As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Impetus

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Impetus

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Dang it, now I want some subway!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The Punisher is better than a Chicken Bacon Ranch sandwich.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hah, that's my Polygon policy as well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I hesitate to call anything from Subway great.

And yet if I want a sub that’s where I go. So maybe I’m just trying to be snobby.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Polygon's reviews are pretty good though.

admanb wrote: »

What would Polygon say about Polygon's reviews?

Lucascraft wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

What would Polygon say about Polygon's reviews?

7.5/10

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I approve of anything that shits on polygon, though I will be honest and confess that I can’t stand them.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i'm going to chalk this one up to comic Tycho being a person of poor taste :(

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Any given sandwich that Subway says they make is a lie. Everyone knows you have to tell them how to build your sandwich step by step every damn time.

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    ok

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Am I the only one who finds this extremely anti-intellectual and reactionary?

Also, Subway is terrible.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Pyro_MonkeyPyro_Monkey Registered User new member
    Well if anyone reading this hasn't been watching the Marvel shows, yes they are a bit varied, but another very well done gem is Jessica Jones, if you haven't seen it yet go binge watch it immediately

• SolaceInRageSolaceInRage Registered User regular
    The only thing Polygon has in their favor are the McElroy brothers, who are at least up front with recommending nobody ever take the advice they give. Everyone else there act like trust fund college kids that the brothers are paid to keep entertained.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm only about 8 episodes into Punisher so far, but I'm liking it. But that's coming from someone whose exposure to the character prior is pretty limited, so it's not like my childhood is being assaulted.

I know other people have much stronger opinions about how it's not hewwing closer to particular runs of the comic.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, that's generally my personal experience as well. I've never read any Punisher comics. I have no idea if Medani, or Lieberman, or Russo, or Rollins, or any of those people are "real" in the comic world. But it was a hellova show, and that's all that really matters to me.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Polygon gave Subway a bad review because they're in the pocket of big Sheetz.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Am I he only one who finds this extremely anti-intellectual and reactionary?

No, you are not the only one, but it's par for the course at this point.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Doesn't their old pal Ben Kuchera write for Polygon? Wonder how they reconcile that.

Also, Subway sucks. Any other sub restaurant is better.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is PA in the pocket of Subway, or is Polygon on the toasted payroll of Quiznos?

Or perhaps both, and we are all merely pawns in a proxy war on behalf of monied sandwich interests?

YL9WnCY.png
  • zaitcevzaitcev Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    What Subway has going the most for them is their working hours. In most locales where I lived no other sub shop worked until 21:00. It was either Subway or McDonalds after seven.

zaitcev on
  • Bobart RobskyBobart Robsky Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice that Gabe seems to have rushed erasing the sketch portion of the strip, leaving little black marks all over every panel?

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Master thesaurian as he is jerry seems to have trouble grasping the idea of people having widely disparate opinions on things

If a review is harsh towards something he likes his immediate reaction is to assume he is an idiot and must have missed something, but... no. He genuinely liked the punisher and has valid reasons to... so therefore the harsher opinion must be disingenuous. What other explanation is there, if we are consuming the same product surely our reactions couldn't stray too far from the median

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • SkyscraperSkyscraper Registered User regular
    Everybody knows eating chicken with ranch sauce is code for white supremacy.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Master thesaurian as he is jerry seems to have trouble grasping the idea of people having widely disparate opinions on things

If a review is harsh towards something he likes his immediate reaction is to assume he is an idiot and must have missed something, but... no. He genuinely liked the punisher and has valid reasons to... so therefore the harsher opinion must be disingenuous. What other explanation is there, if we are consuming the same product surely our reactions couldn't stray too far from the median

No, this is worse. It's Jerry claiming he liked Punisher BECAUSE someone at Polygon didn't it. It's him consuming media out of spite.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Oh well the comic is plainly a goof

PNk1Ml4.png
    The news post, per usual, expands a lot on what the actual point is, which is that different reviewers are more or less valuable to different people.

But the comic makes a completely different and kind of shitty point.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The newspost makes it sound like they didn't care for Jessica Jones which... that was a really good, really timely piece of media. Polygon's stuff can be hit or miss, but I RARELY think they thought "too hard" about something. More often, I think Ben Kuchera is doing some kind of Armond White-esque defiance of accepted norms. I wouldn't be shocked if he wrote something like "Loot boxes are pretty cool actually."

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Any given sandwich that Subway says they make is a lie. Everyone knows you have to tell them how to build your sandwich step by step every damn time.

Even the things that are built in (just the meat) are all options. The menu is literally juat a list of time saving suggestions. It's what props up the whole place - the sub is exactly as good or bad as your judgement makes it.

Hevach on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Nothing says "we banged this one out at the last second" like the featureless color gradient background

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Ben Kuchera usually writes up some weird opinion piece that come over more as rants about something. Or he sometimes thinks Polygon is his tumblr.

D083uBC.jpg
  • MrMiracleMrMiracle Registered User regular
    Being consistently wrong can make a reviewer just as useful as source that is consistently right.

The best way to learn a new word is to use it 10 times in everyday conversation.

Today's word: Spankological
  • RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    A couple of years ago I visited Polygon quite a lot. And then, as the site got progressively worse I remember finding an article that was actually quite good. I wrote a comment saying something along the lines of that I thought it was a good article, especially considering Kotaku wrote an incredibly stupid clickbait article about the same topic.

I was then given an 'official' warning for calling the article clickbait, even though I did the exact opposite. I appealed, asking them to read the actual comment where I said they didn't resort to clickbait journalism, and instead made an evenhanded effort in describing the topic. I was then banned for a week because instead of doing that, they just read the word clickbait.

I never visited the site again.

From my understanding, it's only gotten worse as authors behave even worse then on RPS when you challenge them on their viewpoints.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah polygon is a trash fire . Don’t worry you aren’t missing much , or anything at all really.

EspantaPajaro on
  • beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The Polygon crew are collectively the absolute epitome of the pseudointellectual hack frustrated to still be writing low-rent pop culture drivel as they cruise into middle age, awkwardly shoehorning trendy politics into articles about toys and superheroes in a frazzled attempt to prove their credibility, that really they're bigger than their role in life as a forty-year-old guy who writes web articles about Pokemon.

People like that, by which of course I mostly mean Ben Kuchera, pretty much have to be the reason Penny Arcade Report was taken out behind the barn and shot after a year. I can't imagine a universe where G&T would want to have that on their hands forever, and I wonder how long it took them to first realize they had made a huge mistake.

beeftruck on
  • Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Hang on, you mean Polygon has content other than Monster Factory?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hang on, you mean Polygon has content other than Monster Factory?

If you know what's good for you, no.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    There's been a longstanding issue with Penny Arcade as a comic that crops up from time to time, and this particular comic is an example, of the blurry line between Gabe and Tycho as characters and Mike and Jerry as people.

Gabe and Tycho are intended to be characters. They have specific character traits, quirks, opinions, fetishes, beliefs, values, and habits that are not necessarily reflective of Mike and Jerry as real people. In many ways, they're caricatures of both Mike and Jerry and their particular cohort of late Gen X gamers in general. In other ways, they're more like pro wrestling gimmicks; based on Mike & Jerry, but with specific attributes cranked to 11 and other fictitious elements thrown in for comedy.

However, they're also in-comic married to fictionalized versions of Mike & Jerry's real-life spouses, their real-life children show up in the comic drawn fairly accurately to how they look in real life (alongside Jerry's fictitious niece Ann). Gabe & Tycho hang out with friends of Mike & Jerry's like Kris Straub, who shows up as himself.

It's all very blurry, and made more blurry when sometimes the news post lines up with a very real rant direct from Mike or Jerry themselves and Gabe and/or Tycho in the comic is serving as a direct mouthpiece for their own very real opinions.

It makes taking the characters in the comic as just cracking a joke or being caricatures of what Mike & Jerry really mean hard to discern.

A few weeks ago, you have Tycho (in the comic) petulantly yelling directly at the reader about EA cancelling a toy he was very much looking forward to and how it was writing on the wall about the business and so on. You read the news post and this wasn't "Tycho being Tycho" in a character way, it was "Tycho being Jerry". It was Tycho being the platform for Jerry Holkins' very real opinions. Opinions that, if you actually learn the whole story behind why EA canceled the game they did (which to be fair to Jerry, maybe he didn't know at the time he fired off a comic and newspost) isn't... isn't terribly reflective of the reality of the situation. But is extremely reactionary and entitled to what amounts to an expensive electronic toy.

It's a tough pill to swallow when someone uses their gaming comedy webcomic as a direct platform to jokelessly lecture a corporation about their ethics and how it's "bad for art" and how something is "offensive" one week, and then a few weeks later, saying something like this:
    If I see a review I don’t agree with, it’s my assumption generally that I’m an idiot and there’s something I’ve missed. That’s not my problem with the review I read yesterday. It’s that I don’t recognize the piece of media that’s being discussed anywhere in the review. I don’t even think the review is about the piece of media. I needed an excuse not to go there anymore, a fracture to catalyze a real break, and I appreciate such a crisp point of demarcation.

If it was just "Tycho being Tycho", this would be easier. If this was a bit about Tycho the character having beef with some other writer for some absurd imagined slight, then it would be a gag. But this is Jerry Holkins, the person, slagging another writer for using their platform politically in a way he disapproves of when it's like...

Mate, c'mon

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, you have Tycho (in the comic) petulantly yelling directly at the reader about EA cancelling a toy he was very much looking forward to and how it was writing on the wall about the business and so on.
    Pony wrote: »
    a toy
    Is that really what you think of video games?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its entirely possible mike&jerry have been nursing a grudge against polygon for a while because eg https://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4745068/opinion-outgrowing-the-penny-arcade-generation

obF2Wuw.png