As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

5.1 surround sound help

TalkaTalka Registered User regular
Please help me configure my home entertainment system!

I have a surround sound system (Samsung HT-J5500W) and a television (LG 55EC9300). I also have a PS4, Xbox One, and a cable box.

If I connect my surround sound system directly to my TV via HDMI and run tests through the HDMI connection, I get surround sound.
If I connect my surround sound system directly to my PS4 via optical digital, I get surround sound.
However, if I connect my surround sound system directly to my TV via optical digital, and then connect my TV to my PS4 via HDMI, I don't get surround sound.

This is a huge pain in the ass. I want all my devices to output surround sound. They only seem to output surround sound if connected directly to my surround sound system via optical digital. However, only one device can connect at a time, as my surround sound system only has one optical digital input.

I want to be able to switch inputs directly on my TV (e.g., PS4 to Xbox to cable) and have each device output 5.1 surround sound. Is this not possible? What am I missing? How do I get this to work?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So, uh, what you're really missing is a real 'RECEIVER'.

Usually, everything runs into the RECEIVER (ps4 / xbone / cable / etc) which then runs to your television with a single HDMI.

Looking at that system on Amazon it looks like it's not an actual receiver that is set up to take multiple inputs.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The real problem here I think is the TV. I'm almost positive the TV does not pass through Dolby data, so you're stuck with stereo/PCM. And the Samsung stereo system doesn't have HDMI, so you can't experiment with ARC. There's no real way around this aside from replacing the TV or getting rid of the HTiB in favor of a real receiver.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    You could get an optical/spdif switch. Connect all your audio sources to the switch, then connect the switch to your audio system. They can be dirt cheap physical switches or you can get nicer ones that have remotes. But it won't present as an interface on your tv to switch between devices. It would be a separate component.

• Options
    mark@pennyarcademark@pennyarcade Registered User new member
    Found a 5.1 surround sound switch on eBay and Etsy by searching for "Logitech 3.5mm 5.1 Surround Sound Switch" also on Amazon by searching for "3.5mm 5.1 Switch" or #B004FSWBYG.