As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Impeach Trump: Round 1

WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Some lawmakers have decided it's wise to draft articles of impeachment for 45

The timing doesn't seem great but we'll see if it keeps him from breaking the earth for another two weeks

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Does this actually have any force behind it?

Like it's still a republican controlled congress and senate.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Not that I'm saying he shouldn't be impeached, because he's a fraudulent nutsack of a man, but this is kind of a pointless gesture, isn't it?Republican leadership in the Senate can't convince a child molester to stop running for senate, even if they wanted Trump out their base won't nibble at that cookie.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

If anyone is going to make it seem legitimate, it's the tantrum baby in chief

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

No.

This is fucking stupid. All this does is give the GOP ammunition to say this is nothing but a partisan witch hunt.

Fucking, goddamit Democrats.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • useruser Registered User regular
    Al Green (D) Texas, has been trying since the Summer to a tepid audience, even among the peers in his own party. Unfortunately it's not brought forward by the majority party then it's not going to happen.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This is meaningless political theater until/unless the Mueller investigation finds something and/or the Democrats get a majority in the House.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Mueller's investigation has been moving faster than people expected, so maybe, i dunno, you should wait for that.

Now when the investigation is finished Trump will just say, "Hey we already had a vote on this and I ONE, LOSERS" and nothing will come of it.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    God, they’ll try to use this as ammo to stop mueller.

This is beyond stupid.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Now the Alabama election has "vote for Pedo or dems will impeach Trump"

I'm not expert, but this seems extremely poorly timed.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This is quite a demonstration of how to not bide one's time. I know things are pretty desperate at the moment but come on.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Democrats, fucking come on, seriously

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I dunno

seems like a good way to for democrats drum up more support from their base

goddess knows they need it

but, yeah, this is gonna do jack and shit for removing trump

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i’m peach trump

EzUAYcn.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I dunno

The recent election results are showing that the democrats may have an enthusiastic enough base already

I think there might not be any silver lining here

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I dunno

The recent election results are showing that the democrats may have an enthusiastic enough base already

I think there might not be any silver lining here

i don't know that you want to hedge on "Well they're enthusiastic enough forever now"

liEt3nH.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i’m peach trump

Gross

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

virtually none, but give it some time

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i also honestly have a hard time believing that this can meaningfully disadvantage anything any more than it's already disadvantaged, tbqh

liEt3nH.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    How about not making impeachment seem like a hollow partisan crying wolf so that after the Mueller investigation has all its ducks in a row it seems like the logical conclusion based on certifiable evidence?

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Even if this is meaningless political theater I have a hard time believing it's actively detrimental. Like, the GOP is going to unconditionally oppose anything more forceful than vague statements of disapproval for as long as they conceivably can, so the idea that this move gives them more rhetorical ammunition feels like kind of a moot point.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    During Barack Obama's tenure as President of the United States from 2009 to 2017, certain Republican members of Congress stated that Obama may have engaged in impeachable activity and that he might face attempts to remove him from office.[1] Rationales offered for possible impeachment included false claims[2] that Obama was born outside the United States, that he allegedly allowed people to use bathrooms based on their gender identity, an alleged White House cover-up after the 2012 Benghazi attack and failure to enforce immigration laws. No list of articles of impeachment was ever drawn up and proposed to the Judiciary Committee.

Multiple surveys of U.S. public opinion found that the clear majority of Americans rejected the idea of impeaching Obama, while a majority of Republicans were in favor; for example, CNN found in July 2014 that 57% of Republicans supported efforts while about two thirds of adult Americans in general disagreed.[3]
    Job offer to Pennsylvania Representative Joe Sestak
    In May 2010, Republican Darrell Issa of California stated that the allegation that the White House had offered Pennsylvania Representative Joe Sestak a job to persuade Sestak to drop out of the Pennsylvania Senate primary election against Arlen Specter "is one that everyone from Arlen Spector to Dick Morris has said is in fact a crime, and could be impeachable".[5] With the possibility of becoming chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in January 2011, Issa said in October 2010 that the committee would not seek to impeach Obama.[6]

Preventing Obama from "pushing his agenda"
    In August 2011, Republican Congressman Michael C. Burgess of Texas agreed with a rally audience member that the impeachment of Barack Obama "needs to happen" in order to prevent Obama from "pushing his agenda". Burgess did not mention any grounds for impeachment.[7][8]

Obama administration immigration policy
    In June 2012, Senator Jon Kyl said on the Bill Bennett radio show that "if it’s bad enough and if shenanigans involved in it, then of course impeachment is always a possibility. But I don’t think at this point anybody is talking about that." when discussing the Obama Administration policy on immigration.[9]

"The most egregious cover-up in American history", Benghazi attack
    In May 2013, Republican Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma stated that President Obama could be impeached over what he alleged was a White House cover-up after last year's attack in Benghazi, Libya.[10] Inhofe said that "of all the great cover-ups in history—the Pentagon papers, Iran-Contra, Watergate, all the rest of them—this ... is going to go down as most egregious cover-up in American history".[10] Republican Congressman Jason Chaffetz of Utah also stated in an interview that impeachment was "within the realm of possibilities" with regard to the September 11, 2012, attack in Benghazi, Libya, later clarifying that "it's not something I'm seeking" and that "I'm not willing to take that off the table. But that's certainly not what we're striving for."[11]

Impeachment requested by a townhall meeting audience member
    In August 2013, Republican Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma responded to a questioner in a town hall meeting, who had asserted that President Obama was failing to carry out his constitutional responsibilities, by saying that "you have to establish the criteria that would qualify for proceedings against the president... and that's called impeachment".[12][13] Coburn added, "I don't have the legal background to know if that rises to 'high crimes and misdemeanors', but I think you're getting perilously close".[12] Coburn did not specify what grounds he felt would support impeachment, but NBC News noted that Coburn "mentioned that he believes Department of Homeland Security officials have told career USCIS employees to 'ignore' background checks for immigrants". Coburn mentioned no evidence that substantiated his belief.[12]

False claims of being born outside the United States
    At a 2013 town hall meeting with constituents, two years after Obama had released his long-form birth certificate to the public, Congressman Blake Farenthold said that Obama should be impeached due to conspiracy theories relating to Obama's birth certificate. Farenthold said that he thinks that "the House is already out of the barn on this, on the whole birth certificate issue."[14]

IRS targeting conservatives
    On August 19, 2013, Republican Congressman Kerry Bentivolio stated that if he could write articles of impeachment, "it would be a dream come true". To help in achieving that goal, he retained experts and historians.[15][16] During the same interview, Bentivolio called the press "the most corrupt thing in Washington," and said that he was looking to tie the White House to the IRS targeting controversy "as evidence of impeachment [sic]".

Hearing on "President's Constitutional Duty"
    On December 3, 2013, the House Judiciary committee held a hearing on the President that was formally titled "The President's Constitutional Duty to Faithfully Execute the Laws", which has been viewed as an attempt to begin justifying impeachment proceedings. When asked by reporters if this was a hearing about impeachment, the Chairman of the committee responded that it was not, saying "I didn't mention impeachment nor did any of the witnesses in response to my questions at the Judiciary Committee hearing."[17]

Allowing transgender students to use bathrooms
    In May 2016, the Oklahoma Legislature filed a measure asking the representatives from Oklahoma in the House of Representatives to impeach Obama, the U.S. attorney general, the U.S. secretary of education and any other administration officials involved in the decision to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms corresponding to their gender identity. The same resolution also "condemns the actions of the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice and the Office for Civil Rights of the United States Department of Education ... as contrary to the values of the citizens of Oklahoma".[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_impeach_Barack_Obama

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    If anything I think pushing the idea that Trump is unfit to hold office even outside of the Mueller/Russia stuff is a good move

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Canadian politics can get grim, but I'm so sorry to you Americans that your only current viable alternative to Trump is... the democrats.

Anyway, this seems like an enormously silly idea when the Mueller investigation is at the stage it's at.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It's the deep state you guys.

The amount of people around my neighborhood who legit come up and talk to random people about the deep state and thinly veiled white nationalism and shit is fucking terrifying.

MAGA hats everywhere, fucking gadson flags, infowars bumper stickers... There was a guy in burger king wearing and anti communist action shit and an SS logo.

Also we went to see my family for my aunt's 70th birthday and my cousin was flying the stars and bars right under the stars and stripes and I just kept my mouth shut about it obviously but it was so disappointing.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I really don't think anything the house democrats do matters in any way. This is going to fail immediately and people are going to say whatever

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If anything I think pushing the idea that Trump is unfit to hold office even outside of the Mueller/Russia stuff is a good move

Senator "Not running again and coincidentally found his spine" Corker seems like he's doing this much more forcefully by actually seriously breaching the topic of whether Trump is unfit to have nuclear access

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    It's the deep state you guys.

The amount of people around my neighborhood who legit come up and talk to random people about the deep state and thinly veiled white nationalism and shit is fucking terrifying.

MAGA hats everywhere, fucking gadson flags, infowars bumper stickers... There was a guy in burger king wearing and anti communist action shit and an SS logo.

Also we went to see my family for my aunt's 70th birthday and my cousin was flying the stars and bars right under the stars and stripes and I just kept my mouth shut about it obviously but it was so disappointing.

man sometimes i miss losing my family and sometimes i'm
    03ex0k0f9gce.jpg

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I would be a lot closer to my family if it wasn't for their shitty politics

so 100% fuck conservative ideology and all the talking heads, politicians, and rich shitlords who push it

it's something that deeply upsets me if I let it

Miss me? Find me on:

edited November 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    How about not making impeachment seem like a hollow partisan crying wolf so that after the Mueller investigation has all its ducks in a row it seems like the logical conclusion based on certifiable evidence?

they will say the same thing anyway no matter how much actual evidence is stacked against them

we're way past the point where facts matter to the far right

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Now the Alabama election has "vote for Pedo or dems will impeach Trump"

I'm not expert, but this seems extremely poorly timed.

The Democratic party, ladies and gentlemen!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'm curious to see how the news media spins this because it doesn't seem to have been covered quite yet

• AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Need to retcon Daria and Jane's favorite show to 'SICK! SAD! World'

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    God that was a good show

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    God that was a good show

I remember watching it after everybody else and liking it, but i am afraid it doesn't hold up

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    This is so dumb. Even if it did have a chance of making headway against Trump right this second, I'd still want them to hold off until we were sure whether thje combo-chain could be sustained to take down Pence and Ryan too.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    God that was a good show

I remember watching it after everybody else and liking it, but i am afraid it doesn't hold up

unfortunately the version with the original soundtrack from the TV release is very hard to get access to

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Democrats are gonna fuck around and flush all their political capital down the drain.

Jon Q Public is going to tune out and the GOP will sweep it all under the rug.

Fucking bunch of idiots.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    God that was a good show

unfortunately the version with the original soundtrack from the TV release is very hard to get access to

you basically have to pirate it

but I otherwise I would say it holds up very well, though there are legit criticisms that can be leveled at it (basically, it's not great at representation and it's extremely upper-middle class)

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't think this will go anywhere, but I don't think it will necessarily harm Dems in general going forward. Pretty much half of voters already think Trump ought to be impeached anyway, and none of the high ranked Dems are putting their names on this as far as I can tell.

This discussion has been closed.