As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who's the best character in [Justice League]?

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Cyborg
    i was pleasantly surprised by cyborg in this movie! considering he's known almost universally as a kinda blah character, his own pain and confusion turning into weird power and potential, was handled well by fisher and delivered in a reasonable dose by the movie. i actually liked every member of the league aside from ben affleck, who was playing extremely 2017 ben affleck. it's a shame that he was the central figure (and that gal gadot had to share most of her "emotional journey" type scenes with his sleepy butt), because most everyone else had like... decent chemistry together. Given more space and time to exist with one another i think there's potential for the actors at least, i should say, especially for flash and cyborg. also superman with everyone! giving superman super-powered friends who aren't trying to gank him does wonders for the dude

the only other performance that stuck out as bad was amber heard's, but that scene with mera is an expository cluuuuunker and i don't know how much I can really blame her

mid-movie
    i actually found superman's resurrection sequence hilarious in a good way, because it was so weirdly, mundanely profane

i was expecting something more mythical, though, and truth be told i'd enjoy a version of superman that just... comes back. like that scene in the trailer with lois seeing superman in the cornfield and then waking up from a dream. like he was killed, but he isn't gone. obviously he isn't gone. i dunno, i don't need a reason like what was provided by JL, but I did find it funny seeing Cyborg and Flash straight-up graverobbing

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Cyborg
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Yeah it's just random orchestral noodling for most of it
    Just looking at the Spotify tracks, Junkie XL is only credited on that cover of Come Together that was used in the trailers

Did he like, co-compose the Wonder Woman theme? I thought it was a Hans Zimmer jam

yeah he and zimmer did that together. i dunno how it broke down but they both did BvS together

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    During the flashback to the first time Steppenwolf tried to invade...
    ... does anyone know who the one woman with the bow and the lava arm was supposed to be? The guy chucking thunderbolts was obviously Zeus, but for her I was thinking maybe more like a Polynesian goddess like Pele?

(In the Simone run on Wonder Woman, when the Olympians had left Diana turned to Kāne for help. But I don't know if the rest of the Hawaiian pantheon has been used before and that character had a pretty distinct look.)
    Now that you've said that, I like the idea that she was some volcano goddess, that would help to make it obvious that Steppenwolf was a world wide threat with a world wide (plus green lanterns) response. I think keeping it Greek might lessen that a bit, like saying the Greek gods are the only one's who could be bothered to show up.

Personally I was thinking Artemis since she's associated with hunting and bow usage. Athena was (to the best of my recollection anyway) more typically depicted with a spear, shield and helmet. Doesn't really say where lave arms would come into things, but maybe it's not lava so much as a manifestation of her god power.

Or, maybe some random character designer was told to populate a battlefield full of gods and parademons and decided "Hey, this one should have a bow and arrow, also lava arms", and never thought further about which goddess it was.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I saw this today, in a theatre with a lot of empty seats. It was really pretty good, I enjoyed it. The final battle is pretty boring but over all it's not bad at all.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Superman
    I also saw this today in a theater that was largely empty!

I thought it was fine, though I'm going to have trouble remembering anything that happened in it aside from like, one or two small bits. It's just...hard to muster any real emotion about it, one way or another, it felt very perfunctory.

I did like Cyborg, and I liked Wonder Woman, and I liked what little time with Superman we had, but Aquaman fell really flat for me, the Flash was there largely to deliver...mostly just bad jokes, and Ben Affleck was just...bad.

Favorite bits were:
    pretty much anytime the Flash and Superman interacted? like, when he realizes Superman is tracking him after he wakes up and then is just desperately dodging everything he throws at him, that was good, and so was Superman catching up with him to save the civilians, followed by Superman interrupting Flash's big proud moment by flying by with an entire apartment building

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman
    There were some really bad moments I think people just can't remember, because the movie is pretty forgettable.
    That scene with Martha and Lois was pretty cringe worthy. That thirsty joke was definitely added by Whedon and it sucked. Also, Clark said that Lois is the hungriest young reporter he ever met? The fuck? Lois is a highly respected Pulitzer winning veteran reporter. Clark is the junior reporter who's only had the job for like a year. That should have been a compliment Lois gave to Clark. Lois is the mentor, Clark is the pupil.

Also, some of Lois' lines to Clark after he was resurrected were so bad.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Wonder Woman
    tumblr_ozopq41mOp1rk5n91o1_500.jpg

This is the best thing I've seen all day

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Aquaman
    There were some really bad moments I think people just can't remember, because the movie is pretty forgettable.
    That scene with Martha and Lois was pretty cringe worthy. That thirsty joke was definitely added by Whedon and it sucked. Also, Clark said that Lois is the hungriest young reporter he ever met? The fuck? Lois is a highly respected Pulitzer winning veteran reporter. Clark is the junior reporter who's only had the job for like a year. That should have been a compliment Lois gave to Clark. Lois is the mentor, Clark is the pupil.

Also, some of Lois' lines to Clark after he was resurrected were so bad.
    The line was
    hungriest woman he's ever met. He didn't say anything about her being a young reporter.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2017
    Superman
    I just saw this. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. My main problems are: it was too long, some scenes drag on for no discernable reason (the Bat-Transport leaving the lake, for example), and Stepenwolf was a complete nothing villain

I really liked Cyborg. Aside from a few scenes, his CGI wasn't that bad (even though the design was terrible). This movie gave more reason for him to be in the League than any comics have.

Flash and Aquaman were okay, but mostly existed for comic relief. Flash's quips were mostly groaners, but Ezra Miller is fantastic at "eye" work. His confused shifty eyes got laughs from me

Random thoughts:
    I wasn't feeling the whole Superman fight after he was resurrected, although I appreciate the 10 minutes of shirtless Henry Caville. I never noticed the mustache CGI but I wasn't really looking at his face.

I admit I had fanboy glee at the Green Lantern in the flashback. I was surprised they didn't do more to tease Lanterns.

In fact, aside from the second post credit scene (which should have been flipped with the first) they didn't really tease a sequel at all. I wonder if they purposely got rid of stuff after all of BvS's movie teases being a mess.

Stepenwolf only said Darkseid a single time, and not in a way that anyone unfamiliar with his name would think it's a character instead of "dark side".

I really loved Superman (and not just because he only had pants on). Once he showed up for the final battle he was just so optimistic and actually inspiring. I would love to see a movie with that Superman (although please get rid of his ridiculously textured costume)

I also wonder if that Cyborg costume change tease was added after all the negative reactions. It looked good

Garlic Bread on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Aquaman
    Length was surprisingly not a complaint for me. I was actually happy it was the shortest DCEU film yet

I do echo earlier thoughts about Steppenwolf being a dull villain and wishing we'd gotten Darkseid instead

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Superman
    see317 wrote: »
    Count me into the "fine" camp. Some really actually good bits in there though which is nice. Very surprised by how much I enjoyed Cyborg, though
    the fact that he's basically a plot machine is a shame, but I suppose unavoidable with the origin and story.
    As mentioned earlier, Superman is actually Superman, (he even uses freeze breath what the hell??) that block of a whole AR magazine by Wonder Woman was fantastic and Flash is pretty decent.

Big plus points for not just killing all the Amazons

Bad points for Batman still being Gunman.

Aquaman had a decent intro I think, will be checking out his solo outing for sure as I think there's a solid foundation to go somewhere.

As for the credits scenes
    can't believe that Barry didn't stipulate a foot race.

Deathstroke eh? Bar has been set quite well by Arrowverse so that's going to be tough

Credits scene
    Crap, that means he's got to die on Arrow, right? Can't have two different Deathstrokes wandering around being all confusing to the viewers.
    No. They didn't use him for a few seasons of Arrow because of that, but then they changed their stance (what with Superman on Supergirl, all of Gotham,
    the Flash series, etc)

The CW show people have said explicitly "its their property, we use what we're allowed", but they've definitely backed off their previous "no TV characters that are in the movies" stance

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    The Flash
    there is no option for
    random russian family

so this poll is bullshit

oh and i just saw this movie and LOVED it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Superman
    there is no option for
    random russian family

so this poll is bullshit

Oh yeah, after the first...3 scenes? with them, I thought "goddamn they're in this movie more than Superman"

I also don't know why JK Simmons got fuckin' buffed for his 30 seconds of screen-time in a trenchcoat

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Superman
    I think that was actually for another movie?

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Isn’t Simmons basically always ripped though?

Superman
    Veldrin wrote: »

No, he definitely posted a lot of stuff online about getting buff for Justice League and he's in the movie for like 30 seconds total, in an overcoat so his body doesn't matter

The Flash
    Keith wrote: »
    there is no option for
    random russian family

so this poll is bullshit

Oh yeah, after the first...3 scenes? with them, I thought "goddamn they're in this movie more than Superman"

I also don't know why JK Simmons got fuckin' buffed for his 30 seconds of screen-time in a trenchcoat
    i want an entire movie about them

what's their deal

why do they live there

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Keith wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

No, he definitely posted a lot of stuff online about getting buff for Justice League and he's in the movie for like 30 seconds total, in an overcoat so his body doesn't matter

Ohh actually yeah I remember that now.

Though I just watched Whiplash on the weekend and he was definitely pretty buff in that too.

The Flash
    could be the reasons are all on the cutting room floor.

he looked fucking GREAT as jim gordon, though

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The Flash
    there is no option for
    random russian family

so this poll is bullshit

Yeah, that's fair.

I structured the poll this way because after I saw it I was talking to my friends and I made a joke about it being a 4/7 movie for me (which is pretty accurate to my for real feelings), with the four in question being the four characters I liked.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Pretty sure he said his getting jacked had nothing to do with a particular role and everything to do with staying healthy and competing with Jai Courtney as they were working together on something

Edit: https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-jk-simmons-got-jackedwith-zac-efrons-abs-trainer

UnbrokenEva on
    Gosh I hope I get my act together and look even remotely as fit as that by 60.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Superman
    There's part of a good flick in this movie but it was covered up by shitty cgi and a really bad batman portrayal.

Wonder Woman and the amazons were still the best part of the dc movie verse.

Aquaman wasn't bad. I'll watch his movie I suppose.

The flash was aight.

Batman sucked.

But my biggest take away is when the fuck is Henry Cavill getting to work in a solo superman movie with some actual heart that isn't fucking sad as shit? Make it bright make it fun. Superman is such a cool dude and they owe it to the character to give him his due. There was quite a bit of that in this movie. I want more of it versus like the 18th Spider-Man movie or another batman movie.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    could be the reasons are all on the cutting room floor.

he looked fucking GREAT as jim gordon, though

He looked like someone typed "Jim Gordon" into a computer generator and it sythansized out a Jim Gordon based on a template.

Anywho, the biggest thing that strikes me about this movie is how it feels like a sequel to a series of films we never got. Like, aside from a few plot points if someone told me that this movie was in a different continuity with everything except Wonder Woman, I'd believe them.
    Batman is DadJoke-Man for most of the film, rather than the brutal, at the end-of-his-rope Batman from BvS.
    Superman is a cornball goody-two-shoes
    They describe Superman as having been a symbol of hope for the world, but I never got even the slightest bit of that from the previous two movies.

Like, it feels like this is the Earth-B version of Justice League while we got the Earth-A version of Man of Steel and BvS.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The Flash
    It felt like there was another Superman movie before this that I just hadn't seen, for sure. BvS had some of that feeling too.

I'd disagree on Batman though.
    Batman gleefully murdering parademons (which are sapient beings, by the by) with an assault rifle feels entirely in line with his BvS and Suicide Squad appearances.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman
    Batman's humor should have been on the dry side - in the movie it's Avengers-level quippy, and not that good besides.

I'm actually optimistic that they have a chance of making the next movies better: Snyder isn't in the helm, Justice League shows they're not afraid to ditch elements which aren't working, and the things that work in this movie really work.

It pretty much hinges on who they'll get on the helm now. That and whoever's in the WB committee that oversees the movies.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Wonder Woman
    I think it's kind of shocking, but I really think a lot of this movie is undercut by the movies that came before it. If this felt like it fit into the universe they've built already I would probably buy a lot more shit that falls flat in this movie, without any adjustments to the movie we have.

sarukun wrote: »
    I think it's kind of shocking, but I really think a lot of this movie is undercut by the movies that came before it. If this felt like it fit into the universe they've built already I would probably buy a lot more shit that falls flat in this movie, without any adjustments to the movie we have.

I feel the same way; though I'd rather have had the previous movies be more in the tone of this film, rather than vice versa.

Wonder Woman
    They tried to change the tone of the franchise in the laziest way possible. Instead of really addressing some of those criticisms and have some kind of in story way to explain the change in tone, they just pretend like they've always had this lighter more jokey tone. It's just ends up being a really half assed retcon.

I think the fate of the DCEU is in a lot of trouble after such a disappointing box office opening. Unless there's some Thanksgiving miracle, the movie will just barely break even.

Other than Aquaman, which has pretty much finished filming, and Wonder Woman 2, nothing is guaranteed.

WB might as well just go the route of Fox and let individual directors do their own thing.

edited November 2017
    They tried to change the tone of the franchise in the laziest way possible. Instead of really addressing some of those criticisms and have some kind of in story way to explain the change in tone, they just pretend like they've always had this lighter more jokey tone. It's just ends up being a really half assed retcon.

I think the fate of the DCEU is in a lot of trouble after such a disappointing box office opening. Unless there's some Thanksgiving miracle, the movie will just barely break even.

Other than Aquaman, which has pretty much finished filming, and Wonder Woman 2, nothing is guaranteed.

WB might as well just go the route of Fox and let individual directors do their own thing.

I think the next Margot Robbie film has a good chance of being made, at least. Whatever it winds up being.

Undead Scottsman on
    I liked this more than Ragnarok

Hot takes, get your hot takes...

The Flash
    well, at least i am not alone in this belief

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

My phone is on fire.

Tube, you have to buy me a new phone.

I could see liking this more than Ragnarok, but only because Ragnarok seemed like a love it or hate it film, while Justice League was pretty inoffensively average.

Wonder Woman
    Ghosts made of scissors hate Ragnarok.

Cyborg
    Tube wrote: »

yeah I did too actually

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also I like his stuff but is there a worse "edgy" name for a composer than Junkie XL

To be fair he picked his name in 1991 or something.

Dude's been around (including Mad Max)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    I will say to this movies detriment I can’t remember much of what happened in it

Other big negative: Lois could scarcely have been worse. Here’s an alternate take: maybe she throws herself at her work, takes more risks, develops a death wish. You know, like Lois Lane might. Maybe Batman gets her out of a situation and there’s a cool fight scene! Anything but “she sat around and got sad”

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Wonder Woman
    I mean, if anything my whole issue with all these movies has been “that’s not what X would do”.

Except WW of course.