As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I actually liked the mario movie..

It's a so bad it's good guilty pleasure of mine. I resign that it is a terrible movie though.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I just like Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper.

And they made a pretty rad Yoshi.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Was someone who knows next to jack about this sort of thing, off the top of my head I’d expect Dreamworks would be more willing to follow Nintendo’s specific instructions for handling and presenting their IP.

I seem to recall when Wreck It Ralph was preparing the Bowser cameo for approval, Nintendo sent very detailed examples for the right way to depict Bowser drinking from a teacup.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Was someone who knows next to jack about this sort of thing, off the top of my head I’d expect Dreamworks would be more willing to follow Nintendo’s specific instructions for handling and presenting their IP.

I seem to recall when Wreck It Ralph was preparing the Bowser cameo for approval, Nintendo sent very detailed examples for the right way to depict Bowser drinking from a teacup.

Fair assessment. Nintendo is - as Disney would be, for example - super on top of making sure that their characters are presented as Nintendo would present them. That's one of the reasons the Mario + Rabbids pitch succeeded - Nintendo execs (including Miyamoto) were supposedly so impressed with how accurately the Mario character assets were presented/animated that they asked if Ubi had somehow obtained actual Nintendo assets/work by some unsanctioned means.

It makes sense why Nintendo would be like this. Can you imagine if Mario had some weird gait or an entirely different facial animation in a film? It'd be so jarring and off-putting.

Edit: Or even, like, if his hat or nose were a few sizes too big.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    It makes sense why Nintendo would be like this. Can you imagine if Mario had some weird gait or an entirely different facial animation in a film? It'd be so jarring and off-putting.

06jT0iC.gif

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Switch skyrim comparisons video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7mW9daU5E
    Kind of excited, started up special edition on PC and already itching to roll a new character. Have this weird impulse to put a few hours into a character and then start over a different build whenever I get back into skyrim.

I do that on RPGs all the time. Don't get me started on how many times I restarted Neverwinter Nights 2 to switch my build up. I eventually finished the campaign with a weird combination of fighter/bard/arcane archer/red dragon disciple.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    GMaster7 is onto something -- Nintendo was amazingly hands-off with Mario + Rabbids because Ubi respected the material. It's likely the Illumination execs were careful enough to give a very comforting pitch, which may be part of why Nintendo played ball with them.

Though Nintendo was very picky with Wreck-It-Ralph, that's probably because no one had ever really done a good representation of a video game character in movies before and Nintendo was probably right to be nervous. But the huge artistic and commercial success of that movie probably opened up a LOT of doors for collaboration, and may have indirectly lead to the Illumination deal. (Though Pixels probably slammed a few of those shut again.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

As a 13 year old, I was smitten by Rambo Daisy at the end of the film.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

06jT0iC.gif

I retract everything I said

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Rocket League really needs to get the video capture update ASAP.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    My friend code is SW-1335-2661-4136 if anyone wants to play some Rocket League.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Given how resistant Nintendo has been to putting any characterization or anything more than a bare bones plot into a Mario game, I'm really curious as to what a Mario movie would even be about. I mean I'd love something along the lines of Paper Mario:TTYD but I'm not exactly optimistic about it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Switch skyrim comparisons video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7mW9daU5E
    Kind of excited, started up special edition on PC and already itching to roll a new character. Have this weird impulse to put a few hours into a character and then start over a different build whenever I get back into skyrim.

That's actually way better than I was expecting!

Like. Substantially.

It looks like the special edition to me. Obviously lower quality textures and filtering than xb1/ps4/pc, but clearly has the updated lighting and way it draws trees, water etc. People were just assuming it couldn't be the special edition, but looking at that I'd be more surprised if it wasn't; it is at least using a bunch of its features. EDIT: Also surprisingly high draw distance.

Sure, I'd still play on PC over that at home, but on the go?

Plus, that gives me hopes for FO4.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Did they remove blood effects from the Switch version or is that just an awkward axe comparison shot? Two of the consoles have a streak of red on the axe, the Switch's axe is clean. Still, looks pretty good considering the platform and all.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    That's interesting, I didn't even notice, but yeah, it looks like the Switch one is the only version that didn't have a streak.

It would be a really weird sacrifice in detail, if that is it. Might just have to wait for more detailed looks from elsewhere to see if it is a mistake or something they had to do for the Switch version (not censorship, I'm sure; because...DOOM).

EDIT: just looked at a digital foundry video from last month with them showing a bit of gameplay and discussing it; one part of the gameplay (in hand, not a feed) definitely has a blood streak on a sword after killing a chicken.

I think it was just a fluke; or maybe the Switch has less persistence for those sort of decals?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I don't think we're going to have to deal with a lot of censorship with the switch considering we have games like Shinobi refle to look forward to.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Anyone here take a chance on the Switch version of Rime?

edit: I'm an idiot. Looks like it's not out for another week.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I managed to hold out on buying one of these until now.

There's a package coming in a couple of days though

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I've got a little report for you guys. I got the Zelda hybrid cover in and.. well.. i'll just let the pics speak for themselves:

oiipYn7.jpg

YpbsFea.jpg

LbIHjUJ.jpg

It's fucking gorgeous.

Got the 3rd party dock replacement in as well. My Switch didn't explode and it works flawlessly:

Qo75yyc.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I've heard it was Bob Hoskins's greatest regret.

Yoshi was rad though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    That's interesting, I didn't even notice, but yeah, it looks like the Switch one is the only version that didn't have a streak.

It would be a really weird sacrifice in detail, if that is it. Might just have to wait for more detailed looks from elsewhere to see if it is a mistake or something they had to do for the Switch version (not censorship, I'm sure; because...DOOM).

EDIT: just looked at a digital foundry video from last month with them showing a bit of gameplay and discussing it; one part of the gameplay (in hand, not a feed) definitely has a blood streak on a sword after killing a chicken.

I think it was just a fluke; or maybe the Switch has less persistence for those sort of decals?

I think it's just an inconsistency. Like maybe the door you enter to get that exact POV shot usually has an enemy just before, and in some cases they killed it and on the Switch they didn't. The video has other inconsistencies too, at one point when riding the cart it changes to PC vs. Switch footage but they don't line it up correctly, so you might think they're drastically different.

It's cool watching the water right at the start, you can really see the difference with the Special Edition shader kicking in. Higher resolution with all the little waves.

Also I totally forgot that the PS3 version of Skyrim didn't have trees moving in the breeze. That's such a bizarre omission, you can easily see it right there. Reminds me of next gen GTAV having the same problem (but patched quickly).

Dirty wrote: »

Don't get it, unless you really don't care about frame rate. It's bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcPybjk0Gg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgbehiNOZso

• Options
    Holy shit, that's really bad. I normally don't make a big deal about FPS, but even I have my limits. I guess I'll just play it on PS4 (which it was originally supposed to be exclusive to anyway ::shrug::).

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Holy shit, that's really bad. I normally don't make a big deal about FPS, but even I have my limits. I guess I'll just play it on PS4 (which it was originally supposed to be exclusive to anyway ::shrug::).

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of shit that bothers me when it comes to framerate. I don't care about 30 or 60, just keep it consistent. All that 60, oh shit 22, back to 44, erk 11, aha 60! can get right out.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Rime makes Breath of the Wild's Korok forest slide show extravaganza positively silky smooth in comparison. Yeesh.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Rime makes Breath of the Wild's Korok forest slide show extravaganza positively silky smooth in comparison. Yeesh.

Was the Korok forest that bad? I don't remember it standing out as awful. Weird...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Was the Korok forest that bad? I don't remember it standing out as awful. Weird...

it depended on time of day and what parts of the forest you were looking at, and if you were in handheld or not. they also patched it at one point to be slightly better

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular

It comes out this Friday the 17th.

I have to check for new releases as part of my job and that is one of them for that day.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Bluehole, the makers of Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, are working on a new IP that will be released on the Switch and PS4. It will be geared towards the asian market.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bluehole-developing-switch-ps4-title.6340/

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Korok Forest was probably the worst frame rate wise, but I didn't find it unplayable or anything. Rime doesn't look great.

edzepp on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    You didn't really do anything but walk around and talk to koroks in that area anyways.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That area did seem better going back there for the Trails of the Master Sword.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edzepp wrote: »
    Korok Forest was probably the worst frame rate wise, but I didn't find it unplayable or anything. Rime doesn't look great.

Even though it was imperfect, it didn't literally stutter like Rime does in those videos. And it's such a shame too, with the game being somewhat simple visually, what the heck is going on? Got to be some really deep engine difficulties or something.

• Options
    I'm gonna wait until after the holidays. Maybe Rime will get a performance patch between now and then. I probably wasn't going to start it before Christmas anyway. If it doesn't, at least it's cheaper on other consoles.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So, L.A. Noire is a good port, Skyrim looks good, Doom is a decent port. Good record on major 3rd party ports for the holiday season so far.

edzepp on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that forest shot in skyrim looks reeeeeeaaaaaaal bad

still going to buy it

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Nevermind, I am dumb.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    whoops I accidentally found myself in a gamestop tonight buying a switch and mario odyssey.

this thing is surpsingly comfortable to hold.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    whoops I accidentally found myself in a gamestop tonight buying a switch and mario odyssey.

this thing is surpsingly comfortable to hold.

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I really wish Tiny Metal and Battlechef Brigade were out this week instead of next. I have some bus traveling this weekend and I would really like to have something else to play besides Mario now that I'm in the post credits sequence.

edit: This would be a great time to get back into Zelda if it didn't mean lugging around the Wii U all weekend on a bus.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't know how well korok forest ran because I pulled out the master sword and immediately peaced out

This discussion has been closed.