As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited January 2019 in Social Entropy++
Woah, woah, WOAH. Hold up a sec.

16999239_340497286345256_3126583543407667659_n.jpg

Roboute Guilliman is not only back, and leading a new mega crusade for the Imperium? When the hell did this happen? Why is everything so cool? How will this eventually go grimdark? And please lore nerds get me back up to speed with what's actually happening to the different 40k races in the most recent "current" 41st-42nd millennium story line. Because I haven't been this hyped since Dawn of War II hit.

manwiththemachinegun on

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Just starting work so I can’t post anything thorough but 8th edition is pushing the story forward.

Shoot Battletech is finally pushing it’s story forward too.

Exciting times.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Truly, the end times are upon us.

Last I left off, Cadia was still locked in a losing stalemate, the Blood Angels were defending their homeworld against the Tyranids, and the Necrons had new Pharaohs.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    quick somebody summarize the past all of 40k lore for me

I hear there was an emperor and also chaos

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Truly, the end times are upon us.

Last I left off, Cadia was still locked in a losing stalemate, the Blood Angels were defending their homeworld against the Tyranids, and the Necrons had new Pharaohs.

Thirteenth Black Crusade spoiler
    Cadia is gone. Destroyed after Abaddon put engines on the remains of a blackstone fortress and hurled them towards the planet.

I read entirely too much Lexicanum.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

in the grim dark bo bark banana fana fo farkness of the 41st millenial, there is only burnt avocado toast

BahamutZERO.gif
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So I may have made it through the first...15 books of horus heresy because of the humble bundle. I actually really liked Dan Abnetts stuff (about the IG interacting with the Alpha legion, and the remembrancer leeman russ's fenrisians took in) Any other recommendations? I'm curious about the salamanders and the iron whatevers, but honestly I don't need another book of glistening muscles and shootybangs. I really appreciated the later books that had a point, even if it was a simple one like "the unrestrained quest for knowledge may lead you bad places" or "those savages might not be so savage"

I knew the HH series was going to be a loooong haul, so I opted out. But I'm glad that Dan and others are still writing them.

I knew the HH series was going to be a loooong haul, so I opted out. But I'm glad that Dan and others are still writing them.

Honestly most of them were not even particularly good junk food reading.

• TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Last time GW advanced a gameline's plot they squatted the entire Old World and replaced it with Age of Sigmar

They do not deserve anyone's confidence or even the benefit of the doubt

Gamertag- Travan7838

Travan wrote: »
    Last time GW advanced a gameline's plot they squatted the entire Old World and replaced it with Age of Sigmar

They do not deserve anyone's confidence or even the benefit of the doubt

Nah, with how much GW had changed over the last couple of years I’m perfectly happy giving them some confidence, thanks.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I don't think they'll nuke the 40k setting, it doesn't have the same problems Fantasy Battle had

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know little about the AOs plot and have bits and pieces of the transition from Warhammer to AoS.
    I know of someone's rage over of it as they were one of the few people I knew played Warhammer.

They did it better with 40k though it seemed they learned their lesson.

I quite like the Ynnari it's what I have always wanted with the aeldari

KetBra wrote: »
    I don't think they'll nuke the 40k setting, it doesn't have the same problems Fantasy Battle had

40k makes money.

Fantasy didn’t, now it does.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That's exactly what I meant

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    That's exactly what I meant

Ah gotcha, I thought you meant more narrative based issues

edited February 2019
    Warhammer fans, continuing to make the torturous death of all good and evil worthwhile.

a24yz5Y_700b.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

40k makes money.

Fantasy didn’t, now it does.

Plus now fantasy is probably making more money as a setting for video games than it did as a war game. I assume partially as that license became cheaper and more open once they killed it.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still wish 40k had a cheaper option like fantasy and total war.

So, after looking for this new codex, I all found was a bunch of deleted GW links and some books for sale on Ebay? Is it out of print or something? It said it just got released this year?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    They're currently rolling out new codexes and they haven't done all of them yet.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2017
    Brolo wrote: »

There was a emperor and he was cool and shit until half of his weird clone sons betrayed him. He won but he now has to be on assisted living and is hooked up to some kind of iron lung that runs on human souls. Also people worship him as a god now even though he didn't want to be and now humanity is basically the medieval Catholic church on steroids.

Within the Imperium there's the Space Marines, who are basically genetically modified with these sons' genes or some shit. They have like 15 hearts and are super soldiers. Then there's the Imperial Guard, who are just normal humans. There's a LOT of them, and they're mostly fodder, either choking the enemy on their dead or lasting long enough for tanks and artillery to blow them the fuck up. Last (not really last, but the Imperium has like 500 sub-factions) there's the Sisters of Battle because 40k is a nerd hobby so of course girls couldn't be Space Marines and needed their own army. They're basically the Church's personal army, created via a loophole saying the church could have no MEN of arms could be under the church after a spat it had with other factions within the Imperium. So they're basically augmented nuns with flamethrowers.

There are orks who live to just fight and care about nothing else. They grow via spores and thus are hard to eliminate fully, their machines work simply through belief, and the only thing preventing them from taking over the galaxy is that they love fighting each other just as much as anyone else.

The clone sons that betrayed their dad fucked off into another dimension and worship some fucked up gods. Every so often they go back home to fuck people's shit up and be jerks. Faction of maybe one of the best guys in the franchise. He's a swell dude.

The fucked up gods have their own army that's a colorful cast of demons. They want to kill most everything, and that's honestly all you need to know about MOST armies in Warhammer 40k.

Eldar are basically space elves whom have been around forever. They created one of the aforementioned fucked-up gods when their society entered a golden age and they spent all day getting high and having orgies. yes, they created a literal god through shear force of fucking. Now there's two factions, regular prudish eldar who denounce the old ways, and dark eldar who are serious kinksters that raid locations for more drugs and possibly slaves.

Necrons are an even older race that had short life spans. They turned to some other ancient entity that said it would make a deal with them in exchange for extending their lives. Because that always works out. Now they're encased in robotic bodies and basically slaves with the goal of wiping out all life in the galaxy. Now they're buried in various places and notoriously hard to kill.

Tau are a young race and basically space communists if written by a capitalist. They're also pretty anime but instead of gunpla they just build their own mechs. They have a shitty caste system, enforce sterilization on outside races they're allied with, and have a diplomatic policy of "join us or die." A willingness to work with other races in any capacity makes them one of the nicest factions in the setting.

Tyranids are space bugs from a neighboring galaxy. They want to eat everything and basically jump from planet to planet harvesting every scrap of usable material from it, leaving cold dead husks. They're very adaptable despite having no discernable technology, and there's no telling how many of them there truly are.

Squats do not exist, never existed, and I'm not even sure why I brought them up here.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    There's also a group of genetically engineered, cybernetic power armor enhanced Space Marines who are semi-permanently stuck in space-hell, and randomly appear to slaughter the enemies of man before disappearing like ghosts, and they are skeletons and also on fire.

It's pretty great.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    space lizards when

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Warhammer 40K: The Best Time You'll Have Not Playing a Tabletop Game

YL9WnCY.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    space lizards when
    I used a spare lizardman head on my Tau. It looked pretty neat. I'm not the best painter, but I love mashing together models and I am super proud of my future lizardman reloading a grenade launcher.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    40k lore justifies its constant retcons and inconsistencies sorta like The Elder Scrolls does, in that everything is gleaned from an ever shifting mass of in-universe literature and histories that are not to be taken at face value

the "Orks believe their machines work, so they do" thing might be real psychic enhancements to cobbled together machines, or it might be that Imperial scientists studying Ork tech only ever get it in beaten up and malfunctioning condition. who knows?

the series used this to its advantage in recharacterizing the Necrons from non-descript terminator robots that would randomly pop in and out of Imperial space, into an outright ancient alien race of competing Egyptian-esque warlords

Hmm, so after some reading it seems like this is a pretty good shake up. The Imperium has been split in half due to a warp rift, but it's also rallying behind some effective leadership. I'm pretty excited to see how this plays out.

Yeah, overall I like it.

Not a big fan of the primaris marines because I don’t like things getting better in 40k, but, I can’t win them all.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What's up with Eisenhorn?

That dude is nuts.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    It's also been a year since Games Workshop really started pushing in to social media and actual community engagement:

7s6q6lwmnpkq.jpg

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    their social media game has been on point.

like, scarily so.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Moriveth wrote: »
    What's up with Eisenhorn?

That dude is nuts.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt. Sadly true in his case.

Dubh wrote: »
    space lizards when

They call 'em grox, and they're good eatin'.

More seriously, the lack of Lizardmen and Skaven equivalents in 40K always makes me sad. Especially as the Lizardmen already have some crazy future tech as essentially ancient artifacts. Like Kroq-gar's laser hand. I might be running Black Crusade soon and I personally plan to shove in future lizardmen as antagonists at some point.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm still sad and angry that FFG lost the 40k license

Yeah, I'm hoping whatever new stuff gets produced are good, but I had a ton of fun with FFG's 40K RPGs. Especially Rogue Trader, that one is always a treat to introduce to people.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Didn't Tzeentch depower himself or something to keep the great game running?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm still sad and angry that FFG lost the 40k license

Really if it's because we got a better Gw think it's acceptable
    To know in the space of a year it went from this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8

To this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbepSuA0aYo

To this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAPbWbglps
    Really I had no idea how to paint necron vehicles I thought it was a dark green and a ton of wash
    Their facebook plays along with people
    I like watching Duncan the robot paint as it solves a lot of problems and questions I had about certain looks or had no idea how they got that look

Weaver wrote: »
    Didn't Tzeentch depower himself or something to keep the great game running?

He had the power of every spell in existence, but the other gods were about ready to unite against him because of that shit. So he surrendered his knowledge of his spells to avoid that messy affair.

And then since he's Tzeentch he dispatched some daemons as part of a convoluted plan to recollect all his missing spells.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Basically if you want some fun in your grimdark check out nurgle and tzeentch daemons.
    GW-Games-Workshop-Age-of-Sigmar-Blightwar-4.jpg
    99819915027_BlueScribes01.jpg

edited November 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    Basically if you want some fun in your grimdark check out nurgle and tzeentch daemons.
    GW-Games-Workshop-Age-of-Sigmar-Blightwar-4.jpg
    99819915027_BlueScribes01.jpg

I love the lore for the latter tzeentch daemons. One can write any spell but can't actually read, while the other can read it out to cast it but has no idea what it says. So it could be wildly destructive, or make a pile of feathers twitch. Like a magic sitcom couple.

QuantumTurk on
This discussion has been closed.