As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PSN] Black Friday 2017 and onwards!

UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology
y3NunAf.png

PSN Webstore

Amazon (US) PSN Store

PSN Community: Penny Arcade

PA PSN Friends List

FAQ

How do the stores work?
Each region basically has their own, separate store. SCEA run the American stores, SCEE run the European, Middle Eastern, Indian, African and Oceanian (all of which are usually shortened to PAL) stores and SCEJA run the Japanese, Hong Kong and other East Asian stores. It's honestly a bit of a mess, as some games get released in one region and then take months to come to other regions. The good news is that you can create multiple accounts located in different regions, buy PSN cards online and then buy whichever games you want from the foreign stores.

When does the store usually update?
Tuesday in North America and PAL countries, though some games are added throughout the week. Sales can go up at any time.

Do digital pre-orders offer pre-loads?
Often yes but the times vary depending on the game and the region. Usually it's a couple of days before release.

Are sales common?
The NA stores usually get a new sale every week and often get weekend-only flash sales. The PAL stores get a new sale every two weeks but often get new sales or additions in off weeks.

What's PS+?
Sony's online subscription service. On PS4 you need it to play games online (excluding F2P and MMOs). On top of that, it offers cloud storage space on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita (1GB each on PS3/Vita and 10GB on PS4), exclusive betas/demos and the Instant Game Collection.

Instant Game Collection?
On the first Tuesday of every month, Sony updates the IGC with 6 new games, 2 for each system (though many are cross-buy). You can add these to your account and play them as much as you want, so long as you're subscribed to PS+. If your subscription expires, they are no longer playable but if you re-subscribe later on, they will be playable once more.

Backwards compatibility?
If you've got yourself a first or second generation PS3, your system is backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. For every other PS3, they're only backwards compatible with PS1 games. The Vita is also backwards compatible with most digital PSP games. Sadly, so far, the PS4 isn't backwards compatible with anything. Hopefully that changes in the future but who knows. You can, however, use the PS3's remote play to play PS1 games on a PSP or PS Vita.

What can I play PSone Classics on?
Most of the PSOne Classics are compatible with PS3, PSP and PS Vita but it does vary with some games. The good news is all three support cross-buy, so any PS1 Classic you've bought for one system can be played on any of the other three systems, so long as they're compatible. You can also swap your saves between them. For a list of PS Vita compatible PSone Classics, check out the PS Vita thread.

What about PS2 Classics?
Currently, there's two types of PS2 Classics. PS2 Classics (PS3) and PS2 Classics (PS4). They're separate purchases and neither can use your old PS2 saves without jumping through a bunch of holes. But the difference between the two is the PS3 ones are straight emulated versions, while the PS4 ones are enhanced with trophy lists, improved resolutions and sometimes better performance.

What's Cross-Buy?
Basically, 'buy one, get the other versions free' across PS3, PS4 and/or PS Vita. It works just as you would expect, you buy one version of the game and get the other versions for free. Just make sure you check beforehand because sometimes the PS3 version of a game may be the only version that's cross-buy (usually when the PS Vita version is cheaper) or the PS3 and PS Vita versions may be cross-buy but not the PS4 version (usually for a very late port).

Cross-Play?
It's what Sony has labelled cross-platform online play between the PS3, PS4 and PS Vita. PS3 players can play online with PS4 or PS Vita players and vice versa.

Cross-Save?
It means you can transfer your saves between different versions of a game.

---

OP shamelessly stolen from Unco-ordinated

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
Uselesswarrior on

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Ok now let's talk Black Friday.

How is Steep? I was a big fan of SSX back in the day.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    New thread smell. Any good deals on the UK PSN? I need to add MORE games to my ridiculous backlog before receiving even more at Xmas.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I guess Tekken 7 is kind of cheaper, in EU.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Anyone got a good USB HDD that they like? I need to get one since I'm tired of deleting my games to install new ones.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Anyone got a good USB HDD that they like? I need to get one since I'm tired of deleting my games to install new ones.

I'd like to know what are some good options too. I'm guessing it's just a plug and play type of deal? I hope that it's an easier option of installing a traditional HDD.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just got a day 1 digital 20% off code in my email, so I'm going to take a look tomorrow/Friday during the flash sale to see what I can pick up. If nothing else, I plan on grabbing Injustice 2.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, if anyone gets a code they're not using, hit me up :> :> Probably gonna be doing a big purchase.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Oh yeah, if anyone gets a code they're not using, hit me up :> :> Probably gonna be doing a big purchase.

Ditto. Put me in that line :)

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    what are my best options for same system/screen 2 player co-op?

and are they on sale right now?

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    What genre are you looking for?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited November 2017
    what are my best options for same system/screen 2 player co-op?

and are they on sale right now?

