As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's almost Helaween and that means it's time to Ragnarok and Roll. (Out Most Places Now)

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Wasn't Vaughn also asked how long the story would be, and his answer was "However long the Walking Dead is, plus one more."

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    God he is just

Just too good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Finally saw this and it was pretty amazing. There were so many just metal scenes.
    Thor flying away from the jet-fire spitting dragon-beast against a blood red sky
    The flight of the Valkyries versus the infinite swords of Hela
    Thor riding the lightning down into the phalanx of undead soldiers

Loved all the little nods and cameos, like the Grandmaster's soldiers having helmets mimicking Celestials. I want Hela's headgear, as impractical as it would look on me, I loved the intricacies. Definitely lots of good lines,
    mostly from Loki:
    "Yes! That's what it feels like!"
    "I've been falling for the last thirty minutes!"
    Also, "Fine. Prisoners with jobs." "I can live with that."

Now I'm kind of wondering who would win in a fight between Wonder Woman's Ares and Hela. Let's just throw all of the weapons from out of nowhere at each other!

• Options
    Oh my god

One of the extra scenes from that scene that were filmed and might be on the Blu-Ray got revealed
    A hilariously extended riff on the Good Will Hunting "Its not your fault" scene between Matt Damon Loki and Luke Hemsworth Thor

GIVE ME IT

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    This movie has a lot of flaws.

But it has a Jack Kirby planet.

So it's easily one of the best MCU movies.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i saw this movie
    It's fucking WILD that the movie ends two thirds of the way through banner's character arc????

otherwise it was fun!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    i saw this movie
    It's fucking WILD that the movie ends two thirds of the way through banner's character arc????

otherwise it was fun!
    Interviews with Ruffalo have made it clear that Banner/Hulk's character arc is going to play out over multiple films.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    i saw this movie

otherwise it was fun!
    Interviews with Ruffalo have made it clear that Banner/Hulk's character arc is going to play out over multiple films.
    Even then I don't think they did enough
    they never go back to the idea that Banner might be permanently gone after hanging on to it for an entire scene in the middle of the movie (which was one of my favorite scenes, actually, ruffalo sells banner as neurodivergent very well)

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think I might have preferred if banner just wasn't in this movie and they saved his arc for the avengers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    The person I watched this with had somehow not seen any trailers for it, and so her favorite part was the Hulk reveal.

I wish I could have had that experience.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Finally saw this, really liked it

More thoughts later as I process it, but for now re: Skurge
    I liked his arc. It wasn't the huge tale of villainy and redemption from the comics, instead it felt like Waititi was talking about why some people collaborate with hostile forces instead of resisting.

I've seen people complain that he didn't really do anything evil other than stand around and look sad but I think that's the point. When every other warrior was resisting, he did nothing. He looked sad all the time because he knew he was only alive because after seeing Volstagg and Fandral die, he chose to save his own hide. Vy even vocally supporting Hela and standing by her side he was betraying his people while others fought & died.

This means that Skurge's story wasn't a long-time villain trying to find redemption, but a self-interested coward finding the courage to do what he knew was right all along.

Not quite as epic as Simonson's story, but kinda relevant these days.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Also, maybe not show him The Dark Tower movie.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    One reference I thought was neat:
    Just before Thor's about to try to get out of his/Hulk's room by breaking the window with the big red ball, in the background, it felt very much like Hulk was doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZa79QGDeo8

Also, from the D&D thread
    (sorry if I've mangled the quote tree here)
    milski wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Korg killing Miek by stepping on him, and then carrying around his body, only to have Miek gain conciousness, was the best double punch joke I can recall. And Korg's accent was a force multiplier to the joke.

There's a triple joke there; Miek was scissors (dual blades), and got crushed by rock. Also, Korg originally failed by not having enough pamphlets; paper beat rock.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    One reference I thought was neat:
    Just before Thor's about to try to get out of his/Hulk's room by breaking the window with the big red ball, in the background, it felt very much like Hulk was doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZa79QGDeo8

Also, from the D&D thread
    (sorry if I've mangled the quote tree here)
    milski wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Korg killing Miek by stepping on him, and then carrying around his body, only to have Miek gain conciousness, was the best double punch joke I can recall. And Korg's accent was a force multiplier to the joke.

There's a triple joke there; Miek was scissors (dual blades), and got crushed by rock. Also, Korg originally failed by not having enough pamphlets; paper beat rock.

Holy shit

This movie

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Just watched this. 10/10, new favourite Marvel film. Loved every character, loved how colourful it was like a living cartoon, and one of the genuinely funniest films I've seen recently, beyond just Marvel-quip-funny. Korg was the best.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I wish Waititi was a little less modest and included himself in the big fancy credits montage, because the #1 question I've seen almost everyone come away with was "who played the rock guy"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I wish Waititi was a little less modest and included himself in the big fancy credits montage, because the #1 question I've seen almost everyone come away with was "who played the rock guy"

Who shows up (and what they are credited for) in those parts of the credits are baked into the contract negotiations, so it might have been a bit of a stretch to try and push for back when the picture was just getting rolling, and obviously too late to negotiate at the last moment.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    FUCK

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Who is that

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Who is that

Japanese Superman

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Who is that

The greatest hero in the world in a superhero anime

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Who is that

This dude
    mvdflhc.jpg

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

that doesn't sound like goku...

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Goku is too terrible of a father to be Superman

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Goku is too terrible of a father to be Superman

Exactly

Now Gohan on the other hand, there's a good dad

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Dangit I didn't want to post that draft.

All Might is a good hero.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The further away I get from this movie, the more I think I like it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I got into a movie argument where I was defending a Thor movie.

2017 is fucking weird.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    you have become what you hate

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So I fucking loved the first two Thor films but dude

This movie is twice as good as either and then some

Finally saw it today and catching it in theaters was the best idea

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So I fucking loved the first two Thor films but dude

This movie is twice as good as either and then some

Finally saw it today and catching it in theaters was the best idea

I wouldn't have minded terribly if it was, like, just a little less comedy.

Like it was fun! And that's good! But, like....just a few of the more childish jokes could have been dropped.
    Like I don't need to hear about Satan's anus, ya know? That was just childish. But the bit with the story about the snake? That was fucking funny.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I found Thor 1 very boring.

I thought Thor 2 was incredibly bad.

I saw Thor 3 and immediately forgot the previous two existed because fuck yes this is my jam. In the first five minutes of the movie it sets the tone and I knew this was going to be a ride.
    The fucking Willy Wonka scene had me rolling in my seat dying of laughter.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So I was playing FFVI over the break and it occurred to me that Chris Hemsworth would make a great Sabin.

Like that scene on the Phantom Train where he just goes to town on some possibly haunted food.

steam_sig.png