As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So is there an unofficial unofficial patch that undoes all the changes people feel went too far in the unofficial patch?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I have never once in my life used an unofficial patch because of the stupid changes they do thats completely unrelated to anything but the authors feels.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Honestly the changes in the unofficial patch are rather inconsequential things. Especially when weighed against the mountain of bug fixes it provides. Most of them I don't even notice and when I do it is usually something random like changing the color of something.

Now the type of mods I do hate are the ones that fix or add something really useful, but then also do something like give all the merchants a million gold or whatever. Like, "Hey this mod adds well done and well balanced samurai armor. Oh also Fus Ro Dah now instantly kills everything."

Luckily they are few and far between, but man when I come across one I like it can be annoying.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would maybe be more willing to play unofficial patches if I had not been radicalised by VTM Bloodlines.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Every time the question of fan patches comes up, i think about the notorious VTM Bloodlines fan patch.

From what I understand, though, that patch made much more radical changes that the Unofficial [some Elder Scrolls game] Patches, right? The Elder Scrolls fan patches are like "Removed a stale piece of bread from a trash can, changed Johnny the Orc's eye color from green to blue", while the Bloodlines fan patch is like "Your character is no longer a vampire".

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I ain't going to say that patch is perfect. But the latest version did add shortcuts for the four worst parts of the game. Getting to skip the majoirty of the Hollywood sewers was pretty great.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Nexus has got to be one of the worst hosted sites I've used. It constantly times out.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I think the most "egregious" thing was moving some partially underground shrubs above ground. The suggestion being that partially submerged shrubs and trees were a cheap way to create variety of appearance and therefore intended.

Nexus has got to be one of the worst hosted sites I've used. It constantly times out.

I think that might be down to the connection somewhere between you and it, cause i've literally never had that issue.

Buttcleft wrote: »

I think that might be down to the connection somewhere between you and it, cause i've literally never had that issue.

Well, I've always had timeout issues, whether I was on the east coast or west.

It's something to do with their CDN, it looks like. It can never decide which site to deliver from, so spends a ponderous amount of time trying to figure that out.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    VTM Bloodlines.

GOD DAMMIT

::reinstalls::

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think the most "egregious" thing was moving some partially underground shrubs above ground. The suggestion being that partially submerged shrubs and trees were a cheap way to create variety of appearance and therefore intended.

Nope. There's a mine that in the base game is a great source of one of the high end ores.

They decided to turn all the nodes to iron ore.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    So... I'm utterly behind on my new game rumors for every genre. Will there be a new Elder Scrolls game in the next year or so? A new Fallout one?

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Korhedron wrote: »
    So... I'm utterly behind on my new game rumors for every genre. Will there be a new Elder Scrolls game in the next year or so? A new Fallout one?

The team is supposedly working on a Space-based game with some kind of mobile space station / city. New IP. Probably announced and released next year, they had subtle hints to it in their last E3 presentation.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Korhedron wrote: »

The team is supposedly working on a Space-based game with some kind of mobile space station / city. New IP. Probably announced and released next year, they had subtle hints to it in their last E3 presentation.

I can only imagine the flaming mass of bugs that will result, but Bethesda's open world wackiness with settlement building in space and maybe upgrading your space station sounds addictive.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I thought the settlement building in Fallout 4 was a bit too finicky. For some reason I could never quite manage to line all the pieces up just right, even if they were variations of the exact same junk wall. The first person perspective didn't really help smooth out construction either.

I think I actually enjoyed home building in Skyrim more. Sure, everything was predetermined, but it all worked easily and it looked good.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

My 'favourite' is the terrible amateur VO they gave to Mirmulnir instead of cutting the probably-bugged subtitles.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I thought the settlement building in Fallout 4 was a bit too finicky. For some reason I could never quite manage to line all the pieces up just right, even if they were variations of the exact same junk wall. The first person perspective didn't really help smooth out construction either.

I think I actually enjoyed home building in Skyrim more. Sure, everything was predetermined, but it all worked easily and it looked good.

Some of the pieces just would not line up completely. There were some staircases with floors that would not line up to roof pieces around them if you were making towers.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    SKSE has updated for the current version for those that are waiting.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I really hope the next version of TES includes actually worthwhile logging so that you can see exactly why the game crashed. Event Viewer is worthless, and I have yet to figure out why some things crash. And I'm talking about in Vanilla Skyrim. Not even when you add mods and it crashes because you're trying to loot a beehive.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wouldn't count on it as it's almost certain to be another console port. But maybe they'll surprise us!

By releasing the game next year...bwhahahahha.

I just got Skyrim SE up and running with SKSE and some basic mods. (SkyUI, Sophia companion, various graphics enhancements etc)

Its also been a while since I modded, soo.. Penny-Arcade. Tell me what mods to install.

I'll install whatever you tell me, no matter how ridiculous or obsurd. Just post the link .

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I just got Skyrim SE up and running with SKSE and some basic mods. (SkyUI, Sophia companion, various graphics enhancements etc)

Its also been a while since I modded, soo.. Penny-Arcade. Tell me what mods to install.

I'll install whatever you tell me, no matter how ridiculous or obsurd. Just post the link .

You are really opening yourself up for some horror, my friend.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Any of you peoples try the psvr version?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Fleeb wrote: »

I said special edition, not original.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Maybe don’t be rude.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is the PSVR version digital only?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    In all seriousness:

smilodon combat
    Diverse dragons/werewolves/other stuff by same author
    Rhinos of Skyrim/vargr (again same author)
    SIMM
    Skyrim flora overhaul
    Climates of tamriel
    Arthmoors npc behavior, bugfix, and town mods (mostly everything of his but open cities)
    calthrop’s port of the insanitysorrow weapons pack and unique uniques (there’s also a meltdown extension that makes the new weapons compatible with the takedown feature of arthmoors smithing mod if that sounds desirable)
    Gamwich’s rustic/ethereal textures
    Bellyache’s creature pack (vanilla version)

Thats my general starting point for a vanilla playthrough

Jealous Deva on
    In all seriousness:

smilodon combat
    SIMM
    Skyrim flora overhaul
    Climates of tamriel
    Arthmoors npc behavior, bugfix, and town mods (mostly everything of his but open cities)
    calthrop’s port of the insanitysorrow weapons pack and unique uniques (there’s also a meltdown extension that makes the new weapons compatible with the takedown feature of arthmoors smithing mod if that sounds desirable)

Thanks, downloaded almost all those. Didnt get the climate one cause i have oneo f those, and dont know what SIMM is (searching SIMM returned nothing.)

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nope. There's a mine that in the base game is a great source of one of the high end ores.

They decided to turn all the nodes to iron ore.
    TamerBill wrote: »
    My 'favourite' is the terrible amateur VO they gave to Mirmulnir instead of cutting the probably-bugged subtitles.

I posted some other ones earlier in this thread (from others' posts on reddit):
    I can think of one example that I've encountered that seemed pretty subjective. In vanilla there is a clear progression of dragons, normal -> blood -> frost -> elder -> ancient. Each dragon occurs twice with two different breath attacks, except the frost dragon which obviously uses frost breath for both of its LeveledActor entries. This distribution allows the player to encounter every visibly distinct species with equal likelihood, assuming the player/cell/spawn is of sufficient level.
    But after USLEEP, the second copy of Frost dragon has been replaced by a weakened version of the Elder dragon. As a result, you are 3 times more likely to encounter an Elder dragon than a Frost dragon. It's made even worse by the fact that Beth used the same mesh for the Ancient dragon, presumably as a last minute addition. So you are 5 times more likely to encounter that mesh than the Frost mesh. USLEEP's reasoning seems to be that players care more about which breath a dragon is using than its appearance/name. Whether or not that's true seems like a matter of opinion. AFAIK there is no associated bug being fixed by this change. The other possible explanation is that this was intended to restore the rank 3 fire dragon that had been cut from the game, but that would mean this should be part of Cutting Room Floor rather than USLEEP. Especially since the dragon doesn't have it's own model.
    The patch changes stuff not necessary broken, for example Aval Atheron, he's a shady merchant that sells any kind of goods in Windhelm, the patch makes him a food vendor just because he has a food stall. Some people don't like these kinds of changes.

And at one point I had browsed through the patch notes and found a bunch of really stupid changes:
    Naked NPCs should no longer chastise the player for also being naked. (WICommentNaked) (Bug #19503)
    I'd classify this fix as a No Fun Allowed.
    Susanna the Wicked was never provided a proper burial urn in the Hall of the Dead. (Bug #19396) [NR]
    Well, I mean, she was wicked. Who are we to deem who deserves to be buried in the Hall or not?
    In Unfathomable Depths (MS04), From-Deepest-Fathoms has a dialogue line that was given a post process effect that was improperly used. The dialogue line containing it has been blocked off since it cannot be fixed. (Bug #19393)
    Wha? One of his lines is a little echoey or something so you got rid of it entirely? What the heck?
    Lisbet's statue should not remain in her inventory after Lisbet's Missing Shipment (FreeformMarkarthE). (Bug #19121)
    Why shouldn't it? I just gave it to her. Where else is she going to put it? Sometimes it's fun to give NPCs what they're looking for and then immediately pickpocket it back.
    The new shouts added by Dawnguard were never inserted into the formlist used by the "letter from a friend" event trigger. (Bug #17867)
    This is the letter you get after using the Thu'um in a town and someone directs you to a word wall. Maybe the devs didn't want any breadcrumbs in the base game to direct you to DLC areas before you're led there by their main quest? At least one of the Dawnguard walls is pretty hard to get to unless you're already halfway through it.
    CreatureDeer: "The wilds of Skyrim are teeming with deer." -> "The wilds of Skyrim are teeming with deer and elk." (Bug #18925)
    Load screen text. Is this kind of minutia really necessary?
    [Dozens of individual entries] Tree thickets that are the wrong type for the climate. (Bug #18705)
    Maybe all those were hand-placed by devs to provide a little interesting scenery and break up the monotony of seeing the same trees everywhere. It's still all Skyrim, any sort of tree could probably grow anywhere in the area.
    [More individual entries] Snowberry bushes almost completely buried in the ground. (Bug #18707)
    Maybe the intent was for them to look like smaller bushes, or a couple small scattered plants in the area instead of the same old full plant you see everywhere. Just one trick in the devs' toolbox to vary the foliage, along with scaling and rotating... Yeah you don't want manmade objects clipping, but plants? What's next, making sure no rocks intersect?
    Ildari's Robes (DLC2IldariRobes) were carelessly duplicated from a playable set of Telvanni Robes and should not have been allowed to be looted by the player due to the sequence where her heart gets ripped out. (Bug #17930)
    But it's really hard to get Telvanni Robes otherwise. This is one of the only ones you can get without messing with major friendly NPCs. They look cool and are a nice reward to get after killing her and completing that series of quests. I don't really care that there's no giant hole in the middle of the robes.
    TreasCorpseCWImperialFemale and TreasCorpseCWImperialMale will now be appropriately labled as "Imperial Soldier" instead of just "Corpse". (Bug #17194)
    But...they're already dead. Isn't this inconsistent with other already-dead bodies? Burnt and desiccated corpses aren't labeled "villager" or "Bosmer" or whatever. Who am I to assume they were soldiers in life, just based on the gear they're wearing?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    God, it's almost like the people who are professional developers did somethings on purpose and a few hobbyist modders might not know the reasoning behind those things. It's just so silly that the unoffical patch is required by a few other good mods, and that patch is so packed with personal choices you can't undo.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    In all seriousness:

smilodon combat
    SIMM
    Skyrim flora overhaul
    Climates of tamriel

Thanks, downloaded almost all those. Didnt get the climate one cause i have oneo f those, and dont know what SIMM is (searching SIMM returned nothing.)

Sorry, I misspelled it. Static Mesh Improvement mod.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is the PSVR version digital only?

no you can get hard copies.

one comes in the new v2 psvr goggle bundles.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    In all seriousness:

smilodon combat
    SIMM
    Skyrim flora overhaul
    Climates of tamriel

Sorry, I misspelled it. Static Mesh Improvement mod.

First thing i downloaded, haha.

Skyrim Switch is really not a bad port.

tumblr_ozmi4aPiDD1svx1aeo2_1280.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Any of you peoples try the psvr version?
    I've got it. It's pretty good, despite PSVR's fairly low resolution. Eurogamer did a stream showing it off, four hours long, but I'd just watch the last hour FWIW:

I like how they added the ability to take arrows out of your shield when you're using the move controllers. And the swimming mechanic is neat, if a bit tiring.
    The only thing stopping me from playing longer than two hours at a time is the front of the headset starts to dig into my brow.
    I turned off all of the 'comfort' settings, like the vignetting, I find I don't need them.

Only downside to Skyrim VR:
    It's kind of pointless to spend too long customizing your character, since you now never see how you look, it's exclusively locked to the FPPOV, even when you sit down.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    My concern is that some of the anger I'm seeing is about something that Bethesda might do, maybe, in the future. I understand looking at trends and extrapolating and predicting, and getting upset about possible futures (especially probable futures), but I would prefer to see if they become reality before railing against Bethesda.

For now, I'm content to rail against them for auto-downloading the Creative Club assets on PCs (which is just so phenomenally dumb).

I can't think of a better way to make them not doing it than by letting them know before they do it that it will piss people off

Zilla360 wrote: »
    It's kind of pointless to spend too long customizing your character, since you now never see how you look, it's exclusively locked to the FPPOV, even when you sit down.

Hmm, I can remember quite a few moments that used to take you out of first person view. I wonder if this means enemies can no longer ragdoll you. Or what happens when you jump off a mountain and normally your body would go tumbling and flipping down? What happens when a giant knocks you into the stratosphere? What if you do this

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Hmm, I can remember quite a few moments that used to take you out of first person view. I wonder if this means enemies can no longer ragdoll you. Or what happens when you jump off a mountain and normally your body would go tumbling and flipping down? What happens when a giant knocks you into the stratosphere? What if you do this
    If you get ragdolled (for example by a Draugr's shout) your controls just stop responding for a bit, still remaining locked to first person view.
    If a giant hits you, your character just takes damage/dies. Maybe they just made the third person player model invisible? Because you do still kind of get pushed around.

Edit: I'll have to see about collecting that much Skooma. :lol:

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️