isn't subject to the once per turn limit.

The only thing I could think of was maximizing the odds of getting the first turn to limit their effectiveness. If they were single wound models than you could use an Orbital Bombardment and hope for a 4-5 die roll, but they're 2W, and even if it worked you likely just burned through half of your CP.

Depends on your army.

I use the Chaos version a lot.

So first do you have/can you have screening units? That 9" is 9" from your nearest unit. Cultist, some scouts, cheap nids, cheap infantry of any sort help with this. You can limit what they target and when.

Second this is a deploy so if you get first turn blow them out of the water. That might be harder if they are Raven Guard. Also again those cheap screens are useful as well, a charge can shut down the shooting.

Last redundancy. What are they shooting at? Do you have back ups?

Its a nasty drop. I do a cheap version with 5 plasma gun havocs.

He is putting a lot of eggs in that basket, make it not cost you a ton if possible.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I’ve found a new most-hated plastic kit! The tyranid sporocyst is the most awful thing I’ve ever put together that wasn’t metal or resin. It has 20 fiddly little two-part spore chimneys, 15 pieces that form its bulbous football body, a million tentacles, and all of it has mold lines going nuts on every surface.
    It feels like GW designed it in a hate-fueled rage after every 3rd party company and their moms put out tyranid drop pods. And I have two more coming in the mail.

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    He is putting a lot of eggs in that basket, make it not cost you a ton if possible.

It costs like 130 pts. It's like, one egg.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.

It costs like 130 pts. It's like, one egg.

My brain forgets what SM units are, I was thinking Centurions.

Ehh, its okay not even that great.

I spend 135 and drop 4 plasma+1 combi-plasma on the map with the Chaos alpha legion infiltration ability.

Sure they drop a lot of bolter fire on you with no reroll support and if you space your stuff out right probably can't hit everything.

My tired brain wasn't even reading the right unit.

Still my suggestions work in general verse most alpha strike units like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I play Space Marines (counts as Iron Hands), so I think my solution will be careful deployment of my tanks as well as a couple of Stormtalons flying around. Skyhammers have a 60" range and I can burn a Command Point on Machine Empathy to make them hit on 3s.

SmokeStacks on
    My FLGS dosnt have the Nid codex in stock, so I’m going to have to go to a GW store for the first time in 15 years (because I’m too impatient to wait).

If I don’t come back send help.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    My FLGS dosnt have the Nid codex in stock, so I’m going to have to go to a GW store for the first time in 15 years (because I’m too impatient to wait).

By “help” you mean additional hands to carry shopping bags, right?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

By “help” you mean additional hands to carry shopping bags, right?

And a fresh line of credit.

If I don’t come back send help-
    - to the paint bar.

If I don’t come back send help-
    - to the paint bar.

I made it out with only the codex.

Then walked into my FLGS and bought the start collecting, a box of genestealers and some sector imperialis bases.

Whooops.

This discussion has been closed.