As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

mister police. you could have saved her. I gave you all the [MOVIES]

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I've been making some barbarian characters in D&D, so I decided to watch Conan the Barbarian tonight.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    @Moriveth

Jesus man...

Jesus Man isn't around right now. Try in three days?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    @Moriveth

Jesus man...

You don't get to make anymore jokes.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I'll be watching the Justice League for free
    Because I said to my movie-watching group I won't be joining them for JL, and my brother-in-law offered to pay for me since "it wouldn't feel right to watch an superhero ensemble cast movie" without me. Go figure.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think the recommended order is you do Cross Man before Jesus Man so you can use his weapon

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Nail Man, then Jesus Man, then Snake Man

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I've been making some barbarian characters in D&D, so I decided to watch Conan the Barbarian tonight.

Conan the Barbarian gets me all emotional now and it's super weird.

So after my son was born, obviously my wife and I got no sleep. So we took shifts, and I stayed up all night, every night, for a long time.

The first night I could manage watching movies, I did a double feature: Shin Godzilla, and Conan the Barbarian. For some reason I cried a ton during Conan and I get a little weepy just thinking about it.

Sleep deprivation is weird.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So you go from Water Man to Wine Man and...

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    @Moriveth

Jesus man...

hmm...I don't think your post history qualifies you to make this call

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    @Moriveth

Jesus man...

hmm...I don't think your post history qualifies you to make this call

I think his post history well establishes what shouldn't count as jokes

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think my post history can kick your ass

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Were you tricked or something?

See they asked if he wanted to see Justice League and he heard it as "Just, uh, S.league", referring to the singaporean soccer league, and well

I read this in Andy Zaltzman's voice.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    no, my mom wants to see it and I'm not a terrible enough son to ditch her

aka the same reason I saw the lorax in theaters

This almost happened to me with Thor 3

Then she called the night before and said she had to work the next day and we should just do lunch instead the day after

Hopefully she didn't hear my fist pump over the phone

Huh? I'm a little surprised, weren't you a big fan of the GotG movies? Ragnorok is way closer to that than whatever Thor was before. Way more colourful and lighthearted and stuff.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »
    no, my mom wants to see it and I'm not a terrible enough son to ditch her

aka the same reason I saw the lorax in theaters

This almost happened to me with Thor 3

Then she called the night before and said she had to work the next day and we should just do lunch instead the day after

Hopefully she didn't hear my fist pump over the phone

Huh? I'm a little surprised, weren't you a big fan of the GotG movies? Ragnorok is way closer to that than whatever Thor was before. Way more colourful and lighthearted and stuff.

Best not to try to decipher Vow’s preferences

That way lies madness and sorrow

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Just finished watching A Dark Song.

Yeah, I really dug that. It's a super slow burn. It's not perfect, but it's very good. Definitely falls more on the creepy/unsettling side than jump-scare horror (though there were a couple in there that got me, but they never felt cheap).

Well-acted, very pretty, and good music. It reminded me a bit of The Others because of the sound design. Take that style of audio work and make it more unsettling than tense and you're in the right ballpark. Also, unlike something such as The Ninth Gate, I didn't feel like I was cheated in the end. I mean, I love that movie, but the ending isn't its strong part.

Anyways, it's on Netflix in the US. Well worth checking out if you're into occult "horror." (Not sure it's quite a horror movie, but it is in that category. Plus my definition of horror goes against the grain, so...)

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd say A Dark Song is definitely more of an unsettling drama than a horror.

I had mixed feelings about some stuff towards the end, but my gosh it's such a good movie overall.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    @UnbreakableVow is basically the only forumer i trust re: movie opinions

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Were you tricked or something?

See they asked if he wanted to see Justice League and he heard it as "Just, uh, S.league", referring to the singaporean soccer league, and well

I read this in Andy Zaltzman's voice.

I haven't listened to the Bugle in years, and now this is happening to me as well.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I love Lost In Translation and I don't care who knows it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    @UnbreakableVow is basically the only forumer i trust re: movie opinions

I trust nobody

I also see a lot of crap so i should include myself in that

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    The Guardian gives Justice League 2/5.

Aquaman and Wonderwoman are the best parts of the film.

