As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    We had another long run of Kingdom Death last night with a new player who most likely will not be joining again also. RRR

Anyway, Apollo got his arms torn off and died instantly, Bathsheba was disemboweled and held her innards inside with an axe for the rest of the fight, Bianca got a warped pelvis AGAIN (drama queen) we decided on Graves and (barf) Raising our Children with Love, managed to produce 2 bebbehs and have made two Bone Axes, a Bone Dagger, three Rawhide Vests, a Rawhide Headband and the King's Spear.

Also Cassie fell in a tarpit and lost her Cloth so she had to fight the White Lion with her vajayjay out and proud.

This is an odd game.

On the one occasion I managed to get a settlement rolling I had my entire group nearly die of frostbite on my way to fight the Antelope, which finished off the people who hadn't frozen to death.

We got hit with a Green Mist that made everyone we've had out so far have to miss the next fight. So we have to send out all the babies.

GONNA BE A HELL OF A HUNT

Auntie Bianca will be there with the kiddos. It'll be fine! Her warped pelvis only gives her -1 Luck. I don't even know what Luck does!

It manages your crit rate. She can't do any critical hits with -1 Luck.

She's a liability! Also how the hell does your pelvis manage your luck??

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    We had another long run of Kingdom Death last night with a new player who most likely will not be joining again also. RRR

Anyway, Apollo got his arms torn off and died instantly, Bathsheba was disemboweled and held her innards inside with an axe for the rest of the fight, Bianca got a warped pelvis AGAIN (drama queen) we decided on Graves and (barf) Raising our Children with Love, managed to produce 2 bebbehs and have made two Bone Axes, a Bone Dagger, three Rawhide Vests, a Rawhide Headband and the King's Spear.

Also Cassie fell in a tarpit and lost her Cloth so she had to fight the White Lion with her vajayjay out and proud.

This is an odd game.

On the one occasion I managed to get a settlement rolling I had my entire group nearly die of frostbite on my way to fight the Antelope, which finished off the people who hadn't frozen to death.

We got hit with a Green Mist that made everyone we've had out so far have to miss the next fight. So we have to send out all the babies.

Auntie Bianca will be there with the kiddos. It'll be fine! Her warped pelvis only gives her -1 Luck. I don't even know what Luck does!

Do I really need to draw you a roadmap on this one? I thought Aerosmith had given the definitive answer on this question decades ago.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

This is an odd game.

The hips don't lie.

The entire *waves hands in a generalized circle* groinal area... is considered, uh, seminal when determining if someone gets lucky.

People are up all night to get lucky, you know. But not Bianca. No point, really.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    When one gets lucky, the pelvis is involved. Therefore, the pelvis affects luck. The logic is sound.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Darric wrote: »
    Holy shit, this Enigma Box on Kickstarter though.

This looks like an absolute disaster of a Kickstarter
    I eagerly await the reviews and anger around a sad box of misprinted cardboard and towers of Hanoi puzzles

Yeah this looks cool but has so many warning signs. First every Kickstarter. Multiple apps. A VR experience. No team member mentioned had board game experience and one has Mensa member as a qualification. Electronic hardware. Lots of stretch goals. There is almost certainly going to be a shitshow.

Edit: oh also if the game doesn't ship they'll refund 85% of your order. I don't think that is actually legal in the UK

Neaden on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    And running out of funding before the big finale because too many people beat the game or overspending on other things.

Does it sound interesting? Very much so. Would I back it? No.

They need to probably team up with some serious escape room puzzle makers, and app developers to make this work. By that point you're probably priced out of the market.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

I eagerly await the reviews and anger around a sad box of misprinted cardboard and towers of Hanoi puzzles

The thing that set of my klaxon was the based on real events.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited November 2017
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    When one gets lucky, the pelvis is involved. Therefore, the pelvis affects luck. The logic is sound.

Yeah, no. When I get lucky there's either Suddenly Chocolate or the head of my enemy in my lap hand[ grasp teeth i can't finish this without also sounding sexual so i will bow out here thank you and good night

Magic Pink on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Yeah, no. When I get lucky there's either Suddenly Chocolate or the head of my enemy in my lap hand[ grasp teeth i can't finish this without also sounding sexual so i will bow out here thank you and good night

Too late.

Heh, heh. You said, "head."

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    i can't finish
    A lot of people have this problem, especially in the modern stressful, anxiety-ridden world; it's nothing to be ashamed of. I find that closing my eyes and taking some deep breaths helps.

Delduwath wrote: »
    i can't finish
    A lot of people have this problem, especially in the modern stressful, anxiety-ridden world; it's nothing to be ashamed of. I find that closing my eyes and taking some deep breaths helps.

HAY

DOOD

I can finish so fast you don't even knowaaaaaaaaait a minute

But seriously. Last night in Kingdom Death, Cassie Callow went to meditate and she totally figured out the art of boinking. She pointed at a random male who survived the last hunt and said, "hey, let's boink."

The male was like, "no thanks, not going to be your science experiment" so she pointed at the other surviving male and was like, "hey let's boink." And that turned out pretty well, though the baby wasn't a wizard baby.

