As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    there really isn't a more appropriate thread to discuss warhammer fantasy

so, recently, I've been studying up on the Lore

Lizardmen are fucking rad. I've been absorbing everything I can about them. Luckily, if I wanted to learn the Warhammer timeline from front to back, the Lizardmen are a GREAT place to start.

Melissa's Power Ratings: Skinks > Kroxigar > Saurus > Dinosaurs > Slann

edit: hail Sotek

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    My personal favorite updated Lore detail is a sizable segment of the remaining Eldar deciding to go full Moorcock, die in order to bring the god of the dead into existence, and destroy Slaanesh with it. Because that makes total sense. The Ynnari are a pretty great addition to the already fairly-crazy space elf roster.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Oh we're talking about Eldar? Good... for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkj8KmxYpkQ

LCB_canon.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm still sad and angry that FFG lost the 40k license

FYI FFG chose not to renew it, it wasn’t pulled by GW.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Dubh wrote: »

Lizardmen are fucking rad. I've been absorbing everything I can about them. Luckily, if I wanted to learn the Warhammer timeline from front to back, the Lizardmen are a GREAT place to start.

I only know Lizardmen from Blood Bowl, but I just can't agree with those ratings.

Now, I'm willing to put Skinks over Sauruses, because you don't win games by just bashing people, you only tie at best, so you do need Skins to actually carry the ball and score once in a while. But the Kroxigar, awesome as they are when they actually do what they're supposed to, are just way too unreliable. No way are they better than Sauruses.

My only experience with Slann is their reinterpretation as Russian circus people, so I really can't comment on them.

WotanAnubis on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Slann like football too.

pickzhjkd5oa.png

stimtokolos on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

I only know Lizardmen from Blood Bowl, but I just can't agree with those ratings.

Now, I'm willing to put Skinks over Sauruses, because you don't win games by just bashing people, you only tie at best, so you do need Skins to actually carry the ball and score once in a while. But the Kroxigar, awesome as they are when they actually do what they're supposed to, are just way too unreliable. No way are they better than Sauruses.

My only experience with Slann is their reinterpretation as Russian circus people, so I really can't comment on them.

Blood Bowl Slann are a relic of a bygone era. THey have pretty much nothing to do with with Fantasy/Age of Sigmar Slann.

In Warhammer Fantasy Slann actually used to be the ones that spread intelligent life on the world and build the large warp gates at the poles. That was retconned in the 4th edition of the game I think and and those references were all replaeced with the Old Ones and Slann themselves have been fat frogs since then, created by the Old Ones same as the Elves and the Dwarfs.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Oh we're talking about Eldar? Good... for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkj8KmxYpkQ

LCB_canon.jpg

I remember reading and posting in the original 4chan thread where this became a thing

I am astounded it persists over a decade later, but in a good way

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    What's up with Eisenhorn?

That dude is nuts.

Did Abnett write something else after Pariah?

There was another short story/novel I think?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also I think the story's going to continue with a confrontation between Ravenor and Eisenhorn.

Boy, I really need to continue reading those Ravenor books.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Has there ever been a story about the humans who joined the Tau

Aside from one of my Rogue Trader characters, I mean

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

citation?

No less than two Ciaphas Cain books deal with temporary Tau-Imperium alliances.

Kai Lim, Black Library artist did this from his fanart days.

Free-Shipping-40-000-Game-Wallpapers-Space-Marine-Custom-Canvas-Gaming-Posters-Warhammer-40K-Stickers-Home.jpg_640x640.jpg

They just released a short story

blacklibrary.com/all-products/the-greater-evil-eshort.html?utm_source=WarhammerCommunity&utm_medium=Post&utm_content=BLDigMonNov13

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Ugh...its been over 6 years since the last Gaunt's Ghosts book(Next, and possibly last, book is coming in December).

The Horus Heresy series was a good idea but it's currently suffering from too much bloat. There are so many short story omnibi, special edition books, and stories that take place on the arse end of nowhere, that it's getting difficult to follow. And most of these stories have some sort of tie in with other stories, so if you miss a couple of the arse end stories, then you'll have no idea who [Important Character] is when they show up in the latest "Main Story" book(Basically anything that has to do with Terra, Horus or the Traitor Primarchs, The Grey Knights, or Imperium Secundus). Deathfire(Nov 2015. Book 32 of the series) was the last book I read. They're on Book 46 right now. I know I've missed a few books between 1-32.

I may just wait till they finish the series and download the whole thing when they inevitably release it as an $800+ superdownload for e-readers.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/the-horus-heresy/bundles/hh-so-far.html

$520 for the first 42 books.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I think that we can all agree that the coolest spess mehreens are Salamanders and Lamenters. True bros if ever there were such a thing in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Several

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Despite having a questionable amount of warhammer models to my name I tend not to follow the lore stuff that closely, mostly cos I find a lot of the writing not to my taste, with the rare exception like Abnett's work, it has that strange effect where the background is better an aggregate than it is trying to read the individual stories, to me in any case.

I do kinda like the big shake up to fantasy though, now that it's settled down a little, it's got that grand, sweeping silliness that I can appreciate. I heard they're bringing out a tabletop RPG for that setting at some point? I'd be interested to see what they cook up for that.

My only criticism of Abnett is he pretty much exclusively writes about Imperium / Chaos conflicts. Which, as good stories as they are (really damn good), they do feel samey after a while.

My only criticism of Abnett is he pretty much exclusively writes about Imperium / Chaos conflicts. Which, as good stories as they are (really damn good), they do feel samey after a while.

Tankred Disagrees
    ugo1743ft7r0.png

I mean, Tankred fights different dudes, but I don't think any of the Xenos get any actual screen time other than the Chaos ones.

To be fair, Brothers of the Snake is probably the exception, but that's one book out of like, the twenty he's written.

Hence, "mostly". :P

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Robot Girly Man is back? Has Cypher advanced at all or have we learned if it was Alpha or Omega that survived?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hi. As the fourm’s designated Imperial Guard nut/insane person I just want to say,

Yo it’s not called Imperial Guard anymore. Fuck that bullshit. Also there is some new treaded pickup truck thing and is as stupid as fuck looking. Just horrible.

Now please turn to page ten of your Imperial Infantryman’s Uplifting Primer and repeat the creed after me.

If you do not have your issued primer, a friendly Commissar will be with you shortly to provide you with a fancy new lasgun hole in your forehead.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Robot Girly Man is back? Has Cypher advanced at all or have we learned if it was Alpha or Omega that survived?

Cypher actually joined with him, fighting their way back to Terra to stop a Khornate daemon incursion. However, he had something nefarious in mind for the Emperor, so he was captured, and of course later escaped.

It's also confirmed that the Emperor is now essentially a warp god, and aside from protecting humanity as a whole, isn't capable of relating to normal humans, or even his "sons" anymore (not technically new info, but basically confirming fan conjecture of his attitude and behavior).

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hi. As the fourm’s designated Imperial Guard nut/insane person I just want to say,

Yo it’s not called Imperial Guard anymore. Fuck that bullshit. Also there is some new treaded pickup truck thing and is as stupid as fuck looking. Just horrible.

Now please turn to page ten of your Imperial Infantryman’s Uplifting Primer and repeat the creed after me.

If you do not have your issued primer, a friendly Commissar will be with you shortly to provide you with a fancy new lasgun hole in your forehead.

Foolish mammal. The Aeldari will provide you with a shuriken hole in your un-evolved brow ridges posthaste.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just want to remind everyone that my totally made up IG regiment and commander, which is a reference to this forum, is mentioned in Dawn of War II.

Because of course I’m super proud of that!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Greenskinz da best.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I mean, everyone, both in real life and in the fiction, still calls them Imperial Guard. They just need names they can copyright for legal reasons.

Also, I'm thinking of putting beakie heads and studded shoulders on primaris bodies and slapping them with a garish rogue trader era paint scheme to make some marines for laughs.

I just don't know which garish scheme to go with:
    WDmarinecolours.jpg

I have an airbrush so I'm leaning towards something like the salamanders.

I mean, Tankred fights different dudes, but I don't think any of the Xenos get any actual screen time other than the Chaos ones.

To be fair, Brothers of the Snake is probably the exception, but that's one book out of like, the twenty he's written.

Hence, "mostly". :P

Tau
    hztmsg49giux.png

Through out his service in the damnation crusade comic he fights all the enemies of the imperium

I feel the need to post one of the greatest pieces of Aeldari fan art

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Somebody should play Deathwing with me.

Brainleech wrote: »

That person now also does official art for the Warhammer community page.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

Did everyone who read that and is not sanctioned report themselves for execution then flogging? If not please report to your local commissar.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    People sure have a weird way of spelling Eldar in this here thread(or did GW change their name so they could copyright it, like they did most of the WHFB stuff?)

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They changed the name for copyright, yeah, Aeldarii, and Drukharii for Dark Eldar I think. I don't hate it, has a fun mouth sound.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

What happened was FFG said "we want exclusive rights to license board games, RPGs etc" and GW said "no we don't do that any more." FFG then said "well it's that or nothing" and GW responded with "off you fuck then"

So yeah kind of

They changed the name for copyright, yeah, Aeldarii, and Drukharii for Dark Eldar I think. I don't hate it, has a fun mouth sound.

They have really upped their dumb space elf game lately and made them seem a bit less generic / more elf-y.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

honovere wrote: »

That person now also does official art for the Warhammer community page.

I'll have to reupload my 40k after hours gallery for this thread. Goddamn Photobucket.

This discussion has been closed.