As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Philly Magical Mystery Tour 2017

punziepunzie Cookie PimpRegistered User regular
edited November 2017 in PAX Unplugged
The first Magical Mystery Tour of Philadelphia!
Twitter: @PAX_MMT

Who: You! And me. And other PAX peeps. AKA your future friends. (and our questionable guide, Gmaps)
What: Visit interesting places in and around Philly.
Where: Schedule posted below.
When: The day before PAX: and Thurs 11/16. Traditionally runs from 9am to 5pm but you don't have to do the whole thing. (Follow the twitter feed for live updates of where we are.)
Why: See something of the city other than the convention center and your hotel. And do it with cool people!
How: Philly's public transit.

Schedule
Thursday:
10am Eastern State Penitentiary ($14, buy tickets ahead)
12pm food?
1pm Franklin Institute ($20)
3:30p Intergalactic Escape Room at the Franklin Institute ($28, buy tickets ahead)

Potential stops:
I haven't done this before so I need your help to find places to go!

Academy of Natural Sciences

African American Museum

Barnes Museum

Battleship NJ

Camden Aquarium

Constitution Museum

Eastern State Penitentiary
What: a famous prison, now uninhabited and falling apart
Price: $14 online, $16 at the door
Hours: 10a-5p

Franklin Institute
What: a science museum
Price: $20
Hours: 9:30-5

Horticultural Center

Independence Hall

Institute of Contemporary Art

Japanese Garden

Jewish History Museum

Liberty Bell

Magic Gardens

Museum of the American Revolution

Mutter Museum
What: museum of medical history
Price: $18

National Constitution Center

Penn Museum

Philadelphia Museum of Art
What: an art museum...
Price: $20

Philadelphia Zoo

Please Touch Museum

Reading Terminal Market
What: a public market with produce, seafood, flowers, restaurants, etc.
Price: free to walk
Hours: 8a-6p
Additional Notes: tours are available, but only on Wednesdays and Saturdays

Rodin Museum
What: a branch of the art museum, focusing on the sculptures of Rodin
Price: pay what you want (suggested $10 for adults)

HI3789R.png
punzie on

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Here's what I know of Philly: the Liberty Bell and the Rocky Steps. (I have been informed there's a museum at the top of those steps and I should go in there.) So, yeah, I really need some advice on where we should go.

Also, there's a good chance I won't do Wednesday this time. So we gotta cram all our touring into 1 action-packed day.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Yes please. I am so down. I also know nothing of Philly.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    Samurai_KittySamurai_Kitty PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Constitution Museum
    Franklin Institute
    Independence Hall

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    If you cross the river there's the Camden Aquarium and Battleship NJ.

Fairmount Park has around it a Japanese garden, please touch museum, Philly zoo, Mann center (not sure what would be playing if anything), and horticultural center.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rsr70rsr70 Registered User new member
    Hi all - I'm a local here in Philly. (We live a little over a mile from the convention center.) I'll be happy to answer questions/offer advice about visiting.

First, Reading Terminal Market is highly recommended, and it's right next to the convention center, so it's very easy to visit on convention days. It's got great food options (if maybe a little overwhelming at first), including many regional favorites. And some good souvenir shopping as well.

And more generally, downtown (known as 'Center City' to the locals) is very walkable, public transit options are good, tons of restaurants, etc, as well as many historic sites, museums and so on.

Finally, speaking of museums, our new Museum of the American Revolution just opened back in the spring, and I've heard great things about it.

It's great to see people exited about visiting, and I hope you all have a great time!

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    The historic area is a good time, declaration, liberty bell, independence hall, jewish history museum, etc is all in one location a few blocks, easy walk from the convention. Most of it is it free so dont feel pressured to do the double decker buses

Reading terminal market is a food mecca, but is normally packed with tourists, when big conventions are in town it can be a nightmare, but philly is full of food so fear not.

The parkway which is a long walk, short uber, has the rocky steps, art museum, franklin institute (another museum with a big imax and traveling exhibits (right now it's terracotta warriors)

there's a big mural project in philly so there's lots of those to check out. They range from historical figures to the obey guy did one and the newest one is a raccoon eating a soft pretzel.

The zoo and aquarium are fun, but it's out of the the way. You can uber there.

It's hard to go anywhere in center city that doesn't have historical significance.

• Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mark BMark B Registered User regular
    I highly recommend an old-timey ice cream parlor, The Franklin Fountain:
    http://www.franklinfountain.com/
    and right next door, and old-timey candy shop, Shane's:
    http://shanecandies.com/confections/

The Franklin Fountain has an espresso Sundae that's amazing and Shane's has chocolate covered bacon and excellent hot chocolate.

Also there is some spectacular sites at the University of Pennsylvania, just west of Center City. In particular, you can see ENIAC at the school of engineering, and the larges Sphinx in North America at the Penn Museum, and archeology museum built at the turn of the century that looks like it could be a set for an Arkham Horror film.

• Options
    kingcole35kingcole35 Registered User new member
    Hey folks! I'm Philly born and bred and still local, I'd be more than happy to wander around with you all pointing out places of interest. I actually used to be a guide in the historic district. Now I just give walkabouts to visiting friends and family for fun! I like to show people the little not so touristy gems that most folks overlook, while still hitting up the big draws. Philly has a lot of little things that if you don't know where to look you'll end up missing them. I'm also a big foodie... I'm the size of a bear so it's pretty evident. So if you like food I'm your guy :)

• Options
    erraticninjaerraticninja Registered User regular
    I am definitely interested. I won't be getting there until around noon on Thursday but I am definitely into joining in after I arrive.

kGEF4EH.png
  • Options
    EpicSkeletonEpicSkeleton Registered User new member
    I am interested. I will be there Thursday and was already planning to go site seeing that day. Going with a PAX-group sounds like a good idea to me!

• Options
    calvinbjddcalvinbjdd Registered User regular
    Philly local here!

I will be busy before the convention but I would be remiss if I didn't let folks know about two things: The Magic Garden (or the PMA if you're into more traditional art - it is really stellar) and the AMAZING local theatre Philly has to offer (think more Chicago than New York - it's intimate and timely, wonderfully acted and creatively staged). A quick glance around the web shows a bunch of good things slated by some really great companies and smaller, riskier companies will announce soon. Check out links below:

https://www.phillymagicgardens.org
    https://www.philamuseum.org
    http://www.theatrephiladelphia.org/whats-on-stage/the-gap
    http://www.theatrephiladelphia.org/whats-on-stage/blood-wedding
    http://www.theatrephiladelphia.org/whats-on-stage/by-the-bog-of-cats
    http://www.theatrephiladelphia.org/whats-on-stage/broken-stones

• Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I'll be around, looking forward to touring new mysterious places!

• Options
    mjandersenmjandersen Registered User new member
    edited October 2017
    Something to keep in mind given the Unplugged crowd: the Franklin Institute currently has two escape rooms running in the museum: Intergalactic Escape, and Island Escape so you can combine a museum visit with some pre-PAX gaming.

https://www.fi.edu/escaperooms

For last-minute plans, Uwishunu and Geekadelphia are great resources for special events in the city.

mjandersen on
  • Options
    dfc123dfc123 Registered User regular
    If you want Art and do't want to spend all day at one place, I'd recommend the Barnes Museum over the PMoA. There's also the Rodin Museum near the Barnes. both are about midway between City Hall and the Art Museum on theParkway

• Options
    I've finally started looking into some of these places.
    The first thing to note is that I have officially ditched Wednesday. For the foreseeable future, all MMT's for all PAXen will be just 1 day.
    Next, arrrghgghhh so many things I want to check out! I really want to visit the prison. And we have to see the Liberty Bell, right? I think that's REQUIRED. And oh an escape room! And we have to eat many delicious things. And we didn't even stop by to see Rocky yet or look at Einstein's brain in the Mutter Museum? And I've only looked at a fraction of the things you've all suggested. This is gonna be tough...

