As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Neat, got a package today from Team Covenant with my sub stuff in it. Let's crack that package...

...what?

uXSOmWj.jpg

uhh. Praise the Sun, indeed?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Did you pay for all of those or did they send them erroneously?

Apparently it was a weird system glitch, and I didn’t pay for the extras. It may have been related to me setting up my ANR subscriptions at the same time, who knows.

They told me to just keep the extras, and the extra Fate counters too. (They sent five of them, one for each pack.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    Ooh those fate counters are nice. I would have bought them if they made them available in a non ridiculous way.

Oh my god I just had the best turn 1 of all time. Choose to go second. It's Phoenix. He flops over double Tsukune and immediately plays all fate on her and discards the other one to add fate. I play Hotaru with two fate and pass to gain a fate, leaving me at two. I have Fallen in Battle and Katana in hand. Please lord, give me a Mirumoto's Fury. I draw it. He contemplates attack. Please, if there is a god, let him go military. There is a god. Defend with Hotaru, Mirumoto's Fury him. He bows. Equip katana.

"Do you have that card that kills someone if you win by five?"
    "Yes."
    "Oh. I didn't think people played that card."
    "Yeah it's pretty ridiculous in Crane actually."
    "Oh. I think I just lose then."
    "Maybe."

He passes. I pass. I show him the FiB. He concedes.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Why would you concede that early?!

Grr. This game is swingy by design. If that is turn 1, then there likely won't be much more happening that turn. Keep. Going!

*sighs*

Still, awesome turn!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Clan champs first turn I see a lot and it is almost always a mistake. Numbers of gives you more rings so they end up dishonoured or voided etc

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Not even just a mistake, but going so hard-in on it. Like, keep the 2nd copy until you know you're going to maintain the first on the board. :/

Athenor wrote: »

Grr. This game is swingy by design. If that is turn 1, then there likely won't be much more happening that turn. Keep. Going!

*sighs*

Still, awesome turn!

Yeah, I don't understand it. In a real tournament with prizes on the line I assume you're not going to concede so quickly, so you better learn how to play from behind instead of just instantly going on tilt. The game has a constantly evolving board state and you don't have to worry about not drawing into your economy if/when you do end up getting your good cards, so you might as well play it out. In fact, it's probably more useful to learn how to generate a win out of adversity than when everything is going right.
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Clan champs first turn I see a lot and it is almost always a mistake. Numbers of gives you more rings so they end up dishonoured or voided etc

I agree with this for the most part. I only played the Hotaru because of the above potential line of play and the fact that double voiding or double firing would have probably been my best option to mitigate Tsukune if he didn't wander into FiB. I do feel Tsukune is an exception though because she does generate those rings. He's looking at a potential turn where he fires off three rings, or at least two if I successfully defend. Even if she is dishonored, just sitting there doing nothing except getting you the favor and two rings is pretty strong.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    "Never concede" is something I picked up from Warmachine, where you can be way behind but if your opponent makes a mistake you can assassinate their caster and win. I've also been frustrated by people who concede games when they still have a path to victory - my best friend does that a lot. Losing doesn't take much longer than conceding. At worse you lose but learn something from the game.

Unlike those games, L5R has a fluid board state so it is even more important to play it out. Stay calm and think about how you could have played better.

New fiction's up: Service and Sacrifice.

persona4celestia.jpg
    ChaosHat wrote: »

*sighs*

Still, awesome turn!

Yeah, I don't understand it. In a real tournament with prizes on the line I assume you're not going to concede so quickly, so you better learn how to play from behind instead of just instantly going on tilt. The game has a constantly evolving board state and you don't have to worry about not drawing into your economy if/when you do end up getting your good cards, so you might as well play it out. In fact, it's probably more useful to learn how to generate a win out of adversity than when everything is going right.

I agree with this for the most part. I only played the Hotaru because of the above potential line of play and the fact that double voiding or double firing would have probably been my best option to mitigate Tsukune if he didn't wander into FiB. I do feel Tsukune is an exception though because she does generate those rings. He's looking at a potential turn where he fires off three rings, or at least two if I successfully defend. Even if she is dishonored, just sitting there doing nothing except getting you the favor and two rings is pretty strong.