So, like, the first guy who turned down boinking decided that maybe science is actually cool, and he boinked with someone who wasn't Cassie Callow. I guess that was fine, if derivative. Also his baby was not a wizard baby, either, so stop harassing me about that, MOM.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    wow, no wizard babies at all? 0/10

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular

Right?! RIGHT. There's just ... no way they could pull this off to an acceptable level of quality. But I want to believe.

wow, no wizard babies at all? 0/10

wizard babies require incredibly precise boinking

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So... I have no shame.

We decided to roll back our Legacy Season 2 game of Late January after we lost. It literally came down to a card flip.. but.. ugh. We're still feeling like we are getting a grasp on the mechanics and how to cope with them, and we didn't want to add more complications.

And.. uh.. we didn't mark down any permanent changes except for an exposure. Because I forgot a pen.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what pleases me more, the idea of a game that has actual boinking mechanics or you folks just straight up fanfic'ing the shit out of KD.

Campy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what pleases me more, the idea of a game that has actual boinking mechanics or you folks just straight up fanfic'ing the shit out of KD.

Fanfiction has not yet been invented in Chloe Town. I'm sure it is on an innovation card somewhere.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My group actually dropped both halves of a month in pandemic season 2. That never happened to us in season 1. We lost 2 games the whole year.

We rallied and won the first game of April but still, substantially tougher and more interesting than season 1.

Campy wrote: »

Fanfiction has not yet been invented in Chloe Town. I'm sure it is on an innovation card somewhere.

Storytelling Innovation :rotate:

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Enigma Box KS: Uhh, one of the tiers gives you an nfc ring to "unlock information", along with some other puzzles to solve, plus 360 previously unseen scenes via the mobile app. So like, is this already an expansion to an as-yet-unreleased game? Is it additional riddles and stuff to the base game that you would be crazy to not have, but can with an additional $150 so you can have the fuller experience than the plebes who pledged $200? Also, VIP access to their Secret Society? That's a hard thing to put any kind of additional value on. I'm very not sold.

KDM: The more I hear about this game, the more I wish I had a group who I could see wanting to play it regularly. Also a big enough table space to leave everything alone so I didn't have to set it up every time. Also, no cats who would ruin that set up. Also, the game. sigh.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, our group in Pandemic Legacy Season 1 have actually lost both halves of a month before and we only just got into June.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    We finally got to start Pandemic Legacy 1 last Friday and will be playing again this Friday.

It's an odd setup. My friend and his fiancé are in another state than my wife and I. We both purchased versions of the game. Then we each set up a laptop on the table for video chat. First game I handled all the cards and told him what was being drawn. He set up his board to reflect what was happening on ours. Next session he can shuffle/draw all the cards. It's a little clunky but I think it ended up going pretty smoothly.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    From the Enigma Box Kickstarter:
    Graphene key with NFC chip: We are pioneering the use of graphene, named “God's material” due to its incredible abilities and often considered the most powerful material in nature, possessing the greatest electric and thermal conductivity ever known. The key is coated with graphene.

This sounds like the board game equivalent of healing crystals. This whole thing can't be real, can it? It looks like there are actual photos of it though.

also, on the first image for play time, it says 6000+ minutes...

sig.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I kind of love this Kickstarter. It feels like either pure, unabashed enthusiasm, or unrepentant hucksterism, and I cannot even begin to tell which.

I also love that it's literally "Here's a box of all kinds of neat, impractical tchotchkes. Hope you like curios!"

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Has anyone played much of the Pokemon CCG? My 7yo daughter got given a few cards randomly and expressed interest in the game so Daddy is excitedly seeing this as potential step 2 on the Netrunner partner plan. She’s got step 1, UNO, sorted but I was floundering about for a next stage.

It looks fairly simple from these few cards, my distant memory is that it’s pretty simple right? Presumably this is the same game that’s been going for over a decade now? It hasn’t had extra complexity layered on too much over the years has it?

Might be time to scout out some kind of starter pack and see how it goes.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Graphene is actually a legit material in scientific research as a battery and conductor. It's safer for the environment than batteries, too. With some more research and investment, it would be more economic to afford graphene, and takes significantly less time to charge up than conventional batteries. It's primarily being looked into for electric vehicles to keep them on the road longer, requiring less time to stop to recharge.

But that's like, the one thing that doesn't smell like snake oil in that whole pitch. :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Has anyone played much of the Pokemon CCG? My 7yo daughter got given a few cards randomly and expressed interest in the game so Daddy is excitedly seeing this as potential step 2 on the Netrunner partner plan. She’s got step 1, UNO, sorted but I was floundering about for a next stage.

It looks fairly simple from these few cards, my distant memory is that it’s pretty simple right? Presumably this is the same game that’s been going for over a decade now? It hasn’t had extra complexity layered on too much over the years has it?

Back when it launched about 2 decades ago it was an absolute blast. I have no idea what it's like now tho.

KDM: The more I hear about this game, the more I wish I had a group who I could see wanting to play it regularly. Also a big enough table space to leave everything alone so I didn't have to set it up every time. Also, no cats who would ruin that set up. Also, the game. sigh.

