As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    As far as collectibles just make sure to get all the ones depicted on the map as an eye.
    I cried. I still feel a little teary when I think about the one
    where he writes that he decided against spending his remaining days on earth high because he knew his mother wouldn't want him to.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Environment text collectible in TFW
    I got a good laugh out of the Smokey bear robot going berzerk

Just imagining roasting marshmallows on a campfire and this huge fuckin bear walks over, dumps a bucket of water all over it, and stomps off without a word

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    You won't miss out on anything; if you want to go back to earlier areas to explore you pretty much always can. The game is pretty good about organically giving you what you need to know as it progresses.

Good to know, but I guess my question is whether I should keep my eyes peeled for unmarked secrets or just keep bouncing from quest to quest and enjoy the scenery? Then again I'm still trying to shift gears from BotW.

Edit: Though don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy to bounce from quest to quest since they've been dangling little bits of worldbuilding so far.

I have one, and only one, gripe with the game: the Vantages can be collected out of order and are not presented to you in chronological order. The order in which you obtain them naturally during the course of the game is not the order in which the story they tell is told. This is a crime.

Vantages give you a holographic view of the old world overlaid against the current world. They're beautiful and sad. There are audio logs that are equally sad along with them. But the real meat of the Vantages is the text that can be read in your inventory. And under no circumstances should they be read out of order. The story told in the Vantages is A-level writing. If I am being honest, the ranking of stories told in Horizon goes like this:

3. The A1 plot about Aloy's quest (the main story)
    2. The story in the Vantages
    1. The A2 plot about how the world came to be

(I call the main plots A1 and A2 because they are inseparably interwoven.)

It's not nearly as epic or fleshed out, but it hit me harder than what was going on in the "modern" world of Aloy's civilization.

So, my suggestion to you is to buy the maps showing where they are, and to collect them in the proper order. Or at the very least, don't read them until you have the entire story collected, then read them.

The fact that that is my biggest gripe with the game is testament to how good HZD is.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh, vantages give you text stuff as well? I thought it was limited to the brief audio blurbs. I'll have to keep a better eye on the (extensive!) list of logs.

So, the eyes on the map show you where the random text files are? If so yay, I don't want to miss any.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Oh shit I didn't realize there was a text component to the vantages. Need to take another look at them.

I found them all out of order, but I don't remember checking for a text component.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I loaded up my Shadow War Bow with purple damage, tear, and handling mods.

Everything dies so fast!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I don't think the Vantages are intended to be read/experienced linearly.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Part of what makes the Vantages so interesting is that you do find them out of order. You end up piecing together his story as he peels back layers of his life and comes to grips with the end of the world. It's the same as the other stories of the old world told in the game, but this time it's deeply personal.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oooooooohhhhh nnnnnnnooooooooo

I loaded this up to play the DLC and the only save I have is a NG+ I was going to play but didn’t.

I’m not even past the proving.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    My experience with the Vantage texts was interest, confusion, and frustration because of the order I read them in. I stopped reading after the third or fourth until I got them all, then read it in order. It was vastly more satisfying for me that way, but YMMV obviously! =)

edited November 2017
    So if you’re almost max level and have spent all your skill points are you just locked out of most of the new skills?

Viskod on
    Max level is raised to 60 for TFW, and there's additional skill points awarded for some of the quests. You can still max out all the new skills and possibly even have points left over.

Nice.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    At 58 I had all of the skills. By the time I beat base HZD I think I was level 48 or so and had all the skills with 10 extra I think.

It is pretty easy to cap on skills in the base game.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I finished the DLC story over the weekend. Really good story extension, I love how it sets up some new stuff for the sequel really nicely. Overall great DLC in my opinion. A new area to explore, more candy to show off their amazing graphics engine and more stuff for the lore.

On the side of graphics, holy crap their snow engine is ridiculous. Now only does snow look amazing falling, it reacts correctly to a lot of things! I killed a Watcher and it slid across the snow after dying and actually left a body trail imprint in the snow as it slid along. I sat there for a good 45 seconds just amazed by that. Guerilla prove again that they are technical warlocks of the highest order.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I finished the DLC story over the weekend. Really good story extension, I love how it sets up some new stuff for the sequel really nicely. Overall great DLC in my opinion. A new area to explore, more candy to show off their amazing graphics engine and more stuff for the lore.

On the side of graphics, holy crap their snow engine is ridiculous. Now only does snow look amazing falling, it reacts correctly to a lot of things! I killed a Watcher and it slid across the snow after dying and actually left a body trail imprint in the snow as it slid along. I sat there for a good 45 seconds just amazed by that. Guerilla prove again that they are technical warlocks of the highest order.

I found the way Aloy ran through the deep snow very amusing.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So happy the tripcaster trick I learned still works. I mean, not for the fire guys, but that new frost thing got taken out pretty easy. I've found that I've had to relearn stealth, even with the armor. You cannot go toe to toe with the new machines, they just wreck your shit.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I don't know about that. I went toe to toe with everything, because that's how I play HZD...but yeah, you definitely have to be on the defensive a lot and use the tripcaster to setup kill funnels and to quickly pop status effects. The play style difference it forced on me was using status effect arrows a lot more. I couldn't just rely on brute forcing my way through everything with fire and heavy arrows from the main bow.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    The new weapons are tailor made for the new enemies, but they burn through resources incredibly quickly.

Ropecaster + icethrower + triple stack arrows and everything went down pretty quickly

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Maybe it's all in my head ... but I was sure I recognized the voice...

The Frozen Wilds :
    Chatting at the Frozen Wilds' Hunting Grounds.

First time I got All The Feels™ from something unrelated to any story elements.

Commodore75 on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I went toe to toe with everything, because that's how I play HZD...but yeah, you definitely have to be on the defensive a lot and use the tripcaster to setup kill funnels and to quickly pop status effects. The play style difference it forced on me was using status effect arrows a lot more. I couldn't just rely on brute forcing my way through everything with fire and heavy arrows from the main bow.

The fire bears got me tons of times until I realized that they do not stop charging until you break their line of attack.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I haven't found a cast list yet, but did anyone else think Brenagan, or whatever that fellow's name is, was Four from Dark Matter? His voice was super familiar.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, this game's real pretty.

jx050a0gahl1.jpg

emdgs8hqewbr.jpg

f8t2viffv891.jpg

I'll be taking more of these, though I'm disappointed you can't manipulate the time of day in the dlc zone.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I'll be taking more of these, though I'm disappointed you can't manipulate the time of day in the dlc zone.

You can. I’ve done it, scrolling the time back and forth for the perfect shot of the sun coming up over the valley.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

You can. I’ve done it, scrolling the time back and forth for the perfect shot of the sun coming up over the valley.

Every time I’ve pulled it up it says time manipulation is not available. Maybe I’m just in certain areas where it doesn’t function or something.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I will say that chasing collectibles and levelling outside the main story never made me feel overlevelled for the main story missions, but sometimes I found the side quests comically easy. I remember one where I had to bring some bandit to justice, and after I stealthed through her entire camp committing the mortal sin of murder again and again, I had to interact with her for the quest to proceed.
    She was all “Help me! Get her! Get the Nora!”
    And I was all “I ...have some bad news.”

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about not using shield armor anymore. It really trivializes the gameplay.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I rarely used it because it looks worse than most of the other armor, and is more boring looking than the not great looking armors so even there it has less character.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I keep coming back to the shield armour because it looks the best by far of all the armours. Beautiful mix of Nora style and Old Ones tech.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've been switching around; I like how the shield armor looks, but it gets old after a while, so I'll switch into Chieftain armor or Blazon for certain bots.

Maybe I would have liked the look if they didn't tease you from the start of that quest with the freaking amazing looking power armor. Once you get it and it's just some plastic plates tied onto the normal clothing it's a huge letdown.

I thought the shield armor design fit Aloy really well. She modified the outfit style she's been wearing her whole life to integrate some new gear. It fits her character better than the Banuk outfits with the wild headdresses.

It's plain, but Aloy has spent her life living as an outcast scraping by. Plain and effective suits her just fine.

Yeah

But like, what if...

Aloy, in power armor.

I'll admit it would be pretty great to roll up to Lansra riding a robot and wearing power armor and see her expression

come at me matriarch

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    screw power armor, I just want to ride a Thunderjaw around

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    (playing this for the first time)

"Yes, I now have the ability to make the machines fight for me!" *converts Grazer* "Go forth, my minion!"

*The grazer just stands there blankly before getting headbutted to death by three other Grazers*

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I just found out what Project Zero Dawn is

Whaaaaaat OKAY BEELINE TO NEXT MAIN MISSION

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I just found out what Project Zero Dawn is

Whaaaaaat OKAY BEELINE TO NEXT MAIN MISSION
    Game: "Oh, you've played Fallout and you think you know what happened here? That's adorable."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I loved how the rooms leading up to the big reveal were all audio logs of scientists theorizing and debunking potential ideas for what Zero Dawn could be. It was a nice little nod to the player and what they're doing at that moment.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm still using my force-field armor, and it's keeping up with all the new challenges just as well as it always has. Aloy does complain about the cold a lot, I don't know if that's generic banter, of a kind of easter egg about not wearing some of the 'cold weather' armor options.

I used to wear the Shadow Carja armor maxed out for Stealth with mods. It gave Aloy like a masquerade mask.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
This discussion has been closed.