As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm accepted into the beta. But I messed up something so now I think I have the wrong SOE account and I can't register my beta participation or whatever.

In conclusion, I'm not going to get to sail the seven seas :x

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KingMole wrote: »
    I couldn't play the stress test much because of the lag (naturally) and I got into the beta. I tried to play it over a couple of days but even with all of the settings turned all of the way down I couldn't improve the lag. The character customization was nice, and the battles were cool at first until my cannons stopped reloading (had to wait at least a half hour to finish one of the missions because my AI teammate had the only working boat with cannons on it), but the swashbuckling combat was terrible. I'd appear on the enemy ship, they would suddenly teleport in front of me and I'd try to do the moves to get them off balance and then strike them but it never worked and I'd die.

I've since uninstalled it but if it gets a lot better I'd be interested to pick it up again

That was some excellent beta testing.
    exactly what i was thinking

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    well you get what you pay for.

cliffski on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just got keyed and I will let everyone know how it's going this weekend after I download and install. If anyone has specific questions feel free to PM me.

PeasantDave on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I'm accepted into the beta. But I messed up something so now I think I have the wrong SOE account and I can't register my beta participation or whatever.

In conclusion, I'm not going to get to sail the seven seas :x

How do you even do that? I haven't been able to figure it out since they moved to SOE or whatever :?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey do we have a PA Fleet yet? My ingame name is Alvaro Lepanto with the Spanish. Though I suppose I could change nations if we get a Fleet going on one of the other nations.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love how the economy and quest stuff is supposed to work out in this game. It gained my interest when previously I had none. The only bad stuff I seem to be hearing is just bug issues that should be fixed before release or within a patch.

armageddonbound on
    edited December 2007
    For a beta, the game is running relatively smoothly. Playing in the middle of the night was not bad at all (although I have run into some issues). I have Spanish characters on Blackbeard and Black Bart, we should probably start a fleet on the next server that opens up, unless everyone has chosen Spanish coincidentally.

My character is Don Wawa.

Population-wise, it seems the Pirates and British tend to be the largest nations, with Spanish and French being smaller.

PeasantDave on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    VIVE LA FRANCE!

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been playing this for a day and yeah it has problems but nothing outside of beta problems I have seen before.

The developers seem to be active with the community and especially active in fixing issues as they arise.

The gameplay is fun. It reminds me of "Pirates!", except much more in depth due to it's mmo nature.

The combat is fairly fun, but the ships you fight usually don't show much intelligence. The AI is usually only a problem if you have a really good ship because they CPU just can't compete that well. However, some missions have proven to be challenging at the time that I completed them. Red Tide for example.

Eh, the economics is really what interests me. I have not had enough time to really play around with it, but the system seems like it could be a lot of fun, especially building warehouses and production buildings at different ports and shipping for higher prices.

Sailing can be a chore, but really it is not so bad, you just have to learn how to sail in the sweet spot and find the currents for an extra boost in speed.

I am playing French on Rockham, in case anyone is interested.

Noxy on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't recreated my char since the closed beta, but I think the game has a lot of promise. a ton of polish for a beta. the combat is refreshingly different from normal MMO fare, but on the other hand, I can see how it might get really boring in the long-term. different classes may have different proclivities, but in the end, level 1 to level 50, privateer, naval officer, pirate, or freetrader, you'll always just be firing broadsides at enemy ships and running goods from port to port. no skill or ability is entirely game-changing. hate to bring up WoW, but almost every class gets a real cool ability at least every 10 levels in that game. here, the best you can hope for is the ability to slow down one enemy ship like 10% every 5 minutes -_-

DiscoZombie on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, just got my beta invite after completely forgetting that this game exists. Now I've got an English NO (L12) on Rackham, a pirate (L1) on Blackbeard, and nothing on Blackbart. I won't be changing my Rackham character, but I could change the others for PA goodness so long as I can try a pirate on one of them. I've done a lot of PvE and very little PvP, so the idea of free & frequent ship upgrades is irresistible.

The game is fun so far, but I'm wondering what kind of staying power it has in the upper levels (and what'll happen to low level PvP as the majority of the populace becomes high level).

Edit: Wow, just read that PotBS isn't multi-threaded. Maybe some of my performance concerns will be gone when I turn off hyper-threading. Only an hour or two until I have the answer.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    edited December 2007
    Blackbeard/Spanish: Don Wawa
    Rockham/Pirate: Kevin Billard

I think I am going to be playing my pirate character mostly.

PeasantDave on
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm fiddling around with an English Free Trader (lvl 9) on Black Bart. The game seems interesting so far, although I haven't even left the first port yet (still doing npc missions for exp and money). I'm curious to get started on the whole trade business later on, when I feel I have more finiancial stability... and perhaps a new ship.

I've looked into getting a Bermuda Sloop, which I've read is a good ship to upgrade from the newbie ship with (although I'm a complete noob on what ship's better and why at the moment), but a player made one sure is expensive.

Fantasyrogue on
  • HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Started playing last night, so anyone up for starting a PA society?

Hibiki on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm Spanish on Rackham.

Wa...wait, did this npc just tell me "The Goods Must Flow"?

YES.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
    edited December 2007
    Ok, I've been playing for a while and I really like this game. Right now my main character is on Rackham and he just dinged level 9.

Howeverrrr, I did manage to find a pretty rare shipbuilding book with this character so I can make Masterwork Small Ships. I'm in the process of pumping out 5 Bermuda Sloops right now. So if ya'll do decide to play, come on over to Rackham.

I'm playing Spanish and my character's name is Daric Malazan.

Daric on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there any word on when the beta will go non-paying-fileplanet people?

I was hoping to try out the stress test, but the installer crapped out on my PC and I never got a chance to

Gdiguy on
    edited December 2007
    I got a key off of eurogamer and the download off fileplanet (the full installer is subscriber only but apparantly if you download the seperate parts, they're not subscriber.. odd).

Didn't get much chance to try anything today as Black Bart was acting up something fierce when I was trying to play (really long load times, I gave up when I had been staring at a loading screen for over 10 minutes). I just logged in now, server was quiet but smooth, and bought myself a sloop on the auction house. It was the cheapest I could find but it's way on the other side of the caribbean so I guess I've got some sailing to do. But that's a task for after I get some sleep.

Fantasyrogue on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm sure this game has changed a lot with Sony taking over since I was in the early beta...

but IN the early beta, the naval combat was actually incredibly boring and uneventful.

I got into a good dozen battles and each one of them consisted of me and the AI just zooming parallel to each other until one of us was dead.

I hope this game has improved a lot in that year or so.

*edit*

The UI still looks like crap, that isn't a good sign.

That UI gives DDO a run for its money in the "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS SHIT" department.

Jasconius on
    edited December 2007
    What're you expecting? Your ship to fly?

Daric on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daric wrote: »

Well, I'm not a 18th century naval warfare expert, but I'm pretty sure that boats just didn't find each other and then go at full bore speed next to one another while they shot back and forth for miles and miles.

Jasconius on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I played this during the stress test and a week ago.

It's not fully my cup of tea. I'm more a sucker for your fantasy MMO types but I gotta say:
    1. Nice graphics. Nothing to blow you away but they are clean, crisp and non-annoying (something many MMO games can't seem to get right -- pick a style and do it well darnit!)
    2. Good sound
    3. Non-annoying and easy to use UI (why is this so hard too? I think WoW, L2, and GW are the only ones that haven't gotten in my way of all the MMOs out there -- LotRO isn't too shabby either)
    4. Good concepts and setting
    5. Not-so-hot sword combat -- it has a good concept on paper but they really haven't been able to get the controls/play down. I hope they do as I give them credit for coming up with a non-standard way of combat.
    6. Ship combat is great
    7. Economy system is intriguing -- this is one area though I'm not good at nor have much interest in games which is why games like this don't appeal to me as much but at least the concepts sounded good.
    8. Some good story lines

All in all, if you like pvp ala eve, pirates, economy type games you should check it out. While I won't play it much I do hope it does well as the developers seem very attached to their game and, unlike way too many games, are doing a quality job with what's there (not perfect but again, play many MMOs and you can tell the ones where, bugs or not, they generally knew what they wanted to do with the game and care about it).

Timmer on
    edited December 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    That UI gives DDO a run for its money in the "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS SHIT" department.

Wow, really? I mean I agree DDO's UI is one of the worst I've ever tried to use but PotBS never annoyed me. It's not GW quality pretty or refined but there wasn't anything that made me slam my head against a while like DDO (could use bigger icons though -- I don't get why UI makers think 16x16 icons are a good thing in this day of high-res screens)

Timmer on
    edited December 2007
    I'm sure this game has changed a lot with Sony taking over since I was in the early beta...
    Sony took over? Are you sure you don't mean "since Sony became the publisher"? Because there is a huge difference between taking over and being a publisher.

Yup, just checked. Sony is purely the publisher. Not saying things can't change but believe it or not just because it's SOE doesn't mean using them as a publisher = being taken over.

Timmer on
  • padrescoutpadrescout Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ok, Rusty went over this 5000000 times around the time they decided to team up with Sony, we will go over it one more time. Sony is only distributing the game and doing like minor stuff, forums or something. All the designing the game, writing the game, anything at all remotely related to game design or implementation is 100% FLS. So no one worry, Sony had ZERO influence in the direction of the game.

on that note, I don't care for it much, ZERO exploration, incredibly repetitive missions , I got REALLY bored with being a ship after about a month but hey, it's not for me, there's loads of people out there that would eat this stuff up. All in all, that's good- I think it will find it's place in the market.

So yeah, good luck to the FLS folks.

padrescout on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was dead excited about it, but then found it totally TOTALLY dull. It was fun for a few nights and then you realise just how little variety there actually is quest wise. Also the way your avatar walks around towns feels like you're back playing morrowind.

Lly on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Well, I'm not a 18th century naval warfare expert, but I'm pretty sure that boats just didn't find each other and then go at full bore speed next to one another while they shot back and forth for miles and miles.

You would be wrong. They did this quite a bit. It all depended on the respective captains, if they were equally matched ships they would frequently line up and just blast each other.

The games combat is only like this at it's simplest level. Wind and maneuvering is extremely important when fighting other people.

The AI does blow ass though.

Cabezone on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cabezone wrote: »

You would be wrong. They did this quite a bit. It all depended on the respective captains, if they were equally matched ships they would frequently line up and just blast each other.

The games combat is only like this at it's simplest level. Wind and maneuvering is extremely important when fighting other people.

The AI does blow ass though.

Well yes, but most of the time your ideal goal was to "cross the enemy's T" so you could bring your broadsides to bear but only be on the receiving end of the enemies forward guns. But Naval warfare of the period wasn't noted for it's complexity.

Thomamelas on
  • johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My review, kinda economy focused.

Swashbuckling - Obviously tacked on recently, no where near the level of quality as the rest of the game. I think its a great touch, and I am looking forward to it getting better. I think it works nicely as a quick mini game for the boarding aspect of the game.

Ship Combat - Very much like Pirates! Wind can either save you or kill you. Different types of shot to mess with your opponent in different ways. That sloop getting too annoying? Take out the sails with Chain Shot. Want to board that merchant galleon, but your 20 guys have no way of taking down their 300, take em out with Grape Shot. I also like the fact that it is possible to take a small ship and take down a large one. Last night I took my bermuda sloop and sunk a Trade Galleon. Sure it took me a while, but the fact that it is still possible is pretty cool.

Economy - Best economy since UO in my opinion. Every product is created by players, excluding civilian level ships which are no where near as good as a player made ship. The other thing I think is great is the fact that every craftable item is worth something, and will be used at some point. You think making cheese is pointless, nope need that for ship making at some point. Makes everything worth while. I'm going to put an example of a product that is used to make ships at the bottom of the post, just to show how insane the crafting system is. If you wish to get into production, you will find that it is very casual, no spending hours mining in a mine, or fishing etc. Each shop generates labor time (real time) and whenever you get back to your shop you can generate a certain amount of goods depending on how many hours you use up.

Global PVP - It seriously is a MMO version of 1701 AD, where each of the islands have different products that you can gather with warehouses/shops. If a island with say Sulfer is blockaded, then you are looking at a shortage in a product that is used on the last stage of ship building. Forcing a situation where a faction will have to protect that island, leading to great pvp batltes.

I think this is by far the most innovative end-game pvp for any mmog out there. There is even a way to win the game, through a faction aquiring the most victory points. It also has a great way of allowing folks to pick if they want to pvp or not, but at the same time a hearty bunch of PVP'ers can still make the carebears' life a living hell. Example being that if you (a pvp'er) notices that a certain port is getting a lot of traffic, you can declare unrest on that port and make it a pvp zone. The traders that were making tons of cash need to decide if they want to blockade run the pvp zone or move somewhere else.

So here is an example of making a product, provision. A single item on a long list of items needed to make a ship. To make this one single product, you need two accounts worth of shop slots to create it. (But you will have to buy barrels for the RUM!?)

Recipe: Defiant Frigate

Anchor, Medium 3
    Anchor, Small: 2
    Ballast: 16
    Cannon, Medium: 26
    Cannon, Small: 8
    Cannon, Swivel Gun: 6
    Hull, Large: 1
    Square Rig Large: 1
    Ship Provising: 5
    Sulfur: 4
    Wood Tar: 8

Here is the recipe to make provisions.

Sugar, Refined: 1
    Wheat Flour: 3
    Wine: 10
    Cheese: 1
    Fish, Cured: 1
    Meat, Cured: 2
    Hardtack(bread): 1
    Sack of Beans: 2

To Make Provisions you need these types of shops.

Basic Components
    General Plantation #1 (Maize for the cheese, Cheese made out of Corn??!)
    General Plantation #2 (Wheat for the bread)
    General Plantation #3 (Wheat for the Wheat Flour)
    General Plantation #4 (Maize to feed the livestock)
    General Plantation #5 (Beans!)
    Sugar Plantation (Sugar Cane for Rum)
    Pasture (Livestock)
    Fishing Lodge (Fish)
    Vineyard (Grapes)

Manufacturing
    Provisioner #1 (Makes the final product)
    Provisioner #2 (Makes Cheese)
    Provisioner #3 (Makes Bread)
    Curing Shed #1 (Cures Fish)
    Curing Shed #2 (Cures Meat)
    Rum Disillery (Manufactures Rum)
    Slaughter House (Produces Meat from Livestock)
    Sugar Refinery (Refines Sugar Cane)
    Winery (Manufactures Wine from Grapes)
    Grain Mill (Creates Wheat for the Bread)
    Grain Mill (Creates Wheat Flower)

What would you need to make all these shops?!

100 Granite
    113 Gravel
    33 Iron Ingot
    160 Common Wood
    22 Livestock
    4 Copper Ingot
    10 Limestone
    30 Leather
    1 Hemp Rope
    and 20kdb!

ALL THIS TO MAKE A SINGLE PRODUCT FOR A SHIP! Two accounts worth of shops!

johnnyonoes on
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for that post -- that's what I miss in a lot of MMOs: true crafting. A lot of people love it and if the market is good there will be an infinite end-game there.

For me, I like more adventury games but I look forward to the day when a WoW/LotRO type game can have a true economy of crafting like PotBS/EVE.

Timmer on
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So where's everyone playing? There been any attempt at a gathering at all? If not, we really should.

Seems like everytime I go to create a character I get kicked out with message saying it couldnt find the login server.

Harakhti on
    edited December 2007
    Well I'm on Black Bart, the EU server (with a british character). Though I haven't played in a day or two, it's weekend and I'm trying to avoid the busy hours as Black Bart's been difficult whenever it's busy (very slow loading times, other issues occasionally).

Fantasyrogue on
    edited December 2007
    I started a society on Rakham (Pirate), The Pirates of Clonakility Bay, there are only a few of us at the moment, but if anyone is looking for an invite just message me, or send me a pm here and we'll coordinate.

Playing as "Kevin Billard", my gf is playing as "Nattie O'Kility"

With the dispersion of players, we will probably end up with 12 guilds... lol.

PeasantDave on
    edited December 2007
    I'm playing on Rackham too but I'm Spanish. I'm in a society that's making ships.

Daric on
    edited December 2007
    I started a society on Rakham (Pirate), The Pirates of Clonakility Bay, there are only a few of us at the moment, but if anyone is looking for an invite just message me, or send me a pm here and we'll coordinate.

Playing as "Kevin Billard", my gf is playing as "Nattie O'Kility"

With the dispersion of players, we will probably end up with 12 guilds... lol.

Are you playing with other forumers because if you are I will delete my character and go Pirate. He's only level 13.

Daric on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just got into the beta, too. How many of us are there, what server, and what faction? I'd love to get in on some group action.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited December 2007
    Ok I deleted my character. I'm playing as Daric O'Killigan (Pirate) on Rackham.

Daric on
    edited December 2007
    I will be on again later this evening, I'll invite you and promote you so we can work on inviting more people.

PeasantDave on
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've got a french privateer on rackham. I'll go ahead and create a pirate there.

We can have custom sails/flags right? The seafaring populace shall be filled with terror and despair as our mighty wang banners fill the horizon of the broken dawn.

Harakhti on