As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things are getting Stranger all the time

124»

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I super bought Eleven's arc, I don't know. It seemed her motivations were pretty obvious to me.
    You're telling me an emotionally damaged kid wouldn't seek out their mother? Or if they had super powers wouldn't try to get revenge? Especially someone like Ele who can kill with a look. I don't buy at all the idea she was "just shuttled off" to up the drama. It actually was really important to address those issues for her long term stability.

Like, Ele is super charming. But she's been beaten down like a pit dog. You press her, you end up dead.
    The part with her mom made the most sense, because they HAD to close that loop if they wanted her to end up with Hopper at the end. We know her birth mother is still alive, so they needed to provide some type of closure to explain why she wouldn't want to stay there, as opposed to being adopted by someone else. It was less for Eleven's sake, and more as a way to show you that no, her mom is sick, and won't snap out of it just because her daughter is back. What they did to the aunt is pretty shitty though. She seems like a good person, and even though Eleven feels so betrayed because she was talking to someone about her, she was calling Hopper, the same person who ends up being her caregiver. If she was calling the government or the newspaper to cash in on her or something I'd get, but she called the only other adult who actually cared about Eleven's well-being.

The tangent to Chicago was mostly ill-timed, and very poorly placed.

Actually, that spoiler about Jane's aunt:
    Whoever she called, she specifically mentioned to them about last year when the sheriff and Will's mom came to see the aunt. She wasn't talking to Hopper.

At the end of the call, she says 'Thanks Flo', as in the secretary at Hawkins PD. She was using the card Hopper gave her last year.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I stand corrected. It wasn't very loud and my pneumonia has interfered with my hearing a bit. Jane apparently thought she was calling someone else. Or maybe just didn't want Hop to find her.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I think she didn't wait to find out who it was

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I stand corrected. It wasn't very loud and my pneumonia has interfered with my hearing a bit. Jane apparently thought she was calling someone else. Or maybe just didn't want Hop to find her.

To Jane, The call sounded a LOT like when the guy at the diner in season 1 called social services and the Bad Men showed up instead to kill the guy and snatch Eleven.

Javen on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I was a bit put off by Eleven and Max, but honestly, that's exactly how a socially stunted pre-teen would probably react to having her first and only friend/crush hanging out with another girl. I really doubt they'll have it continue to be a thing in season 3.

Stuff like the superpower tantrum at the cabin also seemed 'ehh' as they were happening, but actually make total sense given what she's been through. A kid with superpowers is DEFINITELY going to use them in immature ways, because someone in the 6th grade is immature by definition.

And Eleven/Jane has had far from the standard amount and type of socialization.

steam_sig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Finally finished season 2
    Personally, I was a little put off by the amount of focus on twelve year olds having romances. It really felt out of place.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Personally, I was a little put off by the amount of focus on twelve year olds having romances. It really felt out of place.
    How so?
    12 year old romances are all over the place in the type of media Stranger Things takes inspiration from

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    How so?
    12 year old romances are all over the place in the type of media Stranger Things takes inspiration from
    The way that Mike and Eleven are treated like separated lovers desperate to see each other just felt weird to me. It felt more like something you'd see from adults than from middle school aged kids.

And I honestly think that Max's whole character arc really didn't need the romance element. It just felt tacked on.

Also, just with my own personal experience in middle school, no one actually danced at the school dances.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    How so?
    The way that Mike and Eleven are treated like separated lovers desperate to see each other just felt weird to me. It felt more like something you'd see from adults than from middle school aged kids.

And I honestly think that Max's whole character arc really didn't need the romance element. It just felt tacked on.

Also, just with my own personal experience in middle school, no one actually danced at the school dances.

They did at mine!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    We absolutely danced in middle school but you had to leave a lot of room for Jesus

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    We absolutely danced in middle school but you had to leave a lot of room for Jesus

Christ, such a third wheel!

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    being the bread in a jesus sandwich shapes wholesome, responsible citizens

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    being the bread in a jesus sandwich shapes wholesome, responsible citizens

let His loaves be a lesson

f2ojmwh3geue.png