As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Well I don't see me getting 100% but it's been a damn fine game. Currently on 715 moons and I think I'll be done if I can clear
    Darker Side of the moon

Amazing how much of a post game there is. I beat the 'game' with something like 260 moons.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    You can just possess the thing that tried to kill you.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Dear whoever designed the Luncheon Kingdom... Why do you hate me? What did I ever do to you? What traumatic life event brought you down such a dark path?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Some of the post game challenges are real ball busters. This one took me a gazillion tries. Wasn't satisfied until I could get both moons in one go. Video in spoiler.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    BTW, not having a lot of time to devote to playing this game, on top of being like a week late due to Blizzcon travel (I brought it to play on the trip but never had the time) makes avoiding spoilers annoyingly hard. Already one channel I follow on Youtube has spoiled two end-game things in the god damn THUMBNAILS. Really? REALLY? I mean, one was a location I had assumed was somewhere I could visit based on the map, but STILL. You also don't put a picture of the god damn final Bowser fight in the thumbnail...
    The thumbnail was literally Bowser with a Mario mustache and cap on... I mean... ugg... The other was clearly the Moon...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    ...you can just posess the big bullet bills tho.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

Nope. You have no hat during this challenge.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Yeah, I posted video of this for posterity too when I did it. :)

Some areas are retreads of challenges from other areas but with even more stipulations/pressure. Off the top of my head:
    The one shown, with a hat and also hatless (hatless one adds those rocks below to jump between)

Invisible walkways with piranha plants spitting poison that reveals them, done with a hat and also hatless

P switch making loooong paths appear that disappear on a timer, done on a scooter and also just by running and barely making it

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Oh shit there's a no hat version of this level?

Good lord.

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Woo post-500 finished. That one was kind of a pain but it still wasn't as obnoxious as some of the altered retreads.

At this point I just have to figure out what I want to do next - I don't think I'll get everything, reward is probably a solid gold middle finger like the Zelda Koroks.

Some areas are retreads of challenges from other areas but with even more stipulations/pressure. Off the top of my head:
    The one shown, with a hat and also hatless (hatless one adds those rocks below to jump between)

Invisible walkways with piranha plants spitting poison that reveals them, done with a hat and also hatless

P switch making loooong paths appear that disappear on a timer, done on a scooter and also just by running and barely making it

I've only found the hatless versions of these challenges. Good grief and I thought I was being pretty thorough as I play through each kingdom, too. Game is huge.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

I've only found the hatless versions of these challenges. Good grief and I thought I was being pretty thorough as I play through each kingdom, too. Game is huge.

Me too! I found them in reverse order.
    I think it's because the tougher ones are in dark side, and if you unlock it soon after beating the game you're more likely to explore there than go back and do postgame moons.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

Me too! I found them in reverse order.
    I think it's because the tougher ones are in dark side, and if you unlock it soon after beating the game you're more likely to explore there than go back and do postgame moons.

That's exactly the reason. I did the same thing and was super confused when I found the easier versions because I thought I had done them already.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Woo post-500 finished. That one was kind of a pain but it still wasn't as obnoxious as some of the altered retreads.

At this point I just have to figure out what I want to do next - I don't think I'll get everything, reward is probably a solid gold middle finger like the Zelda Koroks.

It's not as bad. It's just an outfit though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

Spoilers for what you get for doing everything:
    I don't think there is an outfit. You get a thing for beating darker side but I think for doing everything you just get a harder final boss fight, and if you beat that, a postcard.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Watching the Completionist's Mario Odyssey review there's a little bonus if you get 999 moons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70pQfAsqVBg

BronzeKoopa on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Some of the post game challenges are real ball busters. This one took me a gazillion tries. Wasn't satisfied until I could get both moons in one go. Video in spoiler.

This one, man. Felt like I died about 50 times - well, let's see, I went from ~1950 coins to ~1650, so... yeah. The kicker was that halfway through those deaths, I had a run where I nailed it - but I hadn't gone far enough toward the cannon to trigger the lower bullet bill, so when I got back to the starting platform and adjusted the camera, I saw that no BB was giving chase. Absurd.

Satisfying to finally nail it, though.

Edit: Speaking of coins (postgame talk):
    Am I missing something about the coin grind? I'm at about 2,000 coins with about 480 moons, and the costumes I just unlocked (wedding clothes) are super pricey (1,000+ for each piece) - plus there's the uber-expensive Skelly suit that's been sitting in the shop for a while. Is it just a matter of continuing to play a ton? I'm going for 100%.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

This one, man. Felt like I died about 50 times - well, let's see, I went from ~1950 coins to ~1650, so... yeah. The kicker was that halfway through those deaths, I had a run where I nailed it - but I hadn't gone far enough toward the cannon to trigger the lower bullet bill, so when I got back to the starting platform and adjusted the camera, I saw that no BB was giving chase. Absurd.

Satisfying to finally nail it, though.

Edit: Speaking of coins (postgame talk):
    Am I missing something about the coin grind? I'm at about 2,000 coins with about 480 moons, and the costumes I just unlocked (wedding clothes) are super pricey (1,000+ for each piece) - plus there's the uber-expensive Skelly suit that's been sitting in the shop for a while. Is it just a matter of continuing to play a ton? I'm going for 100%.
    I believe that the Peach and Bowser wedding sets are given to you for free if you scan the appropriate Amiibo. They're in the shop as well so that players don't feel like they're locked out if they don't pay extra, but are expensive so that people who did purchase the Amiibos don't feel like they've been ripped off.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Yeah that

Spoilers for what you get for doing everything:
    I don't think there is an outfit. You get a thing for beating darker side but I think for doing everything you just get a harder final boss fight, and if you beat that, a postcard.

For getting every single mission moon you get:
    The balloon of the Odyssey turns gold.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Birb.

DOqennEUMAA8X9H.jpg

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I just realized that one of the post-game costumes is a bit of wry joke:
    If you want to afford the Skeleton Costume, you have to... work yourself to the bone.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I have now gotten every moon and every purple coin in the game.

Except the 100 jump rope moon.

Fuck.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    One of my friends has over 300.

I am SO MAD

steam_sig.png
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    It's kind of annoying there is no ingame way to get hints on missing purple coins. I'm missing 3-5 in a couple kingdoms and there's no way to find them without just aimless wandering.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    It's kind of annoying there is no ingame way to get hints on missing purple coins. I'm missing 3-5 in a couple kingdoms and there's no way to find them without just aimless wandering.

I had to consult a guide for the last three on the
    Moon
    area this morning.

Turns out I completely missed several the cave area.
    Under a fucking bridge you can only get to using the dry bones. The camera never gets a chance to pan aside it so you'd never know they were there.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    My Bowser amiibo has definitely become my most used amiibo.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, that was kind of a rotten function to lock behind an amiibo.

I’m very grateful my daughter got wedding trio for her birthday!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Accidentally found a cute little detail inside the odyssey today. The stacking dolls you can buy in the snow kingdom for inside the ship, if you jump on them they stack or unstack.

steam_sig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this. Not regretting getting a Switch.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I swear, Steam Gardens' 8 bit music sounds like something outta Megaman

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    Post game chatter
    The Mario 64 outfit is so awesome, I'm using it from now on

Molybdenum wrote: »
    So I found Toadette and was a little intimidated by the number of moons in that kingdom
    ... until talking to her gave me 20 by itself, and then I bought another 20 from the store.
    I think they need to fix this part a little bit, I had a ton of the achievements already before I talked to her so I had to sit there for a few minutes mashing A to get all the moons. It should just give you all the moons at once and tell you to look at the listing to see which ones you got

edited November 2017
    The best capture in the game is
    Yoshi

They could have made a whole game around that move set. Although I keep trying to butt-stomp and lose my capture.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh goodness gracious.

I beat the game.

And the last 3 kingdoms were just...

they were just incredible.

That thing that happens after the final fight was just insane.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Apparently, after the first trailers people were joking about Odyssey being a ripoff of Sonic Adventure. If only they knew...

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Oh goodness gracious.

I beat the game.

And the last 3 kingdoms were just...

they were just incredible.

I'm really pissed that got spoiled to me. I mean, I kinda expected it to happen in some form, but I would've liked to find it out myself.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    So, caving can really take a toll on the body of an old man.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This game has reminded me why I still love video games and that dumping lives was their single best design decision.

Such an incredibly good game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited November 2017
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I swear, Steam Gardens' 8 bit music sounds like something outta Megaman

Yeah it does, I've seen a lot of people saying that. Best music in the game besides that too.

In-game version of that music vs. a remix someone made that I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPoWhzzjkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ALqUfpdQlk

I like that the remix goes low-pitched with the lead. It sounds even more Mega Man somehow! The drums?

UncleSporky on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The regular version of Wooded Kingdom sounds straight up like a Crash Bandicoot track or something

Particularly one of the jet ski levels from 2