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticising you. It was more a statement of belief for discussion.
    I think clan champs turn one rarely goes well, but appreciate sometimes you have no options.
    I appreciate what you are saying about the Phoenix champ being different as she's good even when nothing has happened, but her getting dishonoured and then voided is still brutal for a 7 fate cost. Getting Earth and Air to trigger I don't think cuts it. While this doesn't always happen, I generally think it happens more than not because of the numbers advantage.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    New fiction's up: Service and Sacrifice.

These seem to be getting better. I wonder if this was modified any by the story choice, or if we are still playing out the "Setup?"

Read over Toturi's L5R wiki page to see how things differed from the original story. Biggest thing I noted (beyond the stuff we already knew) was the arranged marriage happening when they were 8, as opposed to babies.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Good article on the logic behind the roles chosen:

https://thoughts5r.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/roley-poley/

*sighs*

Still, awesome turn!

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticising you. It was more a statement of belief for discussion.
    I think clan champs turn one rarely goes well, but appreciate sometimes you have no options.
    I appreciate what you are saying about the Phoenix champ being different as she's good even when nothing has happened, but her getting dishonoured and then voided is still brutal for a 7 fate cost. Getting Earth and Air to trigger I don't think cuts it. While this doesn't always happen, I generally think it happens more than not because of the numbers advantage.

Oh I didn't take it as criticism. Like I said, I mostly agree: you better have a real good reason/ability to protect it if you're going to do it. This is especially ridiculous for him to do against a faction that has Noble Sacrifice. You need to have counters or something to cover for your champion, and really I would say anything less than a break and three rings (one from the conflict, two for the ability) is a bad turn for that Tsukune play since anything else would have gotten you something similar.

I mean hell, he didn't have fate for Display of Power to flip a fire ring around on me or something. Fire ring to dishonor into noble sacrifice has to be your #1 fear in that scenario.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Unless it looks like your opponent can break two provinces, Tsukune with two fate and pass is a perfectly good opening for Phoenix. The key is to not actually defend or attack with her, as most options for killing her require her to be in a conflict. Your opponent gets one ring, assuming you can't stop his attack with conflict cards, and one province maybe, and you get two rings and the favor.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Unless it looks like your opponent can break two provinces, Tsukune with two fate and pass is a perfectly good opening for Phoenix. The key is to not actually defend or attack with her, as most options for killing her require her to be in a conflict. Your opponent gets one ring, assuming you can't stop his attack with conflict cards, and one province maybe, and you get two rings and the favor.

That seems like a pretty terrible opening to me since you're going to get the worst two rings at the end of the round and potentially be looking at two broken provinces.

I don't play Phoenix though but it seems like a nearly crippling loss of tempo considering you could try to win two rings and break some provinces at the same time with another start.

Yeah, I agree, it's likely she ends up dis-honoured by Fire and down a fate by Void. Even if you get two rings, your opponent is getting two rings and two attempts to break provinces, the loss of honour from not defending is also a key factor.
    I'm sure with some dream hands, like where you went second and pass first and have Display of Power and Way of the Phoenix it's viable, but I don't think that comes up often to be considered a solid plan.

Interestingly Kaede is a much more interesting first turn character, not necessarily good, but her ability to ignore ring effects makes her more resilient. If she can participate in multiple conflicts she's solid.

Alright, this is my PAX build. I'm sleeved up and locked in now.

In the Unicorn FB group I wrote up my (still evolving) thoughts of the clan and what its playstyle should be, and got some good feedback.

Then I looked at my deck to see if it played to that style.. and.. nope! I wonder if that's why I am losing - I have a lot of dead cards that just don't feed into my playstyle.

I'm also debating switching from Crab splash to.. phoenix or something. Just to see how it plays out.

Oh right, I should probably actually build a deck for a Summons on Friday.

...part of me wants to build some sort of stupid Yurt-recycling honor runner deck involving Rebuild.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh right, I should probably actually build a deck for a Summons on Friday.

...part of me wants to build some sort of stupid Yurt-recycling honor runner deck involving Rebuild.

*whispers* don't tell anyone but I'm doing that week 4 when Way of the Chrysanthemum is out. It's going to be extremely dumb and bad.
    Alright, this is my PAX build. I'm sleeved up and locked in now.

Hard to argue with anything here. Good luck!

admanb on
    In the Unicorn FB group I wrote up my (still evolving) thoughts of the clan and what its playstyle should be, and got some good feedback.

Then I looked at my deck to see if it played to that style.. and.. nope! I wonder if that's why I am losing - I have a lot of dead cards that just don't feed into my playstyle.

I'm also debating switching from Crab splash to.. phoenix or something. Just to see how it plays out.

The Unicorn deck I've built splashes Lion basically because For Greater Glory. It seems like the obvious choice for rush?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    For Greater Glory is definitely potent. But.. there are other ways to rush. Crab right now is giving me resiliency. Crane might be fun for some honor shenaniganry. But.. we'll see. Haven't sat down and made decks for the other clans yet, I need to do that.

I definitely think there's something to be said for Reprieve, given that Spyglass may be Unicorn's best conflict card.

admanb wrote: »
    I definitely think there's something to be said for Reprieve, given that Spyglass may be Unicorn's best conflict card.

Reprieve is basically one focus while For Greater Glory can be 3, 5, or more focus? Yeah it also acts as a counter but I don't think that's relevant enough to make up the difference.

edited November 2017
    Scan of the For Honor & Glory story bits.

eeeee! at the last page.

EDIT: Also it's so much Taka-time. I think he's probably my favorite non-Mantis character.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Looks like they’ve got a L5R Pinny Arcade pin at the FFG booth from doing a demo, in case anyone’s at PAX Unplugged.

persona4celestia.jpg
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Damnit I want.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I have been aware of this since they put up the pin list (I'm already invested in Pinny Arcade so I'm a cheater :P ), and have sources whom I hope shall acquire one for me. Really don't know how easy/hard these ones might be to find down the road, but there will always be ebay if you do really want it~

Bayushi Kachiko: Just as scary as you'd expect. She's in the next pack.

5 fate, unique Scorpion
    3 military
    6 politics
    3 glory
    Courtier. Imperial.
    Action: While this caracter is participating in a POL conflict, choose a participating character with lower POL skill than this character - move the chosen character home. Then, you may bow it.
    "which of us would bid this game to end? We are nearly perfectly matched, but there can be only one victor."
    CONFLICT DECK CARD. NO INFLUENCE.

Kachiko card image for people who want dat art
    9G1O3H3.jpg

edited November 2017
    Yeah, I was too lazy to pull it out of Facebook and the artwork is the same from the 1st fiction insert. :)

edit:
    Well that is terrifying.

Yeah, fully fits a damned scary courtier.

Though.. I'm kind of upset. Someone was saying it doesn't fit her personality. Then.. well.. they described a character that implied she would sleep around with her opponents by having both herself and the target go home. And that she was a lot weaker overall in military and political spheres.

That doesn't sit well with me. I know she is a femme fatale, and a manipulator, but.. I've always known her as just the most scorpion of Scorpion.

Athenor on
    Though.. I'm kind of upset. Someone was saying it doesn't fit her personality. Then.. well.. they described a character that implied she would sleep around with her opponents by having both herself and the target go home. And that she was a lot weaker overall in military and political spheres.

That doesn't sit well with me. I know she is a femme fatale, and a manipulator, but.. I've always known her as just the most scorpion of Scorpion.

I love that new Kachiko is an all-around Scorpion badass and the position of top lover in Scorpion has been taken by Yogo Hiroe, or as I call him "the pansexual love machine."

She is traditionally a seductress, but that title has meant a lot of things. One of her old experienced versions was basically an unlimited Forged Edict.

edited November 2017
    Okay, this deck I slapped together is kinda... not good. Anyone got a fun deck I can just throw together for tonight?

(Hard mode: 2 core + Tears.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    So I'm thinking she goes straight into Dropbears?

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Giving her 3 MIL is a bit silly, IMHO.

cckerberos.png
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I'm thinking she goes straight into Dropbears?

Seems like it.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to grab breakfast tomorrow or something before the kotei, holla.

What is this I don't even.