As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

19495969798100»

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Shifting gears slightly, Microcenter is running some solid deals right now. I can barely get within $100 US of their pricing with some work on PCPP.

For example:
    THIS is on sale for $1400 US but the best I can do (and I'm still missing some minor parts) is $1500 in PCPP.

I haven't specced a comparable build, but THIS is only $999 US.

The provide the brand info for most of the parts, except the SSD and RAM. I just took the relative cheapest in both categories, within reason, on PCPP.

All that aside, those are some pretty decent prices for a solid midtier to upper-tier system.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Everything is ordered. Should all be here in a couple of days. Everything should converge this weekend, or early next week, which works out perfect because I'm off all of next week.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Wow, this is a great price. Part of me wishes I didn't have a Microcenter relatively close by.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/468883/Hyper_212_LED_CPU_Cooler

edited November 2017
    Most of my components don't arrive until Monday, which is a touch of a bummer...but I think it will make everything align with the my CaseMods order getting here, so I won't have to do a partial build then a rebuild and re-wire when my cables get there. Case gets here Friday and the CPU gets back from Silicon Lottery Saturday.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Moving along slowly at the moment but I've bumped my 8700k to 4.8ghz at 1.3vcore with speedstep active, OCCT testing went well for about 45 minutes. Temperatures are parking around low 60's in stress testing at seem to idle in the low 30's or high 20's depending on the things mood...

I'll test more, then move up to 5.0 tomorrow. If all goes well I'll start dropping vcore and be content with that magic number.

Dell S2716DG will be on sale again for Black Friday ($399 US). I will try to post a link if/when it goes Live. There was a "preview sale" for Members that got posted to Reddit, but it was for a limited number of units, so it sold out quick.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Hi Folks, I'm resurrecting an older post of mine (spoilered)
    Hello computer build thread, it's been a while...

In fact, this thread helped me build my current gaming rig in 2009, which I still use and has served me well.

Recently I've been looking into buying a Oculus Rift when I realized my PC is pretty dang old and doesn't appear to meet the minimum requirements. I'd kind of forgotten how old it was given that, by upgrading my video card every once in a while, it still runs new games excellently.

Here's what I got:

Motherboard: ASUS P6T X58 Deluxe ATX LGA1366 DDR3 LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E4 CrossFire SLI SATA2 SAS Motherboard
    At the very least I think I need to replace this, as it's only got USB2.0, and I believe VR needs 3.0. Alternatively I suppose I could buy a PCI USB3 card?

CPU: i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ - This could be a big problem. It's served me well up until now though.

RAM: Aeneon Xtune AXH860UD20-16H-K-6G 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9-9-9 240PIN Triple Channel Kit
    Only 6GB, I've read you need at least 8? Also it's DDR3, so if I upgrade the Motherboard I may need to replace the whole thing

GPU: GTX 1060. 6GB onboard memory. I think I'm ok here.

Powersupply: Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX - I suspect this is still alright and doesn't need to be upgraded?

Save me from making poor decisions, build thread!

As well as this response from @wunderbar :
    wunderbar wrote: »
    current baseline for a straight gaming PC is:

i5-7600
    H270 motherboard
    8 or 16GB of RAM depending on budget.

Nice to have:

i7-7700k
    Z270 motherboard
    16GB RAM

If you do heavily multithreaded things (i.e. you do a lot of video encoding, rendering, etc, also worth looking at the AMD Ryzen stuff. Ryzen sacrifices about 10-15% gaming performance but is a way better general purpose processor.

Is the i5, H270, and 16 gb of ddr4 ram still a good machine for VR?

There are a few deals on right now at newegg.ca and am going to either order today, or maybe wait until Friday or Monday and see what deals there are.

I'm also thinking of getting another power supply and another case. Then I'll have enough spare parts left over to Frankenstein together a 2nd desktop for my wife. Any recommendations on those?

What about a heatsink for the new CPU. Is it worth getting another one, or will it come with a serviceable version?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Far as I know that's still fine for VR, but someone can confirm that better.

The 7600 seems to come with (like a non k should) and without a heatsink, the one WITH a heatsink is cheaper. Pricing!

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Isn't an 8400 a better deal now than a 7600?

My parts delivery got updated to tomorrow, so yay! CPU arrives Saturday and everything else arrives tomorrow except the cablemod stuff. So I may do a dirty build just to get everything tested and the OS installed and when the CableMod stuff gets here I'll do a re-cable and proper cable management.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Mayday wrote: »

I'm seeing an 8400 (@6 cores and 2.8 GHz) listed at $40 cheaper than the 7600(@ 4 cores and 3.5 GHz), plus it comes with fan and cooler. How big is that difference?

Dissociater on
    The better direct comparison is the 8600 and the 7600. The 8400 is a more budget CPU and it's clock speeds reflect that.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    My parts delivery got updated to tomorrow, so yay! CPU arrives Saturday and everything else arrives tomorrow except the cablemod stuff. So I may do a dirty build just to get everything tested and the OS installed and when the CableMod stuff gets here I'll do a re-cable and proper cable management.

Do it. One cannot simply wait while options are available to them (I am also waiting for a cablemod delivery)
    VN527Ai.jpg?1

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So starting to work on parts for my son's PC build... Got a case, motherboard and some RAM ordered. Two of those have $10 rebates and managed to get 5% mobile discount on the ram and motherboard which justified me ordering 16GB of a discounted RAM from NewEgg instead of 8GB.

On track for $650 build after rebates.

Hoping there is a 1050 TI on sale sometime in the next couple weeks so I can shave a few more dollars off since I splurged a bit on more RAM.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I'm guessing there will be 1050 Ti's around the $100 mark within the next two weeks (ok, maybe a 1050 is more likely at that price). There's always the $78 passively-cooled 1030...

.....what?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

I'm seeing an 8400 (@6 cores and 2.8 GHz) listed at $40 cheaper than the 7600(@ 4 cores and 3.5 GHz), plus it comes with fan and cooler. How big is that difference?

Is VR core intenstive?

The 8400 will boost up to 4.0Ghz on single core stuff.

It's why I'm getting it, the 8400 has great reviews for gaming

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It uses CPU power more than normal gaming, but not something that needs the absolute latest and greatest CPUs.

I mean gen6 i5s are only about 15% more powerful than gen2 i5s, and gen2s would still be an acceptable CPU for VR.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Another day another discounted component from the build list. Grabbed a EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply for $15 discount today. :)

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I'm perusing the Black Friday section of Amazon, and they have some decent deals on SSDs (both 2.5" and M.2). Granted, they are considered "off brand," but I would use them for a budget build. Micron and OCZ brand (still name brand, hence the quotes, but not as top tier as, say, Samsung)

edited November 2017
    My CPU delivery got updated to today. Everything's coming up Gnome....except my cable mod order that hasn't shipped, but it's okay. I'll put the system mostly together with black cables and rewire it when my white ones come in. It won't clash too bad, there is already a lot of black in the build.

GnomeTank on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Always bet on black.

Gnome I'm really interested to see your results when your build is all finished up, I'm getting really strange temperature fluctuations during idle and they stick around in stress testing. At a constant 100% load I'm seeing momentary 15+ degree spikes which are putting my numbers much closer to peak than I'd like them to be. It also results in an annoying bounce of my rad fan RPM's.

Here's a single core from my OCCT run last night, about 15 minutes in I started Furmark to see how the loop could manage, fan speeds stayed in the low 1,000's but from my picture above you can see I'm running this with a wide open case. I'm very tempted to go ahead and delid this weekend as my cables have a delivery ETA of monday afternoon.

Still need to sort out a way to have the thing base my fan speeds on coolant temp sensor readings instead of CPU. My ideal setup would be fans based on water temperature and pump speed based on CPU/GPU temps (whichever is higher). Seems that Speedfan has not been updated with full Z370 support yet though as it doesn't see my coolant temp probe while HWinfo64 does.

b2z80qjrlzan.png

rdpq5zouwvxe.png

My first batch of parts started arriving. Just waiting on the case and CPU at this point.

I'll let you know Varinn. I'm going to do a box boot as soon as the CPU gets here just to make sure everything posts, then I'll stick everything in the case and start benching.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Boo, my 1080 has started misbehaving again, same thing as it was doing last time around, though where I still have the 1050ti installed the system remains functional after the 1080 shits the bed (though I still need to reboot to get the 1080 fans to stop going full blow). Think I'm gonna see if I can just get a refund out of this instead of yet another romp through RMA.

:edit: stopped paying attention to my computer to try calling the place my RMA had been sent to, and when I looked back I was at the :( screen. That'll teach me to leave it enabled in device manager. Probably ought to just yank it outright.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    You know, that's really interesting NEO...

I had an old 750Ti in this machine, and when running stuff at the max it could handle, I could never hear the fan. Now, with the 1060, I hear the fan wind up and just stick wide open for a long time. Although it does wind down when I exit whatever game I'm playing, it seems to be working a shit ton harder than the 750 was.

I've even messed around with settings, and on games like The Division, it doesn't seem to matter. If I set the game to medium (which is what the 750 could handle) it still gets the fan going pretty hard.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Update on calling RMA place: Call quality was rather poor, so I didn't quite make out exactly where my situation was getting escalated to, but apparently they are escalating my issue up the ladder to somewhere.

Relatedly, the active reason I'd called (verify if the RMA had replaced the entire card or simply a part on the card) revealed that the entire card had been replaced, so either I lost the hardware lottery twice in a row or something in my computer is killing GPUs.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    CPU is back from Silicon Lottery. You can't even really tell it's been delidded, super professional job on the work. I unfortunately did not win the silicon lottery :( SL is recommending 4.9 at -2 AVX. I'm going to see if I can get it stable at 5 anyway, just to see, and then back it down as I plan to have this CPU for a while.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    CPU is back from Silicon Lottery. You can't even really tell it's been delidded, super professional job on the work. I unfortunately did not win the silicon lottery :( SL is recommending 4.9 at -2 AVX. I'm going to see if I can get it stable at 5 anyway, just to see, and then back it down as I plan to have this CPU for a while.

What voltage do they recommend for that? That's disappointing!! I have to admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed on the OC options for these newer chips. There are SO MANY more features to tinker with than I remember having in the past. How much detail do they go into in their testing in trying with/without different things enabled?

edited November 2017
    I mean look, it's still a really big upgrade in total compute over my 4790K, and even a decent single threaded boost. Plus new platform goodies. I'm not going to be terribly upset that I have a 6-core CPU delidded and running cool that can 'only' get to 4.9ghz. 5 would've been nice, and who knows, maybe still completely possible. I'm going to use SL's recommendations as a baseline, but I'll tinker and play with it a bit. Differences in cooler, thermal paste, ambient temperature, airflow, motherboard etc. can make pretty large differences so you never know. We just know SL would have binned it as a 4.9ghz part, not that 4.9ghz is all it's capable of. SL sort of have to bin on the conservative side.

e: As far as detail, not a ton. I would imagine the guy who runs SL is completely slammed right now. He did a great job on the delid, which was the main point. I'm sure he did just the basic binning tests they do, not a ton of hand tinkering.

GnomeTank on
This discussion has been closed.