As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stand Up Comedy Thread

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Bob Newhart!

I adore the bit about the first explorer to have coffee.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Patton Oswalt is a guy that started out as one of my favorites, then I soured in him because of his aggression on twitter and defense of shitty comedy, but now I’m back around to liking him again because after the horrible death of his wife he seems to be much less aggressive and more introspective about his comedy and it’s effects on people.

I need to watch his new special.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    I saw Jim Norton when he was starting out and thought he was hilarious.

I was a real asshole back then, I guess.

His new special on Netflix is pretty good. Liking a specific comic doesn't make you an asshole.

steam_sig.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The first comedian I saw live was Lewis Black and though it was hilarious I always think how his act must be exhausting.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I saw Jim Norton when he was starting out and thought he was hilarious.

I was a real asshole back then, I guess.

His new special on Netflix is pretty good. Liking a specific comic doesn't make you an asshole.

I don't like him at all now. A lot of the comedians I grew up enjoying turned out to be pretty gross people after the internet became a thing, and you could easily learn about them.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    There are a lot of bad people who are also funny.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just listened to Donald Glover's Weirdo.

That was solid comedy.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Bill Burr has a pretty even split between things I find hilarious and things that make me emit loud whining groans

He's very very funny but he says some shit

6F32U1X.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Obligatory Bo Burnham plug here as well. I don't super love his older stuff but "what." and "Make Happy" are both really excellent.

I understand that he's probably really funny but I tried to watch a Bo Burnham set and peaced out after about ten minutes of funny noises.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    He's an unusual comedian, yeah.

3cl1ps3 on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Musical comedy is probably a blind spot for me. Play a piano and make some silly rhymes? You got me.

Unless you're that weirdo dressed in the American flag on PBS.

3clipse wrote: »
    He's an unusual comedian, yeah.

And that's actually a great thing, it was just right in whatever the opposite of my sweet spot was. I'll check him out again sometimes for sure though.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm listening to Ron Funches now.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

That was solid comedy.

Was that the one with the Home Depot toilet story?

Ron Funches seems like he'd be such a cool dude to shoot the shit with.

rhylith wrote: »

That was solid comedy.

Was that the one with the Home Depot toilet story?

Yup

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    no but seriously what is the deal with airline food

High altitudes restrict our sense of smell, which has a big impact on how food tastes :+1:

PSN- AHermano
    edited November 2017
    There are some really annoying laughers in the crowd of this Ron Funches special

There's someone literally yelling, HA

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Bill Burr has a pretty even split between things I find hilarious and things that make me emit loud whining groans

Yep. You've got funny bits like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9iYvyffAh4

And then there's bits like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF4I2mCofZc

Watched some of the new DeRay Davis special last night. It was kinda funny but definitely not aimed at me (which is a good thing, comedy should be diverse and if not everything appeals to straight white guys then it's working as intended).

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I also saw Nick Offerman live the other weekend and it was amazing. He came out with no announcement, no fanfare, no opener. We were just sitting there talking and then all of a sudden he was on stage jumping right into his opening monologue.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    i can't stand take stand up anymore

but i still love tig nataro and maria bamford

824465507afdb19574c77c7624582e0c--female-comedians-bamford.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Musical comedy is probably a blind spot for me. Play a piano and make some silly rhymes? You got me.

Unless you're that weirdo dressed in the American flag on PBS.

Do you know about Tom Lehrer? I'll assume you do, but just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I also saw Nick Offerman live the other weekend and it was amazing. He came out with no announcement, no fanfare, no opener. We were just sitting there talking and then all of a sudden he was on stage jumping right into his opening monologue.

He's only been doing stand up for about 2 years now but it's pretty solid. I think he leans a bit much into a Ron Swanson persona for it though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

Both hillarious.

steam_sig.png
    Ehhh maybe his Netflix special, but his new tour Full Bush was very much separate from Swanson. In fact he closed with a song called I'm not Ron Swanson.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited November 2017

Both hillarious.

yeah i love how he mocks people concerned about domestic violence while adopting the stereotypical gay lisp.

what a fucking master of his god damn craft jesus christ

Magic Pink on
    It's amazing how many comics attempt to use the word rape in jokes.

It always makes me cringe and its never funny

Peen wrote: »

man I fucking adore Tom Lehrer. he was decades ahead of his time

I think a lot of them are doing it nowadays because of the backlash of people saying that rape is never funny. They take it as a challenge to make a funny rape joke, some succeed and some fail.

steam_sig.png

I think a lot of them are doing it nowadays because of the backlash of people saying that rape is never funny. They take it as a challenge to make a funny rape joke, some succeed and some fail.

i have yet to see a single one succeed or NOT be male.

It sucks too because it will be a great comedy album and then bam! Random rape joke.

I can't remember what the last one to do that was... I don't think it was Funches

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the only funny sort-of rape joke from a male comic I've ever heard was John Mulaney's joke about accidentally chasing the woman in the subway. And I don't know if it qualifies as a rape joke, since the joke wasn't about rape, it was about how they both were harmed by ambient toxic masculinity. I think.

KalTorak wrote: »
    the only funny sort-of rape joke from a male comic I've ever heard was John Mulaney's joke about accidentally chasing the woman in the subway. And I don't know if it qualifies as a rape joke, since the joke wasn't about rape, it was about how they both were harmed by ambient toxic masculinity. I think.

This is a great joke but when he says rape I still cringe.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

This is a great joke but when he says rape I still cringe.

Same;
    (picking apart a joke)
    however, they used a version of it for his (sadly terrible) Fox sitcom in a Seinfeld-style standup intro, and he said "murder" instead of rape, which blunted the joke. Not because it took away shock value (the humor of the joke never came from shock); the core of the joke is the differences in perception of the situation between him (seeing himself as a non-threatening child), the woman (seeing him as a threatening adult man), and the non-present threatening adult man. The hypothetical adult man perceives a potential victim, the woman sees a potential attacker, and John sees a completely neutral setting without thinking about danger, and acts the way he does because he's privileged enough to not think about danger in that situation.

While women also fear murder more than men would in that situation, it's not as far from John's child-mind as the possibility of rape is; earlier in the bit he talks about being perceived as an adult while still having child-like fears of being kidnapped. The realization "oh yeah, adults murder each other" isn't as funny because he's not as oblivious to the danger of being murdered as he would be to the danger of being raped. More importantly (IMO), it lessens the message that the fear in that situation is so commonplace to women while being completely alien to men.

In any case, it was not a good choice of bit to use in that part of the show; just one of many mistakes that killed that show basically before it started.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Someone on Youtube posted the HBO special I remember from my childhood! I don't think there's anything in there sensitive on my first listen, but if there is I sincerely apologize (like some have mentioned, comedy sometimes ages poorly in terms of subject matter.) Obviously plenty of language in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdefhHw7e6o

I'm really enjoying Gary Gulman

But he did use the word rape right in the beginning of one of his specials. It was a situation where he could have used a lot of other words too.

Wyatt Cenac is completely my jam