As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Is there a reason (post game)
    that I can buy a star in the Mushroom Kingdom shop over and over?
    The collectible stars cap out at 800-something. You can then buy up to 999 for an additional reward.

Alright.
    Let's do this.
    It's not just that shop either, in the postgame all shops sell unlimited Moons. Be sure to buy at least one in each store, though, since the first one counts for the Kingdom's list.

homogenized on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Already did/got every moon possible before the endgame.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Ah. Since there's another shop besides the one you talked about that doesn't become available until after the credits, I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about that one.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Making it required to shake the controller to get certain moons seems ill-considered, given that using the Switch as a portable is kinda a big part of their design.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/super-mario-odyssey-players-use-glitch-to-break-jump-ro-1820622068

Well this pretty much got me past one of the only reasons I likely wasn't going to bother getting all of the moons, aka the fucking jump rope game.

Must rush to do this before they patch it! It's the one moon other than that final one I've given up and moved on from. And I'm more confident I'd get the final one eventually than I am I'd get 100 jump rope.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Making it required to shake the controller to get certain moons seems ill-considered, given that using the Switch as a portable is kinda a big part of their design.

Are there actually any that outright require it? In the 715 I collected I can think of possibly 1 but I'm pretty sure it was doable motion just made it easier (using cappys circle throw to collect music notes)

I still haven't managed it, but the Eastern Pillar one in Sand Kingdom doesn't seem possible without shake-boosting.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Those fucking Taxi moons.

I just......

Those fucking taxis!!!

Also fuck whoever decided to put the goomba eyes on the opposite sides for picture match.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I can think of a few where I'd say waggle was required. That one in the sand kingdom, the frog jump one in cap kingdom, some of the stretchy onion ones, probably a couple others I'm forgetting. Just for that extra boost you get on certain capture moves.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I can think of a few where I'd say waggle was required. That one in the sand kingdom, the frog jump one in cap kingdom, some of the stretchy onion ones, probably a couple others I'm forgetting. Just for that extra boost you get on certain capture moves.

Waggle is also necessary for the frog in the poison wave room in the Lake Kingdom.

But can't you waggle the switch when in handheld mode? It works for me!!

Technically you can but I found it a lot easier to separate the joycons for intensive waggling sessions.

You can, but you're shaking the entire thing, which makes seeing what's on the screen difficult at best.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’d like to say the picture matches are some horseshit.

can you feel the struggle within?
    Six wrote: »
    I’d like to say the picture matches are some horseshit.

I used bits of adhesive strips on my monitor to ace it.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Just take a screenshot of the face.

I feel stupid

I feel stupid

Well. No? The screenshot can be handy but you can’t overlay it on the screen.

It feels like bullshit because I think I did a really good job and fell two points short and it’s so boring I didn’t feel like doing it again.

It feels like bullshit because I think I did a really good job and fell two points short and it’s so boring I didn’t feel like doing it again.

Be sure to use the opposite sides eyes and eyebrows.

That is such bullshit

On the second one... I got uh...

Well I get 92% the first time. :O
    I knew art school would be good for something!

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I think they're supposed to look like mario!

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

Waggle is also necessary for the frog in the poison wave room in the Lake Kingdom.

The first part of this statement isn't true. You definitely don't need to shake for that room. The frog jumps nearly as high if you just hold the Y button.

shadowane wrote: »

The first part of this statement isn't true. You definitely don't need to shake for that room. The frog jumps nearly as high if you just hold the Y button.

Ah, I could've sworn it wouldn't cause i died several times before remembering the waggle.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    So that jump-hat-dive-bounce-hat-dive trick? I figured that out by myself. My point isn't to brag, but to say that it's hella fun having un-spoken yet obvious-when-you-think-about-it tricks built into a game. It's awesome when you figure something out on your own just by goofing around.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    https://kotaku.com/super-mario-odyssey-players-use-glitch-to-break-jump-ro-1820622068

Well this pretty much got me past one of the only reasons I likely wasn't going to bother getting all of the moons, aka the fucking jump rope game.

Yaaaaaassss it worked! Took quite a bit of noodling around to pull off but a pretty special moment of release when I got it right.

I’m not sure it’s easier to perfect than doing the legit way but it’s a hell of a lot more fun trying.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So that jump-hat-dive-bounce-hat-dive trick? I figured that out by myself. My point isn't to brag, but to say that it's hella fun having un-spoken yet obvious-when-you-think-about-it tricks built into a game. It's awesome when you figure something out on your own just by goofing around.

i've been spoiled by seeing a lot of Gifs of going to high spots using it. :(

But i have to say i like that it's not that easy to perform, so it still feels like an achievement!

• KupiKupi Registered User regular

That is such bullshit

My technique for the picture match thing was the stare directly at a specific part, usually centralized, and navigate Mario to the piece by peripheral vision. That gave me enough of a frame of reference to line things up where they needed to be.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Actually now that I think on it, the goombq picture match wasn't the one I struggled with

Post game
    It was the mushroom kingdom one where it just gives you mario's silhouette so you don't have any on-screen facial reference points

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I just finished that frog level without using waggle while on the train. Both moons. You never need to jump that high.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    Fuck these endgame hatless challenge stages

I am completely freaking out about the New Donkers.

light spoilers?
    Super Mario Odyssey is set on Earth. Except instead of being our Earth, it's some sort of world with robots and magic everywhere.