For RPGs (well ARPGs), the console version of Diablo 3 is really good and Salt and Sanctuary is really good.

Some people are really into Divinity but I didn't enjoy playing it with my wife, she ended up playing it without me. I just found the pacing of a more traditional CRPG to be a little laborious when playing it with 2 people.

Uselesswarrior on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    at this point I'm just open to suggestions. I'm looking for things i can play on the couch with my GF. She excitedly bought a second controller for this purpose and I honestly don't know what a good answer is.

She hasn't been an active gamer for very long but has played most of the indie games i get through +, like she just beat fez, Stories, and tales of the borderlands, is currently slowly doing life is strange. She plays a little bit of all of the free games though.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Diablo III is the best couch co-op game on PS4 IMO. Overcooked is apparently very good as well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh, Gauntlet is also pretty fun in couch coop.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Thinking about grabbing Injustice 2. How is the single player in that? What else is there to do besides the campaign? I don't see myself going online very much, but $20 seems like the right price.

Will probably grab Andromeda too. $20 seems right for that (I know it's not great, but it's one of those things I have to know).

I should be playing Wolfenstein 2.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    at this point I'm just open to suggestions. I'm looking for things i can play on the couch with my GF. She excitedly bought a second controller for this purpose and I honestly don't know what a good answer is.

She hasn't been an active gamer for very long but has played most of the indie games i get through +, like she just beat fez, Stories, and tales of the borderlands, is currently slowly doing life is strange. She plays a little bit of all of the free games though.

Handsome jack collection, Diablo 3, Gauntlet, Dungeon Defenders 2, rocket league, Awesomnauts, Helldivers, anything Lego, Magicka, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, are all good options.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Tales of Berseria is great an co-op if you guys can tolerate a game that is anime as hell

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Don't know why but I keep getting tempted to go to the Redbox and pick up Everybody's Golf. I already have no spare time to devote to it and I'm not sure if I'd even like it (though I have liked golf games in the past). But here's that good deal just sitting there, waiting.

Brain, why are you so weird?

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Don't know why but I keep getting tempted to go to the Redbox and pick up Everybody's Golf. I already have no spare time to devote to it and I'm not sure if I'd even like it (though I have liked golf games in the past). But here's that good deal just sitting there, waiting.

Do it!
    I bought it launch week on sale and have yet to play it. So I'm jealous of the price.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I went ahead and about Injustice 2. $20 was the right price. And Wolfenstein II is $30, so I snatched that as well.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I went ahead and about Injustice 2. $20 was the right price. And Wolfenstein II is $30, so I snatched that as well.

The Injustice 2 campaign is solid. There's a pretty good amount of single-player online content too, where you go through various missions and work towards unlocking variant costumes and other things. Give it a shot.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Got Battlefield 1 Revolution for $30. Have to say, game looks gorgeous and runs at a smooth 60fps on my Pro. In addition to the DLC maps it came with a bunch of free lootboxes with fancy weapon skins and squad XP boosts which is nice I guess. I've always liked Battlefield Conquest mode types wayyy more than COD hectic kill fests, so very pleased. There's still more DLC on the way in December, January and the last one in 2018 so it seems like it's a great value (Revolution edition comes with season pass for all current and future DLC). According to stats, the PS4 edition also has a massive playerbase compared to XBO/PC (40k yesterday) so finding matches was no problem

Zavian on
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I just got that 20% off code from that promotion, and figured I should use it during this sale since there's nothing new I want coming out before the code expires. I'd like some thoughts on the three things I've narrowed it down to.

Yakuza 0: Never played a Yakuza game before, but it looks kind of neat. Is it easy to get into and fun right off the bat, or is it more of a long slow burn type of game?

Steep: Just something completely different than anything I have. Is it easy to get into and fun to just mess around, or is it more of a difficult sim type of game?

Mafia 3: I've been interested in this since it came out but the mediocre reception kept me away. What were the main problems again? Just repetitive and not very good combat?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There is a lot of talking in Yakuza. You're definitely not going to jump right into the action. But once you get to the part where you can start walking around somewhat freely, the series usually gives you a ludicrous amount of things you can do around town.

uyvfOQy.png
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Haven't played those before, but note that Mafia III is only $10 at Redbox

At worst, Yakuza lets you go to the arcade and play Space Harrier instead.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have what I feel may be a complicated question, or maybe I'm overthinking things.

I borrowed a friend's PS4, set up a Playstation Network account on it, and played the shit out of Horizon Zero Dawn. However, as far as I'm aware, the saves are to the console, not the cloud.

