As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

External Hard Drive Issues

Windows 10 is showing my external HDD as an internal drive

basically this means that if I want to access it, my computer has to boot up with the external drive plugged in via USB. This is super annoying

any other computer I plug it into recognizes it as a removable disk, plug'n'play, no problem

I still have the option to eject the drive to "Safely Remove Hardware"

I've already tried reinstalling the drivers. Help?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Windows 10 is showing my external HDD as an internal drive

basically this means that if I want to access it, my computer has to boot up with the external drive plugged in via USB. This is super annoying

any other computer I plug it into recognizes it as a removable disk, plug'n'play, no problem

I still have the option to eject the drive to "Safely Remove Hardware"

I've already tried reinstalling the drivers. Help?

If it's a proper HDD, then even if it is connected via USB, will show up in Windows as a Hard drive, not a removable drive. You're troubleshooting the wrong thing.

If you boot the PC without the drive attached, and then plug it in, does it show up in device manager/disk management at all?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    no, it does not

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Was the drive attached when you installed Windows the last time you did so?

I wonder if windows put the drive in the windows equivalent of the fstab, which is a table of attached drives and how to mount them on boot.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    no, the last time i installed windows was the upgrade to Windows 10, and i bought the drive after that

also, it used to work exactly as advertised, and then i hadnt plugged it in for a few months and now its doing this thing

If it matters, its a WD My Passport X

Joolander on
  • Options
    ok! so, I plugged the drive in to a USB 2.0 port instead, and it works exactly as it is supposed to. any drive i plug into USB 3.0 exhibits the same behavior as above

so now I just need to figure out how to update my USB 3.0 driver, even though Device Manager says i have the most current one...

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    look on your motherboard maker's website for chipset drivers.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure "certified" USB drives showing as fixed when plugged in instead of removable is a requirement of Microsoft's.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    look on your motherboard maker's website for chipset drivers.

done

now the usb 3.0 ports are working fine, but the usb 2.0 ports need the drive plugged in on start up to recognize it