As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Beef Below

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Beef Below

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Allaun SilverfoxAllaun Silverfox Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it's better than a hole in the wall. -.-;;

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Cafe De Morlock it seems.

• Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Hotdog fairy, you don't look so good.

Edit: Or is that a cheesesteak fairy?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TiamatZ wrote: »

Cheesesteak fairy.

• Options
    AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    TiamatZ wrote: »

That is the "extremely moist" Cheesteak Fairy. They are, how you say, very wet.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tycho's going to be eaten.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Cafe De Morlock it seems.

It's the best place for Christmas dinner.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    i've been to philly, this is 100% what it's like

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    Lots of C.H.U.D.s in Philly ...

• Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    I live Philly adjacent. There are strong opinions on steak, cheese, and the combining of the two. Fist fights have been known to break out. City of brotherly love yo.

• Options
    JadoJado Registered User new member
    John's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's are regarded as the best in the city. Donk's Cafe in Camden, NJ is regarded as the best in the Greater Metropolitan Area, but they aren't regular standard cheesesteaks apparently.

Or ask a local and suffer the consequences as they drag to their favorite stake shop. My favorite is in South Jersey, but that's cause I'm biased.

Go to Pat's and Geno's if you want to do the tourist thing. You and a buddy get one from each place, switch halfs and have a taste test with the sandwich halfs. Then you can tell everyone that you did it.

Then go get a good one.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Jado wrote: »
    John's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's are regarded as the best in the city. Donk's Cafe in Camden, NJ is regarded as the best in the Greater Metropolitan Area, but they aren't regular standard cheesesteaks apparently.

Or ask a local and suffer the consequences as they drag to their favorite stake shop. My favorite is in South Jersey, but that's cause I'm biased.

Go to Pat's and Geno's if you want to do the tourist thing. You and a buddy get one from each place, switch halfs and have a taste test with the sandwich halfs. Then you can tell everyone that you did it.

Then go get a good one.

If you are in the city and you want one of the big names I will always say Jim's.

And that is actually what Jerry went for. Quality decision Jerry!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I was wondering which place he decided on. I like Steve's myself, but Jim's makes a good steak.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is it normal for a cheesesteak to have marinara on it? There's a place here in Florida ( I don't know if it's a chain restaurant or what, I've only ever seen the one in my town but it feels like a chain) called Doubles, and they make an incredibly good "Philly Cheesesteak". It has marinara sauce on it though, which strikes me as odd, but it's frickin tasty.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That's called a 'Pizza Steak' here. No, it is not customary to include it on a cheesesteak by default.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What happened to the upload for this comic? It's a pixelated mess.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It looks fine to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I like that he's wearing the purple PAX unplugged hoodie.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    “One thing I never could stand about livin’ in Philadelphia. All the damn cannibals...”

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I think that's a wee bit hyperbolic, but I do know what you're talking about. It doesn't show up in the way the forum embeds it up top, but it does the way the PA comic page does:

dsqhbn49525q.png

And it's not just this one. It's pretty typical. If you open the image in a new tab, there's no problem. Haven't looked into the html to see exactly what the difference is (doesn't bug me enough).

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Huh. I misread the second panel the first time as "we have so much great flesh."

• Options
    ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular

Has to do with the comic being uploaded at a sized much larger than what it is being displayed at on the comic page.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

I think that's a wee bit hyperbolic, but I do know what you're talking about. It doesn't show up in the way the forum embeds it up top, but it does the way the PA comic page does:

dsqhbn49525q.png

And it's not just this one. It's pretty typical. If you open the image in a new tab, there's no problem. Haven't looked into the html to see exactly what the difference is (doesn't bug me enough).

Maybe it's a browser thing? Mine likes fine both in the forum embed and the new comics page. Using Firefox.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't think it's the comic, it's how it's being resized. You can see the same effect on most of the comics.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

dsqhbn49525q.png

Yeah, the default display has some slightly rough edges, but if I view the image on its own it looks fine.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Has to do with the comic being uploaded at a sized much larger than what it is being displayed at on the comic page.
    Maybe it's a browser thing? Mine likes fine both in the forum embed and the new comics page. Using Firefox.
    I don't think it's the comic, it's how it's being resized. You can see the same effect on most of the comics.

I played around with the html, and it's a quirk that seems common in both Chrome and IE, but not Firefox. And it's if you resize the image to EXACTLY a multiple of the actual size. On the PA comic page, the 2100px wide image is set to be 1050px wide. At the top of the forum, it's set to max-width: 100%, which winds up not being 1050px. I created a test page and saw the same effect at 525px (exactly 25% width).

From what I can tell, in these browsers if you use an exact multiple of the width/height, it does a simple resize (throwing out pixels). If you do something else, it does a resample (using an algorithm to figure out an intelligent way to resize). The resample has the benefit of being less jaggy, though if you really look you can see that it introduces a slight blurriness.

I think there's possibly an OS-level thing at work here as well, though. If I look at the same comic in Windows 10 on the same monitor with the same resolution hooked up via DVI KVM, it's slightly less jaggy. And if I look at it in Chrome on my laptop which has Windows 10 and a 3200x1800 screen, it's fine. I'm not sure how it would look if I told it to use 100% zoom level rather than the stock 150% (or maybe it's 200%). I think when it's not 100% zoom, you're probably already getting some resampling/antialiasing done at the OS level anyway that might smooth it out.

dennis on
  • Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is it normal for a cheesesteak to have marinara on it? There's a place here in Florida ( I don't know if it's a chain restaurant or what, I've only ever seen the one in my town but it feels like a chain) called Doubles, and they make an incredibly good "Philly Cheesesteak". It has marinara sauce on it though, which strikes me as odd, but it's frickin tasty.

Technically no, but a lot of places offer them with or without sauce. I live in Lancaster, about 45 minutes from Philly, and there's a dive bar downtown that makes awesome cheesesteaks. They have a good quality blend of meat they put on them, use provolone instead of whiz, and you can get sauce, onions, mushrooms, etc.. if you like. With all that stuff on there most people would call it a pizza steak, but the terms are interchangeable for the most part.

The shredded pork, provolone, and broccoli rabe that Jerry is talking about in the news post is real old school Italian. Generally considered to be what the term cheesesteak was first applied to, even though there is no steak. Those are good too. I forget the name, but there's a stand in the Reading Terminal Market in Philly that makes those.