As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I just realized that one of the post-game costumes is a bit of wry joke:
    If you want to afford the Skeleton Costume, you have to... work yourself to the bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG1jPSs5deU

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Some post game frustrations
    1. Rabbit Ridge Broodals endurance boss fights - This sucked. In my opinion, the Broodal fights were the weakest boss battles in the game. So not only do they make you go through 5 of them (i thought you may have to do the chain chomp one, but thankfully you didn't), but then they exacerbate the frustration with no heals until the mech-battle and the floaty moon physics. Did not enjoy this, so glad to get it over with
    2. Some of the normal levels in Rabbit Ridge seem to accentuate control or camera problems. A few examples I can think of:
    A. The bullet bills destroying the path level. Here, to get the 2nd moon you have to take the bottom path back to the beginning. The issue is the top platforms are too close, so the camera has to be at this shitty angle that you either get your vision blocked by the top platforms or you can't tell where you are going when you do the long jump.
    B. The invisible path with the piranha plants. The issue here is your shadow is placed below the platforms and for me, it made it really difficult to judge proximity where I was going to land on some of my jumps.
    C. The sinking into lava level with Yoshi. I used the side jump to get to the top of the platforms. This started to get annoying since you need to turn around to set yourself up, but sometimes I'd screw up and run around in a circle instead of getting the sliding stop, leading to death by lava. I then randomly figured out that you can use Yoshi's tongue to help prop him up, which helped immensely with the side jumps. It's not mentioned anywhere in the Action Guide or the button prompts. Thankfully, they have mercy that you don't have to recollect the fruits you've already gotten or this level would've drove me insane.

The P-Switch level in Rabbit Ridge is incredibly strict on the timing, but overall I liked it.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    A quick hint for anyone struggling with Dark side of the Moon
    There is a health up item hidden on one of the stems out the front of the Gauntlet. Throw Cappy on it and hold him there until it appears.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh my god i got the Taxi moon in the hat kingdom.

I wouldn't have found it had ProZD not made a joke about it.

What madman came up with that one?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I found that one today totally by accident just dicking around with the binoculars. How the fuck would anyone find that on purpose?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I found that one today totally by accident just dicking around with the binoculars. How the fuck would anyone find that on purpose?

I found it from the name, thanks to talkatoo.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Aioua wrote: »

And if you're still scratching your head, eventually an Amiibo or Toad hint will drop the marker on the point you need to be. Combine the two and the solution is extremely explicit.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I got the name and location of it and still couldn't figure it out.
    The location on the map wasn't actually at the precise location of the binoculars, I think. I thought it was somehow just below it on a lower level, butt stomped all over etc. It's the only thing I had to look up online so far, and it made me realize there's probably an associated one with all or most of the binoculars.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular

And if you're still scratching your head, eventually an Amiibo or Toad hint will drop the marker on the point you need to be. Combine the two and the solution is extremely explicit.

No it isn't! :(

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Woo, all purple coins found.
    Back to the shelf you go, Bowser Amiibo!

And I can finally use my pro controller again instead of the joycons! (my controller has issues reading some of my amiibo, and keeps insisting that Bowser isn't an amiibo at all)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

When you have three or less moons left in a level, by default the ones marked by amiibo or Toad hints will match up with the three that Talkatoo mentions

If you press select and go to the list, it'll even have the name and location listed in those instances, so it should have had the binoculars marked with an X with the moon name "Taxi cab" or whatever

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Holy moly this game has a lot of moons.

I just turned in 50 in a chunk moons from the Sand Kingdom and I'm, like, about halfway done with the kingdom, apparently!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    A quick hint for anyone struggling with Dark side of the Moon
    There is a health up item hidden on one of the stems out the front of the Gauntlet. Throw Cappy on it and hold him there until it appears.

Also most of the boss fights are actually a joke if you take into account one special trick:
    Stop moving around. Seriously just find the safe area and stand there throwing cappy when needed. Most people make it harder on themselves by jumping around trying to dodge everything. Cappy knocks almost every attack away.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    One moon left in the game and it's the stupid jump rope one. Bleh.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Finally beat Dark Side. I think I'm gonna leave it at that for now and move on to other games.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

When you have three or less moons left in a level, by default the ones marked by amiibo or Toad hints will match up with the three that Talkatoo mentions

If you press select and go to the list, it'll even have the name and location listed in those instances, so it should have had the binoculars marked with an X with the moon name "Taxi cab" or whatever
    What they're saying is that even with the map marker and the name of the moon, if you don't know you can capture the taxi, then you'll be sitting there wondering what the deuce the game wants from you. I fell into this too. In defense the taxi has a little cap button on top that lets you know you can capture it, and once I noticed it, I started noticing it elsewhere.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shadowane wrote: »
    I saw something somewhere saying it's easier with the moped, cause it's got a smaller, faster jump?
    I tried it, and couldn't even get the moped in there without messing it up.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I saw something somewhere saying it's easier with the moped, cause it's got a smaller, faster jump?
    I tried it, and couldn't even get the moped in there without messing it up.

Huh that's cool I'll try it. It's awful that after all the difficult jumping I've done this is the last moon.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    GF and I finished the main story last night. It seemed....kind of short and not very difficult?

I know there's a ton more to do in the game, but I kinda expected a tougher Bowser battle and more kingdoms to go through before the story end.

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    GF and I finished the main story last night. It seemed....kind of short and not very difficult?

I know there's a ton more to do in the game, but I kinda expected a tougher Bowser battle and more kingdoms to go through before the story end.

The main story in these games is never long or difficult. They want people to get through it in an enjoyable manner then spend the rest of the time with the extra stuff. There's plenty of difficult moons ahead of you.

• Options
    Yeah, since I think Galaxy, beating Bowser in a Mario game is just one step past 'well done, you finished the tutorial'.
    Then the real game starts.

• Options
    "The Real Super Mario Starts Here"

"Moon ahead. Be Wary of Moon"

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Don't give up, Skeleton"

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/super-mario-odyssey-players-use-glitch-to-break-jump-ro-1820622068

Well this pretty much got me past one of the only reasons I likely wasn't going to bother getting all of the moons, aka the fucking jump rope game.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, since I think Galaxy, beating Bowser in a Mario game is just one step past 'well done, you finished the tutorial'.

Ha, good to hear!
    I remember 64 being wayyyy longer, and I never played Galaxy from start to end.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    https://kotaku.com/super-mario-odyssey-players-use-glitch-to-break-jump-ro-1820622068

Well this pretty much got me past one of the only reasons I likely wasn't going to bother getting all of the moons, aka the fucking jump rope game.

How many moons do you get from the jump rope game? Cuz I feel like I got all possible jump rope related moons, and it wasn't that hard.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Two moons, one for 25ish and one for 100. I probably wouldn't hate it so much if it started off fast, but the bulk of the time is just suffering through that annoying slow buildup every time you miss a jump.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh, hah... well, I did get both those moons. In one try even!

Time to find myself an MLG sponsor and win all the LoL championships!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Finally got the jump rope moon so I'm now at 880 moons. Got nearly all of them without looking any up. Had to look up the last few purple coins on a few levels though. I consoled myself that the Bowser amiibo would do the same thing. Now I would just need to earn a lot of money to buy everything.

shadowane on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’m at 252 moons and pretty proud of myself. You guys are nuts.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »

It actually goes kind of fast once you clear the end. It's surprising.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Six wrote: »

It actually goes kind of fast once you clear the end. It's surprising.

Oh, I cleared the end. I haven’t started
    dark side
    yet not have I gone back to all the kingdoms. I’m not sure I’ll get to 500, but that’s my goal.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »

Ha, good to hear!
    I remember 64 being wayyyy longer, and I never played Galaxy from start to end.

A lot of kids play Mario games and unlike the earlier entries, Nintendo seems to want to give a chance for someone who hasn't fully developed spatial skills to finish the main stories in current Mario games.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Postgame comment:
    Meeting Peach and Tiara in each kingdom was cute, but I was a little disappointed she didn't have a unique outfit for every kingdom and that her outfits don't seem to be based on any previous depictions like Mario's.

• Options
    Sand Kingdom moon question (post game, I think):
    The Eastern Pillar one. How the hell?
    I can reach it with the gliding whatever it is from the top of the tower, but the block looks like one you can only break with a Bullet Bill, and I can't find any that can reach it.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Sand Kingdom moon question (post game, I think):
    The Eastern Pillar one. How the hell?
    I can reach it with the gliding whatever it is from the top of the tower, but the block looks like one you can only break with a Bullet Bill, and I can't find any that can reach it.

Take advantage of the Bullet Bill's detonation time and learn to master the long jump throw hat bounce off of it maneuver.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgZFT-pHjE

I found this video for you where he finds an easier way to do it.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The main story actually took me a good while to complete. It didn't have to though, I just got obsessed with finding as many moons as I could in each kingdom before moving on.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Is there a reason (post game)
    that I can buy a star in the Mushroom Kingdom shop over and over?

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    The collectible stars cap out at 800-something. You can then buy up to 999 for an additional reward.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    The collectible stars cap out at 800-something. You can then buy up to 999 for an additional reward.

Alright.
    Let's do this.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell