As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    992o680miip0.jpeg

Nothing fancy, but pretty happy with how she turned out

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm planning on doing my Shadespire stormcast in a sort of ancient, worn bronze effect, maybe, if I can pull it off?
    First I've gotta finish this Cauldron of Blood though, I hate painting these things.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Gosh I wish they would release a box of lady-stormcast. Or at the very least include some lady options on the sprue.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Gosh I wish they would release a box of lady-stormcast. Or at the very least include some lady options on the sprue.

This, but for every basically-human GW model range.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh man. So my mom brought in a box of mine she put in storage 7 years ago. There were a couple of things in it I was expecting to find, but so much more that I wasn't. Essentially, it wound up being a large box (it was the OG rock band box) filled with models and board games almost exclusively. There was SO MUCH MORE 40k stuff than I remembered having. Christ. But in that mess were the two Forge World Crisis suits I had ordered when I was in university (like, 2007 or 2008). I'd hoped to stumbled upon these some day as I remembered liking them and wanting to make them into something pretty now that I can actually paint decently. So a little Merry Christmas to me I guess~

Now to unload all the rest of this stuff. Frig. Heh.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I want to finally finish painting up the second half of my battletech minis from the starter box.

However, the minis are pretty low quality so I'm looking for a quick and dirty paint scheme for them, don't want to spend too much time.

I've got an airbrush so I am thinking of doing that technique where you airbrush the whole model one color, then put some bluetac over sections, and then airbrush the model the other camo color, repeat if you want a third. Then just throw a wash over everything and do the detail work on cockpits, etc.

However, I'm not sure if that approach to camo is going to read well on a model as tiny as a battletech one. Thoughts?

If that won't work I'll probably just stealth this scheme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PACTv_hm_eE&t=2s

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    That looks good. Really good.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ooo yeah, that metallic red looks awesome on the carapace!

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    McGibs wrote: »
    Ooo yeah, that metallic red looks awesome on the carapace!

Best part is it’s really easy and quick to do, so hopefully I won’t go mad painting gaunts.

The process for anyone interested.
    White primer
    Paint the whole thing with pallid wych flesh (two thin coats!)
    Wash with the GW fleshshade wash.
    Wash with agrax earth shade where you want shadows (in this example between the joints of plates and where the wings meet the “fingers”)
    Carapace is painted retributor gold, washed with agrax and then dry brushed stormhost silver.
    Apply tamiya clear red.

Then it’s just picking out details, which isn’t totally done yet in those photos.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I went mad painting big Nids rather than Gaunts. You think there's a lot of them but there's really not, and you can cut corners on them because they're not the models you want to show off.

The bug Nids are the ones people want to marvel at so you spend more time on them, and you tend to get more of them than you expect. Some are so big that painting them takes ages.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    actually finished something last night!

night lords battlefield scavenger:

tXGchbL.jpg?1

HuLHGqD.jpg?1

plus one kitbashed wizard (now 60% less chaotic!) and a couple of repaired fimir:

pYli0Pd.jpg?1

uXyfUSL.jpg?1

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Trying to settle on a paint scheme, and I think I want to try a sea green/verdigris(maybe more algae on steel)/seaweed type deal, and I'm not sure what to search to get good reference images. Does anyone have some advice?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Not sure what your minis look like, but if you’re going for a sort of ‘recently emerged from the sea’ look, there’s a neat thing you can do to replicate barnacles and ocean crustiness. Get some of the black/red packing foam like GW blisters used to have, put a dab of superglue on your model or base where you want it, and press the foam to it. Pull it off about 30 seconds later and it will leave a patch of rough foam that paints up nicely as ocean crud.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    DOxP9rTVoAACDkL.jpg
    Almost finished these guys. Orcs next!

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    ZP5GBYx.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I picked up one of these Official Games Workshop Citadel mould line removers after seeing the ruined horror that was the genestealer and termagant sprues. I gotta say, it actually works! I’d been using a dull xacto and this does the job a lot better without leaving any jagged spots or giving me the Freddy Krueger thumbs.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Did it take anyone else way, way, way, way toooooo loooong! to get @Mayday ‘s post?

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Like their painting, the subtlety was on point.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Getting ready for a tournament next weekend, and got my angry-eyebrows Contemptor off the painting block. Trying out some better camera setups and I got myself a turntable for gifs!
    chaos_contemptor01.jpg

chaos_contemptor_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Getting ready for a tournament next weekend, and got my angry-eyebrows Contemptor off the painting block. Trying out some better camera setups and I got myself a turntable for gifs!
    chaos_contemptor01.jpg

chaos_contemptor_turn.gif

That's a beautiful, big, mean-looking bastard! Fantastic work!

Meanwhile, I've bought the last few things for the diorama. Have I bitten of more than I can chew? Probably!

pv920cafj9xg.jpg
    6jso1c8zbbr3.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    @McGibs how did you do your yellow again? Red Scorpions only have the shoulder pad trim and helmet stripes in yellow, but I figure I'll do vehicles eventually.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ah crap I was rushing out of the hobby store this week and this air brush sand color I grabbed is a primer instead of regular paint.

Is it bad to have some of your outermost paint be primer? I’m planning on hitting the whole model with a filter and dullcote eventually.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Echo wrote: »
    @McGibs how did you do your yellow again? Red Scorpions only have the shoulder pad trim and helmet stripes in yellow, but I figure I'll do vehicles eventually.
    Base in Jokero Orange, wash with Riekland Flesh, mix and highlight up to Jack Bone, then wash with Cassandora Yellow.
    GW doesnt make an Air version of Jokaro Orange, but it did okay with some airbrush medium through my gun if you're aiming to do larger things like vehicles.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ah crap I was rushing out of the hobby store this week and this air brush sand color I grabbed is a primer instead of regular paint.

Is it bad to have some of your outermost paint be primer? I’m planning on hitting the whole model with a filter and dullcote eventually.

Primer is still paint. If it's the right color for what you want it to look like, go for it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Decided I was desperate to just paint SOMETHING. I remain too stunned on my Infinity models to jump on that, so I've spent a few hours over the last couple of days cleaning the XV84 forge world suit. It's been interesting.
    For one thing, my obsessive cleaning of Gunpla parts has apparently carried to my minis. That's a double-edged sword where things are definitely looking good (my panel liner can be used to clean out the armor breaks!), but it's taking hours for this one moderate mini. Another fun observation is looking at 10 years ago me and being like, "Did I seriously think these were cool? I do love robots, but man, Crisis suits are so blocky and ugly ..." :P The mods make them much nicer, but the core body remains a cube. The weapon options are also pretty bleh, so I'm tossing burst cannons on the thing because there's at least some shape to them.
    Overall I'm getting there. Have some cleaning of the weapons left and I'll be ready to put it together. :D
    ... So naturally I decided I wanted to put more than one model on the base and am going to add in a drone for more dynamic awesome! Finishing is so overrated, guys.

But I'm poking around here because I wanted to ask for some ideas for the base. I'm planning to keep it simple, but would be up for scratch-building a little bit of structure on it. My quick search earlier didn't turn up anything I really liked, but collectively you're an awesome group of brains to pick. Help me out and post an image or two for inspiration~ (Will probably have the suit and drone both on flying stands)

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    This might be difficult because it is just the cloth, and nothing else around it has been worked on, and the magnification on the pic is kinda high, but help me with this cloth?

UetQ2mA.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    In modelling not-so-new news:
    Have any of you guys been following Ray Dranfield? He’s one of the guys that designed the Sector Mechanicus kits and he’s apparently been tweeting tips like this for some time:

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Bin modelling not-so-new news:
    Have any of you guys been following Ray Dranfield? He’s one of the guys that designed the Sector Mechanicus kits and he’s apparently been tweeting tips like this for some time:

That's seriously gonna come in handy.

Stellar find.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I got the tip from BrookM over on Dakka, no idea where/how they found this guy, but yeah it’s great. Especially the one about the clips fitting the top of the medium cylinder.
    On a related note, turns out the hatches from the Ryza-Pattern ruins fit the deck plates pretty well too:
    bmsckchneg4y.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DO-gBzRUIAA3snY.jpg
    Finished!

• Options
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Those look great. I am only just nearing completion of the leader dude. Just had to go and do a double take on the topknots, what is this madness.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Updates - One good, one bad ...

Good news: Made my little drone buddy to go with the crisis suit, and I love him. He's adorable, and I added just enough little touches that it feels different and legit. Really looking forward to adding him in. :D

Bad news: The main body bits for the suit didn't really fit together properly. The front bit was a bit tight and the back bit was bent out so the jet intakes and thrusters didn't connect. Warmed up a pan of water and threw them in to do the old hot water trick. But apparently this doesn't work for Warhammer models? I couldn't find anything either way after the fact, but it warped and shrunk the plastic without making it soft, so now the back part is bowed way too far in the other direction, and the front piece doesn't fit on at all. Going to have to dig around for another body to use, I guess ... Ultimately really sad to have been a step away from finishing prep, and having to now redo one of the biggest parts. :(

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I seem to recall this being a thing with the crisis suits.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, I remember having to greenstuff a lot of gaps on the one crisis suit I have somewhere.

• Options
    J wrote: »
    Those look great. I am only just nearing completion of the leader dude. Just had to go and do a double take on the topknots, what is this madness.
    I cut all the topknots off my Khorne boys, but the Stormcast definitely needed some!

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    My god, are GW still putting topknots on new models? I hadn't noticed. How embarrassing.

For them.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    My god, are GW still putting topknots on new models? I hadn't noticed. How embarrassing.

For them.

Still waiting for the Man-bun Marines

This discussion has been closed.