As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know it would be a bit weird given he's in that Pikachu Detective thing, but Danny Devito would make a pretty great Mario voice.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I know it would be a bit weird given he's in that Pikachu Detective thing, but Danny Devito would make a pretty great Mario voice.

He's not, that was a rumor. But according to Wikipedia, Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, Ryan Reynolds, and Hugh Jackman are in the running to voice the electric rat, which is freaking awesome.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I feel like having a Mario with actual extended, spoken lines would be a mistake. I think that the only things Mario should ever say are "It's-a me!" and "Here we gooo!". Silent protagonist, otherwise.

I think at one point in the new game he say's "Peach!" and even that seemed really weird.
    I'm not up to that! Spoilerssssssss!

EDIT: Unless he says it in the intro or something, I don't even remember.

Delduwath on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wild card: Ubisoft helps bankroll a Mario x Rabbids movie.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Nintendo used to have a problem with VA work in that their voices were really great at sound effects, but would be absolutely terrible at actual dialog.

I say used to, because lately they've gotten really good at it. Stuff like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are voiced by actual VA veterans. They've finally got off their rump and gave Zelda voice acting and it was fine (well Zelda herself was a bit weird, but I'd consider that a director's issue than the voice itself). Pauline is also voiced by a veteran, and even Peach doesn't sound bad now (for as little you actually here her speak in game). That leaves Mario... which yeah, falls right into the original complaint. Great sound effect, I dunno if he could carry multiple sentences.

Then again, this is all under the assumption that they even have Mario speak. They'd probably just as likely make him silent... well as silent as Mario is generally.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    LA Noire looks quite nice in handheld mode.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

> doubt

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

> doubt

Whoa whoa calm down, there's no need to go crazy here

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

> doubt

Whoa whoa calm down, there's no need to go crazy here

> doubt harder

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

> doubt

I don't want to talk to you anymore, send the other guy next time.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I enjoyed LA Noire but I remember feeling like it was tough to get a real impression as to whether your questioning was on the right track, or which choice was right. And I think ultimately failing just meant there would be a chase scene instead of nabbing the person right then and there. But sometimes further steps in the case like a chase scene were inevitable so it was really hard to tell if you screwed up or not. It wasn't like a Phoenix Wright where there was definitely one piece of evidence or statement that was the right thing to present to move the story forward.

Still it gave some pretty fun and dynamic-feeling experiences of interrogation. But I think it was the start of the Telltale-style "you always win in the end" storytelling/gameplay.

Someday I might like to play runs where you specifically say everything right, and also everything wrong, just to compare.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Does anyone have Rayman Legends for the Switch? How does the new patch improve the performance?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I enjoyed LA Noire but I remember feeling like it was tough to get a real impression as to whether your questioning was on the right track, or which choice was right. And I think ultimately failing just meant there would be a chase scene instead of nabbing the person right then and there. But sometimes further steps in the case like a chase scene were inevitable so it was really hard to tell if you screwed up or not. It wasn't like a Phoenix Wright where there was definitely one piece of evidence or statement that was the right thing to present to move the story forward.

Still it gave some pretty fun and dynamic-feeling experiences of interrogation. But I think it was the start of the Telltale-style "you always win in the end" storytelling/gameplay.

Someday I might like to play runs where you specifically say everything right, and also everything wrong, just to compare.

It was very much one of those "keep going even if you screw up" games. That said, there was a little musical cue that would play after every question that would let you know if you got it right or not.

There was one minor cheat in the whole system you could take advantage of though. If you accuse them, you could back out without picking a piece of evidence, with no consequence. And often than not, the dialog you'd get when accusing would clue you in on whether or not you were on the right track.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Oh yeah, I do remember groaning internally if I heard the wrong piano sting.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New update and content for Super Bomberman R coming
    EL SEGUNDO, CALIF. – November 14, 2017 – Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. announced today a new update for SUPER BOMBERMAN R that includes a free 3-vs-3 game mode, as well as a stock of new characters.