It doesn;t take that much tablespace actually unless you want the Showdown board, Hunt board and Settlement board all up at once which is

SNORT

MHEY

SNORT

completely ludicrous.

edited November 2017

I played back when it first released, and recently with the last few sets. The core game hasn't changed at all, but they've added a bunch of things like EX, GX, and Break cards that continue the power creep. My old cards would do maybe 60-80 damage max as the big stage 2 evolved Pokemon. These new cards are doing that at stage 1 and the stage 2 do 120+.

However, coming into it new, it's not bad and has the same positives and negatives of any CCG.

My kids 6,9,10 play, but my 4yo doesn't quite care enough to play properly. She enjoys looking at the cards though.

The biggest positive of Pokemon over other CCG is everything you buy comes with a code that gives you that thing for the online game.

The biggest downside is that even more than magic you can get bad energy draws that you can't recover from if your opponent gets out something strong enough to just keep one-shotting your basic pokemon. The game plays quickly enough though to just start over and play again.

My suggestion would be buying two basic decks and just play them against each other. Would be maybe $25 to try out and see if it clicks or not.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    After a brief bit of searching (holy crap there’s a lot of Pokemon tcg product out there!) I’ve picked us up a ‘Sun and Moon Alolan Raichu and Lycanroc Trainer Kit’ which seems to be the current absolute beginners thing.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    My son loves Pokemon TCG, but it has some issues.
    #1 It is unbelievably simplistic. If you have played any of the board or card games listen in this thread, you will be bored.
    #2 Like all of TCGs, you can pay to win.
    #3 If you manage to build a great deck, you can only play with it in tournaments for 2 years. The tournaments rotate out old sets for new so you have to keep buying cards.
    #4 Buying packs is for suckers. In other TCG games, you can sometimes get useful stuff even in mediocre packs. In Pokemon, there is only 1 good card per pack if you are damned lucky. It is always cheaper to buy singles online.
    #5 If you are sucker and buy packs, you have to buy a whole box of packs. Resellers online weigh packs to find out which have the rare holo cards. I have seen a kid in a Walmart with a scale weighing the packs too.

NNID = Zepp914
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    #1 It is unbelievably simplistic. If you have played any of the board or card games listen in this thread, you will be bored.
    #3 If you manage to build a great deck, you can only play with it in tournaments for 2 years. The tournaments rotate out old sets for new so you have to keep buying cards.
    #4 Buying packs is for suckers. In other TCG games, you can sometimes get useful stuff even in mediocre packs. In Pokemon, there is only 1 good card per pack if you are damned lucky. It is always cheaper to buy singles online.
    #5 If you are sucker and buy packs, you have to buy a whole box of packs. Resellers online weigh packs to find out which have the rare holo cards. I have seen a kid in a Walmart with a scale weighing the packs too.

#3 is pretty common to games of the type.

#5 is there's a special circle in hell for those people.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    We finally got to start Pandemic Legacy 1 last Friday and will be playing again this Friday.

It's an odd setup. My friend and his fiancé are in another state than my wife and I. We both purchased versions of the game. Then we each set up a laptop on the table for video chat. First game I handled all the cards and told him what was being drawn. He set up his board to reflect what was happening on ours. Next session he can shuffle/draw all the cards. It's a little clunky but I think it ended up going pretty smoothly.

Neat! It's a shame that probably won't work with Season 2, though. There appears to be a little bit of randomness in the character cards (too early for me to know for sure), but you could probably figure something out...

Speaking of, my group got our January in tonight.
    Lost the first half to back-to-back epidemics making New York a damned plague nest. Losing all of the cubes on the bottom-dealt card is fucking awful. We were right in it and were going to win on the next turn, but alas it was not to be.

Thought we might lose the second half as well despite throwing up all three supply centers in rapid succession (I was the Laborer and got great draws) depending on how quickly we could assemble three more blue cards and get them to the right place. The player deck could very easily have fucked us over on that one but we got there.

So far we are using our game end upgrades to keep everything at population 3 or more, adding some foundations and infection upgrades along the way. We are SUPER gun-shy about deploying character upgrades, because we don't know when an exposure might take one down. We've had three exposures so far, one resulting in a scar (our Laborer is also a Hoarder).

This game looks like it's going to spiral out of control fairly quickly. It's interesting to see how the designers "steer" you through their narrative, though.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Seriously?! I hadn't heard of the weighing thing before to find foils...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Seriously?! I hadn't heard of the weighing thing before to find foils...

They inadvertently made it easier in the Sun and Moon release. Every 3rd pack was a good one. There are Youtube videos showing how to do it. :(

NNID = Zepp914
    edited November 2017

Thanks for the breakdown. For what I’m looking for right now #1 is an advantage and the others are non issues so this all seems good.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif

Thanks for the breakdown. For what I’m looking for right now #1 is an advantage and the others are non issues so this all seems good.

I actually disagree with 1, even at it's launch the main system was simple but you can very easily mix stuff up with neat cards and make it fun.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    First place in another Yomi tournament, and 3rd in one I organized. My best year by far, as far as tournament performance!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!