If I buy a PS4 this weekend on one of the Black Friday sales (I'm currently eyeing the PS4Pro + HZD for $400 Canadian at EBGames), set it up, log into my account and subscribe to PSN+, would she then be able to log into the account on her system, upload the save to the cloud storage, and then I could log in and have it available immediately?

Basically I'm trying to save myself a ~2 hour round trip with a USB key to pick up the file, and remembered I saw something about cloud storage once.

Am I missing something?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Forar wrote: »
    I have what I feel may be a complicated question, or maybe I'm overthinking things.

I borrowed a friend's PS4, set up a Playstation Network account on it, and played the shit out of Horizon Zero Dawn. However, as far as I'm aware, the saves are to the console, not the cloud.

If I buy a PS4 this weekend on one of the Black Friday sales (I'm currently eyeing the PS4Pro + HZD for $400 Canadian at EBGames), set it up, log into my account and subscribe to PSN+, would she then be able to log into the account on her system, upload the save to the cloud storage, and then I could log in and have it available immediately?

Basically I'm trying to save myself a ~2 hour round trip with a USB key to pick up the file, and remembered I saw something about cloud storage once.

Am I missing something?

Yeah. Once you have PS+ just have your friend help you out and do what you said. Upload the save to the cloud.

• WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular

To add to the previous suggestions, Id pitch Overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime... Ive got quite a bit of mileage from both with my lady friend. Theyre the type of game where you continuously need to work together, and its worth noting Overcooked has been the more stressful of the two on occasion, haha. It gets hard.

And while The Witness doesn't require a 2nd controller, I really couldn't have gotten as far as I did without her input. Having a 2nd brain working out the puzzles with me made it pretty memorable.

Witchsight.png
    Oh, my favorite couch coop game this generation is Resident Evil Revelations 2. Can't praise this game enough. There are two characters, each one highly supplements and supports the other. I had an excellent time playing it with my lady friend who isn't a big gamer herself. You can unlock skill upgrades that make the game a lot easier as it can get difficult, but I highly enjoyed playing through all the episodes in coop.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I never seem to get any emails from PlayStation for stuff besides when I purchase games or get the PS plus games. I heard of people getting special stuff from Platinuming games, like icons and backgrounds, but I've 100% Horizon and got nothing.

I then realized I've opted out from promotional emails from them. I've since turned it on so hopefully I'll be able to get that coupon soon.

steam_sig.png
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I never seem to get any emails from PlayStation for stuff besides when I purchase games or get the PS plus games. I heard of people getting special stuff from Platinuming games, like icons and backgrounds, but I've 100% Horizon and got nothing.

I then realized I've opted out from promotional emails from them. I've since turned it on so hopefully I'll be able to get that coupon soon.

I opted in and still never get those promo codes :<

Stabbity_Style.png
    Is there supposed to be a flash sale today?

edited November 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    Is there supposed to be a flash sale today?

There is a Black Friday sale at the moment. If I remember correctly, last year we had a flash sale on Friday adding more discounts to more games so I hope this year is the same. Best to wait for tomorrow before buying anything.

Armoroc on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    This is a pretty good sale. Probably going to pick up a bunch of stuff

I’m waiting to see what the flash sale is, then I’m going to jump on Injustice.

My wishlist is messed up. Looks like some things I deleted months or years ago came back.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Oh man, I picked it up last night and let me tell you: I love it and I am super mad at it.

It's a fun Golf game. Yes, it's "Arcade" Golf, but it's definitely got a level of skill required. The three-click system is so vastly superior to the stick-tilt system that I'm actively annoyed at whoever made that the default in Tiger Woods.

My main gripe is this: you can't level up in local multiplayer matches. Why not?! You can in single player and in online multiplayer (which I'll gripe about in a moment). So that means that my friends who play a lot of Tiger Woods and have characters that they are constantly advancing while playing against each other wouldn't be able to do that with this. It's just such an abysmally poor decision that makes no sense.

You can select from three tiers of skills (max, mid, low) or "My skill" which is whatever you've earned solo. But it doesn't change during play in the multiplayer mode. I'm honestly baffled by this, and the only reason I can't get as mad as I really want is because I got it for $10.

The other thing that sucks is you can't play couch co-op online. I want to play this from home against my two friends at one house who are on the same system. Nope. No dice. Just brutally poor. I am stunned that online couch co-op seems to have basically died with Left 4 Dead 2.

So yes, it's a very fun game that is absolutely worth dropping $10 on. But if you had any hopes of playing co-op, dash then now. Such a disappointment.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thanks for that Fawst, and while I didn't plan on doing much couch co-op (otherwise I'd be doing tons of Overcooked) it's still good to know.

I guess the silly memories of Outlaw Golf my sister and I had will have to stay as memories.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Is it worth it to get the protection plan for the PS4?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln