As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Podcasts: How to and what's good?

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
I got a few questions about podcasts. I recently got a commute. It's roughly 20-40 each way, so 40min to 1hr20min each day to listen to whatever.

I have an ipod shuffle. Any suggestions for an RSS type or any kind of autodownloader for podcasts? Put in a link and it will autodownload and upload to the ipod whenever there's a new podcast out?

Secondly, what are some good technology and video game related podcasts? Links if you can. Feel free to suggest anime ones too.

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    iTunes lets you subscribe to podcasts and check for updates each time you open itunes or something. I recommend SModcast if you like Kevin Smith and his shenanigans, then there's Podcast Beyond which must have TONS of PA fans by now. But podcasts are free so its a good idea to just use the store to find em.

Goose! on
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    iTunes is probably the easiest solution to getting podcasts, especially since you are using an iPod. This Week in Tech (TWiT) is a good technology podcast and 1Up Yours is a good video games podcast (both are weekly). I used to listen to CNet's Buzz out Loud (daily podcast) as well and that was quite good.

Really just go to iTunes Store and look at the charts. The highly ranked ones are usually good. They're free so give the ones that sound interesting a try.

blanknogo on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    All I can do is recommend what I listen to:

CBC Radio: The Best of Ideas http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/podcast.html
    BBC Radio: Mark Kerkmode Film Reviews http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/kermode/
    Savage Love, the out loud version of Dan Savages' sex advice column: http://podcasts.thestranger.com/savagelove/ (NSFW)

I used to listen to a couple of board game podcasts but they really exposed the total shit that can be a podcast as nobody can be interesting about board games for an a hour a week. NOBODY.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, and iTunes is certainly how I roll (4gb nano, 8gb iphone)

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smodcast is the greatest podcast ever. It's Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier talking for an hour about shit. It's like An Evening With Kevin Smith every week.

Check it out at www.quickstopentertainment.com or you can download it through iTunes as well. They're on like episode 38 and 39 is supposed to come out this week or next, I can't remember because I wasn't paying attention when they mentioned it in the last cast.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ya, I use iTunes for my podcasts, and I have an iPod classic. It's stupid easy to do. I listen to a lot of CNET podcasts, including Buzz Out Loud(week days), MP3 insider(usually tuesdays), the Real Deal(Tuesdays, kind of like a "How to" for various tech things) and Dialed in(Wednesdays, about cell phones).

I also listen to This Week in Tech, which is excellent, if you don't mind Dvorak. I listen to Global National's Audio Podcast(Canadian national news). I also watch Mahalo Daily, a video podcast.

YMMV, but give a bunch a try. There ahve been like 10 podcasts I have tried, and hated. But it's free, and easy to press "Delete"

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DocabarDocabar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Videogame podcasts:
    GFW Radio
    1Up Yours
    Downloadable Content

Docabar on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Jeebus. 1 hour 39 minutes for the latest 1up yours. That's not fun for a shuffle. Any easy, automatic way to cut up a sound file into increments? For example 5 minute increments or 1 minute increments?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The Weekly Geek is also a good podcast. I've only checked out a few, but it's a good gaming podcast.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For people who don't use iTunes or some other mp3 player software and you just want to subscribe to these things on your computer, there's Juice, a open source free podcast aggregator.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    IGN's olol.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    For people who don't use iTunes or some other mp3 player software and you just want to subscribe to these things on your computer, there's Juice, a open source free podcast aggregator.

I use Juice on my PC and it's great. Very simple and streamlined.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've listened to thisweekintech/digg since they started, mainly for the techtv connection. I also listen to some radio from back home. I need some more, now that I've also got a commute.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Doesn't Winamp have podcast support now?

Also, the one podcast I used to listen to pretty regularly was Penn Jillette's (Penn from Penn & Teller), but stopped almost a year ago. I don't remember why, exactly... I think I just couldn't be buggered to download them anymore. I wonder if he still has Monkey Tuesdays?...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    CBC radio 3 Podcast. Not the R3-30 or R3 TV the one called CBC Radio 3 Podcast.

Best music I have heard every week, all Canadian and all indie. The R3-30 is good but the Radio 3 Podcast actually has personality.

http://www.cbcradio3.com/podcast/radio3/

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    CBC radio 3 Podcast. Not the R3-30 or R3 TV the one called CBC Radio 3 Podcast.

Best music I have heard every week, all Canadian and all indie. The R3-30 is good but the Radio 3 Podcast actually has personality.

http://www.cbcradio3.com/podcast/radio3/

Along those lines, NPR's All Songs Considered and Second Stage are good sources of indie and small-label music. All Songs Considered is an interesting periodic show about music in general ... it's mostly weekly, occasionally has a full concert, interviews artists, and does seasonal new release roundups. Second Stage is a new song from an indie or small label artist every weekday ... so it's almost always a song you've never heard before every weekday all year. Such a great idea.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Jeebus. 1 hour 39 minutes for the latest 1up yours. That's not fun for a shuffle. Any easy, automatic way to cut up a sound file into increments? For example 5 minute increments or 1 minute increments?

Why would you want to cut up a podcast if you don't mind me asking? And if you're worried about size, it's a podcast. Most don't use HQ audio for just spoken word. Normally an hour is only about 20-30 MB.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This Week in Tech is a favorite of mine, as well as NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!". For those who are into tabletop RPGs, I find that "Dragon's Landing Podcast" and "Fear the Boot" are very good Tabletop RP news and advice podcasts. I'm currently courting "Cranky Geeks", but I'm not quite decided on it.

As an aside, does anyone know of a good Gridiron football podcast, or a good sports podcast in general?

The Listener on
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This Week in Tech is a favorite of mine, as well as NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!". For those who are into tabletop RPGs, I find that "Dragon's Landing Podcast" and "Fear the Boot" are very good Tabletop RP news and advice podcasts. I'm currently courting "Cranky Geeks", but I'm not quite decided on it.

As an aside, does anyone know of a good Gridiron football podcast, or a good sports podcast in general?

ESPN and CBS Sportsline both have outstanding football podcasts. Jeremy Green's Football Today is one of my favorite podcasts, and it's like a half-hour every day. The fantasy podcasts are good too. Oh, and they put out Pardon the Interruption in podcast form every day too. Just check it out.

In addition to those, I religiously listen to:
    -TWiT (Super-nerdy tech news roundtable)
    -1up Yours (Super-nerdy game news roundtable)
    -The Sound of Young America (Excellent interviews with comedians, musicians, and writers)
    -Jordan Jesse GO! (hilarious podcast about nothing in particular from the host of Sound of Young America and his college buddy)
    -Never Not Funny (comedian Jimmy Pardo's podcast)
    -EGM Live (Essentially audio version of EGM's features and reviews)
    -Filmspotting (Reviews, lists, and movie chat for film nerds)
    -This American Life (If you don't know what it is, just fucking try it, you'll get hooked)
    ...And my personal favorite, The Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling. For those who haven't heard it, I couldn't begin to explain what makes it great, but listen to a few episodes and I promise you become obsessed with it. Its hilarity knows no bounds.

I deliver pizza, so I have a whole lot of time to sit around listening to mp3s. I don't know what I'd do without podcasts.

emericana on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

Why would you want to cut up a podcast if you don't mind me asking? And if you're worried about size, it's a podcast. Most don't use HQ audio for just spoken word. Normally an hour is only about 20-30 MB.
    Do you know what an iPod shuffle is? If I finish driving to work with 1:00 left to listen to, how will I get back tot he right spot? What if I accidentally hit fwd/next? How will I find the correct spot again? The plan was to cut it up for easier navigation on a shuffle.

In anycase, I listen to the podcast using my mogul's (cell phone's) speaker, which has WMP on it with a nice slide bar to navigate, so the point is moot.

And 1up yours lasts a few days worth of traffic. Still deciding on my 2nd/3rd podcast.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Doesn't Winamp have podcast support now?

Also, the one podcast I used to listen to pretty regularly was Penn Jillette's (Penn from Penn & Teller), but stopped almost a year ago. I don't remember why, exactly... I think I just couldn't be buggered to download them anymore. I wonder if he still has Monkey Tuesdays?...

They stopped Monkey Tuesday, then just... stopped the show altogether.

Hazz on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Legendary Thread if you're into the WoW.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

Do you know what an iPod shuffle is? If I finish driving to work with 1:00 left to listen to, how will I get back tot he right spot? What if I accidentally hit fwd/next? How will I find the correct spot again? The plan was to cut it up for easier navigation on a shuffle.

In anycase, I listen to the podcast using my mogul's (cell phone's) speaker, which has WMP on it with a nice slide bar to navigate, so the point is moot.

And 1up yours lasts a few days worth of traffic. Still deciding on my 2nd/3rd podcast.

I'm guessing that the iPod should be smart enough to treat podcasts differently than other music. That way, it will remember where you stopped listening to the podcast and resume it appropriately. I know the new Zune firmware finally does this, so it'd be weird if the iPod didn't.

I think every podcast that I listen to has been mentioned already, except for one ... and it happens to be one of my favorites: Buzz Out Loud. It's every weekday, generally around 30-40 minutes, and covers all the tech/geek news of the day.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I often listen to the Simply Syndicated network of podcasts from the UK..don't know if it applies to what you were looking for but I suppose there is no reason not to recommend it. They are..

Movies You Should See- A movie podcast ranging at times from fairly serious to utterly hilarious..the funniest thing about the show is how they go off on hilarious tangents quite often. If you want a more serious scripted movie suggestion show this one isn't for you.

Make It So- Star Trek podcast. Usually quite funny and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Weekend Watches- This is supposed to be about what the guy and his girlfriend have had the chance to watch over the weekend but it is tangent city. They often just talk about anything and everything..it is quite amusing. If you are one for structured podcasts this REALLY isn't for you..it's charm is in the fact that it is just a guy and his girlfriend talking about whatever they may have watched and whatever else comes up.

The Definitive Word- A podcast about various issues in society and culture. Some stupid some fairly serious conversations. Definetly the most structured and serious podcast of the bunch. Don't expect well researched conversation though..they are just running off their opinions.

They also have a few other podcasts that are their weaker offerings or are in their infancy so I won't recommend those. Chances are though if you end up liking these you may get into the others just because of the familiar voices or simply loyalty to the network. They have an audio channel with all the podcasts in it called Simply Hear.

Now that I'm done sounding like an advertisement I might also recommend Astronomy Cast if that is your thing. All the others I would recommend have already been mentioned so..

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I use "Podcast Ready" to organize my podcasts. Their client will download the podcasts directly to your player if you drop files like a usb drive. Put it on a usb drive, mp3 player, or memory card and it'll do the work for you. Mac, Linux, or Windows, and it works anywhere. It's never tied to a single computer, so it's a lot easier than other solutions.

If you hate iTunes, use Podcast Ready, or Zencast for a list of good shows. I've listed most of the podcasts I listen to over the course of a week.

I listen to:

The Naked Scientists: Fantastic science podcast for the "common" guy. They talk to scientists and talk about important new discoveries and explain it in simple terms. (Weekly)

Escape Pod: Free Science Fiction stories, once a week, by prominent science fiction authors read for you. You don't need to listen to more than one podcast for the whole story. It's all self contained. It's FANTASTIC. (Weekly)

Pseudopod: Same thing as Escape pod, but for Horror stories. This stuff can be DARK. (Weekly)

Jordan, Jesse, Go!: This is my hilarious "two guys talking" podcast. It's like SModcast, except it's not "Is this Gay?" obsessed like Kevin Smith's show. The Sound of Young America is good too. (Weekly)

Countdown with Keith Olbermann/New York Times Front Page/NPR 7AM News Summary - Headline News stuff. This is what you'd hear if you only had five minutes to listen to the news. (Daily)

NPR: Foreign Dispatch/ Movies/ Story of the Day/Technology: Topics covered in more detail. There are TONS of various NPR news podcasts. Pick and choose what you want to hear. (Weekly)

NPR Sunday Puzzle: Word Puzzles from the New York Times Puzzle master. Good at keeping you quick witted. It can also give you a good puzzle to work on during breaks at work if you like the challenge. (Weekly)

NPR: Wait Wait, Don't Tell me: Hilarious Weekly News Quiz. Good for keeping up with the news, and also to hear weird headlines. (Weekly)

Slate Explainer: Want to ask a question about the news? Get an answer here. Always topical. (Daily)
    Slate Daily Podcasts: Editorials to Slate Magazine, also features the Slate Political Gabfest (Daily)

The Bugle: John Oliver from the Daily Show does a really funny "Audio Newspaper" with political satire. It's like a Daily Show like podcast with some snarky commentary about what's going on with the world. (Weekly)

The Onion Radio News: 30 second Onion fake headlines and articles. Hysterical. (Daily)

I'm a bit of a news/politics junkie with a few educational podcasts. I've got Retronauts, but it never gets produced anymore. I favored structured, organized podcasts over random people talking with the exception of Jordan, Jesse, Go!

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thanks to whoever suggested the Savage Lovecast. It is hilarious.

I too fully support the Onion Radio News.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif