As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate: Bracket 1

• Options
    Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Did you just say "confuse Brainiac"?

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Joker has to win the first one. Its the fucking Joker. Hes not going to be taken out in the first round.

Riddler and Braniac is a tough one. The field is tipped understandably to help Riddler, but still, Braniac is among the smartest minds in the fucking universe.

I would like to give the third match to Mandarin, just because Doomsday would plow through most of his opponents and it would be boring. I'm sorry for metagaming already.

The last one I'm giving to the Silver Samurai. Because of the aforementioed heat and rookie venom.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A: Joker. I didn't know Mary had actual powers. Still, Joker's got her way beat in insanity.
    B: Brainiac. C'mon, EMP nades aren't going to let Riddler beat Brainy. Riddler's only chance is to hit the center first, but I'm sure Brainy is faster.
    C: Mandarin. I'm not sure what exactly is Doomsday's status, but if Psycho can leash him, I'll give it to Mandarin's mind control ring. The disintigration beam won't do shit to him if it doesn't fry Iron Man in a fraction of a second.
    D: Silver Samurai. This is a loser Venom.

Scooter on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    Joker has to win the first one. Its the fucking Joker. Hes not going to be taken out in the first round.
    This is terrible logic.

Typhoid Mary is just as crazy but she can set him on fire with her mind.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As much as I want to vote for Joker, doesn't he get the crap beaten out of him a lot, by people weaker than her? Never read anything with her in it, by Pyrokinesis and Telekinesis sound like they put her above him.

Especially since there's no way he wouldn't try fucking with her before taking her out, so she'd have a chance to use both.

exit on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tbh I see that fight ending in sexy results

:winky:

Scooter on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The last time I read a Typhoid Mary story she walked up to Daredevil and set him on fire and it took Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and I think the Iron Fist to take her down.

All the time she was singing.

Also she had a sword and killed some people with it. She's awesome.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Joker knows how to fuck with crazy people. That's going to be his only edge in this fight. Typhoid also has a seduction power that lets her control men. But since Poison Ivy coulnd't control Joker, I dont think TM could either. He may act the part, get close enough, and take her out with the acid flower, though.

Hensler on
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Tbh I see that fight ending in sexy results

:winky:
    Joker and Mary unf. Joker pulls a fast one and acid flowers in the end

Walks off the playing field all nonchalant

Harley shoots him in the back cryin' 'bout her puddin'

lose-lose

exit on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    Who the hell nominated Gargan and not Brock?

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Who the hell nominated Gargan and not Brock?

Eddie Brock is dead!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    not sure, but I think I remember Doom saying all characters are at their current powerset. Venom is currently with Gargan, so I think Brock is out of the question. Not 100% sure about that though.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    In some incarnations, the symbiote (and, by extension, Venom) requires a certain chemical (most likely phenethylamine) to stay sane and healthy which has been said to be found abundantly in two sources: chocolate and human brain tissue. Thus, Venom is forced to steal/purchase large amounts of chocolate or become an unwilling cannibal who devours the brains of those he kills.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Eddie Brock is dead!

I thought he was brought back recently.

Munch on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    Well, he's not dead, but he's also not Venom, I guess.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does it really matter?

Gargan may not be super-experienced but the symbiote sure as hell is.

It seems like the only reason people are hating him is that he's not Brock, when in a straight fight, Gargan probably has the edge for the whole already-having-boosted-strength thing.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, Gargan has superhuman powers close to Spidey's without the symbiote. Seems like he would make a stronger Venom. A crappier Venom, but still stronger.

Hensler on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    He doesn't have the Scorpion suit on underneath the symbiote.

And the symbiote isn't a strategist. Experience doesn't mean anything beyond telling it who to hate.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Scorpion suit isn't the source of Gargan's super strength.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

The suit didn't enhance his strength. The chemicals that drove him crazy did.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

And the symbiote isn't a strategist. Experience doesn't mean anything beyond telling it who to hate.

It's intelligent enough to act on its own on a regular basis.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    The Scorpion suit isn't the source of Gargan's super strength.
    Whoops, my mistake.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Really, there's not much of a difference, except Gargan already had super-powers when he got the symbiote while Brock didn't.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, Spider-Man wasn't THAT much stronger with the symbiote.

Furthermore, if the symbiote retreats after lava spills onto Venom from a hole underneath him, Gargan is still a naked guy with lava hitting his body.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Yeah, Spider-Man wasn't THAT much stronger with the symbiote.

Furthermore, if the symbiote retreats after lava spills onto Venom from a hole underneath him, Gargan is still a naked guy with lava hitting his body.

Venom was stronger than Spider-Man though.

Also, hitting the lava is the only way I could see Venom losing this. That aside all he has to do is make sure he doesn't get sword'd.

EDIT: To clarify how I could see the match going:

1. Venom webs Samurai's sword arm to a wall.

2. Venom webs Samurai again and yanks him into some lava.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Can't forget that this Venom's also really stupid.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lava works both ways, guys.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Can't forget that this Venom's also really stupid.

And Brock was a rocket scientist?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    And Silver Samurai can teleport, and was trained in combat.

Brock was reasonably intelligent, but the symbiote kind of made him stupid for some reason.

I don't really understand that.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I know this is the type of reasoning I was bitching about in the hero tournament but I cannot in good conscious vote a guy who only exists to give Wolverine something Japanese-themed to beat on over Venom.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    I know this is the type of reasoning I was bitching about in the hero tournament but I cannot in good conscious vote a guy who only exists to give Wolverine something Japanese-themed to beat on over Venom.

Yeah, Japanese villain is nowhere near as brilliant as "How about an evil Spider-Man?"

Actually, it says Samurai debuted in Daredevil. Also, he got his teleportation rings from John Belushi.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    He may have debuted there, but that's pretty much what his whole purpose is.

When you have a sword that can cut through anything and can't win a fight, you're probably not doing that well.

Though APPARENTLY he was in a sentai-style superhero team once, though I'm not sure my love for the genre trumps my childhood affection of Venom.

All I'm saying is that considering how far into the Hero Tourney Spider-Man made it, it'd be a shame to see a character with the same exact power set wash out in the first round.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    He may have debuted there, but that's pretty much what his whole purpose is.

When you have a sword that can cut through anything and can't win a fight, you're probably not doing that well.

Though APPARENTLY he was in a sentai-style superhero team once, though I'm not sure my love for the genre trumps my childhood affection of Venom.

All I'm saying is that considering how far into the Hero Tourney Spider-Man made it, it'd be a shame to see a character with the same exact power set wash out in the first round.

Big Hero 6! Man, I loved that book. It just disappeared one day. I bought it because Sunfire was so cool in Age of Apocalypse, but I stayed for the lizard monster robot.

Hensler on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

venom pales terribly in comparison to spidey's super reflexes/fighting abilities. that's why can beat him blindfolded all the time now.

also, regarding the brock vs. gargan thing

gargan's just a punk. eddie is not. well...maybe he is NOW but for the majority of the original venom's duration, eddies was quite insane, making the suit that much more powerful. it runs purely on emotion and adreneline, which is why spidey's punches seemingly couldn't even phase venom during the early years. Back then the symbiote was completely insane as well (brains brains lol), making it even more lethal.

presently, both the host and the suit seem to be two idiot punks with super strength. it took spidey like...10 minutes to dispose of him during their first fight. conversely he got the living shits kicked out of him when fighting brock.

Guek on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match 1: Joker. Typhoid Mary may be a sadistic bitch with throwing knives and fire powers, but the Joker is the craziest bastard on the whole planet. He gets beat on a lot but he knows how to break someone down. I think if anyone could do that to Mary it would be the Joker.

Match 2: Riddler. I really really like the Riddler, and I know that Braniac is super strong and has an intellect so vast it cannot be expressed in words, but Riddler has human intuition and gut instinct. And like people have said mazes are a human creation and Riddler's made his own so there.

Match 3: Doomsday. I think he'd win. One good punch and Mandarin's head comes flying off.

Match 4: Samurai. Can cut thru anything, can teleport, and the fight takes place in a volcano. It's pretty cut and dry. (lol)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Gargan is arguably insaner than Brock.

I think I can chalk that fight up to Mark Millar being god awful at characterization.

Furu on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Joker has the first fight. Typhoid Mary's moderate insanity and superpowers are no match for the Joker's apparent super-insanity and weapons.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Joker would outsmart her for sure.

The whole Riddler/Braniac thing is interesting. If they meet up Braniac will destroy the Riddler, but I think the Riddler would be better at finding his way through the maze.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    cpiocpio Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know about the whole Brainiac not being good at mazes thing. I mean he is a god damn level 12 intelligence, and people are worried about him getting stuck in something mice can navigate? Granted it's a shame to see the Riddler go down so early, but I think Brainiac has that fight.

As for Doomsday vs. The Mandarin. I would almost rather see Mandarin win, because like a lot of people have mentioned, he could tear through half the people in the tournament without blinking, and thats just not too entertaining. The one major advantage Mandarin has over Doomsday is his intellect. Doomsday is unstoppable but he is about as intelligent as a school bus. Not to mention the Mandarin has a portable justice league strapped to his hands.

Joker wins.

Samurai vs. Venom.. eh.. if it wasn't in the volcano I might give it to Venom, but since it's a less experienced venom fighting a teleporting ninja a few feet away from one of his biggest weaknesses then I'll have to go with Samurai.

cpio on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's not that Braniac is bad at mazes, it's just that that kind of thing seems perfectly suited to the way the Riddler thinks.

-SPI- on