As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oil spill

-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
The dakota pipeline spilled 250,000 gallons

PNk1Ml4.png

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

yeah fuck that and fuck those idiots who thought this was a good idea

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    A bunch of my Native American students have anti-keystone sweatshirts and I keep meaning to ask them where they got them so I can get one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Isn't that the pipeline going through tribal grounds that had people camping out there in inclement weather to stop it?

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    This is such bullshit

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Isn't that the pipeline going through tribal grounds that had people camping out there in inclement weather to stop it?

Yes. It is turbofucked at all levels.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    UGH

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    UGH

this is certainly the year for that

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    if only there was a way to prevent this disaster

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Their "perfectly safe" pipeline didn't even go a year before the thing that indigenous people said would happen, happened.

Just, fuckin', listen to indigenous people

Their "perfectly safe" pipeline didn't even go a year before the thing that indigenous people said would happen, happened.

and literally everyone else that wasn't getting kickbacks

Jars wrote: »

well
    Thursday’s spill comes four days before Nebraska is set to vote on whether TransCanada can go ahead with the Keystone XL pipeline, which would take a more direct route than the existing Keystone pipeline by going through Montana and South Dakota to Nebraska, where it would connect with pipelines that feed Texas Gulf Coast refineries

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pipeline-keystone/keystone-xl-opponents-make-last-gasp-effort-in-nebraska-idUSKBN1DF2H4

transcanada has fucked up so many times in alberta

they should not even be allowed to operate in the province, let alone export out of it

every single time they say they have something under control it goes wrong

Brolo wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

well
    Thursday’s spill comes four days before Nebraska is set to vote on whether TransCanada can go ahead with the Keystone XL pipeline, which would take a more direct route than the existing Keystone pipeline by going through Montana and South Dakota to Nebraska, where it would connect with pipelines that feed Texas Gulf Coast refineries

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pipeline-keystone/keystone-xl-opponents-make-last-gasp-effort-in-nebraska-idUSKBN1DF2H4

$5 says our governor still okays the pipeline even after this because he is a dime store Lex Luthor.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    WELL WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh gee the thing everyone said would happen happened in less than a year, I'm so fucking shocked I might fucking die of fucking shock.

You fucking stupid fuckers.

edited November 2017
    that what galls me the most even if they wanted to ignore the indigenous people because they're fucking racists they still had to ignore the rest of the fucking world too and DID

they were gonna do this no matter what because dolla dolla bills

Magic Pink on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If only someone had warned them.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Eat the rich.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I love how conservative sites say it's only 5,000 barrels and everyone else reports it's 250,000 gallons. I'm waiting on someone to report it as 950,000,000,000 cubic millimeters.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    At least we can hunt lions and elephants to feel better about this

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I love how conservative sites say it's only 5,000 barrels and everyone else reports it's 250,000 gallons. I'm waiting on someone to report it as 950,000,000,000 cubic millimeters.

Using barrels as a measurement is purposeful obfuscation, because most people have fuck-all idea how big a standard oil barrel is.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    5000 barrels still sounds like a lot to me. Like, I'm picturing a single Donkey Kong barrel and even that seems like a decent amount of oil. 5000 is so much

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    5000 barrels still sounds like a lot to me. Like, I'm picturing a single Donkey Kong barrel and even that seems like a decent amount of oil. 5000 is so much

I think that's exactly the kind of barrel that's referenced too, 40ish gallons fits into those?

It's the same kind you see on someone's lawn for burning stuff in.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    473,176 2 liter soda jugs, a unit I can relate to

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I imagine if you told the folks in charge "We told you this would happen" they'd blow smoke in your face and tell you, "meh"

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They knew perfectly well it would happen. Saying it wouldn't was just a way to shut people up and get the thing pushed through.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’m genuinely not trying to play devils advocate here, but posing a question — what alternative did they really have to this pipeline that would have been preferable?

Not shipping oil means all kinds of fucked things for the way our economy is structured. Fuel prices and cost of goods could skyrocket, which inevitably target the poor and most vulnerable.

Moving it by other means poses far more cost, risk and often environmental impact. Pipelines suck but they’re the safest option we’ve got, that I’m aware of.

This was one of the highest-tech pipelines in existence. Something monumental fucked up to release a spill like this, and it’s a fucking tragedy on top of a pile of tragedies this shitty fucking year has been heaping on non-stop, but this wasn’t because a bunch of rich folks decided “hahaha fuck the poor”. This was literally the smartest minds in the industry using the best option available to provide a service critical to the way the world currently works.

Sorry if that shits on the “let’s laugh at these idiots” parade, but this is kind of a real fucked situation here.

8406wWN.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Relying on oil and coal sucks.
    If you made me Supreme ruler I would probably over a number of years force close all the oil companies and offer free or highly subsidized retraining for the employees to other fields in the energy sector while providing similar incentives to the clean energy industries like wind and solar.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Uriel wrote: »

I dont disagree.

You got any better ideas?

8406wWN.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I dont disagree.

I really wish I did! I don't think it is a problem any one person can solve

Least of all a big old dummy like myself.

Tallahasseeriel on

I dont disagree.

Solar and wind?

Tesla just unveiled a new shipping truck that's all electric.

Also the demand for the oil from keystone XL has dropped:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3069114/even-if-the-keystone-pipeline-is-approved-there-may-not-be-enough-demand-to-build-it

I'm not sure how critical it is at this juncture, especially not with it's risks and costs to the environment.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Who could have predicted this totally predictable thing would predictably happen!

Oh wait, literally everyone who knows anything about how pipeline systems work.

I dont disagree.

Solar and wind?

https://www.fastcompany.com/3069114/even-if-the-keystone-pipeline-is-approved-there-may-not-be-enough-demand-to-build-it

I'm not sure how critical it is at this juncture, especially not with it's risks and costs to the environment.
    How much plastic you think we’re making out of wind these days?

I fucking wish we could get off this goddamned oily teat, but there is no way it’s happening overnight. Even if there wasn’t massive industry resistance to adopting clean energy sources, it’s gunna take a decade or more before we can cut this infrastructure off.

I’m not advocating for these pipelines, btw. I supported the NODAPL movement a lot, donated a bunch of money to organizers and documentarians I knew in the region who helped fight against it.

I also happen to have a lot of family in the industry and have had a fucking ton of these conversations about this shit, so it makes me a bit of a realist who knee jerks instinctively when I see something this fucking awful happen and the response is a room full of people pointing and laughing like they had better ideas.

8406wWN.png
    I mean — last time I was aware of figures, the island of Maui still got a massive, massive majority of its electricity from goddamned diesel. If they can’t be harvesting the sun, in the place where the sun COMES FROM, then how the hell are we gunna flip that switch for the Midwest overnight?

8406wWN.png
    Don't even get me started on plastic. I get mad just thinking about how much plastic is probably inexorably embedded in my fucking DNA from structural leeching at this point, to say nothing of the fact that we are literally living in the world of The Plastic Beach today.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

I dont disagree.

Solar and wind?

I fucking wish we could get off this goddamned oily teat, but there is no way it’s happening overnight. Even if there wasn’t massive industry resistance to adopting clean energy sources, it’s gunna take a decade or more before we can cut this infrastructure off.

I’m not advocating for these pipelines, btw. I supported the NODAPL movement a lot, donated a bunch of money to organizers and documentarians I knew in the region who helped fight against it.

I also happen to have a lot of family in the industry and have had a fucking ton of these conversations about this shit, so it makes me a bit of a realist who knee jerks instinctively when I see something this fucking awful happen and the response is a room full of people pointing and laughing like they had better ideas.

Have we tried raising prices to curb use

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    If they can’t be harvesting the sun, in the place where the sun COMES FROM, then how the hell are we gunna flip that switch for the Midwest overnight

I suspect Maui, in fact, can switch over in theory, but cannot otherwise secure the capital needed to build sufficient infrastructure. They'd likely need a federal grant, and given the composition of the current federal government, well...

Paladin wrote: »

I dont disagree.

Solar and wind?

Have we tried raising prices to curb use

Yeah that’ll show them billionaire CEOs who’s boss!

Or maybe that’ll just fuck all the working class who rely on an infrastructure designed around fossil fuels.

You do that and then literally every single good you purchase goes up in price.

8406wWN.png