As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oil spill

13»

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I mean, that’s kinda fun.

8406wWN.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What did I fucking say.

Of course the god damn commission voted to approve the Keystone XL across Nebraska.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH FUCK YOU

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ugh.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Corporate hedonism is a hell of a thing.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    To clarify, their vote was an "is it in the public interest?" vote that specifically excluded environmental considerations. Which is complete bullshit that the environment is not part of the public interest.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really the bigger question who is buying Shale oil anymore?
    Ft McMurry doesn't look like Mordor for fun

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I propose making the fossil fuel companies actually pay for all of the damage their spills cause.

All of it. Not just what they can get away with paying. Enough to actually repair the area damaged and return it to fully a usable state.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    I propose making the fossil fuel companies actually pay for all of the damage their spills cause.

All of it. Not just what they can get away with paying. Enough to actually repair the area damaged and return it to fully a usable state.

Breaking news:

Label has been found dead in their bed, of suspected suicide. The cause of death was 37 gunshot wounds to the head - Police are still searching for the weapon in question, and any shell casings.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

The problem is that would be decades if not centuries in the future. Oil spills fuck up generations of stuff.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The solution is simple:

Go back in time and convince wealthy people that alternative energy is the future and the best way they can invest their money.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really the bigger question who is buying Shale oil anymore?
    Ft McMurry doesn't look like Mordor for fun

...Everyone?

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Build a pipeline that doesn't spill

I think the issue is ultimately oil destroys gaskets, and I think they use gaskets frequently in pipelines to join two segments together? Leaking is inevitable with pretty much every gasket?

Gaskets in pipelines are designed to be crushed when the adjoining flanges are bolted and properly torqued. The idea being that the gaskets are made of a softer material like iron that can deform to adjust to any inconsistencies in the mating surfaces and prevent leakage. Gaskets are destroyed on purpose to give a good seal, and have to be replaced any time the piping element is repaired. See ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Division 1, Mandatory Appendix 2 for bolting and gasket design criteria, and ASME B31.3 for gasket usage in piping systems.

A large pipeline is one of those ideas that looks simple from a 50,000 foot view, and is incredibly complicated when you get into the details. You have to consider local elevations, temperature conditions, thermal expansion, maximum external loads, pig launching stations, radiography of welds, etc, etc, etc.

Pipelines, no matter how well designed, will eventually leak. If you make up some figure like a chance of 1 leak per 10,000 miles of pipe per year of service, then you'd expect something like Keystone to leak every third year or so. The scope of these projects is enormous to the point that leakage is inevitable.

My major issue with these pipelines is that it's all a cost savings effort by the oil industry. It's cheaper to build a pipeline to transport the difficult to process tar sands oil from central Canada to Houston (southernmost United States) for refining than it is to build up refining capacity in Canada. So oil companies are trading our environment for their profit margins. This pisses me off so much because it's exactly the kind of thing that the Government is supposed to protect its citizens from.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pig launching stations?

For reference on the Nebraska vote:

Keystone-pipeline-route.png

The shortcut proposed as Phase 4 almost completely removes Canada from any risk of pipeline issues and squarely dumps it on the US. It is international NIMBYism.

Pig launching stations?

I googled it. It's not as interesting as it sounds.

Pig launching stations?

A pig launcher is where they run Piping and Inspection Gauges (PIG) that go through a section of pipeline taking measurements so they can validate the integrity of it. It's a weak point in the piping integrity because it's a place where you can access the interior of the system.

And hey, at least I know people are reading my post! =)

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Pig launching stations?

It's just a little airborne

It's still good it's still good.

Heffling wrote: »
    Pig launching stations?

A pig launcher is where they run Piping and Inspection Gauges (PIG) that go through a section of pipeline taking measurements so they can validate the integrity of it. It's a weak point in the piping integrity because it's a place where you can access the interior of the system.

Oh no, I just have a script that informs me whenever someone posts "pig" and some form of "launch" in the same sentence.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Pig launching stations?

Oh no, I just have a script that informs me whenever someone posts "pig" and some form of "launch" in the same sentence.

i'm not one for kink shaming but SHAME ON YOU

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pig launching stations?

Least Salmon Cannon lives up to its name
    https://youtu.be/ShYsBiB7wlE

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    For reference on the Nebraska vote:

Keystone-pipeline-route.png

The shortcut proposed as Phase 4 almost completely removes Canada from any risk of pipeline issues and squarely dumps it on the US. It is international NIMBYism.

I dunno, since Nebraska approved it it seems like reverse NIMBYism.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tom Sawyer'ism?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The problem is that would be decades if not centuries in the future. Oil spills fuck up generations of stuff.

"problem"
    seems like that would solve the problem to me, make them actually pay the full cost of these systems and it's suddenly way more profitable to invest in other energy supply infrastructures instead!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Pig launching stations?

please don't hurt pigs

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    But I want their meat and skin

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor