As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

mister police. you could have saved her. I gave you all the [MOVIES]

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    if you ever encountered someone from the 18th century who wanted to know what a movie was, you could do worse than to show them Orient Express if it was all you had on hand

@YaYa, going the other way, what would be the best movie to introduce someone from the 18th century to cinema?

Huh? HUH????

12 Angry Men.

It is a very simple movie with 12 guys in a single room the whole time but also a good story.

I feel anything more would just overwhelm and possibly hurt someone from the 18th century.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I would show them Avatar

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I actually didn't mind Fantastic Beasts, but I saw it months after release and really had no expectations for it. As something to watch on an airplane, I didn't hate it.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I rather liked Beasts, at the very least the setting, but it was like two movies trying to be one, and it really suffered. You had one side of dark wizard intrigue, abuse, and demonic hellspawn kinda stuff, and then the adventures of a wacky dude trying to catch wacky animals by performing a wacky mating dance. Uh, okay.

Besides pushing Fogler's character into play, you can cut Scamander out entirely and won't lose much except the title making less sense.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I really dug a lot of what Fantastic Beasts tried to do

I just didn't care about the "fantastic beasts" part

But yes more early 20th century wizard shit in general please

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    That sure is one Johnny Depp ass looking Johnny Depp character.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Beasts ending spoiler
    The Depp reveal at the end made me retroactively hate the film. Colin did a great job and to my knowledge isn't a total creep!

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Is Rowling still writing these or is she just approving the script?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    if you ever encountered someone from the 18th century who wanted to know what a movie was, you could do worse than to show them Orient Express if it was all you had on hand

@YaYa, going the other way, what would be the best movie to introduce someone from the 18th century to cinema?

Huh? HUH????

Blade Runner 2049

Just hammer them with weird synth soundtrack that blasts the speakers off the walls, a vision of the horrific dystopian nightmare future that awaits, and the fact that it's a sequel to a different movie they have no context for.

Lean into the nightmare.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Huh? HUH????

12 Angry Men.

It is a very simple movie with 12 guys in a single room the whole time but also a good story.

I feel anything more would just overwhelm and possibly hurt someone from the 18th century.

This assumes that someone from the 18th century has a basic understanding of the American judicial process, which seems fairly unlikely.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't have a basic understanding of 12th or 16th century royal court behavior but I can still puzzle out Macbeth

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I think "they're in charge of deciding that man's fate" is a conclusion someone from the enlightenment era could've teased out

mrpaku on
    What about The Princess Bride? Other than the Fred Savage scenes, it seems like it's a good choice for them.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Beasts ending spoiler
    The Depp reveal at the end made me retroactively hate the film. Colin did a great job and to my knowledge isn't a total creep!

not only that but:
    Colin's fake motivation made him a sympathetic villain

Then whoops no its a wife abuser and also he just lied and really hes just an evil murderer for no real reason, yaaaay

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Huh? HUH????

12 Angry Men.

This assumes that someone from the 18th century has a basic understanding of the American judicial process, which seems fairly unlikely.

I mean it will be more understandable than throwing giant CG dinosaurs at them with helicopters and car chases and such.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Well, yeah

My pick would probably be like, Seven Samurai

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

YaYa, going the other way, what would be the best movie to introduce someone from the 18th century to cinema?

Huh? HUH????

12 Angry Men.

Straightzi wrote: »
    Well, yeah

My pick would probably be like, Seven Samurai

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. If you want them to understand movies, have them watch Home Alone. Physical humor and laughing at the suffering of the unjust are universal.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Three musketeers, Oliver platt version. Don't tell them it's a comedy.

I’d also show like Waterloo or Glory or just episodes of Sharpe, depending on what time they were from.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Show them Eraserhead

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

History of the World, Part 1.

I’d also show like Waterloo or Glory or just episodes of Sharpe, depending on what time they were from.

Honestly, Master and Commander wouldn't be the worst idea if you just wanted something sane and relatable.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Saving Private Ryan WW2 films in general

"Hey, look at the fucking awful way we treat each other. Can you work on avoiding that, please?"

Fawst on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think if you show them anything more stimulating than Dora the Explorer they'll straight up have a panic attack

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    ...I actually think Home alone might be a really good call

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah there's all those stories about people freaking out when they first showed that film of a train approaching towards the camera right

BahamutZERO.gif
    Labyrinth.

Just go for it.

Oh shit that monkey wears Boots and can talk! And he's multilingual!

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    yeah there's all those stories about people freaking out when they first showed that film of a train approaching towards the camera right

Show that train coming at the camera but in 4K HDR

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

They referenced that in Civ V.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I like that you call it the oliver platt version and not the chris O'Donnell version

Gustav wrote: »

Oh man this looks GREAT

one of the things I really love about supernatural horror movies is extremely defined rules for how the monster works

Like, It Follows is so so good for this

Here is what it does

Here is how you stay ok

Don't fuck up

That looks to be in that vein, and the tension comes not from "when will it jump out of the bushes", but from "when will they fuck up the rules", which is much more interesting to me

Shorty wrote: »

I like that you call it the oliver platt version and not the chris O'Donnell version

The way a movie is billed by the studio is rarely the way it is billed in my head

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

James Franco will now only be in things if he can be in them several times at once

6F32U1X.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I am all the way down for that

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jamie Madrox is quietly the best X-Men character for a filmed adaptation so fuck yes

CYpGAPn.png
    One of those multiple men turns out to be Dave Franco and everyone is just the most confused.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Show them Delicatessen

Shorty wrote: »

The way a movie is billed by the studio is rarely the way it is billed in my head

I just want to make it clear that I think of it the same way

except sometimes I call it the one with Oliver Platt and Michael Wincott

This discussion has been closed.