As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's that time again - Internet (and tech) Event of the Year: 2007

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
So it's been yet another year and we are all still here on Penny Arcade posting away. It's time once again to figure out what the biggest internet event was of the past 12 months, what internet happening will be the thing that people remember 2007 for.

Last year when we did this the biggest winner in everyone's eyes was Youtube. Even though it was started in 2005, 2006 was the year it went main stream and changed internet video forever.

So what happened this year that changed it all? What event or website or meme went beyond a simple internet fad and really stands above all other internet happenings of 2007?

----

Second category: What was the tech event of 2007? Can we just say the iPhone and be done? Windows Vista being released should be up there at the top as well, not because it was a success, but because of how big a failure it was and still is. I think the iPhone blows everything else out of the water and does not leave much else to be discussed.

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Chocolate Rain.

That shit was incredible, and changed the way we looked at the internet and the people in it forever.

Deviant Hands on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Chocolate Rain.

That shit was incredible, and changed the way we looked at the internet and the people in it forever.

I still haven't seen that. I can't be arsed to watch some video of someone doing something or another. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Chocolate Rain.

I still haven't seen that. I can't be arsed to watch some video of someone doing something or another. :P

from
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x2W12A8Qow

Deviant Hands on
    edited December 2007
    Chocolate Rain.

from
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x2W12A8Qow
    I can't be arsed to watch some video of someone doing something or another. :P

:P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2007
    Just watch it.

Deviant Hands on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If youtube won last year, I bet Facebook will be this year's winner. Say what you want about it, but everyone is on that shit.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If youtube won last year, I bet Facebook will be this year's winner. Say what you want about it, but everyone is on that shit.

This.

Burtletoy on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Agreed actually. Facebook and social networking sites are becoming huge. Especially since facebook's inclusion of those apps, regardless of wether you like them or not.

And Chocolate Rain is so stupid.

SniperGuy on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Either Facebook or 2 Girls 1 Cup.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE RIGHT NAAAOOOOOWWWWW
    youtube again FTW

Spacehog85 on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could we not have a rule to exclude such nominations, on the grounds that everyone who uses social networking sites is a failure? It seems unfair to deny Stage6 and Let's Play their chance to shine as new Internet developments that are actually good; the former for providing free streaming video that's appropriate to today's average Internet connection, as opposed to appropriate for the sixteenth fucking century, the latter for popularising watching others play video games as opposed to playing them oneself, which is no small feat.

Mumblyfish on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    2girls1cup.

Fixed that for you.

There are much worse shock sites out there, but for introducing them to society at large, 2g1c gets massive props.

Facebook is definitely going to win though. It just freaking exploded out of obscurity and into the fabric of society this year.

Recoil42 on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Facebook is definitely going to win though. It just freaking exploded out of obscurity and into the fabric of society this year.

What makes Facebook so much better than Myspace, or is Facebook just this year's Myspace like fad? And before Myspace it was Friendster. Is social networking that much more amazing this year than in previous years? Just like everyone moved to Facebook I bet everyone will move to some other one in the next year.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited December 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Could we not have a rule to exclude such nominations, on the grounds that everyone who uses social networking sites is a failure? It seems unfair to deny Stage6 and Let's Play their chance to shine as new Internet developments that are actually good; the former for providing free streaming video that's appropriate to today's average Internet connection, as opposed to appropriate for the sixteenth fucking century, the latter for popularising watching others play video games as opposed to playing them oneself, which is no small feat.

I have to say that shitting on social networking sites makes you look pretty stupid. They are part of the world now, its time to deal with it.

Facebook has like a million times the functionality of its predecessors.

DodgeBlan on

• RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    2girls1cup.

Fixed that for you.

There are much worse shock sites out there, but for introducing them to society at large, 2g1c gets massive props.

Not to mention it's well on it's way to replacing that god-awful Myspace. Anything of that caliber must be good.

Raere on
    Raere.png
    edited December 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I have to say that shitting on social networking sites makes you look pretty stupid. They are part of the world now, its time to deal with it.

Not really. Just because social networking sites are "part of the world now" doesn't make them any less fucking stupid.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Not really. Just because social networking sites are "part of the world now" doesn't make them any less fucking stupid.

I'd like to hear why you think they're so stupid. Facebook is not only a wonderful tool but a great form of entertainment. That and it almost has the same addictiveness as crack and WoW.

Lail on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

What makes Facebook so much better than Myspace, or is Facebook just this year's Myspace like fad? And before Myspace it was Friendster. Is social networking that much more amazing this year than in previous years? Just like everyone moved to Facebook I bet everyone will move to some other one in the next year.

They will evetually, now that Facebook has shittered itself all up with apps, and started becoming more myspace-like.

But for the time being, well.. Just go take a look at any single average myspace page out there, and tell me the opportunity to sweep market share up from them was not just waiting in the wings.

Recoil42 on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am super pissed that "leave britney alone" is time magazine's number one youtube video

Randall_Flagg on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd say Facebook for best new web thing (that or Cat Face by Weebl) and the iPhone as best new tech thing.

ben0207 on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Facebook has been around and popular since 2005 or earlier, so I'm not sure why it would be considered Anything of the Year 2007. They created public networks in 2006, as well, so the only thing they've done in 2007 is create the application platform, which sucks in the first place.

Monoxide on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What the hell is so special about Facebook this year? I knew about it last year, it's not much different now, except they added those dumb applications now

EDIT - What Mono said.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited December 2007
    Minifeeds came out this years aswell no?

Burtletoy on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Minifeeds came out this years aswell no?

September 2006

Monoxide on
    edited December 2007
    Meh.

Burtletoy on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Facebook has been around and popular since 2005 or earlier, so I'm not sure why it would be considered Anything of the Year 2007. They created public networks in 2006, as well, so the only thing they've done in 2007 is create the application platform, which sucks in the first place.

Isn't it the same issue as voting Youtube last year? Yeah both have been out for a while, but arguably didn't explode in popularity till later.

Also, remember a few months ago when Microsoft invested $240 million in Facebook, thus putting a $15 billion value on it. That move alone gave the company a lot of legitimacy over other social networking sites.

Anyways, I'm biased because I joined earlier this year. It was right after the VT massacre, and I heard a lot of fellow students/alumni were using it to communicate and spread support, so I quickly created an account. It was amazing how such a tool was able to bring VT students and alumni together so quickly and so easily.

Afterwards, it's still been a great way to keep in contact with old acquaintances and friends in a much more ... civilized, mature, and structured manner than MySpace ever was. Certainly the apps have made it go downhill to a large extent, but it's also provided a lot of awesome gems, such as Scrabulous. :)

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Ondrae OciousOndrae Ocious Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the idea of the Facebook apps is great. The majority of them are dumb but there are some gems available. Being able to completely customize the functionality of your online profile is something I am keen on.

I vote Facebook apps and iphone.

I also think the death of tv-links was pretty significant.

Ondrae Ocious on
    Life is a ____, depending on how you dress her.
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Stickam (NO INTERNET! BAD INTERNET!) and the Asus Eee PC. (I can't believe it's not Windows...)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited December 2007
    I can has cheezburger?

DodgeBlan on

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can has cheezburger?

Shit, yeah, this.

ben0207 on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am super pissed that "leave britney alone" is time magazine's number one youtube video
    Is it? That is really really lame and sad.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited December 2007
    How about something like a lot the major TV companies are moving a lot of broadcasting to online. Adult Swim has had Fix/Video for a while now, The daily show opened an online archieve for ALL their previous episodes this year, and I believe you can watch Heros and some other NBC shows online plus theres that Juiced thing or whatever it was called that came out this(?) year.

Burtletoy on
    edited December 2007
    Actually I change my answer to What What

DodgeBlan on

edited December 2007
    Facebook is going down the shitter with third party apps, IMO.

Soon enough it will just be myspace.

Hell, I wonder if they will eventually allow people to customize the HTML of their profiles too.

Deviant Hands on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    iPhone

Seriously, if I could afford one I would be all over that shit.

The_Scarab on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    Is it? That is really really lame and sad.

I don't see why people thought that was funny. Fuck. It made my eyes bleed when it came out... Even my friends were laughing about it.

urahonky on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Facebook is going down the shitter with third party apps, IMO.

Soon enough it will just be myspace.

Hell, I wonder if they will eventually allow people to customize the HTML of their profiles too.

Yeah, I don't think Facebook could win, it's just another fad site in the social networking crazy which started quite a while ago. The event of the year has to be something that no other year had before it, social networking has been around for a long time now and Facebook is just another one in a long line of sites before it and will eventually just be another site people wonder what happened to.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Everyone went to myspace. Then they started editing their myspace pages. Soon these myspace pages became a garish mess of eyerape, vomited onto your screen by the millions of apparently blind retards that inhabit the internet.
    So everyone went to facebook. Facebook was clean, it was neat, it was simple. Then they opened it up, and let people make apps. No less than one week later, everyone's page is now decked out in the most garish, retarded and cluttered crap, hand-picked by the same band of retards who uglied up myspace.

No I do not want to be your Top Friend.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Everyone went to myspace. Then they started editing their myspace pages. Soon these myspace pages became a garish mess of eyerape, vomited onto your screen by the millions of apparently blind retards that inhabit the internet.
    So everyone went to facebook. Facebook was clean, it was neat, it was simple. Then they opened it up, and let people make apps. No less than one week later, everyone's page is now decked out in the most garish, retarded and cluttered crap, hand-picked by the same band of retards who uglied up myspace.

No I do not want to be your Top Friend.

I honestly use Facebook as a catalogue of all the people I know. It's actually pretty neat to look at other people and see that they know some of the same people you know. I found out through Facebook that the majority of people I worked at for my first job were associated with people from my second job. Like, they went to parties together and shit.

My town alone has over 10,000 people in it, and the general area has at least eight times that. So, it was a weird coincidence anyway.

My profile is as clean as you can get. I have one or two applications (the movies one because I enjoy answering trivia, and the 360 one because I like showing my Gamerscore off), and the rest of my page is just how it was back before the applications entered the scene.

I really don't like how people get inundated with invitations to join all these applications. It's annoying as anything. It's only a matter of time before they add something that'll pop up like bulletins do on MySpace (the Facebook notes aren't quite there yet) and then the circle of shit will be complete.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I'm on Facebook and Myspace, and have decided to call it quits there, since all I do is keep track of largely the same group of people across both sites, when I've got email addresses and whatever for all of them anyway. It's just amusing that everyone left Myspace to go over to Facebook, and cocked that up too.
    I recently went through and removed everything that wasn't bog-standard and basic. No fun-walls, no pirates zombies ninjas vampires or robots.

edit: and yes, the "do you want to add this applicationOHAIIINVITEDYOURFRIENDSTOO" thing pisses me off no end. No I haven't been asked to add this application by someone I know, it's an automated system that I do not want to be a part of. Now leave me alone.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png