As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It's not so much that i don't think XC1 was anime as hell. It's more that XC2 seems to be doubling down on the parts of XC1's (anime as hell) design that I didn't like.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Late input, but the Switch has been a bit of a miss as a commuter handheld for me. It's splendid for more stable, longer travel like airplanes or long train rides, but it's too large and fiddly to have with me on the subway so far. You'll take up extra wingspan holding it and playing it, and it's a challenge to get it in and out of the protective case when carrying a briefcase, unlike the 3ds which could just fit in a pocket.

I'd never play this in a ground vehicle for sure. Planes are more reasonable since it's less bumpy.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Whenever I say the words "anime as hell" in my head I imagine that Samuel L Jackson is saying it.

"YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE, AND THEY ANIME AS HAAAAAAEEEEELL"

Enlong wrote: »
    Xenoblade 1 had it as an option early on, before making it mandatory with every damn outfit Sharla gets several hours in. The other two being opt-out still.

Xenoblade X had it opt-out with armour glamour.

Xenoblade 2 has it inescapable from hour one.

Sharla's default outfit in XC1 has a boob window and short shorts. Unless you're referring to the fact that you don't get her in your party right away.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Now that Hulu's on the Switch it's become apparent just how ideal this system is for watching video. It's multiple different viewing configurations makes it the most robust device in my arsenal for streaming movies and TV. The size of the screen is perfect for mobile viewing. The picture quality is great and the sound is loud and clear coming from the internal speakers. Once Netflix comes out this thing is going to be the perfect multimedia device.

edit: Saturday I watched Arrival, Sunday I watched Godzilla Final Wars (rediculous movie), and yesterday I watched Spectre. Any suggestions for tonights viewing? I was thinking of starting up Iron-Blood Orphans and/or some Cowboy Bebop episodes for old times sake but I'm open to ideas.

If it's just about something to watch for the novelty of being on the Switch, animation seems like it would be cool on that nice screen. Maybe something CG.

I hope it gets Crunchyroll, I'm not really an anime person but I like that it's totally free and I've been meaning to watch the Phoenix Wright anime.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    YRMV but there are reports of people finding joycon sets in clearance at Target:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7cq6lo/check_your_local_target_for_clearenced_joycons/

Might be worth checking out, $40 for a set of joycon is a damn good deal.

edit: also here's a shot of that Skyrim protector case in-hand (taken from reddit). It actually looks pretty sharp:

6alklbbomuxz.jpg

The stand is also included according to OP.

editedit: Finally, here's some first impressions on OJO, the first dock/projector for the Nintendo Switch:

https://youtu.be/dYwB1gYUbeU

Basically the gist is it's a great idea that falls short, the resolution and lumens are too low to get any kind of high-end performance on it. It'd be interesting to see what an OJO HD could do, although I suspect it would be prohibitively expensive. This one here is $360 and only outputs 480p and 200 lumens.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Woah that Skyrim protector looks really great.

• Options
    For some reason it's weird to me now thinking that the Switch even supports 480p. I know there's no reason it couldn't or shouldn't...just doesn't strike me as something necessary in 99% of use cases these days.

I assume it just shrinks down the 720p+ image it's internally rendering, so there's no FPS improvement or anything? I wonder how readable UIs are.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Whenever I say the words "anime as hell" in my head I imagine that Samuel L Jackson is saying it.

"YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE, AND THEY ANIME AS HAAAAAAEEEEELL"

Xenoblade 1 had it as an option early on, before making it mandatory with every damn outfit Sharla gets several hours in. The other two being opt-out still.

Xenoblade X had it opt-out with armour glamour.

Xenoblade 2 has it inescapable from hour one.

Sharla's default outfit in XC1 has a boob window and short shorts. Unless you're referring to the fact that you don't get her in your party right away.

That's still a character that you can choose to use or not use with ease. Which was then improved upon in the next game. And now has taken such a large step back it's even worse then the first game. That's what makes it noteworthy.

The games are always anime as hell. The thing people tend to talk about this time is the particular style of anime they decided to go with. It's a big visual change that many people don't particularly like.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Setting aside clothing choices, I really like the new character art style. It reminds me of classic PS2 JRPGs and is better than the soulless doll look from X and I think better than Chronicles too, which IMO had too low res textures for faces so eyes were all blurry and looked pasted on.

The look reminds me of Tales games or Mega Man Legends. Or Fire Emblem. I like how it's stylized.

And the main character's clothes don't even bug me, they're a little goofy but that's part of the charm. Again they make me think of Mega Man, with the blue bulbous look.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Setting aside clothing choices, I really like the new character art style. It reminds me of classic PS2 JRPGs and is better than the soulless doll look from X and I think better than Chronicles too, which IMO had too low res textures for faces so eyes were all blurry and looked pasted on.

The look reminds me of Tales games or Mega Man Legends. Or Fire Emblem. I like how it's stylized.

And the main character's clothes don't even bug me, they're a little goofy but that's part of the charm. Again they make me think of Mega Man, with the blue bulbous look.

That is exactly what I've been saying but saying it as a negative not a positive haha.

I like Eye-patch dude though so I'll just play with him as my MC and Rex will be the dweeby fashion-fail side-kick.

He just looks like a bobble headed child. But he's apparently not a little a kid? I can't even tell if him being a little kid is better or worse at this point. I don't want to play a little a kid but him just looking like a child if he's not isn't great either.

• Options
    I guess I forgot that Sharla's first outfit is an example. It got overshadowed in my mind by her later armour sets, I suppose.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Help me, Switch thread, to not be such a colossal dummy. I have a Switch, 2 joycons (so 1 complete controller), 4 kids, and a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I understand that right now I can only have 2 play at the same time. So, questions:

1. When I have 2 kids playing I have to slide the thingies on the joycon that make them usable as individual controllers. That's cool - it lets 2 people race. After we're done playing, how do I convince the Switch to go back to the standard config where 2 joycons make 1 whole controller?
    2. Just two days ago, for the first time, I hooked up the dock (previous to this I'd been playing single player only in portable mode) and put the Switch in there. How do I charge the joycons while the Switch is docked?
    3. Is the best way to get 4 players racing at the same time to just buy another set of joycons?

Also, I skipped the WiiU. Have there been any rumblings of Super Mario 3D World getting up-ported like Mario Kart 8 did? I think my kids would like that one, too, and I know I would. Thanks!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    jclast wrote: »
    Help me, Switch thread, to not be such a colossal dummy. I have a Switch, 2 joycons (so 1 complete controller), 4 kids, and a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I understand that right now I can only have 2 play at the same time. So, questions:

1. When I have 2 kids playing I have to slide the thingies on the joycon that make them usable as individual controllers. That's cool - it lets 2 people race. After we're done playing, how do I convince the Switch to go back to the standard config where 2 joycons make 1 whole controller?
    2. Just two days ago, for the first time, I hooked up the dock (previous to this I'd been playing single player only in portable mode) and put the Switch in there. How do I charge the joycons while the Switch is docked?
    3. Is the best way to get 4 players racing at the same time to just buy another set of joycons?

Also, I skipped the WiiU. Have there been any rumblings of Super Mario 3D World getting up-ported like Mario Kart 8 did? I think my kids would like that one, too, and I know I would. Thanks!

1. Go to controller settings, then to change grip order, then hold L and R on the joycon until they appear on the screen (as in hold the big L button on the left joycon, the big R button on the right joycon).

2. While the switch is docked with joycon attached the joycon will charge automatically.

3. Yes.

4. No.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It's not so much that i don't think XC1 was anime as hell. It's more that XC2 seems to be doubling down on the parts of XC1's (anime as hell) design that I didn't like.

It would be funny if there was a "Fan Service" toggle.

You turn it off and everyone suddenly has more clothes.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

It would be funny if there was a "Fan Service" toggle.

You turn it off and everyone suddenly has more clothes.

As long as they don't make it a slider.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Supposedly Nintendo and Illumination (the Despicable Me guys) are close to agreeing on producing a Super Mario movie.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Supposedly Nintendo and Illumination (the Despicable Me guys) are close to agreeing on producing a Super Mario movie.

Could be good, could be terrible. Though I'd rather have seen the folks behind Wreck It Ralph handling it. At least we are getting a sequel to that.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    eelektrik wrote: »

Could be good, could be terrible. Though I'd rather have seen the folks behind Wreck It Ralph handling it. At least we are getting a sequel to that.

Definitely, though it's probably too much to hope for to have Disney hop on another corporation's IP.

And yeah, Illumination's output tends to average out to decent to good, which is at least better than your average Dreamworks fart.

• Options

Charles Martinet can be pretty insufferable as Mario for an extended period of time, but that's without a script and with vague instructions to be bland and inoffensive.

If Nintendo follows their usual MO they might make him have a sidekick that does all the talking like in every other story-heavy Mario game. But I don't know if that would work for a movie.

I can't picture Mario having a believable emotional moment of any sort.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Sorry to go back a page, but it was mentioned that Gamestop had a game rental sub service. Well, that just got frozen for some reason. Just thought it was relevant to post here in light of the discussion. I'll delete if too off topic!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

My kids would love this.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Charles Martinet can be pretty insufferable as Mario for an extended period of time, but that's without a script and with vague instructions to be bland and inoffensive.

If Nintendo follows their usual MO they might make him have a sidekick that does all the talking like in every other story-heavy Mario game. But I don't know if that would work for a movie.

I can't picture Mario having a believable emotional moment of any sort.

I had to laugh about Charles, I spoke to him as Mario at a CES in Chicago, 1992 I think. He was live voicing Mario on a screen, similar to here but it was just Mario's head. Man couldn't ad lib to save his life, he had a few 'canned' jokes that weren't too bad but if you talked to him for more than a minute it got realllly awkward. This clip is MILES better than what he was doing back then so that's something at least.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

My kids would love this.

Your kids have good taste. I would love a movie like this.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I love Despicable Me and Minions! Great team-up IF they really are doing this. They make full on comedy and that imo suits Mario the best.

I have a slight problem in that I don't want to play with my Switch. I am saving all the SP games for next summer, doing my practical training in the other country and I'll take my Switch with me. But I want to play M+B, finish BotW, buy heaps of indies (Golf Story etc.)...

Luckily I got FIFA, been playing it a lot. I mainly play Squad Building Challenges, FUT is for me like a trading card game and I only play matches to earn money. I really want that Hradecky TOTW but on the other hand he'll have more of them during the season. And I don't have money for him, and I am not good with SBCs...

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I just finished Mario Odyssey and have a bit of bus travel coming up this weekend.

I really wish Battlechef Brigade was coming out a few days earlier.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm really, really tired of Charles Martinet - Sporky nailed it. All of the whoops and sound effects are great - I don't find Mario's jumping sounds or anything else to be grating at all in Odyssey - but when Martinet starts speaking in sentences, like at a convention, it's just awful. I feel like he can't even stay consistent with the sound of the voice.

I don't imagine a Mario movie would feature Mario delivering long monologues, but... Yeah, I would hope they'd adopt the Mario & Luigi RPG style and rely more heavily on sound effects and emotive visual cues than straight-up dialogue.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    It would probably be better to recast Mario, but I don't know if Nintendo will go for that.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Bethesda tries to tell me Charles Martinet also voices Paarthurnax in Skyrim.

I don't think I believe them. I think they just put his name in the credits for a joke.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Have Mario sound like the live action one from the "Super Show".

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Have Mario sound like the live action one from the "Super Show".

Soundalike maybe, but at this point both live action Mario actors are dead.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Make a Luigi movie

• Options
    Just put Mario, Sonic, Crash, Master Chief, Bubsy, Gex, Mega Man, Bomberman, Vectorman, Boogerman, Earthworm Jim, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Simon Belmont, Ryu and Ken, and Doom Guy in the Wreck-It Ralph sequel and call it a day.

(But seriously, just put Mario, Sonic and Crash in there. It's already gonna be an insane cameo vehicle.)

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Make a Luigi movie

They already did this. It's called John Wick.

• Options
    Nothing against Martinet himself, it's obvious he takes his job seriously and is gratified to be one of the most recognizable icons worldwide. Even in interview settings he's joyful and playful about it, embracing the character. I think he sees himself as a children's entertainer, which is not really wrong...you're just not going to hear anything from him that you wouldn't hear from a Barney or a Yo Gabba Gabba. He knows kids might be listening.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Make a Luigi movie

They already did this. It's called John Wick.

I just nearly spit coffee all over the screen. Thank you for that. :)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    mhEaVDf.jpg

It's time to play bad cop, bad cop.

Also bought Rocket League but I suck ass at it. If anyone else sucks ass like I do and wants to play let me know.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bethesda tries to tell me Charles Martinet also voices Paarthurnax in Skyrim.

I don't think I believe them. I think they just put his name in the credits for a joke.

Sounds to me sort of like Mario’s Darth Vader impression:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9ihWsOcbS_E

I bet that under some actual direction, Martinet could pull it off, though. At the very least, he deserves a fair shot to show whether he can or can't before they start looking for someone else.

(And if not, I say give him a stinger where Mario is watching the movie and we hear his voice instead of whoever plays it throughout.)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    There is a 160% chance that this Mario movie will kick Martinet to the curb and get some random celebrity for the voice.

My guess is that they go with Seth Rogen

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I feel like having a Mario with actual extended, spoken lines would be a mistake. I think that the only things Mario should ever say are "It's-a me!" and "Here we gooo!". Silent protagonist, otherwise.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I feel like having a Mario with actual extended, spoken lines would be a mistake. I think that the only things Mario should ever say are "It's-a me!" and "Here we gooo!". Silent protagonist, otherwise.

spoilers I guess
    I think at one point in the new game he say's "Peach!" and even that seemed really weird.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
This discussion has been closed.