Designed specifically for future eSports initiatives, the new Grand Prix mode is a team versus mode that pits two teams of up to 3 players each to battle it out in different arena stages using new characters with special abilities. The Grand Prix mode includes several matches:

"Crystal" Match – two teams compete to earn points by collecting crystals. Watch out for bombs! If you’re blown away you lose half of your crystals. The team with the most points at the end of the round wins.
    “Basic Bomber” Match -- two teams compete against each other using standard Bomberman rules. Each team begins with a set number of lives. To win, take out your opponents to earn the most points before the time runs out.

The new update also introduces 9 new characters, a new world – World 7 – to the story mode, as well as a variety of other new stages and accessories.

SUPER BOMBERMAN R launched globally in March 2017 exclusively for the Nintendo Switch™, marking a fitting return for the beloved multiplayer series. All key Bomberman elements return for the new title as players guide their Bomberman around maze-like areas using timed bombs to open walkways and take out opponents within timed sessions. In SUPER BOMBERMAN R, up to eight players can compete locally or online in the competitive ‘Battle’ mode, or up to two players can work cooperatively in ‘Story’ mode to clear stages in order to save the galaxy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Supposedly Nintendo and Illumination (the Despicable Me guys) are close to agreeing on producing a Super Mario movie.

Could be good, could be terrible. Though I'd rather have seen the folks behind Wreck It Ralph handling it. At least we are getting a sequel to that.

Charles Martinet can be pretty insufferable as Mario for an extended period of time, but that's without a script and with vague instructions to be bland and inoffensive.

If Nintendo follows their usual MO they might make him have a sidekick that does all the talking like in every other story-heavy Mario game. But I don't know if that would work for a movie.

I can't picture Mario having a believable emotional moment of any sort.

I could see Mario as a silent protagonist in a WALL-E sort of way. Too bad it's not Pixar.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2017
    First review for Skyrim Switch. Sounds good. 20 hours and no reported bugs or major issues. Long initial load time but not a problem when actually playing, anti-aliasing is a weak point. They claim it's somehow better than the initial release of Skyrim: Special Edition, less buggy and more solid in performance than on PS4. That's almost unbelievable to me, but others have made similar claims in previews.

UncleSporky on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Super Bomberman R's post release support has been amazing.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Switch skyrim comparisons video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7mW9daU5E
    Kind of excited, started up special edition on PC and already itching to roll a new character. Have this weird impulse to put a few hours into a character and then start over a different build whenever I get back into skyrim.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Late input, but the Switch has been a bit of a miss as a commuter handheld for me. It's splendid for more stable, longer travel like airplanes or long train rides, but it's too large and fiddly to have with me on the subway so far. You'll take up extra wingspan holding it and playing it, and it's a challenge to get it in and out of the protective case when carrying a briefcase, unlike the 3ds which could just fit in a pocket.

But that's what I use it for. To dominate the air space around me.

BEHOLD MY CONSOLE...

...while I harvest parsnips in Stardew Valley.

It's a total power move.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Ughhhhhh the lowest value garbage crop

Strawberries man

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    This must be unhealthy, I’m literally playing Rocket League on my X1 while I wait for my Rocket League install on my Switch to finish.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Supposedly Nintendo and Illumination (the Despicable Me guys) are close to agreeing on producing a Super Mario movie.

Could be good, could be terrible. Though I'd rather have seen the folks behind Wreck It Ralph handling it. At least we are getting a sequel to that.

Definitely, though it's probably too much to hope for to have Disney hop on another corporation's IP.

And yeah, Illumination's output tends to average out to decent to good, which is at least better than your average Dreamworks fart.

Eh, Dreamworks highs are higher, though their lows are lower...and as a baseline there's more variety with Dreamworks. This is very subjective, though.

I don't think there's an animation studio out there right now that I feel I could trust to make a Nintendo property into a proper movie, even Disney, but that's largely because I don't think any of their games would really adapt well to that sort of medium, with maybe Pokemon as the exception? I think we're better off with cameos / references / homage a la Wreck it Ralph, where they are free to adopt the interesting elements without being tied down to franchise specifics. It's not to say that a Super Mario Bros. movie won't be good, just that I'm not optimistic.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    TDawg wrote: »

Definitely, though it's probably too much to hope for to have Disney hop on another corporation's IP.

And yeah, Illumination's output tends to average out to decent to good, which is at least better than your average Dreamworks fart.

Eh, Dreamworks highs are higher, though their lows are lower...and as a baseline there's more variety with Dreamworks. This is very subjective, though.

I don't think there's an animation studio out there right now that I feel I could trust to make a Nintendo property into a proper movie, even Disney, but that's largely because I don't think any of their games would really adapt well to that sort of medium, with maybe Pokemon as the exception? I think we're better off with cameos / references / homage a la Wreck it Ralph, where they are free to adopt the interesting elements without being tied down to franchise specifics. It's not to say that a Super Mario Bros. movie won't be good, just that I'm not optimistic.

Genndy Tartakovsky’s Metroid

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

As long as it's more "jack vs the archers" and less "this is the sex metaphor episode", I'm good with that.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

Would be rad, but both Tartakovsky productions and Metroid in general are so volatile, it would inevitably play out in one of a few ways:
    • Cancelled because studio executives don't think it has merchandising potential
    • Cancelled because of a lack of Japanese interest
    • Adam Sandler stars as Adam
    • Cancelled because someone mentioned Other M a block away from the studio, causing a riot large enough to level Los Angeles

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Okay fine,

George Miller’s Mach Rider

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    [*] Adam Sandler stars as Adam

There are some things you just don't joke about, sir.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Okay fine,

George Miller’s Mad Mario: Rainbow Road

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

This is a dumb question they had only a card that you bought for the digital download
    Is it only available via the eshop?

edited November 2017
    Okay, crossplay Rocket League is Fantastic.

SSJJohnCena, ThunderChunder85 and HaloMrsRobinson vs Jeff, Steve and Jeff

Taramoor on
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Everyone has different anime thresholds. :P

Mine is already dead.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nintendo used to have a problem with VA work in that their voices were really great at sound effects, but would be absolutely terrible at actual dialog.

I say used to, because lately they've gotten really good at it. Stuff like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are voiced by actual VA veterans. They've finally got off their rump and gave Zelda voice acting and it was fine (well Zelda herself was a bit weird, but I'd consider that a director's issue than the voice itself). Pauline is also voiced by a veteran, and even Peach doesn't sound bad now (for as little you actually here her speak in game). That leaves Mario... which yeah, falls right into the original complaint. Great sound effect, I dunno if he could carry multiple sentences.

Then again, this is all under the assumption that they even have Mario speak. They'd probably just as likely make him silent... well as silent as Mario is generally.

I can't imagine a studio like Universal ever doing something like that on a project of this magnitude. Plus, you have to imagine that kids are going to want to hear their hero speak, and I doubt they'd scrutinize the quality of acting as hard as people here would.

If they did go silent (or close), I'd imagine it might be at Nintendo's insistence... unless they equate the brothers' dialogue in the Mario & Luigi games as the next "Minion speak."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

As long as it's more "jack vs the archers" and less "this is the sex metaphor episode", I'm good with that.

That last season really did take a dive towards the end didn't it? First three episodes are straight gold though.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Couldn't be worse than the last Mario movie, right?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I actually liked the mario movie..

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Strawberries man

Was just making a joke - I have a full 116 crop greenhouse of ancient fruit now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Strawberries man

Was just making a joke - I have a full 116 crop greenhouse of ancient fruit now.

Cripes. I have 1 in there and the rest are Starfruit but my animals make so much money I don't even care. What are you using all that money for?

Drez wrote: »

Strawberries man

Yeah I'm just kiddin' around too, also got the ancient greenhouse lined with fruit trees...but for me that's kinda constituted the end of the game, I got to the end of year 2 when a Thing happens and I was basically done, I've done just about everything I felt like doing. What's left is...selling all the animals so I don't have to take care of them, sleeping repeatedly to pass the time and make wine age, sell it, buy the millions of dollars endgame luxuries...eh.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have Starfruit.

Because i stopped being a farmer and went all in on selling basement wine.

This discussion has been closed.