Ben Affleck is pretty rubbish.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/15/justice-league-ben-affleck-dc-comics

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Death of Stalin was really good

Very funny, very dark, very well made. It's the work of a bunch of consummate professionals and every part of it is well done.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Thor 3 was also good pretty much, though not as good. Also Ruffalo did not do a very good job IMO. Shame.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I really feel since the reboot of Conan failed . Then reboot Red Sonya. Give her a decent story and see where it goes

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Hey, guys and guyettes, good news is Blade of the Immortal is playing two blocks from my house. AMA

EDIT: Also, does anybody here actually want to see Justice League? No judgment! I swear! If you do, why? Why? Why would you do this to yourself?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Hey, guys and guyettes, good news is Blade of the Immortal is playing two blocks from my house. AMA

EDIT: Also, does anybody here actually want to see Justice League? No judgment! I swear! If you do, why? Why? Why would you do this to yourself?

T/F is the Assassin's Creed: Origins quest, Blade of the Goddess a riff on the title Blade of the Immortal?

Tamin on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

i am so excited to see justice league

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Justice League reviews are rolling in and basically every single one I've seen has the gist being "it's fine, but not great".

Superman is apparently a lot more like Comics Superman, which is good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I really feel since the reboot of Conan failed . Then reboot Red Sonya. Give her a decent story and see where it goes

If they could manage an origin story where violent sexual assault is left out of her quest for vengeance, I'd be down for that; burning a temple down should be enough, I don't think we need all that other shit to get Sonja motivated.

Now, let's talk about how Gwendoline Christie would make the best Red Sonja in cinematic history: she's an amazing actor, she legit has all the sword-work down already, all the stunts as well, she already has a suit of armor and a sword, she doesn't take shit off anyone, and all she needs to get into the role is a bottle of red hair dye. The only thing from here out that needs to be graven in stone is that Red Sonja doesn't wear a chainmail bikini because she's not a Walking Frank Frazetta Picture, she's a battle-priestess, one that is dedicated to war, combat and strategy, someone who wants to ascend to Valhalla ... not ... you know, Valhalla's Wet T-Shirt Contest or some shit.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Justice League reviews are rolling in and basically every single one I've seen has the gist being "it's fine, but not great".

but Superman died in the last one?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Superman is a Soap Opera character. You can never really count him out.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

If they could manage an origin story where violent sexual assault is left out of her quest for vengeance, I'd be down for that; burning a temple down should be enough, I don't think we need all that other shit to get Sonja motivated.

Now, let's talk about how Gwendoline Christie would make the best Red Sonja in cinematic history: she's an amazing actor, she legit has all the sword-work down already, all the stunts as well, she already has a suit of armor and a sword, she doesn't take shit off anyone, and all she needs to get into the role is a bottle of red hair dye. The only thing from here out that needs to be graven in stone is that Red Sonja doesn't wear a chainmail bikini because she's not a Walking Frank Frazetta Picture, she's a battle-priestess, one that is dedicated to war, combat and strategy, someone who wants to ascend to Valhalla ... not ... you know, Valhalla's Wet T-Shirt Contest or some shit.

I can't get behind you on that one, man. Hyborian Age means the only people wearing a full set of armor are evil warlords and/or wizards. You know who the good guys are by how much skin they're showing and how you can see yourself in their glistening abs

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

I can't get behind you on that one, man. Hyborian Age means the only people wearing a full set of armor are evil warlords and/or wizards. You know who the good guys are by how much skin they're showing and how you can see yourself in their glistening abs

You know, that is a fair point and I might have to concede this one to you.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular

Superman is a Soap Opera character. You can never really count him out.

"No, it wasn't me that died. It was my identical twin, Mark Kent. We somehow managed to live out our lives without anyone ever finding out.

Anyway, don't think about it too hard of if it's in any way logistically possible. I'm here now and I'm going to kick some bad guy butt"

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My favorite thing I've read about Justice League is that there are two pretty easily spotted giveaways in re-shoot scenes that they were shot later
    1) The CG on Henry Cavill's mustache us apparently wonky and looks weird
    2) Ben Affleck gained a noticeable amount of weight between the main shoot and the re-shoots so you get a husky Bruce

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

to be fair this new "Superman" character supposedly has a moustache so it can't be the same guy at all, it'd never work

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What they should have done, rather than editing his moustache out, they should have added his moustache in to the rest of the scenes.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    In the original Conan stories my understanding is he wore armour like a non-idiot would. It's only really the Franzetta cover art that started that idea.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    What they should have done, rather than editing his moustache out, they should have added his moustache in to the rest of the scenes.

Yes.

I mean, who says he wouldn't grow a moustache after what he's been through?

muzjaw9u4nwn.jpg

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The fact that Cavill wouldn't shave his moustache and demanded they CG it out is so openly contemptuous of the film.

Fake moustaches are a thing if you really need it for reshoots dude.

This discussion has been closed.