As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited December 2018 in Games and Technology
Everyone was waiting for the bubble to burst, and in a way it surely has. If your company name begins with a "C" and almost rhymes with a popular brand of masonry screws, well, the prognosis has been negative for a while. Everyone else, though, is going for broke. Although, if rumours are to be believed, things might just turn around next year. We'll see.

While not exhaustive in any way, here's a list of what's going on, games-wise, in the FGC

Street Fighter 5

Hard times or no, Sony has Capcom under its thumb and they are obligated to keep supporting this game even as personnel abandon ship. While many would still call Street Fighter 5 a game full of missing features, they are hard at work doubling-down by putting out an Arcade Edition next year. This free upgrade will feature new system changes and a roster of popular characters that should win fans over more than last season's bevy of brand-new additions. Even so, without actual changes to some core mechanics, its competitive play may still be nothing more than what amounts to a contractual obligation at this point. Take it as you will, but the only other fighting game to ever backtrack a console release into an arcade edition was notorious community-murderer Soulcalibur 3. Not exactly a winning formula to crib from.

For better or worse, we have the initial teaser for a second set of V-triggers that each character will get. Right now, we have to wait for the end of the Capcom Pro Tour before any major patches drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SbVKsuOZEs

Mostly, they're combo extenders and mix-up options, which is exactly what nobody asked for. Still, there will be flash.

As well, Ono tweeted out what is certainly a teaser for Sakura as the next character reveal. Wait for the real news next month.

Marvel versus Capcom: Infinite

With its rushed development, rumours of heavy railroading by Disney and Marvel, and rumours that the entire game's budget was less than Street Fighter 5's DLC, there's not a whole lot going for Infinite right now. Even the Monster Hunter character doesn't use the the One True Weapon, though at least we have a Venom incoming. (That voice, though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KT-rjVkxHY

And, yeah, rumours are that Marvel will finally let Capcom drop some X-men next season, but who knows? And who would think that you'd have to pay extra to play as Storm and Magneto in an Versus game? Still, stranger things have happened.

Tekken 7

Speaking of, Harada's insistence that all he really wants to do is unite the video-gaming world by letting everyone kick everyone else in the nuts has begun to bear fruit. Mr. "Don't Ask Me For Shit" himself brokered deals for not only Akuma (!) to be in a Tekken game, but also the man himself, Geese Howard, to lay the raging storm down on the likes of Bob and everyone's favourite narcoleptic vampire-succubus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK2TKFFtQA

Yes, it was anything but predictabo. (You knew it was coming. Deal with it.)

Less so was Namco giving us all the opportunity to get revenge on one of the most ponderously-named characters in times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrY6J2x_U8

That's right, now you can roundhouse kick Noctis in the head as many times as it may take to wash the taste of Chapter 13 out of your mind.

And maybe it wasn't so surprising after all. I mean, the evidence was right there in front of us the whole time. Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFAgZBzgbG8

Of course you do. Well, who do you think was sponsoring the Tekken World during which this particular character was finally shown?

vkwcgm5nj3ey.jpg

I'm just saying that it was right there the whole time, people.

Who's next? Who knows!

Injustice 2

But it can't be any weirder than this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcplJVn9dY

Warner Bros is Warner Bros, so I suppose they have their reasons. What might seem strange is that they're aping the 90s Turtles and not the current franchise, but it makes some sense when you consider that Viacom now owns TMNT, while Warner Bros had the license (through their purchase of New Line) up till the 2007 animated semi-sequel to those original movies.

Still haven't figured out the angle on this inclusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imphDe4bc_Q

Hellboy's reboot has nothing to do with Warner or DC, so maybe Ed Boon is just really, really good at talking it up to suits. I figure there's some chance that's true considering someone gave him money for a new game after Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. (A game so notoriously awful that its best player, upon winning the first and only world championship, openly called it one of the worst fighting games he'd ever played.)

Though things could be worse, I suppose. Their best and most well-known player could be someone who brags about being a furry and shows up to matches in weird cosplay.

cough.
SonicFox.jpg
cough.

Arc System Works

This is getting cluttered, so here's the blanket rundown of this emerging powerhouse. (And, yeah, I get that's like all those acts who win "Best New Artist" with their ninth album, but it is what it is.)

Guilty Gear Xrd is going strong.

But they have two new games on the horizon, one of which is an anime crossover title worked on by the Blazblue team. Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle brings together characters from that series, ASW's own Persona fighting game, doujin darling UNIEL, and the producer's favourite gaijin anime, RWBY. Like I said, crossovers are where it's at right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Qw-ztFrK4

They're also working on a little game called Dragon Ball FighterZ. Maybe you've heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBI0MU73nlc

Roster so far:

Andriod 16
Andriod 18 + 17
Captain Ginyu + Ginyu Force
Gotenks
Future Trunks
Frieza
Cell
Buu
Kid Buu
All sorts of Gohans
A rainbow of Gokus
Some Vegetas
Tien
Krillin
Nappa and his Saibamen
Piccolo
Yamcha

Fighting Ex Layer

If things didn't look dire enough for Capcom, the devs of their goofy 3D Street Fighter EX series have abandon ship to produce their own (totally not an April Fools joke) fighting using the original characters from that series. There's also some heavy-handed meta-game system in it that I haven't read enough about yet. Cards or gems or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KUkGOMNkGY

Yes, there's plenty more to discuss. What about that Soulcalibur 6 rumour? Will it have Sam Shodown and Last Blade characters as Harada has been hinting at? What's new on the air-dash front? Did Arcana Heart's kickstarter make enough to fund the brand-new characters? Why didn't next year's EVO trailer feature ANY Marvel footage? Would Sega announce a new Virtua Fighter game just to spite Tekken's recent award for being the longest-lasting 3D fighting game series? Is it still peposo if I use pork shank instead of beef shank? If not, what do I call it? All of this and more awaits you in the new and improved fighting games discussion thread.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I know we're a little late and I had to throw this together just now, but Eliza ain't the only one with a sleep disorder these days.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    Yes, I totally forgot KOF. Not on purpose. I had something. It will be there.

stream
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    It's good.