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    TheOperationsExpertTheOperationsExpert Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    punzie wrote: »
    I've finally started looking into some of these places.
    The first thing to note is that I have officially ditched Wednesday. For the foreseeable future, all MMT's for all PAXen will be just 1 day.
    Next, arrrghgghhh so many things I want to check out! I really want to visit the prison. And we have to see the Liberty Bell, right? I think that's REQUIRED. And oh an escape room! And we have to eat many delicious things. And we didn't even stop by to see Rocky yet or look at Einstein's brain in the Mutter Museum? And I've only looked at a fraction of the things you've all suggested. This is gonna be tough...

If I were you, I'd try to stick to areas within Center City, as they'll be easier to walk to/catch a SEPTA bus to. Magic Gardens is within walking distance (probably 20 minutes), Independence Hall is even closer (and a pretty area in general...) and Reading Terminal Market is RIGHT next to the convention center. You HAVE to go there, if only to pick up lunch during that weekend. Do yourself a favor and wait in the long line for Beiler's Donuts. I'm a big fan of Beck's Cajun Cafe, particularly the train wreck (a sort of cajun take on a cheesteak). Chinatown is also nearby if you somehow tire of RTM for food.

Franklin Insitute is a bit further (30 minute walk?) but is pretty cool. The area near there is pretty in general, and worth walking by.

I'm going to say that if you go to the Philly Museum of Art, you can also check out the Perelman Building, and I BELIEVE the Rodin Museum as well. I love the outside of the Rodin Museum, but I do think PMA is the place to be (and the place to see the steps). It's a fantastic museum, and they're open until 8:45 on Fridays (but I don't think Rodin is) and they typically some music performances between 5 and 8:45.

The Philly orchestra does $10 rush tickets (but I'm not sure how consistently available they are) if you wanted to see their gorgeous performance hall (Verizon Hall) and a great concert in the evening. Probably about a 20 minute walk from the convention center. Not a must-see, but worth it if you need something to do when the museums are closed.

Edit: I'd probably skip the Japanese Gardens, as they're a bit awkward to get to. And if you go to Penn's Landing (which you can loop to if you go to Independence Hall first and Magic Gardens second), you can see the Camden waterfront, where the battleship is. I would probably do that instead of going across on PATCO to see it.

TheOperationsExpert on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    Not sure what my schedule is for Thursday, but I will be lurking this thread in case it works out.

• Options
    erraticninjaerraticninja Registered User regular
    I will definitely be in for part of the day Thursday. this will be super fun.

kGEF4EH.png
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    I lived in Philly for a couple of years so here are my hot takes on the stuff I did there in the order I'd recommend them to visitors.

Franklin Institute - Super cool, recommend.
    Magic Gardens - Pretty and artsy
    Mutter Museum - If you're into medical things go here, otherwise it's kind of gross
    Eastern State Penitentiary - Very cool for Halloween, pretty cool otherwise.
    Philadelphia Zoo - Yay animals!
    Penn's Landing - Waterfront area there's usually stuff happening here but maybe not on a Thurs in Nov.
    Reading Terminal Market - This is totally worth visiting but also super close to PAX, so it would be easy to check out basically anytime. Think Fanueil Hall in Boston.
    Camden Aquarium - It's not super easy to get there via public transport but aquariums are neat.
    Liberty Bell - Skip, it's boring and there's usually a long line.

Bonus:
    Please Touch Museum - I wanted to go here but it's more for children and none of my friends visited with children who were old enough.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    Randomfool wrote: »
    I lived in Philly for a couple of years so here are my hot takes on the stuff I did there in the order I'd recommend them to visitors.

Franklin Institute - Super cool, recommend.
    Magic Gardens - Pretty and artsy
    Mutter Museum - If you're into medical things go here, otherwise it's kind of gross
    Eastern State Penitentiary - Very cool for Halloween, pretty cool otherwise.
    Philadelphia Zoo - Yay animals!
    Penn's Landing - Waterfront area there's usually stuff happening here but maybe not on a Thurs in Nov.
    Reading Terminal Market - This is totally worth visiting but also super close to PAX, so it would be easy to check out basically anytime. Think Fanueil Hall in Boston.
    Camden Aquarium - It's not super easy to get there via public transport but aquariums are neat.
    Liberty Bell - Skip, it's boring and there's usually a long line.

Bonus:
    Please Touch Museum - I wanted to go here but it's more for children and none of my friends visited with children who were old enough.

While I'd skip the liberty bell itself, the area around Independence Hall is pretty, and it's on the way to Magic Gardens from the convention center, so I'd say it's worth walking around the area. Plus you get to see some of Old City, and it's a nice area to walk by, especially if you're not from the northeast (and not used to colonial stuff).

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Sweet I'm down for this, might be a little late as I don't land till around 9am. Hoping to catch up w all you fine folks in a new city to check out

• Options
    Sadly, I just don't have time to go through all these sites. So I'm making a quickie schedule just from what I've already looked at:

10am Eastern State Penitentiary ($14)
    12pm food?
    3:30pm Intergalactic Escape Room at the Franklin Institute ($28)

The escape room is totally separate from the museum admittance and you have to buy the tickets in advance. The link is in the first post. The Penitentiary is also $2 cheaper if you buy in advance so that link is also in the first post.
    I'm not sold on the Franklin Museum in general though. I want to do it, but it looks like an expensive day. Maybe we'll stop by the Rodin Museum and check out some sculptures instead?
    And I don't know what we're doing for lunch. Hopefully there will be something close to one of those places. I'll figure that out later.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    dfc123dfc123 Registered User regular
    VISITPHILLY.COM has great lists of must see, must eat, must do. Plus links to most of it.

• Options
    punzie wrote: »
    Sadly, I just don't have time to go through all these sites. So I'm making a quickie schedule just from what I've already looked at:

10am Eastern State Penitentiary ($14)
    12pm food?
    3:30pm Intergalactic Escape Room at the Franklin Institute ($28)

The escape room is totally separate from the museum admittance and you have to buy the tickets in advance. The link is in the first post. The Penitentiary is also $2 cheaper if you buy in advance so that link is also in the first post.
    I'm not sold on the Franklin Museum in general though. I want to do it, but it looks like an expensive day. Maybe we'll stop by the Rodin Museum and check out some sculptures instead?
    And I don't know what we're doing for lunch. Hopefully there will be something close to one of those places. I'll figure that out later.

I believe that if you get admission to the Philly Art Museum or the Rodin, you can use the little clip they give you after paying admission to get into both. So I'd say the PMA gives you the most bang for your buck.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    ARGH I wanna do the ESP trip so baaaaaadly but I won't be in town until late on Thursday T_T

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    There's still 12 spots for the 3:30 escape room, do we have takers for that? If not I'll happily spend more time looking round the museum.

• Options
    EpicSkeletonEpicSkeleton Registered User new member
    Bought my tickets for Eastern State and the Escape Room. Looking forward to it!

• Options
    I believe that if you get admission to the Philly Art Museum or the Rodin, you can use the little clip they give you after paying admission to get into both. So I'd say the PMA gives you the most bang for your buck.

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, then you're better off paying the suggested $10 at the Rodin and using the chip to get into the pma...

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Rodin appears to be pay what you wish. Art museum admissions is 2 days access to the main building plus sculpture garden, perelman art deco, Rodin and historic houses.

• Options
    I forgot to buy my ticket to the escape room. I'll do it from hotel tonight if I'm still able.
    Let's meet in front of the convention center entrance in arch and 12th at 9:30 and find out way to jail together. I'm reading about the public transit now.

HI3789R.png