Mario is known to be a human, as is the regent of the Mushroom Kingdom (Princess Peach) and the regent of the Syrup Kingdom (Princess Daisy).

Mario and Luigi had parents, as evidenced in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but children are delivered by Storks.

So the nature of humans is different from our own.

According to the map in Super Mario Odyssey, the Metro Kingdom, that is, the one kingdom exclusively populated by humans, appears to be in France.

Additionally, the city is called "New Donk City" and has streets named after Donkey Kong Country characters. The Mayor, Pauline, was one kidnapped by the original Donkey Kong, now known as Cranky Kong. Additionally, she was later kidnapped by Cranky's son, the current Donkey Kong. Now, that would indicate that perhaps the city was founded by the Kong dynasty, yet pwoer was usurped by Pauline. Pauline was saved by Mario several times and it has been established that neither Donkey Kong nor Pauline bear ill will towards each other. This would imply, perhaps, that there was a consensual exchange of power between the Donkey Kong Dynasty and Pauline.

Then there's the fact that New Donkers all look extremely strange and dress in a stereotypical manner reminiscent of mafiosi.

Note that not even Waluigi, arguably the most warped pre-odyssey Human, has proportions as warped as New Donkers. New Donkers are the latest humans to be revealed. Note that many humans have been seen in the Mario Golf and Mario Tennis games, and they had similar proportions to Mario.

But at the same time, the human contestants in the original Tennis game? They look closer to New Donkers.

What does this all mean?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    See? This is what happens when you lick the cartridges people!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I just bought the Pirate Coat/Hat.

So I guess Mario is never changing outfits again.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

I loved those. First real challenge in the game.

A dog wearing a fedora showed up in the Odyssey a couple kingdoms back and I'm wondering what unlocks that.

• Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    I played Odyssey mostly in handheld mode and there were two moons I needed to detach my joy cons for the waggle.

Frog Cap Kingdom
    There is a moon on top of one of the houses. I wasn't able to reach it by just jumping regularly as a frog. Even jumping out of the frog as Mario at the peak of the jump didn't reach the moon. It was only until I looked it up did I realize waggling did something more in your transformations then what hitting Y gave you.

Bullet Bill Sand Kingdom
    Reaching the Eastern Pillar Moon as the bullet bill, I could not manage it several times in handheld mode holding down Y to go as fast as I could. First try with the waggle and I reached the pillar easily.

It was kind of annoying failing multiple times trying to reach those two moons in handheld mood, giving up, looking it up online, and finding out I was doing it right but I just need to waggle.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411

Relying on chaining slippery, yet unforgiving, long jumps over and over with exact timing is not my idea of awesome.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Relying on chaining slippery, yet unforgiving, long jumps over and over with exact timing is not my idea of awesome.

That specific moon:
    Yeah, I hated that. 10 hyper exact long jumps in a row with zero room for error is just blech. So often I'd either just jump in the air or ground pound, because there's no wiggle room in the button timing. If those blocks were just 2 squares or even 1-1/2 it would have been fine.

And the camera... Pick your poison: Take the high road, and likely have the camera wig out on you, which is what you really need when setting up the first jump on a time limit (the bullet bill is coming, duh). Or take the low road, you have time to spin the camera around and set up... but you just doubled your bullshit to 20! perfect jumps.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L3bcdGvv3s8
    I am completely freaking out about the New Donkers.

light spoilers?
    Super Mario Odyssey is set on Earth. Except instead of being our Earth, it's some sort of world with robots and magic everywhere.

Mario is known to be a human, as is the regent of the Mushroom Kingdom (Princess Peach) and the regent of the Syrup Kingdom (Princess Daisy).

Mario and Luigi had parents, as evidenced in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but children are delivered by Storks.

So the nature of humans is different from our own.

According to the map in Super Mario Odyssey, the Metro Kingdom, that is, the one kingdom exclusively populated by humans, appears to be in France.

Additionally, the city is called "New Donk City" and has streets named after Donkey Kong Country characters. The Mayor, Pauline, was one kidnapped by the original Donkey Kong, now known as Cranky Kong. Additionally, she was later kidnapped by Cranky's son, the current Donkey Kong. Now, that would indicate that perhaps the city was founded by the Kong dynasty, yet pwoer was usurped by Pauline. Pauline was saved by Mario several times and it has been established that neither Donkey Kong nor Pauline bear ill will towards each other. This would imply, perhaps, that there was a consensual exchange of power between the Donkey Kong Dynasty and Pauline.

Then there's the fact that New Donkers all look extremely strange and dress in a stereotypical manner reminiscent of mafiosi.

Note that not even Waluigi, arguably the most warped pre-odyssey Human, has proportions as warped as New Donkers. New Donkers are the latest humans to be revealed. Note that many humans have been seen in the Mario Golf and Mario Tennis games, and they had similar proportions to Mario.

But at the same time, the human contestants in the original Tennis game? They look closer to New Donkers.

What does this all mean?

Daisy is from Sarasaland, not the Syrup Kingdom, Which isn't even a thing that I can recall.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!