So much embedded videos in these threads. Youtube is gonna charge us for the bandwidth one day.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCxYsbfVAbw

Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late[st] is getting its English release on Feburary 9th, seven months after the Japanese release. Why so late? At least the name is appropriate for us. :(
    Edit: And no word on the PC version release date either.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like that the promotion leads with "looks bad!" and "hurts to play!"

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah... anything that advertises itself as finger blistering is probably a hard pass for me.

I shed a silent tear for anyone who sees Yuzuriha and decides to start there. And I hope his or her medical insurance covers carpal tunnel injuries.

stream
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    For Thanks-Raging on Twitch. Maximilian Dood is running a Vodcast Marathon of his Boss Rages. If you've never watched the Boss Rages I'd recommend turning in for the fun, the rage, and the horrific nightmare that is BIO FREAKS on its hardest difficulty.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    For Thanks-Raging on Twitch. Maximilian Dood is running a Vodcast Marathon of his Boss Rages. If you've never watched the Boss Rages I'd recommend turning in for the fun, the rage, and the horrific nightmare that is BIO FREAKS on its hardest difficulty.

N64 fighters were not good, but I genuinely had a lot of fun with that dumb game.

And I still wish more games would steal from Fighter's Destiny.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I picked up USF4 for $8 on the Steam sale out of curiosity since I never played it before.

Holy crap it has a lot of characters. Hope Sakura in SFV feels similar to how she does here, feels like a character I might main.

Ssapo!

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I shed a silent tear for anyone who sees Yuzuriha and decides to start there. And I hope his or her medical insurance covers carpal tunnel injuries.

Thankfully I'm a Eltnum/Waldstein person.

Eltnum's bread and butters aren't so hard.

edited November 2017
    Extreme Butoden was developed by ArcSys so it's the base for DBFZ.

Not a great video but Broly has to be the EVO reveal or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QFpSCpSOUc

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

I have Extreme Butoden. It's a good half of a fighting game.

Yeah, read it got a lot of "6/10" scores.

But that Broly with air dash + vanish is gonna be a thing to watch.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Cross Counter is streaming their Holiday episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYdtvbFSF4

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Man, that Nova / Ghost Rider from the LATAM qualifiers is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pldpauLfeGc

XBL - ArchSilversmith

stream
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    My body is ready.

stream
    edited December 2017
    I've been playing Xenoverse 2 and Nappa is a favorite mine. He has useful moves you can learn from him.

It got me thinking. After you plant the Saibaman, you could vanish and kick the opponent towards it.

Then the saibaman can catch and explode.

Giant Storm after that.

:P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

stream
    I hope they can show 21 next week.

I got the vibe she is gonna be able to drain energy and copy specials like Rogue.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh Gohan... you were gonna be so cool.

I blame Chi Chi. Also, I blame the fans that are all "Goku all the time or GTFO".

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I would blame Shonen Jump editors.

But come on, let ChiChi have her kid do something other than god-devil punching. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

On one hand, Super let all the left behind characters be relevant again, especially with this battle royale arc.

On the other hand it's still 'only Goku can beat the strongest enemy'.

At least Gohan finally had a moment of not-Jobbing in a 2v2 fight (teamed with best green dad). He's been Jobbing since post-Cell.

Do you know how long he has wanted to read Difficult Book?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Been playing Skullgirls again. I think it is just the best. I can't play it any better than any other fighting game, but there's just so much dang love put into every frame of animation.

Think my favourite is Eliza. A skeleton wearing a skin suit, who occasionally shows off by unzipping her flesh and saying "too spooky?" aaaaa, so gud. <3

My strongest character is Fukua, which is kind of a bummer since she's not real and doesn't fit in the story... But then I beat her story mode and
    "the joke is she IS canon!" OH SHIT

Oh brilliant
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    On one hand, Super let all the left behind characters be relevant again, especially with this battle royale arc.

At least Gohan finally had a moment of not-Jobbing in a 2v2 fight (teamed with best green dad). He's been Jobbing since post-Cell.

At least we got two lesbians using Goku as a punching bag for a bit.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless

At least we got two lesbians using Goku as a punching bag for a bit.

And got to see 18 destroy the magical girl parodies with the power of love.

Hey, 17 helped.

But this is getting too anime.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Gohan Blanco and Shaggy Red Shirt (Gotenks absorbed) God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ltPVoyNTM&amp;feature=youtu.be

Everyone is indeed waiting for that Ultra Instinct Shaggy reveal.

stream
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The soul still burns

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I wonder if Ivy's finally just going to be a giant pair of boobs.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Well, look at Sophitia. :/

But I don't mind. :P

Just hoping for fun movesets.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Well, look at Sophitia. :/

But I don't mind. :P

Just hoping for fun movesets.

They literally increased Sophita's breast size while reducing how much her clothes covered in every single Soul Calibur game systematically.