As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hat jump becomes pretty compulsory for some post game moons:
    I'm pretty sure the top level koopa races aren't possible without it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Hmm...guess I'll have to watch some youtube videos on how to do all the crazy jumps. Then fail miserably at doing them and watch different videos showing what happens when you get all the moons instead.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    IMO 500 moons is basically (my) 100% of the game, since AFAIK after that there's no more kingdoms to be unlocked for the Odyssey to fly to; and the game starts repeating content (like doing the same boss battles again).

Speed-runners already have any% done at ~1hr:16mins (about 126 moons just to see the credits?).

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Speed runmers are amazing.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Eh, some of the top level koopa races are trivialized with fancy hat jumps, but not necessarily required. In quite a few cases, the gold koopa takes a speedy alternate route but there's an even more alternater route that beats him handily. Two examples I found on my own:
    In the mermaid/lake kingdom, you can do a maximum height jump where the stairs are missing to skip the swimming section which AFAIK the gold koopa does not do. That is, butt stomp -> jump immediately for a high jump -> throw cap -> dive at cap and hop off it -> wall jump -> throw cap and dive again at ledge to grab it.

This guy does it even better than that.
    In Bubblaine Kingdom, you can capture a bubble squid, get to a high pool to the left of the rolling spike ball lane, shoot directly up and across to the goal. I think the gold koopa just quickly climbs the normal way, but this beats him easily.

This guy did it an even faster way, this might be the path the gold koopa takes just done more quickly.

A video I saw of a Lost Kingdom crazy jump you can do that the pro koopa doesn't

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    The final kingdom course is far too long for it's difficulty

I actually cannot believe it sent me back to the start after clearing about 8 stages then dying

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    IMO 500 moons is basically (my) 100% of the game, since AFAIK after that there's no more kingdoms to be unlocked for the Odyssey to fly to; and the game starts repeating content (like doing the same boss battles again).

Speed-runners already have any% done at ~1hr:16mins (about 126 moons just to see the credits?).

Any% is down to 1:09 currently https://www.speedrun.com/smo

Actually looking at that the run I tried for funsies was a World Peace run, collecting all main game multimoons and beating the game. I did not come anywhere close to 1:34 however. I ended up at like 2:55. Might try another one sometime though, this is a really good speedrun game.

• Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    I can whip out that long distance hat trick no problem, but that damn height trick will not happen for me.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    nintendo please don't do that to me

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    That can't be right. I remember it coming out and...

......oh I've wasted my life.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's weird to think that there's only been one proper 3D Mario game between that and Odyssey, and it was a pretty much a level pack for Galaxy rather than its own thing.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    We've been Mr. Gay for 10 years

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    never got the mario 3D World hate. It's one of my faves. After hitting that 500 moon mark I'm going back and replay some old classics.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    never got the mario 3D World hate. It's one of my faves. After hitting that 500 moon mark I'm going back and replay some old classics.

It's basically the Paper Mario: Color Splash of 3D Mario games. It was a massive improvement on 3D Land, but it still wasn't the Sunshine sequel that I had wanted.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I really want to replay Super Mario Galaxy on my Switch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    3D World is a better game than Sunshine or 64, and it’s still a real Mario game no matter how many times haters insinuate it isn’t.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    New Super Mario Bros is different from Super Mario Bros 3D World is different from Super Mario 64/Galaxy/Odyssey.

And I like all of them. It'd be nice if we could get an even mix of them, but generally it seems like Nintendo picks whatever style they're in the mood for. And I can roll with that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    At least New SMB has a separate team. I just hope they're working on something fresher than another "New" title, but still building upon what we had in New SMB U.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    New Super Mario Bros is different from Super Mario Bros 3D World is different from Super Mario 64/Galaxy/Odyssey.

And I like all of them. It'd be nice if we could get an even mix of them, but generally it seems like Nintendo picks whatever style they're in the mood for. And I can roll with that.

Nintendo doesn't consider Galaxy to be lumped in with 64 and Sunshine. It's a "course clear" game in their eyes, not an exploration one. And I'd tend to agree. Galaxy has a lot more in common with 3D World than Sunshine. 3D World might as well be Galaxy but without the levels being all wrapped up on themselves with gravity shenanigans.

It's one of the better 3D Mario games honestly.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Please tell me the Shibe is Mario's new dog and it will be the adventures of Mario and Shibe from now on

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Please tell me the Shibe is Mario's new dog and it will be the adventures of Mario and Shibe from now on

1zapzr.jpg

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Does the game stop giving hints if you use them too much? Because I only have two moons left in sand kingdom and one of them is still blank on the list. Hint Toad and amiibo bot won't give new hints, and the parrot only repeats the other moon title.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Does the game stop giving hints if you use them too much? Because I only have two moons left in sand kingdom and one of them is still blank on the list. Hint Toad and amiibo bot won't give new hints, and the parrot only repeats the other moon title.

There'll be a thing you need to do in another kingdom first. They won't give you the hint because you can't do it currently and they don't want you getting frustrated in a wild goose chase.

Move on and hopefully all will become clear.

MhCw7nZ.gif

There'll be a thing you need to do in another kingdom first. They won't give you the hint because you can't do it currently and they don't want you getting frustrated in a wild goose chase.

So it's not the
    painting warp to the small island pyramid? I haven't found a warp to sand kingdom yet and I think that's the hint for the one of the two moons I have left, "Secret Path to Sand/Tostarena" to that effect. If the blank moon on my list is something else I'll move on.

So it's not the
    painting warp to the small island pyramid? I haven't found a warp to sand kingdom yet and I think that's the hint for the one of the two moons I have left, "Secret Path to Sand/Tostarena" to that effect. If the blank moon on my list is something else I'll move on.

I don't know if this is it but
    if you find hint art, pics with a cryptic clue that you need to screenshot for use later, those count toward the kingdom the art was found in but the moons are found in different kingdoms.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    He was simply waiting for the right moment to strike this entire time!

Why Cappy whyyyyyyy

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.

If Toad, Uncle Amiibo, and the parrot are saying there are no more hints, then you're done with that kingdom. They may say there's one moon left called "Found with XXXX Kingdom art", but that involves finding a picture from another kingdom first, so there's still nothing you can really do. Either way it's time to move on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    @BronzeKoopa: No, you'll get as many hints as you need for moons you can actually get. The moon you are thinking about that is still blank will be uncovered once you do some stuff in other kingdoms. Don't worry about it.

He was simply waiting for the right moment to strike this entire time!

Why Cappy whyyyyyyy

Cappy killed Mario like 6 minutes into the game

Yeah I'm moving on, spent way too much time wandering the desert looking at cactus patterns.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I didn't know you can capture piranha plants, they always eat cappy.

Also, was I the only person shocked to find Goombas could jump?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »
    I didn't know you can capture piranha plants, they always eat cappy.

Also, was I the only person shocked to find Goombas could jump?

You have to shove something else into their mouth first - loose rocks work, probably other things too

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I appreciate that when you do that, the first thing you spit out is what you threw at them

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    Yeah I would guess the piranha plants are going to be most people's final captures in the game, after looking it up online.

And then they're going to look it up a second time, because
    all the poison spitting plants in Wooded Kingdom are cleaned up in the post-game, and you have to go into a specific pipe to find them again.

And then you wonder why they're even capturable in the first place as they're nigh on useless. There's maybe one moon where knowing that would have been ever so slightly easier.
    There's some torches in the Luncheon Kingdom, and you can't really get a Fire Bros. to them. I guess the intended way was to capture the piranha and light them. I just stood in front of the torch and let it shoot me.

And then you wonder why they're even capturable in the first place as they're nigh on useless. There's maybe one moon where knowing that would have been ever so slightly easier.
    There's some torches in the Luncheon Kingdom, and you can't really get a Fire Bros. to them. I guess the intended way was to capture the piranha and light them. I just stood in front of the torch and let it shoot me.
    If it's what I'm thinking about, leap over them as a fireball.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

There's no easy access to that at that location.

I ate an engineer
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Post-boss Luncheon Kingdom
    If we're talking about the torches next to the race start line, here's what I did:

Warp to the top of the climb, capture a fireball. Jump out of the lava trough and fall down into the main lava sea. Swim over to the torches. You don't have to jump over them, just get close enough to touch and they'll light up. If you lose your lava dude just go back and grab another one.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

Post-boss Luncheon Kingdom
    If we're talking about the torches next to the race start line, here's what I did:

Warp to the top of the climb, capture a fireball. Jump out of the lava trough and fall down into the main lava sea. Swim over to the torches. You don't have to jump over them, just get close enough to touch and they'll light up. If you lose your lava dude just go back and grab another one.
    That's nearly what I did, only I did lose the lava ball. As I was pondering how to light the second torch, the piranha took a shot at me, and I just decided to play bullfighter with the fireball.